• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What robot smart phone?

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
So I'm looking to upgrade my phone. I have an archaic pda I'm certain i could not live without. I'd like a phone and windows mobile unit in one. Do iphones, droids and the like do that?

I use my pda with ballistic software in the field too, and it would be nice to have a shot timer on the phone as well...

So i guess I partially answered my own question, i need a smart phone on a windows Mobile OS. But do iphones or droids run windows stuff too or?

Re: What robot smart phone?

iPhones run a stripped down version of OS-X, droids run Google's Android OS. So no, neither runs Windows Mobile OS.

Having owned a half dozen Windows Mobile phones prior to the iPhone and Android coming out, I'd rather have either before I bought another Windows Mobile phone. I chose the iPhone and have no regrets.

iPhone/iTouch can run Knight's Ballistic programs. What's not to like? I AM liking Panty 6's iTouch...heh, yes I do!
grin.gif

I run a droid eris. There is a balistics program wich is a free app, wich works great, along with a trillion other apps. The droid (with the data plan) is a hell of a tool. Streaming Music, ballistic calculator, internet, hell, there are hacks out there that I can hook you up with, that your droid can get your laptop online.

Its a sweet phone, but dont run windows mobile. There are apps that can do everything your looking for though.

Thanks everyone!! Sounds nice. I had heard you can buy your cell phone commo service as well as phone internet from the local cell company and pay no extra to tether the phone to your laptop for net access. Is this known and "permittable: or is it under the table and perhaps soon to be blocked by the cell compnaies?

The droid was designed with open architecture so people can make apps, similiar to the iPhone. Since they made it that way, its open to whatever. Pm me if you go the droid routed I can hook you up with what you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The droid was designed with open architecture so people can make apps, similiar to the iPhone. Since they made it that way, its open to whatever. Pm me if you go the droid routed I can hook you up with what you need. </div></div>

Sir...you have a PM

its not as a modem, its a direct tunnel to the droids internet service. If you use your phone as a modem its typicall pretty slow. But with the droid, its like DSL. I am on it right now, that is my homes internet service...lol. If only I could plug it into a wireless router, I would be thrilled.

Hasn't been mentioned, but just in case you consider a BlackBerry Storm... don't. The best I can say for it is that it's a decent MP3 player.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you go Mac, you never go back : )

Mason @ CST</div></div>

Thats o.k. bro, no ones perfect.