• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What packs are people running for thier bugout bags?

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
I am wondering if you guys are using cheapo bags or higher end packs such as eberlestock, etc. I don't have any type of pack yet and am considering doubling my future purchases of and eberlestock to be used as a hunting, rifle match kit, and BOB. Any cheap (-$50) american made packs out there? Thanks

I have the 5.11 Rush 24 as my primary pack. It's around $120 new. It's a solid pack with straps that I don't think I could break if I tried. Has molle and plenty of pockets for compartmentalizing gear. I've owned the Eberlestock G4 and sold it after taking it out camping. I thought it was too heavy and while it had a massive amount of space, it didn't sit well on my back and was too unbalanced for me. Granted, comparing the G4 to the Rush 24 is apples to oranges, but I'm noting it because I've gone the high end big bag route and ended up preferring the smaller/cheaper alternative. I've since tried the 5.11 Rush 72 and 12 and also their Covert bag. The 12 is a good day use bag, the 24 is my bugout bag, and the 72 I use for longer camping trips. The Covert is okay and I understand the concept they were going for, but it's another bag I don't like the feel of.

If you wanted to go the Eberlestock route, you might want to try to find a used USMC GEN II ILBE pack. I've not used one before, but it looks similar in fit/function as the Eberlestock I had but at 1/3 the cost. I've seen a lot of people on YouTube discussing that pack system and how they use it as their bugout bag. Looks like a solid pack. Only issue I viewed it having was it being too heavy.

It might be big but I'm running the eberlestock G4 plenary of room to last a family of 4 for a few days

It's not the latest and greatest but I really like my Kelty MAP 3500. New from Amron for around $100. Has insertable aluminum back supports and a spot for a bladder. I've had mine for a few years. It's been hunting, hiking, and to the range. No MOLLE if your looking for that but a great pack for the price.

I use an old camelback 3-day pack for mine. However, I just picked up a condor and I think it is thicker material with better seams, and overall higher quality. The callback was $150 in 2006 in 3 color desert camo, and the condor was $40 a couple weeks ago.

following D4-3, I have a condor 2 day "assault" pack as my primary go, grab, and get the hell out of dodge bag. To sustain 4 people for 24 hours, its do-able out of this bag. Any longer, it would leave something to be desired. As a get home bag, its perfect.

I am wondering if you guys are using cheapo bags or higher end packs such as eberlestock, etc. I don't have any type of pack yet and am considering doubling my future purchases of and eberlestock to be used as a hunting, rifle match kit, and BOB. Any cheap (-$50) american made packs out there? Thanks

Cheap and American made. Tactical Tailor is the only thing that comes to mind. Unfortunately, you just missed their 35% off labor day sale, but I believe they have a couple of the 35% off sales a year. It is by far the best way to get really well made gear at an affordable price.

I have a Sandpiper of California bug-out bag. NIcely built with a lot of features, including hideaway straps, so you can use it as a carry-on. Around a hundred bucks, lots of colors.
Lots of people sell them including Sandpiper, but Amazon has a no questions return policy...
Amazon.com: soc bug out bag

We run mystery ranch packs. I don't have a "Bug out bag" so to speak. But mine is usually loaded for hunting or a couple days sustainment in the backcountry if need be.

Kifaru EMR, I also never seem to leave home with out my Kelty about 60L and I carry a lot of stuff in it. I think you pack needs are depend on your enviro and what type of camping bug out you do. If I'm going to have to hike a long way out in the desert without resupply I have to carry a lot of water, and very limited food. If I'm going to go camping in 0 degree temps I have to have a good bag and sleep system along with a good tent, with cook stove and food. Just wanting a bug out bag is cool but you need to look at details of what and how you want to do stuff.

eberlestock x3 lodrag. love it. for 200$ its hard to beat. the gunslinger is also nice and has more room but the x3 is 100$ cheaper and suits my needs just fine. get in touch with Ceylon from deltaoutdoorsman.com. he will take care of you.

DSG Arms has the X3 and they have a military discount, so if that applies to you, then you may want to look into it. I'm looking at getting an X3 real soon but for now I do my hiking with a really full Osprey Stratos 34. The air flow suspension system they have on that pack and a few other should be mandatory on all packs in perpetuity throughout the universe lol. I hike with mine loaded with 3l of water, a towel, and I think at least 20 full mags (however many it takes to get the mags+water to 35 pounds) and the pack makes it seem like nothing. I know that's pretty light anyway but the pack is really comfortable. Its a pretty small pack that I am considering buying another for a get home bag to keep in the truck.

I started hiking when I started looking into making a BOB or get home bag and I usually walk around 4 mi/hr for at least 4 miles several times a week and at least 8 miles once a week. I've looked at some of the larger packs out there that hold in excess of 100 pounds, and if as many people that get big heavy BOBs actually went out and walked a long way with them, they would be down sizing pretty quickly. With that said, the Stratos 34 is too small and the layout too inaccessible. Somewhere in the 50L area I think would be more ideal for me, but to keep me from looking like a crazy person around town I'll stick with a regular looking bag.

Ideally I would take the frame off of the Stratos and put it in an ALICE pack with some tactical tailor added pouches

Last edited:
I use a Coyote Kifaru Navigator as the family BOB cause it was issued.

I have my ACU Kifaru EMR stripped down to just the frame & cargo panel in anticipation of Elk season approaching.

DSG Arms is a good company that takes care of service members. That X3 looks like a good pack choice.

~Will

Some great recommendations here, and you could probably do with a dozen different make/model packs & be totally satisfied with your decision. Kifaru builds a tremendous pack, and you'll get some customizations bells & whistles that aren't offered with off the shelf options. Obviously I'm a big fan of the Eberlestock designs, and I feel you could choose from several different models in their lineup (depending on whether you want the integrated scabbard feature, or just a traditional layout). Eberlestock also offers a high value to price proposition with their packs, meaning that you can usually get into one without spending a ridiculous amount of $$ for a pack that will only be used occasionally or in emergencies. Finally, you have the sub $200 market, which is vast with many companies copying each other's designs, layouts, etc. You're going to have a hard time finding USA made at under $50.00 in new condition, but one that could definitely be thrown into the mix (if you can go minimalist in your load) is the ILBE Assault Pack. These are now surplus (Marines) & you can find them for $25 or more depending on condition. Those are great packs and (I believe) are Berry Compliant. If you can address your needs in a 3 day assault pack design, that one is hard to beat.

Best of luck & hope this helps a bit.
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Surplus Alice pack was about $30.

^^This, I have had an LC medium since 1985, and bought another a couple years ago. With a waterproof bag in the main compartment, it is my 3 day river canoe trip bag. Has been my day hunting pack, and anything else I need it for bag.

Eric

Thanks for chiming in ceylonc I hear a lot about you. I am leaning towards the eberlestocks because of their quality, price point, and internal scabbard design. I have also thought about the ILBE and alice pack.

-> 3 SEASON: Modified CamelBak Commander camo hunting pack @ 4,500 cu. in. (my mods are new REI Ridgeline padded hipbelt, custom 1" aluminum bar stock internal frame, bottom exterior QR straps, side pockets)

-> WINTER: Dana Designs Terraplane W/ Dana side pockets @ 7,500 cu. in. (MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes & adjustable ski poles strapped on.)

Yeah, Eberlestock packs are great for hunting but a Just One weighs in (W/expander cover zipped in) at around 7 lbs.! That's about 4 lbs heavier than a comfortable Gregory or Granite Gear pack of the same volume. You need a week long trip to know if a pack is right for you. Borrow and/or rent packs until you know what works for YOUR body. We're all built uniquely. Big hips, narrow shoulders? No hips and wide shoulders?

More importantly, what is INSIDE your bugout pack? How much 1st aid, what types of water purification, water container types and capacity, food, clothing, gun cleaning kit, cook kit (including stove & fuel), GPS, map(s) and compass, clothing, sleep system, shelter, rain gear, toilet and potty kit, etc., ETC.??

FINALLY, are you experienced in using all the contents of you pack in actual backpacking trips? Only this experience lets you know that your K Bar knife is way too heavy, that an ALICE pack is not comfortable for long miles on the trail, that a military poncho sucks as a shelter, that MREs are far too heavy and that your boots are too narrow after the first day when your feet widen under the load and you get blisters between EVERY toe. (don't ask...).

If your pack weighs more than 45 lbs. total you are in trouble, no matter your size. Get the weight down and make as many items multipurpose as possible. Go to lightweight backpacking forums and learn. Ya can't ride yer ATV forever.

Last edited:
If your pack weighs more than 45 lbs. total you are in trouble, no matter your size. Get the weight down and make as many items multipurpose as possible. Go to lightweight backpacking forums and learn. Ya can't ride yer ATV forever.

This is so right I can't thumbs up it enough. People don't think they need to practice because its just walking. But walking 30 miles home with the additional weight of a 7 year old kid strapped to your back is no joke. If you're preparing to use your BOB ever you need to include hiking with the bag in your preparation or you'll be limping at half the speed or less the second day of your bug out.

Also something I noticed on the x3 (just thinking out loud) is that the scabbard is included in the 2000 cubic inches (32liters) of its volume. Which means the pack part is that much smaller. Add in the 2 water bladder pockets and the pack gets even smaller. I think for me that strikes it out. 34 liters (31 if I take out space for the 3l water bladder) of my osprey is too small so I think I'll look to get a gunslinger 2 instead.

Can't say enough about the osprey suspension though. Just came back from a 4 mile with 35 pounds and I just love it.

I have an Alice pack and I even took it to Iraq once and i humped with one in boot camp. And as much as I love it for what it is, compared to a modern pack with a modern frame and suspension... It is absolutely a night and day difference.

Last edited:
Backpacks come in two basic designs; klettersak with a main single body and should strap cinched up with leather cord morphed into modern day pack and the clam shell from Greg
Lowe mid 70s that most 3 day assault type packs are. I prefer klettersak design due to thinner profile that does not hinder body movement and more weatherproof. Greg Lowe also designed the modern internal adjustable frame pack with his Expedition pack, one of if not the best backpack every designed. Every pack on the market now is a copy of his packs.

Clam shells hang on the body instead of riding on the body and even with Arcteryx patent waterproof zippers or those with a flap, water can still find its way in at an alarming rate.

Most customers now are looking for a brand name of who's who's kit. Retailers and customers do not understand that not one single pack name, design or reference fits everybody. Pack fitting like almost everything now is a lost art and virtually no one knows about it, how to or really care, its this is a brand name that everyone uses so it has to work. I would sit down and make list of things you want and want to do then find a pack that meets those needs, brand name excluded. Do not buy a large pack volume as you will fill it up with unnecessary kit.

Hunting toting heavy meat, bone or whole on moderate terrain I prefer a freighter pack. Once the terrain gets twisted, an internal frame works very well. Not all internal frame packs are the same.

BOB who knows, the term has so many different meanings but I think you will find most of these are clam shells.

Match pack, most anything will work just fine.

One pack that does it all? Good luck but if you define your uses you should be able to find that pack. Me, I find the WildThings Andinista to fit every role I need from a pack; 4200ci for heavy hauling zipped down to 1800ci for speed freak pushes.

If you want or need more help, define your roles a little tighter and ask, I am sure someone can help you get closer. Once you get to here, learning how to pack will also give more performance from your pack. There is not one right answer but tips will help as the body reacts different to different loads and packs. Only you can get it right through trail and error.

I use an ilbe for my go bag. Tske it in the woods hunting etc. Ive got like 65 bucks into mine. Mske sure you find one that has the top cover and waist belt as most are just the pack itself. I also picked up a radio pocket to make thingsa little compartmentalized on the Interior

i got the usmc ilbe main pack and 3day pack, cost me 300 a few years ago but I liked what I seen and snatched it up, looking back wish I would of waited another year and got it for 1/3rd the cost but it is what it is,
I have it set up were I can take off the 3day pack and have every thing is in ther that is minimal for situations all so has a few pouches on the outside for the kids pampers and wipes, but the main pack is set up for the long hall if needed, its heavy but dang bomb proof that's for sure beside the bag I have my sig weapons pack basic a nicer voodoo gun pack that has the ar pistol an mags ide plan on dumping that bag its just to keep the guns clean an safe

I too have a Kifaru, they're closer to me here in Colorado so they built it up to fit me

I use the Eberlestock Phantom pack that holds 3/4 of my B.O.B. contents. The other 1/4 is in my tiny patrol pack (no idea the brand) that I got at the local surplus store and clips to the Phantom. I keep the Phantom at home while my patrol pack stays in the trunk of my car.

The patrol pack holds the bare necessities like waterproof matches, compass, emergency blanket, pistol, etc, while the Phantom holds my spare clothes, mini stove, jungle pack, water filter, ammo, rifle, etc.

My wife is currently rocking an old A.L.I.C.E. ruck for her stuff. She's moving up to a hiking pack whenever she decides to buy one.

The Eberlestock is waaaay over priced, but it's a quality bag and works for me.

Another Eberlestock X3 LowDrag here. It is a tad small, but it works for me. I may pick up a gunslinger one of these days for a little extra room, but I have pretty much everything I need in the X3.

5.11 rush for me. Also currently looking for a lighter EDC, get home, truck bag type. thinking tactical tailor fight light for this.

I've got an Eberlestock Phantom that I use for my ruck, bug out bag, etc. Great pack.

This...
19710e14b9bc56a40efd9f0270941597_zpsb551acac.jpg

Not the best but Very lightweight and pretty cheap...

I call BS. I humped a much heavier pack in much worse environments than my home location.

I call BS. I humped a much heavier pack in much worse environments than my home location.

Agreed. It also depends on what kind of packing list you plan on having i.e. will you carry your food or hunt for it? Are you just trying to make it home asap or will you be moving cross country? Winter or summer packing list?

That's why I have two packs. My tiny patrol pack with the bare essentials for survival, and then my Phantom pack for extended survival if I can grab it.

The backpacking community takes their packs seriously, the the undisputed leader is Dan McHale. If you have the coin, he'll build a pack around your body and requirements, and won't be satisfied until after you've used his demo pack over a couple of days hiking. Over the course of 3 months, we spent over 2hrs on the phone going through requirements and measurements, and I sent more pictures then I care to recall. In the end, I had a pack built to my measurements that I took up Denali, and wouldn't do it any other way.

McHale Custom Ultralight Fitted Internal Frame Backpacks

-> 3 SEASON: Modified CamelBak Commander camo hunting pack @ 4,500 cu. in. (my mods are new REI Ridgeline padded hipbelt, custom 1" aluminum bar stock internal frame, bottom exterior QR straps, side pockets)

-> WINTER: Dana Designs Terraplane W/ Dana side pockets @ 7,500 cu. in. (MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes & adjustable ski poles strapped on.)

Yeah, Eberlestock packs are great for hunting but a Just One weighs in (W/expander cover zipped in) at around 7 lbs.! That's about 4 lbs heavier than a comfortable Gregory or Granite Gear pack of the same volume. You need a week long trip to know if a pack is right for you. Borrow and/or rent packs until you know what works for YOUR body. We're all built uniquely. Big hips, narrow shoulders? No hips and wide shoulders?

More importantly, what is INSIDE your bugout pack? How much 1st aid, what types of water purification, water container types and capacity, food, clothing, gun cleaning kit, cook kit (including stove & fuel), GPS, map(s) and compass, clothing, sleep system, shelter, rain gear, toilet and potty kit, etc., ETC.??

FINALLY, are you experienced in using all the contents of you pack in actual backpacking trips? Only this experience lets you know that your K Bar knife is way too heavy, that an ALICE pack is not comfortable for long miles on the trail, that a military poncho sucks as a shelter, that MREs are far too heavy and that your boots are too narrow after the first day when your feet widen under the load and you get blisters between EVERY toe. (don't ask...).

Eric,

You do make some really good points, and the equipment/things you mention suggest that you also have a backpacking or mountaineering background (like I do). I also have a Terraplane pack that I've had since back when Dana produced them in Montana, and that pack is definitely a non-tacticool heavy hauler! In the past I've lugged over 70lbs worth of gear up mountains in this pack, and it definitely serves that role well (and 70lbs of technical climbing equipment, in double plastic boots, when it's -20F and snowing just plain sucks, regardless of pack choice).

I think you also make some good points regarding the skills/knowledge that a lot of folks can pick up through the lightweight backpacking community. These days I rarely use my Terraplane except for winter trips or more involved mountaineering trips. During the other 3-seasons I backpack with a lightweight Granite Gear pack, and can keep my total weight under 20lbs for a 4-day trip (excluding water weight).

As for pack choices, I don't know that I'd automatically eliminate the heavier choices, since an individual's mission may play a big role in deciding which pack to use. My current arsenal of serious packs (bigger than daypacks) includes my Dana Designs Terraplane (5800 cubic inches if memory serves, and 6lbs 11oz on my scale), a Granite Gear Latitude (around 2500 cubic inches from my memory, and 2lbs 8 oz on my scale), and my new Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack (7lbs 0oz on my scale, and 2700 cubic inches per the manufacturer).

Of my packs I'd say that the Terraplane is the best big volume load hauler; it's the largest pack, and has a well-designed suspension system for heavy loads. But, it has no provision for carrying a firearm, doesn't have sufficient attachment points on the outside of the pack for shooting-related accessories, and is a top load only design (except for the sleeping bag compartment -- which will fit my -20F Western Mountaineering bag). My Granite Gear pack is the king of the lightweight packs I've used; it's a comfortable pack, is smaller volume, and is panel loading. But, it lacks a heavy-duty suspension system, and probably wouldn't work well if loaded to more than 35lbs. It's also made out of lightweight materials (read: less durable), and leaves no real provisions for attaching a long gun. My Eberlestock pack is the heaviest of the bunch. It's also made from 1000 denier cordura, and looks like you could drag it behind the car for a while with minimal damage. It is set up with a ton of Molle webbing for accessory attachment. It isn't the biggest pack of the bunch, and is fairly close in size to the Granite Gear pack. But, it's also the only pack of the bunch that is really suitable for carrying a long gun for any length of time. The shoulder straps and hip belt on the Gunslinger aren't as burly as the one's found on my Terraplane, but this also makes me more nimble with this pack on, and it is easier to shoulder a long gun while wearing this pack.

Weight is an important consideration, but the mission often determines the necessary weight of the equipment. My near 11lb mountaineering tent is ridiculously heavy for backpacking in summer, but it is a design that some of my friends have used on Everest, and it has saved my ass a few times in brutal winter conditions on mountains. My 3lb summer tent isn't constructed very strongly by comparison, but it is lightweight, packs easy, and ventilates great in the summer... the mission determines which one of these tents gets loaded in the pack.

But, anyway, you hit the nail on the head with most of your points, and I agree that experience is the best teacher in most cases... I laughed at some of your comments because they're so true: the new guy carrying MRE's and canned food quickly learns why experienced hikers don't. And, the guy who has never carried 50lbs quickly learns why most of us don't like to. But, for an emergency pack an MRE or two isn't always a bad idea, depending on the needs of the mission. Still, a homemade alcohol burning stove, titanium kettle, and a few freeze dried meals often weigh less than a single MRE, and give the user some more flexibility. And, while a lightweight setup is ideal, sometimes weight is unavoidable. Of course, that brings the importance of training back into this discussion!

Your signature line pretty much sums up my 20+ years of backpacking experience, too: "There no comfortable packs, merely packs that are less uncomfortable than others."

In terms of personal opinions regarding bug out bags, I think people also ought to consider the profile they're trying to keep. A civilian backpacking pack is easily ignored by people in a time of emergency. A military-style tacticool camo pack is not so easily dismissed, especially with a gun scabbard, but might provide more opportunities for "disappearing" into the surroundings, and more options for carrying hardware that one might choose to carry in an emergency. Me? I like gear, and I have both types... and I'm not really planning on bugging out any time soon :)

FINAL THOUGHT: Whenever possible get your pack fitted to you! Wear it in the store with a typical load of gear inside of it, and keep it on for a while. If at all possible, try the pack in the real world before buying it. I've done this with every pack I have (except the Eberlestock -- it was a gift, and that model wasn't around in local stores).

Last edited:

Agreed. It also depends on what kind of packing list you plan on having i.e. will you carry your food or hunt for it? Are you just trying to make it home asap or will you be moving cross country? Winter or summer packing list?

That's why I have two packs. My tiny patrol pack with the bare essentials for survival, and then my Phantom pack for extended survival if I can grab it.

Speed is safety no matter the environment or AO. The lighter your pack load the faster you move equals the less time you spend in harms way. Humping a heavy ruck absolutely can be done and is done but if that weight was cut in quarter, third or half, you can move faster spending less time in the open and burning less energy.

45 pounds is a good starting reference for the body with the more weight added, the body slows down at an exponential rate the heavier the load gets.

Eric,

You do make some really good points, and the equipment/things you mention suggest that you also have a backpacking or mountaineering background (like I do). I also have a Terraplane pack that I've had since back when Dana produced them in Montana, and that pack is definitely a non-tacticool heavy hauler! In the past I've lugged over 70lbs worth of gear up mountains in this pack, and it definitely serves that role well (and 70lbs of technical climbing equipment, in double plastic boots, when it's -20F and snowing just plain sucks, regardless of pack choice).

I think you also make some good points regarding the skills/knowledge that a lot of folks can pick up through the lightweight backpacking community. These days I rarely use my Terraplane except for winter trips or more involved mountaineering trips. During the other 3-seasons I backpack with a lightweight Granite Gear pack, and can keep my total weight under 20lbs for a 4-day trip (excluding water weight).

As for pack choices, I don't know that I'd automatically eliminate the heavier choices, since an individual's mission may play a big role in deciding which pack to use. My current arsenal of serious packs (bigger than daypacks) includes my Dana Designs Terraplane (5800 cubic inches if memory serves, and 6lbs 11oz on my scale), a Granite Gear Latitude (around 2500 cubic inches from my memory, and 2lbs 8 oz on my scale), and my new Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack (7lbs 0oz on my scale, and 2700 cubic inches per the manufacturer).

Of my packs I'd say that the Terraplane is the best big volume load hauler; it's the largest pack, and has a well-designed suspension system for heavy loads. But, it has no provision for carrying a firearm, doesn't have sufficient attachment points on the outside of the pack for shooting-related accessories, and is a top load only design (except for the sleeping bag compartment -- which will fit my -20F Western Mountaineering bag). My Granite Gear pack is the king of the lightweight packs I've used; it's a comfortable pack, is smaller volume, and is panel loading. But, it lacks a heavy-duty suspension system, and probably wouldn't work well if loaded to more than 35lbs. It's also made out of lightweight materials (read: less durable), and leaves no real provisions for attaching a long gun. My Eberlestock pack is the heaviest of the bunch. It's also made from 1000 denier cordura, and looks like you could drag it behind the car for a while with minimal damage. It is set up with a ton of Molle webbing for accessory attachment. It isn't the biggest pack of the bunch, and is fairly close in size to the Granite Gear pack. But, it's also the only pack of the bunch that is really suitable for carrying a long gun for any length of time. The shoulder straps and hip belt on the Gunslinger aren't as burly as the one's found on my Terraplane, but this also makes me more nimble with this pack on, and it is easier to shoulder a long gun while wearing this pack.

Weight is an important consideration, but the mission often determines the necessary weight of the equipment. My near 11lb mountaineering tent is ridiculously heavy for backpacking in summer, but it is a design that some of my friends have used on Everest, and it has saved my ass a few times in brutal winter conditions on mountains. My 3lb summer tent isn't constructed very strongly by comparison, but it is lightweight, packs easy, and ventilates great in the summer... the mission determines which one of these tents gets loaded in the pack.

But, anyway, you hit the nail on the head with most of your points, and I agree that experience is the best teacher in most cases... I laughed at some of your comments because they're so true: the new guy carrying MRE's and canned food quickly learns why experienced hikers don't. And, the guy who has never carried 50lbs quickly learns why most of us don't like to. But, for an emergency pack an MRE or two isn't always a bad idea, depending on the needs of the mission. Still, a homemade alcohol burning stove, titanium kettle, and a few freeze dried meals often weigh less than a single MRE, and give the user some more flexibility. And, while a lightweight setup is ideal, sometimes weight is unavoidable. Of course, that brings the importance of training back into this discussion!

Your signature line pretty much sums up my 20+ years of backpacking experience, too: "There no comfortable packs, merely packs that are less uncomfortable than others."

In terms of personal opinions regarding bug out bags, I think people also ought to consider the profile they're trying to keep. A civilian backpacking pack is easily ignored by people in a time of emergency. A military-style tacticool camo pack is not so easily dismissed, especially with a gun scabbard, but might provide more opportunities for "disappearing" into the surroundings, and more options for carrying hardware that one might choose to carry in an emergency. Me? I like gear, and I have both types... and I'm not really planning on bugging out any time soon :)

FINAL THOUGHT: Whenever possible get your pack fitted to you! Wear it in the store with a typical load of gear inside of it, and keep it on for a while. If at all possible, try the pack in the real world before buying it. I've done this with every pack I have (except the Eberlestock -- it was a gift, and that model wasn't around in local stores).

Good points but what tent are you schlepping at 11 pounds? Come on man get something lighter!

Try the Gregory Denali over the Dana, a much better designed heavy hauler.

Pack fitting is another lost art. Sure someone can do this and that but a true pack fitter is very hard to find these days.

McHale pack as someone mentioned, have to be used to be understood but I still prefer my technora Andinista.

That may be true, but I agree with Eric that the average Joe would be hard pressed to walk more than a few miles with a 40lb backpack with no internal frame to shift the load to the hip belt regardless of terrain.

That's my beef with the Eberlestock packs, nice for transporting a long gun but no internal frame to shift the load to the hips. Try filling one up with a rifle, ammo and 20-30 lbs of gear and humping it any distance at all. Feels like its going to pull your shoulders off. The Micky Mouse wire frame they make is only good to help keep the pack upright, doesn't do squat to assist in carrying a heavy load.

Lets face it, there's a romantic notion with BOB's of striking out into the hills with guns, ammo and enough supplies to sustain you for weeks on end if the SHTF. Practically speaking, all you need is a relatively small, light and inconspicuous backpack with essentials like water, snacks, basic first aid and maybe a few other basics to get you from point A to point B in case of emergency.

i would not call it a bug out bag, i would call it a holy shit did you see that and this is what i have on me bag.....

yep, my everyday carry is an oakley backpack, being the movie buff i am i got the same model as eli in book of eli.

it has a medical kit, water purification filter, canteen will metal cup. vietnam issue. swedish mil poncho because it is thicker than the american ones, USMC knife, good flash light. some swine. fire starting kit. multi tool , nomex gloves. boonie hat, a bottle of hot sauce, it makes everything taste better. cut down tooth brush and some of those floss slash toothpicks. ammo for my glock and extra mags, ammo for my main rifle. and some packets of sugar. does wonders when you get all hot and light headed sometimes.

in SHTF scenarios learn to live like a ghost, don;t look for fights and try to avoid them, because no one will be there to sew you up.

i could survive for a week or two. with some real luck maybe a month or so with just that back pack. weighs less than 30 pounds. and i walk with it pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:
That may be true, but I agree with Eric that the average Joe would be hard pressed to walk more than a few miles with a 40lb backpack with no internal frame to shift the load to the hip belt regardless of terrain.

That's my beef with the Eberlestock packs, nice for transporting a long gun but no internal frame to shift the load to the hips. Try filling one up with a rifle, ammo and 20-30 lbs of gear and humping it any distance at all. Feels like its going to pull your shoulders off. The Micky Mouse wire frame they make is only good to help keep the pack upright, doesn't do squat to assist in carrying a heavy load.

Lets face it, there's a romantic notion with BOB's of striking out into the hills with guns, ammo and enough supplies to sustain you for weeks on end if the SHTF. Practically speaking, all you need is a relatively small, light and inconspicuous backpack with essentials like water, snacks, basic first aid and maybe a few other basics to get you from point A to point B in case of emergency.

The new Eberlestock design has a full internal frame... I just got mine, so I'm still evaluating it. But, it's a lot different than the semi-floppy frame sheets I've heard of them using in the past.

Good points but what tent are you schlepping at 11 pounds? Come on man get something lighter!

Try the Gregory Denali over the Dana, a much better designed heavy hauler.

Pack fitting is another lost art. Sure someone can do this and that but a true pack fitter is very hard to find these days.

McHale pack as someone mentioned, have to be used to be understood but I still prefer my technora Andinista.

Eh, i was a bit off on the tent weight... more like 9lbs 11oz (per the official fishing-type gear scale at my house). It's an older model Mountain Hardwear Trango 2. It's a great solid tent, albeit not very light by today's standards. But, it was the cream of the crop back when I got it! I've had that thing through hell and back, and just can't part with it. A friend put an ice axe through the fly on Mt Washington during a January climb with me about ten years ago, and MH sent me a new rainfly for free, despite me telling them what happened. The new fly has more modern orange and gray colors, while my tent body is in the old-style teal blue color. Together these colors look hideous, but it's still a fine tent :)

When I need a really light option I usually just carry an OR bivy bag, or rely on one of my three season tents. But, when it comes to the wicked weather, the Trango just does what needs to be done!

As for packs, I've had my Dana since probably 1995 or so. I've always like the concept of the Gregory Denali pack as well, and used to sell these at a gear shop I worked at... just never got around to pro-dealing one, and by the time I thought about it I was doing a lot more ultralight backpacking. You're definitely right that pack fitting has become a lost art! We used to do full pack fits at the place I worked at in college, but these days you're hard pressed to find anyone who wants to fit you, or anyone who's competent at doing so.

I'll have to look into McHale sometime...

Last edited:

I agree, especially with the current BOB and all the TV shows that make it seem fun to run to the hills with a small load of kit to survive, its real life not TV!

i would not call it a bug out bag, i would call it a holy shit did you see that and this is what i have on me bag.....

yep, my everyday carry is an oakley backpack, being the movie buff i am i got the same model as eli in book of eli.

it has a medical kit, water purification filter, canteen will metal cup. vietnam issue. swedish mil poncho because it is thicker than the american ones, USMC knife, good flash light. some swine. fire starting kit. multi tool , nomex gloves. boonie hat, a bottle of hot sauce, it makes everything taste better. cut down tooth brush and some of those floss slash toothpicks. ammo for my glock and extra mags, ammo for my main rifle. and some packets of sugar. does wonders when you get all hot and light headed sometimes.

in SHTF scenarios learn to live like a ghost, don;t look for fights and try to avoid them, because no one will be there to sew you up.

i could survive for a week or two. with some real luck maybe a month or so with just that back pack. weighs less than 30 pounds. and i walk with it pretty much everywhere.

As a guide and instructor, its all about knowledge on survival, not what is in the BOB or the BOB itself but I also agree its fun to talk about them. Me, I am rooting, why leave what I have here for survival to bug out with darn near nothing. I have enough to stay warm and dry, food and water, all this kit around here can be used for something, and with enough ammo and firearms to protect my house. Why would I leave all this? I can not carry what I have here to survive. For those bugging out, know the AO and how to travel and survive in it. If it got that bad, I guess I would but just how bad that would be, can not say.