• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What makes an AW ideal for cold weather?

nickorette

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
ON/CT
I know they have a bolt with small channels cut into it, to give it less surface area for icing, and a exteneded magazine release, but it that it?

Could you upgrade an AE with those simple things, say by getting a gunsmith to partially flute the bolt and order in a spare extended mag release?

Re: What makes an AW ideal for cold weather?

If its really that cold, then shoot your rifle should be bone dry... Nothing to freeze. It causes more wear yes, but hey better that than not functioning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nickorette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Could you upgrade an AE with those simple things, say by getting a gunsmith to partially flute the bolt and order in a spare extended mag release? </div></div>

You may want to contact Stacey Blankenship to ask that very specific question. If you have your bolt of an AE fluted, you may inadvertently null-and void your waranty. I have an AIAW. Am I going to operate in the artic environment at any time soon? The answer is hell no. That's why I move to a fricking desert. What I am trying to say is I am sure an AIAE will be more than capable of operating in cold climate. JMHO

Nickorette,

I believe the AE bolts have the same flutes as the AW's.

I don't believe it would be hard at all to machine out a custom extended mag release.

My .02,
Darin

Oh, so the only real functional difference between the two is the extended mag release. I don't know why anybody would get a AW after the AE MKII comes out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Per Tacpro:
Q. What are the main differences between the AI AW (Arctic Warfare) and the AI AE (Accuracy Enforcement) rifles?
A. The AE rifles, designed for law enforcement, are AI actions in the AI full length Aluminum chassis. The action is rounded and has a two position safety and a two stage trigger. They have fewer options than the AW rifles. The base model is in .308 Black with a fixed cheek piece and a 24" bbl with picatinny rail and a single stack 5 round detachable magazine. It will only accept the Harris bipod (comes with the Harris adapter). You can upgrade to green or adjustable cheekpiece. Weight w/o scope is approx 13.5lbs. The AW rifles are full military spec and used by 52 military units around the world currently. They use AI High grade steel flat bottom actions permanently bonded and bolted to the full length aluminum chassis. The Rifle is impervious to weather and corrosion resistant so it will perform reliably and consistently in the desert, marine or arctic conditions. Barrels can be replaced in minutes using the bbl change kit. All major parts are interchangeable between rifles of the same caliber. Available in black or green with fixed or adjustable cheekpiece, or folding stock, it accepts either the AI (Parker Hale style) bipod or Harris bipod, comes in 20", 24" or 26" match grade free floating bbl in .308 and the magnum calibers .300 win mag 26" fluted bbl and .338 Lapua magnum 27" fluted bbl. The AW has a rail cut underneath to attach handstops or handstops with sling loops. There is an integral butt spike system available that cannot be retrofitted. The AW has a two stage trigger (adjustable) and a three position safety. Weight around 14lbs w/o scope. The short action .308 uses a ten round magazine, while the magnum long actions use a five round magazine.</div></div>