• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Magnum Has the Best Barrel Life?

Dear Mr Shitgiggles,
(Sorry I didnt go back and look at your name)

I get the question completely. Dont listen to these other ninnyhammers, they are just jealous of guys like us(I bet your white lab coat is awesome).
Barrel life is very important. Its obvious from your posts so far, you are indeed a man who plans to "bring it". These haters dont have any real skill nor experience, made obvious by their snark attacks.
Guys like you and me know the score. I'm guessing you have a direct distributor line to Sierra like myself. They probably have caller I'd on you and address you as "Mister" as well. It's quite a thrill when they answer the phone, "Mr. Chikn, so glad to hear from you, we were getting worried we were gonna have to lay off 3rd shift on the match King line again. Would you like to go ahead and make your usual order of 250,000 190grain matchkings?"
I bet you get that too.

So anyway, enough establishing fellow barrel burning rapport with you, and on to a serious answer.
The venerable and ultra modern beltless 7.62x63 magnum is the cartridge you seek. It can easily handle 6k rounds with little throat erosion. It does very well with 190 class bullets up to 230 class pills.
It's a really great cartridge but few people are keen to its many advantages....it being so new.

Anyway, hope you like my answer.
Your humble servant,
The Chikn

Here’s the Magnum he’s looking for.

08ECAD1A-9F7E-4723-935D-52741BB61CB2.jpeg

Dear Mr Shitgiggles,
(Sorry I didnt go back and look at your name)

I get the question completely. Dont listen to these other ninnyhammers, they are just jealous of guys like us(I bet your white lab coat is awesome).
Barrel life is very important. Its obvious from your posts so far, you are indeed a man who plans to "bring it". These haters dont have any real skill nor experience, made obvious by their snark attacks.
Guys like you and me know the score. I'm guessing you have a direct distributor line to Sierra like myself. They probably have caller I'd on you and address you as "Mister" as well. It's quite a thrill when they answer the phone, "Mr. Chikn, so glad to hear from you, we were getting worried we were gonna have to lay off 3rd shift on the match King line again. Would you like to go ahead and make your usual order of 250,000 190grain matchkings?"
I bet you get that too.

So anyway, enough establishing fellow barrel burning rapport with you, and on to a serious answer.
The venerable and ultra modern beltless 7.62x63 magnum is the cartridge you seek. It can easily handle 6k rounds with little throat erosion. It does very well with 190 class bullets up to 230 class pills.
It's a really great cartridge but few people are keen to its many advantages....it being so new.

Anyway, hope you like my answer.
Your humble servant,
The Chikn
Damn cikn! The 7.62x63 is deader than the 7.62x51. Only boomers shoot them! Take a nap.

I started to respond at the end of page one and the saw there were two more pages. Holy shit! Looks like y’all got it handled.

Your response is not appreciated.
Now come back and write a proper response, preferably one that involves you answering the important questions.
Thank you.

I am not going to explain. Why has nothing to do with it. I want only to compare the barrel life of magnum cartridges, the reason is irrelevant. I find it slightly entertaining that people on forums feel the need to chime in on why they think the question and poster are wrong for asking instead of answering it relevantly. I also find it slightly entertaining when people act as though the poster of the thread must bend to the will of those who reply. If you have relevant information about the question in the post, please answer. if you feel as though you must inform me why I am wrong, knock yourself out. But just because I am asking a question, and you replied, does not mean you are owed anything. the entire point of forums is for either questions to be answered or discussions to take place. i am not asking to have a discussion about why someone should or should not care about barrel life. I am asking what magnum has the longest barrel life.
I see you met my friends already.
There is actually a lot of good advice here, if you read it with an open mind.
My response to your question was going to be a Tikka T3 Lite in .300WM has the best barrel life due to the fact that if you take it to the range all day you have had enough after the 12th round of ammo. The rest of the day you walk around looking for your teeth that rattled out of your head.... So, 12 rounds on a range day is bound to make barrel life last forever.
But, since you walk in to the forum all wound up with your panties around your neck and out of breath, I will just tell you to show a little respect. These guys know more about this stuff than you and I put together, and I don’t even know you! They are asking for more information to better answer your question. You should try again, and be nice this time. Otherwise when you come across as an ass there are several people here who will light your dumpster on fire. ✌🏻➡️

My response to your question was going to be a Tikka T3 Lite in .300WM has the best barrel life due to the fact that if you take it to the range all day you have had enough after the 12th round of ammo. The rest of the day you walk around looking for your teeth that rattled out of your head.... So, 12 rounds on a range day is bound to make barrel life last forever.
But, since you walk in to the forum all wound up with your panties around your neck and out of breath, I will just tell you to show a little respect. These guys know more about this stuff than you and I put together, and I don’t even know you! They are asking for more information to better answer your question. You should try again, and be nice this time. Otherwise when you come across as an ass there are several people here who will light your dumpster on fire. ✌🏻

F8B1BEFB-432A-4194-B25F-730BAF6978FD.jpeg

It wasn't lowlight. I saw OP sniffing around other threads about barrel life (congrats to him for actually trying to find the answer herself !!) while we were on page 2 of this.

It wasn't lowlight. I saw OP sniffing around other threads about barrel life (congrats to him for actually trying to find the answer herself !!) while we were on page 2 of this.
A cleaner question would be to inquire about various magnums and barrel life without being a sad panda.
Even better is to just search.
I search here all the time for information without starting dumb threads and I’m an idiot.

Ok serious post.
All this hand wringing over a shot out barrel...smh.

You know the most likely candidate for a shot out barrel?
22lr
Dont laugh till you've seen it. Why is this not talked about much? Cause very few ever look.
There are lots of shot out 22lrs out there....still killing squirrels.

"Shot out"is such a relative term. When I shot IHMSA, I heard lots of stories of XP pistols that had a 4" throat. Stories(actually true) of 20k on a barrel.
Those guns were talked about in that circle cause they'd still shoot 40x40 every match. Not only that, IHMSA shooters tended to be very thrifty folk as a rule.

Many of the barrels that are thrown in the scrap heap, would be "hunting hammers".

The last thing that should be on a gun buyers mind is"how long will this barrel last". If you are gonna do something crazy like get an extremely overbore cartridge like say...6mm super rockchucker....all bets are off.
264WM comes to mind, itll eat a barrel.
Believe it or not...243win can be a barrel eater.
Are you talking 30 cal only? Cause...this whole thing is rather convoluted.
Rule of thumb:
Starting at about 2900fps your barrel life goes down exponentially. That's not a hard fast rule, because it's a function of flame temp at the throat.
If you are determined to load 300blackout with LilGun powder, you can eat that bitch up. LilGun has very high flame temp.

There. Happy now?

Ok serious post.
All this hand wringing over a shot out barrel...smh.

You know the most likely candidate for a shot out barrel?
22lr
Dont laugh till you've seen it. Why is this not talked about much? Cause very few ever look.
There are lots of shot out 22lrs out there....still killing squirrels.

"Shot out"is such a relative term. When I shot IHMSA, I heard lots of stories of XP pistols that had a 4" throat. Stories(actually true) of 20k on a barrel.
Those guns were talked about in that circle cause they'd still shoot 40x40 every match. Not only that, IHMSA shooters tended to be very thrifty folk as a rule.

Many of the barrels that are thrown in the scrap heap, would be "hunting hammers".

The last thing that should be on a gun buyers mind is"how long will this barrel last". If you are gonna do something crazy like get an extremely overbore cartridge like say...6mm super rockchucker....all bets are off.
264WM comes to mind, itll eat a barrel.
Believe it or not...243win can be a barrel eater.
Are you talking 30 cal only? Cause...this whole thing is rather convoluted.
Rule of thumb:
Starting at about 2900fps your barrel life goes down exponentially. That's not a hard fast rule, because it's a function of flame temp at the throat.
If you are determined to load 300blackout with LilGun powder, you can eat that bitch up. LilGun has very high flame temp.

There. Happy now?
Why would OP be happy with this? It's words, and a lot of them... and some question marks. He wants numbers, in the form of a caliber. And then he wants us all to shut up. In his mind, it's a simple question that deserves a three-digit answer, to which he is supremely entitled.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Actually, coming from a country where you are not allowed to do your own barrel swap (a gunsmith has to) and a barrel change costs the same as a good rifle (approx. 1200 bucks), the answer to this question does interest me as well.

I know there is no such answer, because there is not only one caliber which might fit the needs of the OP, because you can make any caliber shoot slow, with a not to hot burning and less powder, to stretch barrel life.

But now, as my 6.5CM barrel comes to its end, I´m in kind of in the same boat, thinking back and forth if I should go with the good ol´ 308 Win, which ammo and components are all over the place and that even cheaper than the 6.5 stuff.

So, dear OP, no caliber can be named, because it doesn´t exist only one as such.
Maybe there are 20 or more which might be the ticket for you, so let me just say what I think might help, insisting you are asking because of the costs.

Over the time, the ammo will be more expensive than the barrel, so you might consider ammo costs as well.
Well then, the slower the bullet, the bigger the dia., the less the powder, the lower the burning temperature, the longer your barrel will last.

But on the other hand, you are asking for "Magnum" which might (I don´t know) mean you want to shoot LR?
So, the slower and lighter the bullet this won´t work, means it would be kind of a contradiction: longer barrel life vs. shooting long range.

It would help A LOT if you would tell us, what you are going to want to shoot with it.
If 1,000yds are ok for you, and you are willing to skip the "Magnum", get a 308 Win with a 26ish" barrel and enjoy a very long barrel life with some heavy and slow bullets.

Or, after this post, you might give us some more info of your needs, to put us in the position to give you an useful answer.
Honestly, your question is to unprecise to enable anyone to give you an advice.

Cheers,
J.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foul Mike
But, since you walk in to the forum all wound up with your panties around your neck and out of breath, I will just tell you to show a little respect. These guys know more about this stuff than you and I put together, and I don’t even know you! They are asking for more information to better answer your question. You should try again, and be nice this time. Otherwise when you come across as an ass there are several people here who will light your dumpster on fire. ✌🏻
Mostly agree but the T3 must be chambered in .338 Win Mag shit that thing KICKS! 5 rounds I was done Yep give me pink panties and call me Sally I don’t care !

Actually, coming from a country where you are not allowed to do your own barrel swap (a gunsmith has to) and a barrel change costs the same as a good rifle (approx. 1200 bucks), the answer to this question does interest me as well.

I know there is no such answer, because there is not only one caliber which might fit the needs of the OP, because you can make any caliber shoot slow, with a not to hot burning and less powder, to stretch barrel life.

But now, as my 6.5CM barrel comes to its end, I´m in kind of in the same boat, thinking back and forth if I should go with the good ol´ 308 Win, which ammo and components are all over the place and that even cheaper than the 6.5 stuff.

So, dear OP, no caliber can be named, because it doesn´t exist only one as such.
Maybe there are 20 or more which might be the ticket for you, so let me just say what I think might help, insisting you are asking because of the costs.

Over the time, the ammo will be more expensive than the barrel, so you might consider ammo costs as well.
Well then, the slower the bullet, the bigger the dia., the less the powder, the lower the burning temperature, the longer your barrel will last.

But on the other hand, you are asking for "Magnum" which might (I don´t know) mean you want to shoot LR?
So, the slower and lighter the bullet this won´t work, means it would be kind of a contradiction: longer barrel life vs. shooting long range.

It would help A LOT if you would tell us, what you are going to want to shoot with it.
If 1,000yds are ok for you, and you are willing to skip the "Magnum", get a 308 Win with a 26ish" barrel and enjoy a very long barrel life with some heavy and slow bullets.

Or, after this post, you might give us some more info of your needs, to put us in the position to give you an useful answer.
Honestly, your question is to unprecise to enable anyone to give you an advice.

Cheers,
J.
Tell me more about it being illegal to unscrew a metal tube.

R

Hi,

Several countries have such laws...not so much as unscrewing it but replacing it with another.
For example....replacing a pistol firing pin in Israel must be an approved, documented and accounted for transaction.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thats what I was looking for, where and what.
Hadn't a clue of these "safety' measures.

R

this comment is also not appreciated.

It is not 100% correct as it is not an answer to the question. i do find it amusing that you would assign a percentage to how correct you think your opinion is. the information you're asking to get me 'pointed in the right direction' is not relevant.

there exists a magnum cartridge, with factory brass, from short action to CIP mag compatible, with the best barrel life. that is what i want to know.

do you have any idea what cartridge that might be? if you do and you share that information with me, then i will probably appreciate it. if not, your comments remain not appreciated.

Must have factory ammo available?
Must have “magnum” in the name?
22 wmr doesn’t count?

The cartridge with the largest diameter bullet, stuffed into the smallest volume case will have the longest barrel life. For my money, that would be something like the 25 wssm...

Last edited: