• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What pistol do you use for self-protection out in public?

Pending the results of further testing, I will be adding a Taurus GX4 to the rotation.
20221119_170318.jpg

It depends on where being out in “public” is.

My two go to pistols are a Kimber Ultra Carry Custom in 45 ACP and a S&W hammerles J-frame in 38 Spl.
The others in Rotation are a Full Sized 1911 in 45, a S&W Model 15 2”, and a 629 5” for vehicle and hunting. Having the 629 on my CCW removed a lot of headaches. I am profic and qualify with Al of them, but shoot the 1911s the best.

The J frame usually gets the nod for ease of carry and oomph.

As an aside, I have only had to shoot a couple of Rattle Snakes, and never had to give notice that I was carrying. This is insurance like my fire extinguisher and IFAK.

Beretta Px4 carried Appendix and a Sig Sauer P290RS or Beretta Px4 Subcompact pocket carried as a B.U.G.

I like the dual Px4 carry the best as a spare 17 round mag runs both guns.

VooDoo

G19 Gen4 and spare mag. 2 more mags in my bag that always goes with me in my truck.

Road trip, AR pistol, 4 spare mags.

Doc

Reactions: jrassy and 260284
G19 Gen4 and spare mag. 2 more mags in my bag that always goes with me in my truck.

Road trip, AR pistol, 4 spare mags.

Doc
10.5” AR Pistol with a red dot, flip ups, and several mags is always in my personal truck. The Dominus makes it bearable to shoot.

Sig P230 in a Kramer IWB #2 of horse-hide construction. Both were purchased around the mid 80's. It's been the everyday carry since it's purchase. The 230 has an alloy frame, SA/DA, decocker, steel slide, and stoked with 7+1, an extra mag, in the holster, it weighs in at under one pound twelve ounces.

You only carry in public? I carry at my residence, in my garage, in my back yard everywhere. Home invasions don't happen at Home Depot.

I do Glock model 45 with a spare magazine. I get 35 rounds of either 124gr HST +P, 147 HST, 124gr Gold Dot +P, or 147 Ranger T +P+ to solve my problem.

If I'm feeling like a dirty Slav, I go with my CZ P07 with my Harbor Freight soldering iron stipple job. I get a total of 31 rounds.

Either way, I can put more rounds on more targets faster than a revolver run by anyone other than Jerry Miculek. 🙃

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's most concerning about the replies to this thread:

1 - The number of people who took this troll thread seriously.
2 - The number of people who trust their life to cheap little piece of crap pistol, because obviously saving a few bucks and/or maximum personal comfort are more important than being sure of your ability to protect your family.
3 - The number of people replying to say what they carry even though obviously nobody else cares. Gotta go for that self-validation because nobody else will, I guess?

• Angry
Reactions: MadDuner

2 - The number of people who trust their life to cheap little piece of crap pistol, because obviously saving a few bucks and/or maximum personal comfort are more important than being sure of your ability to protect your family.
3 - The number of people replying to say what they carry even though obviously nobody else cares. Gotta go for that self-validation because nobody else will, I guess?

You do realize you are on the internet......don't you?

No worse than reading the thread then replying with no other reason than to be a dick.

If my peanut/shellfish cologne dosnt get em the Derringer snake charmer let's em know I'm not here for some slap and tickle.

Forgot this was an online forum, you know where people interact with each other and get tips/tricks and insight in the firearms world.

Reactions: nikerret
Forgot this was an online forum, you know where people interact with each other and get tips/tricks and insight in the firearms world.
We have to be secret squirrels - otherwise somebody will find out we have and shoot guns!

Reactions: 30calDeath
I've been carrying a 4" 686 for the last years. Recently got a G23 gen 3, again lol. What's old is new again. I'll probably get a G27 for summer carry next year.

Reactions: AMGtuned
While hunting, backpacking, or watching over a friend's shack in the woods, I like my .36 caliber 1851 Colt Navy made by F.lli Pietta. Slick, stately, and humble, and will get the job done if you do your part. Shoots like a laser too. My favorite activity with it is to do the "Wild Bill Hickok - Dave Tutt Duel Shot" at 75 yards, and then really push the envelope and try to ring steel at 80-120 yards. It does both tasks easily. That and a few extra loaded cylinders in Civil War leather cylinder pouches on my belt, and I pretty much feel safe anywhere.

Reactions: MadDuner
Daily - Kahr K9 w/spare extended mag
Summer / Athletic Shorts - Kahr CM9
Winter / Duty - SA XD40 4” w/TLR-1HL

Been carrying all three for the last 10 years, and I’ve been thinking it’s time for a capacity and optics upgrade. Spent some time shooting a coworkers G19/RMR, and it’s definitely for me.

Planning to replace my full size with a G17MOS/RMR, and my daily carry with either a G48MOS/RMRcc or P365XL/RMRcc. I plan to keep the CM9 for backup and occasional athletic shorts carry.

Reactions: 260284

Been carrying all three for the last 10 years, and I’ve been thinking it’s time for a capacity and optics upgrade. Spent some time shooting a coworkers G19/RMR, and it’s definitely for me.

Planning to replace my full size with a G17MOS/RMR, and my daily carry with either a G48MOS/RMRcc or P365XL/RMRcc. I plan to keep the CM9 for backup and occasional athletic shorts carry.
I carried a XDS 45 or a 1911PD for several years. Went to a 365XL with a RMR and won't go back. Have a Poly 80/17 with a similar setup for a bedside gun. 55 year old eyes work better with a dot.

Reactions: Anb618
Generally, it’s the S&W 442 or the G27.3. Once I get good enough to use a red dot on a handgun, I’ll likely start carrying my SA Hellcat RDP.

859F579C-E9CE-40E3-A65A-2F5D99C4F7F3.png

076F96C2-B550-4E0F-9AFE-58B005EA5A90.jpeg

2584AE0A-8AC1-4C66-8ADE-35C3A7BB686D.jpeg

My carry gun is a 9.
A Kimber Pro-Carry II in stainless.
I've run every conceivable ammo through it and never had a malfunction......

sig p365 in the summer, sig p365 x with icarus precision grip, pmm comp barrel, tlr7a and holosun in the winter/open carry. Then i have a p365xl with a tlr7a and holosun in the house. out hiking i have a sig m17 with a delta point pro in a safariland holster.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

I’m on my way to a BlackFriday CCW upgrade. Purchased $500 in gift cards from my LGS, and they gave me $100 additional as a Black Friday promotion. Can’t use the cards until January, but their price on a P365X Macro is already better than I can find anywhere online, and it felt great in my hands. Barely bigger than my K9, 4oz lighter, and upgrades me to 17+1 from 7+1.
25377B00-EFF6-4359-85A4-F490D406751D.jpeg

FA1972F3-3626-486E-B4BF-F3B629DC5260.jpeg

Then I bought a TLR-7a and a Sidecar holster from TRex Arms, and bought discounted RMRcc slide milling from CHPWS.

Anyone seen a good price on an RMRcc for CyberMonday?

Reactions: 30calDeath
I’m on my way to a BlackFriday CCW upgrade. Purchased $500 in gift cards from my LGS, and they gave me $100 additional as a Black Friday promotion. Can’t use the cards until January, but their price on a P365X Macro is already better than I can find anywhere online, and it felt great in my hands. Barely bigger than my K9, 4oz lighter, and upgrades me to 17+1 from 7+1.
View attachment 8009483
View attachment 8009485
Then I bought a TLR-7a and a Sidecar holster from TRex Arms, and bought discounted RMRcc slide milling from CHPWS.

Have you looked through the rmrcc? It's like looking through the bottom of a coca cola bottle. Horrible fish eye.

View attachment 8009483
View attachment 8009485

Get the Holosun EPS Carry, im getting one hopefully in the next week or two. They are really hard to find. But the 365macro is amazing, I absolutely LOVE mine.

Reactions: Anb618
View attachment 8009483
View attachment 8009485

The K9 won't go off in your holster.