• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What pocket pistol to get?

If you grew up like me seeing bad things happen to good people, and take that stuff seriously, then yeah, the carry gun is always there right at 1:00 IWB. No reason to take it off until bedtime if you get used to carrying and have a comfortable method.

For me pocket guns are about carrying in circumstances where I can’t carry my normal pistol. It’s never been about being too lazy to carry when I should. I really dislike that line of reasoning, partly because it usually goes hand in hand with people who refuse to get any training and treat the gun more as a talisman than a fighting tool.

Maybe that’s an over reaction, I don’t know you, but that’s been my experience.
I think you’re the exception, not the rule. Of the people I talk to about conceal carry, half of them actually carry less than half the time. The other half varies from half the time to most of the time. The average there is about 30-40% of the time. But I wish more people were like you.

And becoming proficient with a pocket pistol takes more training, not less.

Reactions: Modoc
I've been pondering this lately as well and I've been looking into the Sig P938, kind of surprised it hasn't got more mentions.

I carry its little brother (238) when it's pocket carry or nothing. It's a truly amazing little gun for what it is.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the non-ambi safety for pocket carry.

Really? Is there some magic number?
If it hasn't choked in 500 rounds, what makes you think it will choke in 600? 800?
Any mechanical device is prone to failure.
What's to say that the malfunction wasn't caused by excessive wear?
Fwiw, I've been known to carry a colt 1903 that was manufactured in 1920, the slide stop is very worn and prone to slipping, but it runs like a top.
I've also carried a Taurus 24/7 pro that never skipped a beat. The non "pro" models had a bad reputation though.

Magic number? Of course not. But would you claim your new car is reliable because it made it the first 1,000 miles without issues?

500 rounds is still well inside the infant mortality range for issues with a modern pistol. Meaning if it had failures by that point, it'd be a result of either really blatant design flaws, or defects so bad they failed almost immediately. When the potential life span of most decent modern semi auto 9mm pistols can be measured in tens of thousands of rounds, if not hundreds of thousands, 500 rounds is nothing and doesn't offer any prediction about how well it'll perform over time.

You may think I'm exaggerating about that, but I'm not. Even my little G43 has somewhere north of 10K rounds through it now and functions like it's still new, while several others I either practice with a lot or use for Glock matches have a LOT more than that through them.

Reactions: Gustav7
I think you’re the exception, not the rule. Of the people I talk to about conceal carry, half of them actually carry less than half the time. The other half varies from half the time to most of the time. The average there is about 30-40% of the time. But I wish more people were like you.

And becoming proficient with a pocket pistol takes more training, not less.

Compared to the average "gun guy", sure. But that's kind of my point - planning to be average is a poor choice; it's setting yourself up for failure. If you're accepting from the start that you're not going to bother carrying in all those different scenarios you mentioned, you've already given up. It's a lot like planning for the "average gunfight", meaning you aren't even trying to be successful more than half the time.

It's just a mentality of mediocrity and laziness, a lot like being a cheapskate or a constant complainer - it's a choice in how you approach your life. Anyone here can carry all day, every day, if they decide to. Deciding that you'll have taken your carry pistol off for all those common situations is a failure from the start, and personally I refuse to live that way or even use that reasoning to promote pocket carry. And in the training groups I choose to associate with, pretty much everyone feels the same way.

Reactions: Gustav7
Magic number? Of course not. But would you claim your new car is reliable because it made it the first 1,000 miles without issues?

500 rounds is still well inside the infant mortality range for issues with a modern pistol. Meaning if it had failures by that point, it'd be a result of either really blatant design flaws, or defects so bad they failed almost immediately. When the potential life span of most decent modern semi auto 9mm pistols can be measured in tens of thousands of rounds, if not hundreds of thousands, 500 rounds is nothing and doesn't offer any prediction about how well it'll perform over time.

You may think I'm exaggerating about that, but I'm not. Even my little G43 has somewhere north of 10K rounds through it now and functions like it's still new, while several others I either practice with a lot or use for Glock matches have a LOT more than that through them.
So, your G43 didn't have any failures in the first 500 rounds?

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I carry its little brother (238) when it's pocket carry or nothing. It's a truly amazing little gun for what it is.

If I had it to do over, I'd get the non-ambi safety for pocket carry.
But you can carry it in your left pocket with the ambi.

Does it inadvertently disengage?

The .380 is decent for a pocket round and the LCP is ideal size. I carry one in my boot every Sunday.
I agree. Earlier I said the 380 was on the light side and while it is for sure, with the right choice of ammo, there are some very potent 380’s available. Modern advancements in powder efficiency and bullet lethality have made the 380 a viable choice.

When training for pocket carry, practice as much at ”arm’s length“ distances as you do at the more common 5-10 yd distances. This isn’t always possible at your local indoor range because they usually don’t allow holstering a loaded weapon or drawing from concealment. Find an outdoor range and practice drawing and shooting inside 2 yards. It’s a different ballgame up close and personal. Bad guy is hyper aware of your facial expression, hand movements etc. If bad guy is armed, You can’t just peel back your jacket and draw from concealment like everyone is taught. You have to have a strategy or two that you’ve practiced to give you the advantage.

Last edited:
I don't know of any 9mm or 38 that I personally consider a pocket pistol. Even Kahr is a bit heavy and bulky. I would say the Ruger LCP is a pocket pistol. Compared to the LCP, the LC9, which I consider a "compact" pistol, is gigantic and heavy.

LCP if you want an actual pocket pistol. Less than 13 oz with 7 rounds of .380. Shoot someone in the face with .380 and you will get a reaction.

If you are able to carry the larger LC9, I recommend the LC9s. It's striker fired. Trigger blade safety (like Glock), no thumb safety, adjustable sight, and will fire without a mag inserted or if mag is accidentally released out of battery. You can also use it as a range gun. It has a very nice trigger, a bit light for a defense weapon, but usable.

20221229_083830~2.jpg

20221229_083541.jpg

20221229_083550~2.jpg

20221229_083610.jpg

20221229_083622.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Earlier I said the 380 was on the light side and while it is for sure, with the right choice of ammo, there are some very potent 380’s available. Modern advancements in powder efficiency and bullet lethality have made the 380 a viable choice.
Yeah, much like how the advancements in bullet tech has made the 9mm a viable general purpose carry round for regular carry, the same bullet tech has made the .380 an effective pocket or back up carry option. I actually have 2 LCP's and they both operate great and are actually very accurate out to 15 or 20 yards, which is Well within any possible scenario for using such a weapon. It's a really good option and a small package, but one that is a little easier to hold on to and shoot well vs say a khar pm9/pm40 for example. (Which I had for many years and finally sold. (I had the pm40 and it wad just too snappy to shoot accurately because I was so worried about hanging on to it).

The LCP or the actual Kel Tec which Rugar copied to make the LCP is the best option I've found for a "Sunday gun" as we call them down here. (Meaning one that you can take to Church in dress clothes and conceal it).

Compared to the average "gun guy", sure. But that's kind of my point - planning to be average is a poor choice; it's setting yourself up for failure. If you're accepting from the start that you're not going to bother carrying in all those different scenarios you mentioned, you've already given up. It's a lot like planning for the "average gunfight", meaning you aren't even trying to be successful more than half the time.

It's just a mentality of mediocrity and laziness, a lot like being a cheapskate or a constant complainer - it's a choice in how you approach your life. Anyone here can carry all day, every day, if they decide to. Deciding that you'll have taken your carry pistol off for all those common situations is a failure from the start, and personally I refuse to live that way or even use that reasoning to promote pocket carry. And in the training groups I choose to associate with, pretty much everyone feels the same way.

As much as you in your post denigrate pocket carry and throw shade on folks that choose it, when it comes down to needing it, the pistol you have on you even if it's not the greatest pistol or the most perfect cool carry system is still better than the one that didn't happen to be on hand right at the moment you needed it, whether that be while out and about, or at home minding your own business.

Folks are usually wearing something over their buttocks and genitals and as such, folks who are used to pocket carry probably have a greater chance of always having their pistol on them than anyone else since, if they aren't going around naked or in their underwear, they have their pistol on them.

Sure fine it's not all super cool, slick, operator / gamer, but again lots of folks for VERY valid reasons simply cannot carry in another fashion easily or comfortably.

In reality most people who's profession is not being paid to go look for trouble will probably never actually have use their pistol against another person, or perhaps even against an animal, but because you never know if you are going to be chosen by fate to be part of that small number who do, carry is better than not carry. Imperfect carry all the time is better than perfect carry most or some of the time.

As much as you in your post denigrate pocket carry and throw shade on folks that choose it, when it comes down to needing it, the pistol you have on you even if it's not the greatest pistol or the most perfect cool carry system is still better than the one that didn't happen to be on hand right at the moment you needed it, whether that be while out and about, or at home minding your own business.

Folks are usually wearing something over their buttocks and genitals and as such, folks who are used to pocket carry probably have a greater chance of always having their pistol on them than anyone else since, if they aren't going around naked or in their underwear, they have their pistol on them.

Sure fine it's not all super cool, slick, operator / gamer, but again lots of folks for VERY valid reasons simply cannot carry in another fashion easily or comfortably.

In reality most people who's profession is not being paid to go look for trouble will probably never actually have use their pistol against another person, or perhaps even against an animal, but because you never know if you are going to be chosen by fate to be part of that small number who do, carry is better than not carry. Imperfect carry all the time is better than perfect carry most or some of the time.

A gun that "you will carry all the time" is better than a gun that you "only carry sometimes" , is just reality for some. I carry EVERY DAY ALL DAY ALL THE TIME, PERIOD.

That just isn't as easy for everyone to do though. I'd much much prefer someone carry a LCP ALL THE TIME , vs a
.45 "sometimes ".

Reactions: Mike Islander
But you can carry it in your left pocket with the ambi.

Does it inadvertently disengage?

The safety has been accidentally disengaged twice in the time that I've owned it.

The first time was a long time ago (I'd say closer to a decade than a half decade), single incident. I was just chalking it up to a fluke until about a month ago when it happened again. It's in a good pocket holster with nothing else in the pocket, but still...

Just for the record, another fluff with this solution was an accidental magazine release. Trimming the holster leather around the release button fixed that.

I know I'm not selling this very well. But I still really like it and hope that my experiences can help someone else.

pineoak, I've never carried it on my left side. I like the ambi safety, so maybe a holster that protects the safety would be a better step forward than eliminating the ambi. It's in a Rosen "El Raton."

I don't know of any 9mm or 38 that I personally consider a pocket pistol. Even Kahr is a bit heavy and bulky. I would say the Ruger LCP is a pocket pistol. Compared to the LCP, the LC9, which I consider a "compact" pistol, is gigantic and heavy.

LCP if you want an actual pocket pistol. Less than 13 oz with 7 rounds of .380. Shoot someone in the face with .380 and you will get a reaction.

If you are able to carry the larger LC9, I recommend the LC9s. It's striker fired. Trigger blade safety (like Glock), no thumb safety, adjustable sight, and will fire without a mag inserted or if mag is accidentally released out of battery. You can also use it as a range gun. It has a very nice trigger, a bit light for a defense weapon, but usable.

View attachment 8032890
View attachment 8032884
View attachment 8032885
View attachment 8032886
View attachment 8032887
Maybe you’re intentionally excluding revolvers in your statement, but I’ve been pocket carrying the LCR for over 10 years. First in 38, then replaced with the 9mm version 5 years ago. Best handgun I’ve found for accuracy, dependability, easy of drawing, trigger control, accuracy, firepower.

Maybe you’re intentionally excluding revolvers in your statement, but I’ve been pocket carrying the LCR for over 10 years. First in 38, then replaced with the 9mm version 5 years ago. Best handgun I’ve found for accuracy, dependability, easy of drawing, trigger control, accuracy, firepower.

The LCR is a great pocket carry pistol.
I carried one in .357 for years until events showed that there was a good chance you might need lots of capacity and quick reloads when the paid goons are let loose on the streets or people think there is no consequences for attacking innocent folks with a mob.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Diamondback DB9. 6+1 of 9mm and has feed everything I have given it—HP, 115, 147, etc. Several hundred rounds with no problem.

It lets you know when you shoot it, but I can go through 4-5 mags before my finger starts to notice banging on the trigger guard.

Anyways, next to my P365 for size comparison—its pretty trim. It drops into a baggy pocket fine, but its still a bit much for the front pocket of a pair of jeans in a sleeve holster.

ZY

8E29DBB3-6015-4FE2-B6CA-73143405EE7A.jpeg
AD640A61-0370-4835-A466-C9B94449F467.jpeg

There's always that guy who has to completely miss someone's point, so he can continue arguing for what he wants. :rolleyes:

If you think I ever recommended carrying "sometimes", with anything, you have reading comprehension issues. I didn't say I was against pocket carry. I said I was against the mindset of accepting that you'll just take your carry gun off sometimes because it's convenient.

What I actually recommended was not striving for mediocrity and laziness. If that offends you, ask yourself why.

The LCR is a great pocket carry pistol.
I carried one in .357 for years until events showed that there was a good chance you might need lots of capacity and quick reloads when the paid goons are let loose on the streets or people think there is no consequences for attacking innocent folks with a mob.
What the hell size pants are you guys wearing where you can pocket carry a P365?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they’re wearing MC Hammer pants.
1672410066830.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
What the hell size pants are you guys wearing where you can pocket carry a P365?

I wear Duluth Cargo pants and Cargo shorts.
I can easily slip a P365XL in the front pocket and you can't see it.
I can actually drop a Ruger 57 pistol in my front pocket and all you could see was a tiny bit of black at the very top.

That being said, I do have the typical cargo pocket pants loadout where every pocket is damn near filled to overflowing.

I'm also in the "carry every day all day" group. Pocket carry for me, has been reserved for occasionally around the house or if my sciatica is all fucky AND I'm wearing only one specific pair of the many different pairs of pants/shorts I own that has deep pockets. Maybe some of you guys are always wearing deep pocket pants, but I don't.

I've personally found it easier to just carry my appendix rig. It fits all pants, all situations, and conceals easier.

If you want to pocket carry, thats cool, I think the more trained and armed people we have, the better. But if you're going to go with pocket carry because it allows you to carry in more situations, all the power to you. Just as long as you realize that is the only benefit. I'm not even necessarily arguing against it in any way, but lets not assume that ease of carrying is its only benefit.

Carrying mid to full size guns in properly made appendix or strong side holsters allow: larger guns, more ammo, use of WML's, conceal better, have less chance of falling out, are faster to engage, faster to reholster, allow red dot usage without issue, and on and on.

I'm all for more people carrying and if pocket carry is how you get that done, then I'm all for it, but lets also realize that pocket carry is a minimum, not an optimum.

Quit wearing those hipster skinny jeans!
I'd hazard a guess that any normal looking pair of jeans or slacks with waist sizes starting in 3 don't fit guns like a P365.

I like the idea of pocket carry for office/professional settings, but I've never come across a pair of pants that would allow me to carry anything even as large as a Glock 43.

I don't pocket carry but the wife has a LCR in .22mag that would work. I'd step up to a .38/.357 version though.

I have owned a 340pd and the recoil was brutal, shoot one first before buying.

I don't pocket carry but the wife has a LCR in .22mag that would work. I'd step up to a .38/.357 version though.

I have owned a 340pd and the recoil was brutal, shoot one first before buying.

I had several LCRs

The .22 versions had heavy, gritty triggers.
The .38 special was better

The .357 Magnum ones had the best trigger feel and overall feel of the bunch and if you don't want to carry full house rounds, just carry some hot .38 special rounds.

Yeah, the trigger could use some help. I'd rather have a 351pd for her but their prices are insane.

My pocket Gun is a S&W 442-2 Airweight. Sometimes it rides in a pocket, but today is in a Galco Miami Classic, which alternates with an IWB @ 4 o’clock and an AIWB, depending on which part of my body hurts the most.

Then 6.5 manbun shooters and their skinny jeans take serious offense to your statement

• Haha
Recognize that resurrecting an old chain but thought I would share that I brought a bond arms bullpup9, a p938 and a p238 to the range today to check all three out. For me I thought the p238 was pretty amazing. The p938 too but noticeably more snappy. The bond arms thing is cool but for me I would want to be inside the barn to hit the side of it.

Recognize that resurrecting an old chain but thought I would share that I brought a bond arms bullpup9, a p938 and a p238 to the range today to check all three out. For me I thought the p238 was pretty amazing. The p938 too but noticeably more snappy. The bond arms thing is cool but for me I would want to be inside the barn to hit the side of it.
In my experience the derringer style pistol hasn’t been very accurate outside of 10 feet. I have a Cobra in 38 Spl that has snake shot in it and for that it’s perfect.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
In my experience the derringer style pistol hasn’t been very accurate outside of 10 feet. I have a Cobra in 38 Spl that has snake shot in it and for that it’s perfect.
The bullpup9 is the one onon-derringer they make. It’s the new and vastly improved boberg as I understand it. I couldn’t shoot it any better than a derringer tho but maybe that is just me

That’s why you have 4 shots!!!!! One of dem shits gots to hit
11025324-BBA8-4943-9263-A2A5B03864CE.jpeg

My idea of a pocket pistol would include the ability to reliably discharge ,while concealed in the pocket. Revolver with internal hammer.

Sig 938 with extended mag and Hogue Grips

I have a holster that goes in my back pocket and looks like a wallet. Carry anytime I leave the house.

I didnt like the Sig at all the first round.. Bought a couple and nothing about it was good... Gave one away to my son inlaw and sold the other to a friend... Read some reviews and added the extended magazine and grips and it was a totally different gun.. Now its my go to for carry.

My idea of a pocket pistol would include the ability to reliably discharge ,while concealed in the pocket. Revolver with internal hammer.
That Remington Elliot I posted has that ability

I've got a Smith 642 in 38 special. I love the thing. Trigger is heavier than hell, but I want it that way anyway. I think it weighs around 14 oz maybe? It's pretty neglected, but still goes bang every time.

I carry the sig 365sas in the pocket. When I think range is an issue, I will carry an sig 365 in the pocket and if appendix carry, sig 365xl with an optic.
All fit easily, as 365’s are small, but the pocket gun is quicker on target and printing isn’t an issue. Sometimes on thin pants or shorts I will place a thin piece on plastic or paper card in the pocket to mask any possible print lines. The pocket holster/trigger guard I use is j shaped to catch the pocket on the draw and separate. I works well.

Last edited:
I like S&W revolvers for pocket carry as well. You can fire a revolver from a pocket if needed.

The P7 mentioned above is WAY too heavy for pocket carry.

S&W 351-PD 7 shots .22 wmr Punch, 11 oz unloaded, 18 oz loaded, great with crimson trace lazer grips.
S&W 642, 637, or SIG P-365. S&W 317 2” 8 shot .22lr airweight, if you can find one. Crimson Trace makes excellent Red or Green dot lazer grips for S&W J frames. Not a salesman; just a shooter.