• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What paper work do you carry with your suppressor ?

Birddog67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
TX
Do I just carry a copy of my tax stamp ?
Do I need to carry a copy of my trust ?

Tried the search first no luck

Transplanted from the North :)

What does it depend on ? I am in Texas

When you are transporting it to the range or to the ranch

Check the Texas statute.

In Texas I carry a copy of the stamp plus something that shows I am named as a trustee (not the full trust).

I just took a picture of all my form 4's on my I phone. I have never, ever, been asked to see my paperwork in the past 25 yrs Ive been playin with this shit
If Im out of AZ, I bring copies of the form 4's and ownership docs of my LLC

I personally carry copies of everything: trust, Schedule A, and all tax stamps... I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

the south rules :D
Glad you made the right decision and moved from the crazy states.
get all your friends to do the same...put those bastards out of business....less working people to pay taxes will force their hand

I put a copy of everything in every gun case and both vehicles. Also shrunk them down to get in a cargo pocket and laminated them. This way I am never without my paperwork.

Shrinking them down is a great idea. I think i'm going to do that and put it in my data book. I'm never without it at the range. Thanks for the idea, hdfireman.

x2 on having them shrunk and laminated.

I have them shrunk 50% and heavy laminated. On the stamp, I do 6 shrunk/ heavy laminate and it runs me about $9 at Office Depo.
Also after they laminate, I borrow their single hole paper punch and punch a hole in the upper left hand corner so I can put all of them on a clip open/closed key ring and always have them together. They give me 4 or 5 of the rings for free.
Keep one in the rifle pelican Pelican, one in the pistol Pelican, one in my hunting ruck, one to my dad (on the trust) and two in the safe along with the originals. That way I always have a copy no matter what or where I am and am not swapping it from pelican or ruck and end up forgetting it ..

Edit:
I only take my laminated copy of the stamp since my name is on the backside. Don't carry copies of my trust, schedule A etc with me.

Last edited:
I do not carry paperwork...treat it as a tax document. I have the phone number for ATF on my phone for any one to check. I will however carry paperwork when I go out of State..since 2004 I was only asked on one occasion for paperwork and that was a game commission cop in PA....

Photo copy of form 4 with item in case.
Pdf copies on my phone.

A copy of the approved stamp. I shrunk them down as well.

I carry a copy of my tax stamp only in my rifle case. My son who is in Federal LE tells me he has come upon guy's with cans and all he asked them if they have paperwork on them and if they like it. He doesn't ask to see the paperwork unles they are being a jerk.

Has anyone out there actually been 'stopped' or 'questioned' by a LEO/Game Warden regarding their suppressor?

Game commission cop in PA asked to see license for suppressed rifle....showed him my tax stamp...he had no idea what to look for but once he saw the word suppressor all was right with the world...

My cans were transferred to me, I carry 25% laminated copies with me when they leave the house.

I've got enough stamps, plus my state has some funky MG regs, I've got a 3 ring binder with sheet protectors and copies all my forms 1/4/20, state paperwork, and relevant trust documents indicating who the trustees are. keeps everything together, protected and organized.

Whenever anyone asks me about how long the paperwork took, or how much the stamp was, or any of that stuff I just look at them blankly and say "Paperwork? What stamp are you talking about? I bought this from a buddy of mine." ;)

I have PDF and JPG copies of the Form 4 and stamp on my phone and available by opening my Gmail on any device. I don't carry my trust, but my full name is in the trust name, so I doubt I'd ever be challenged on that.

I just took a picture of all my form 4's on my I phone. I have never, ever, been asked to see my paperwork in the past 25 yrs Ive been playin with this shit
If Im out of AZ, I bring copies of the form 4's and ownership docs of my LLC

I do this as well.

I plan on carrying all my papers in this:

Although I'm looking for a model with larger wheels to make rolling it across the gravel range parking lots easier...

I carry color copies in my truck and copies on my phone but knowing the laws would be nice. I shoot around LE all the time and I've never had them say a thing about it. As far as I know there is no federal law requiring the documents be carried.

I carry color copies in my truck and copies on my phone but knowing the laws would be nice. I shoot around LE all the time and I've never had them say a thing about it. As far as I know there is no federal law requiring the documents be carried.

It's funny, from the ATF website:

Q: Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by ATF officers. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

So it's suggested, but doesn't actually say it's a requirement. Except the line above, which says "MUST be kept available for inspection". So which is it? Is it a must, or a suggestion?

I dont carry anything. Ever. Its not required. Ive refused to show form 4s to local cops. Its not required.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Do I just carry a copy of my tax stamp ?
Do I need to carry a copy of my trust ?

Tried the search first no luck

You dont need to carry either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I keep copied and laminated stamps in the glove compartment and each gun case. ive been asked but still do not show them to anyone. Only person who ever asked with any knowledge of the subject was the game warden and he was just curious himself.

Being a TX LEO I can tell you that about 90% of LE has never seen a form4 and doesn't know whether you need it and your trust/LLC Paperwork, but if you didn't have any paperwork for the suppressor in your possession they more than likely would confiscate it and arrest you for felony possession of a prohibited weapon. Then you would have to provide the paperwork to the judge to have it dismissed. Me personally I carry a copy of form4 and LLC. Not preaching just greatly advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does it depend on ? I am in Texas

if your name is on the Form 4 then that is all you need a copy of. if you are a trustee on a trust then you must carry a copy of the form 4 and a copy of the addendum showing you as a member of said trust.

I have all my forms, shrinked down and laminated.

I was out at the range and there were some ATF guys shooting and saw mine, asked what brand it was never even asked about the paper on it. I have also been stopped by DPS and my rifle was in the front seat with the can on it and he didn't even say anything about it. Texas is pretty good about it. I just wish they would make supressors just like buying a firearm, but the ATF makes way to much money on it so that will never change.

gaphighpower said:
Has anyone out there actually been 'stopped' or 'questioned' by a LEO/Game Warden regarding their suppressor?

Being a TX LEO I can tell you that about 90% of LE has never seen a form4 and doesn't know whether you need it and your trust/LLC Paperwork, but if you didn't have any paperwork for the suppressor in your possession they more than likely would confiscate it and arrest you for felony possession of a prohibited weapon. Then you would have to provide the paperwork to the judge to have it dismissed. Me personally I carry a copy of form4 and LLC. Not preaching just greatly advise.

Apologize for sidetracking the post, thanks McGilbery.