• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What rifle scope for Light 308 Rifle

Beseekersap

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2020
Hey all,

First Post please be gentle, I recently got into hand loading/chasing accuracy. While doing this I've found my Vortex CrossFire II 6-18X44 consistently loses it's zero.
I can go from hitting very tight groups at 100 to being off by a decent margin. After adding a compensator (severe Duty) My issue was made a bit better but it was still preset. I realize this is probably just due to the fact I am shooting a Very light rifle (the fix by Q) and using a very budget scope. I've marked the scope and the rings to make sure that the scope wasn't shifting in the mount and it stayed solid.

I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for a scope I can grow into/ won't have to replace anytime soon for 500-1000 Yards.

I also planned to add a Proof research 6.5 Barrel to it as well so hoped to find something that will work well with both of these.

• What is the platform for the scope?
  • -Bolt Action Lightweight 308 Chassis rifle
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
  • -308/6.5
  • What is your intended use for the scope?
  • - Target/ Longrange
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
  • - DayLight/ Lowlight only
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
  • - 100, 200, 300, 500, 1000
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
  • - Open to whatever will work best as I am a noob.
  • What is the price range you can afford?
  • 1000-1500$

Since you have a light rifle and assume you are talking about getting a carbon proof barrel or regular SS? Guessing you are sensitive to weight.
Your price range is almost new Vortex Razor Gen II but they are very heavy.
Leopold scopes are usually light. I know the silhouette guys used to use them because they were easier to make weight. You are probably in the VX-3 class pricewis.

Since you have a light rifle and assume you are talking about getting a carbon proof barrel or regular SS? Guessing you are sensitive to weight.
Your price range is almost new Vortex Razor Gen II but they are very heavy.
Leopold scopes are usually light. I know the silhouette guys used to use them because they were easier to make weight. You are probably in the VX-3 class pricewis.
Definitely not sensitive to weight, just sort of ended up like this is all. Main reason for adding the CF 6.5 barrel is the recoil on this thing even with the large rear pad leaves a good bit of damage after 100 rounds or so of 308. I'll check out the razer gen II sounds like a good excuse to add some weight and lose some recoil.
thank you sir

Do you want SFP or FFP?

capped turrets or open?

Do you like higher magnification?

do you know what kind of reticle you like?

in that price range there are a lot of good scopes.

Bushnell LRTS
Bushnell DMR
Some of the Burris XTR
Vortex PST
Maybe even Vortex Razor if a good bargain happened
Athalon
Leupold
NF SHV (or NxS sfp)

dont worry too much about weight if you arent hunting would also be my advice.

Lots of options.

try to meet other shooters and check their stuff out.
where are you located?

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Definitely not sensitive to weight, just sort of ended up like this is all. Main reason for adding the CF 6.5 barrel is the recoil on this thing even with the large rear pad leaves a good bit of damage after 100 rounds or so of 308. I'll check out the razer gen II sounds like a good excuse to add some weight and lose some recoil.
thank you sir

I was going to ask why such a light weight rifle if it's only used at the range and not hunted with.
If you are having issues with recoil then adding weight is definitely the first place to start, the Razor Gen 2 has this in spades!

The added weight will tame recoil but will also make the rifle easier to shoot too, the advantage to a super heavy scope like the Razor is it will add weight in the middle of the rifle so shouldn't upset the balance too much, vs adding weight in the stock or a long heavy barrel.

Do you want SFP or FFP?

capped turrets or open?

Do you like higher magnification?

do you know what kind of reticle you like?

in that price range there are a lot of good scopes.

Bushnell LRTS
Bushnell DMR
Some of the Burris XTR
Vortex PST
Maybe even Vortex Razor if a good bargain happened
Athalon
Leupold
NF SHV (or NxS sfp)

dont worry too much about weight if you arent hunting would also be my advice.

Lots of options.

try to meet other shooters and check their stuff out.
where are you located?

Being that I am so New, i don't have any real preference. I kept seeing the vortex razor pop up so I went ahead and found one of the EBR-7C models and picked one up. Vortex 42708

Im located in PA, I shoot at ANJRPC in NJ a bit as well.

I was going to ask why such a light weight rifle if it's only used at the range and not hunted with.
If you are having issues with recoil then adding weight is definitely the first place to start, the Razor Gen 2 has this in spades!

The added weight will tame recoil but will also make the rifle easier to shoot too, the advantage to a super heavy scope like the Razor is it will add weight in the middle of the rifle so shouldn't upset the balance too much, vs adding weight in the stock or a long heavy barrel.

Sounds like a Plan, I ended up picking up a 42708 last night based on yalls advice.

It's the typical noob mistake of not knowing what they don't know

Truth, If I knew the recoil would be bad enough to make me want to stop shooting after 20 rounds I would of got something else. Now I am just trying to work with what I've got.

Can anyone recommend a good scope mount for the 42708?, Being that it is a completely flat rail It seems the minimum height for the rings would be 1.5" but I cant be certain/ can't find any good write ups