• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition What scope do you use for 600-1000 yard F T/R?

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
I've been reading on here for a while and am getting mixed signals, and even though this is one of the slower forums, I thought I would ask what you guys use for F T/R matches. I've got my gunsmith who shoots this match that swears by the USO ST-22, almost to the point that starts to get a little heated and irritated if you question him about it. But, I've been reading everywhere else that the NF scopes are the best. I can't quite afford a S&b, so I'll have to scratch that one off the list. $2500 is going to be my limit. What do you guys run with and what would you suggest if what you have isn't a good choice? TIA

Re: What scope do you use for 600-1000 yard F T/R?

I plan on running my NF NXS 12-42x56 on my 50BMG. I haven't gotten there yet, but when I do stretch it to 1k (hopefully this weekend!) I'll keep you informed. The downside I foresee is the limited internal adjustment. Same reason I want the 5.5-22x which has 100moa of internal travel.

I also run an older NF Benchrest 8-32x56 on my Rem700 (not really a 1k gun) and that is excellent glass. Really you should check out the NF Benchrest line as they are considerably cheaper than the NXS, have 1/8moa adjustments, and to my eyes look just as good as my NXS.

However if you want the ultimate F class scope....
http://marchscopes.com.au/tactical-8-80-x-56.html

Also, the next time I'm in AU, I'd like to meet up and shake your hand. I would've loved to have a shooting club when I was there.

I use a 5.5-22x50 NXS with Zero-Stop and NPR1 reticle.
DroidPics033.jpg

I prefer the counter sniper optics with the dual milling reticle.....that way, it doubles my chances of hitting the target.
smile.gif

Darrell,

Thanks for posting. I still have your PM's on this subject and reference them often for sanity sake. I trust in you as an authoritative figure on this subject, so please don't think that I am second guessing you. I'm just doing my due diligence to ensure that I've selected the proper optic in regards to my needs. So, thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind, could you explain why scopes of such high magnification is used? How often do you truly crank the power up that much? Shooting in the Alabama heat/humidity, how often would I ever get above the 20-25X range of magnification?

I always look to the guys on the ground when looking for answers, which is why I'm asking you. Right now, I just don't have much access to those with actual experience in F T/R. Most of the opinions I'm getting are from those who are just lobbing a round down range and hoping to hit a big metal gong, regardless of accurate placement at any pre-determined point on the face of the gong.

Thanks again for your help.

Ugh, you and your indecisiveness lol just get the 8-32x56mm NXS and be satisfied. That way, when you're fighting zombies and your rifle goes down, your Nightforce can always be used as a dependable solid blunt object. In all seriousness though, you're coming with me to the firing pin tomorrow or sometime this week so I can show you a nightforce and get your mind made up already
smile.gif

Just for that, I'm just gonna stick with my Tasco World Class Plus 3-9X44 (Taiwan glass), mount it on a Red Ryder and kick the crap out of you all over Tuskegee.

I have two rifles that I have set up for mid-range F T/R. One sports an NF 5.5-22x50 NXS with Zero-Stop/NPR1 and the other a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T. I prefer the Nightforce but am still competitive with the Leupold. I don't find myself needing more magnification. In fact many times I end up shooting 500 and 600 yards with 12-14 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you don't mind, could you explain why scopes of such high magnification is used?</div></div>

Makes it easier to do finer hold-offs when you can put the dot/x-hair on one side of the 'X' (not the X-ring, the printed 'X' on the target face) or the other. On the days when the mirage stays home... its *very* nice to be able to hold as precisely as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How often do you truly crank the power up that much? Shooting in the Alabama heat/humidity, how often would I ever get above the 20-25X range of magnification?
</div></div>

Generally... I leave mine cranked more often than I ever take it down. Usually I regard mirage as 'wind I can see', and I want to see it as best I can. I turn the magnification down more for dark/overcast days (to brighten up the image a tad so I can see that very fine dot or x-hair against the black target face) than I do for mirage.

That said... it's not uncommon for the mirage to get to boiling to where you just flat can't see inside the 10 ring anyways - between the lines and letters being close enough together, lots of pasters if they aren't re-centering the targets frequently, etc. things just get too 'dirty' and the center just becomes one muddy looking hole. At that point, the higher magnification isn't helping a whole lot, and you might see some benefit from turning the power down a tad. It's not a common condition where I shoot (eastern Washington) so I can't really say for sure.

Monte

Aub,

What Monte said!

I agree about the 42x magnification. For the early morning stages, especially at 300 yards with the 1.4" X-ring, it is VERY useful to be able to have extremely precise aiming points. As the day heats up, and the mirage comes out, I typically am cranking back on the magnification. It is rare indeed that I get below 30x though.

Darrell

Monte has given you excellent advice.

I use a Night Force NSX 5.5 x 22x Npr1 reticle on one rifle and a straight 20x Super sniper scope on the rifle that required a light weight scope due to weight restrictions.

I never have taken the N.F. off 22 power and I like the NPR-1 reticle. The inexpensive Super Sniper has still allowed me to win some 1000 yd matches, but the reticle is a bit thick.

Having said all that I am looking to get a variable that will go to about 35 power. My budget for a retiree says I probably have to go with something in the Sightron III line.

With your budget you should be able to pick out a very nice scope. Maybe add a few bucks to it and look at the March line of scopes too. Reports I have read and heard so far have been excellent. And they are a lot lighter in weight than N.F. if that becomes a concern.

B.L.

I'm using Sightron SIII 8-32 with Target Dot, they also offer LR Target Dot with 1/8 MOA and finer cross/dot. I looked through NF prior to purchasing what I did. For F-T/R I could see no reason to spend the extra $ for NF. If I was banging around in the woods or using at Tactical matches I can see where the heavy build of the NF adds value. On F-T/R I can use the extra ounces saved somewhere else.

I normally run a fixed 32x Mark 4 and occasionally will run a 12-42x NXS. I just mounted a new 12-42x NXS with 1/8 MOA adjustments and hope it pans out. Took it to the range Saturday and was less than impressed, but the conditions weren't great (foggy) so I hope it was a "false negative" on the glass quality.

I love the 32x, but do occasionally like to turn it down. While rare, when those times arise the variables are nice.

I agree with what Monte and Darrell said. I keep mine (12-42 NXS)on 42x most of the time and almost never dial it down. I thought that my Leupold Mk4 24x had clear glass until I used the Nightforce. I can see the mirage MUCH easier with the NF.

AUB, you need to get behind different scopes at 1000 to see for your self. Those of us that use the high mag scopes can tell it all day long, but there are those who will swear that they can do just as well with their 25x, but if you look at the line and who's doing the shooting they are using 32X or more.

Try this, go out to your local 200 yard range and put up a 1" dot, shoot at it with 2 scopes, what ever you can find, one low powered and the other high powered and see how it feels to you from behind the glass. Or try it with a variable and shoot groups at 1/2 max and at max. More X is good if you can see through it. That 1" dot is the size of the X-ring on an F-class target at 1000 yds.

If you could get up to Oak Ridge I'd let you shoot my two 308s, one wears a 5-20 SS and the other has an 8-32BR.

You need to see it for your self. If 22x is fine why not 10x?

Aub,

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I will qualify some of what I said a bit.

As mentioned, when the conditions are right, including target visibility, high magnification is a wonderful thing. When the target visibility goes to pot, that same high magnification goes to waste, so to speak. It drives some people absolutely nutty seeing their target fluttering in the mirage - I know I've spent plenty of time grinding my teeth watching the target center dance around the center of my crosshairs instead of the other way around! At that point, the question of 'where the hell do I aim?' comes to the fore front. For the F/Open types, with a solid front rest and a fore-end stop (not quite a return-to-battery setup, but damn near) it may not be as frustrating - I don't know.

Something else to consider - some of the very best shooters like Jeff & Darrell *do* have incredibly small shot call areas - the region around where the shot broke that, all things like wind call, etc. lining up, the spotter should reasonably appear. Some days I can do that - other days, not so much. I think some (a lot of?) people tend to fall into a mental trap of thinking their gun is a laser - the crosshair was right *there*, so the bullet should be right there on that pin-point spot as well. Reality... is that ain't the way it works most days. Backing off a little and realizing that the shot spotter being a couple inches left of where you held is most likely exactly where it should be given the +/- error in wind reading, judging the mirage, shooter hold, muzzle velocity, average (not best) group size, etc. Using high magnification scopes, some folks (at least *I*) tend to hold off perhaps more than they should, chasing that spotter all over the target center, actually making their group (and score) worse than it might have been if they just held center - which is about all you could do with a lower power scope to begin with. When thats actually the case and when you really do need to hold off to compensate for a vertical draft due to range topography or lighting or something else... well thats what makes this stuff interesting
wink.gif

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mil, and I do use mine hunting as well, seems sturdy so far.</div></div>

+1 on the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mil. No issues here.

I have a 12-42x56 NXS and a March 10-60x52 Tactical. I really like my NF, but I'll take the March over it any day. I stay dialed up to 42 on the NF and 40-45x with the March most of the time.

I like mirage. It is my friend. I can see condition changes immediately. It is rare that I dial back and when I do, it is only back to about 30-35x. The higher magnification provides an opportunity for more precise shot placement.

I'll chime in on behalf of my Leupold ... I've been very happy with my Leupold MkIV M1 6.5-20x50 TMR. And for $2500 you can pick up their MkIV spotter as well
laugh.gif

But, seriously, if you have $2500 go with the best glass you can for the $$$. The circle I run with is pretty happy with USO. Hopefully I can 'upgrade' to something above my MkIV one day ...

Good luck with your search.

Bear

I shoot a 36X sightron for all ranges. I don't have any problem with the 1/8 moa dot reticle.

I am new to F class shooting. Have been using a Leupold MK IV 8.5x25 and a USO 3.2x17. The FFP's dont work well as the reticle substensions are much to big at the higher powers. I just purchased a pair of 10 X 42 X 56 Nightforce's to try.

FTRpair.jpg

I'm new to F T/R myself. I just locked down a 12-42X56 NF BR. I wanted an NXS but this one was offered to me for $975 w/ rings and rail. Cant wait to go and shoot but just found out yesterday that my rifle won't be completed and ready for me to pick up until the first week of January. It was supposed to be finished by the end of next week. Oh well, the guy builds great rifles so I can stand to wait another month. Don't have much time to shoot over the next month anyway so it's no big deal.

I have been using a nxs 8-32, and my score has improved. I was using a ss 16x before the Nightforce. The bench rest scope should also be good. Sightron is also becoming more common at matches.

What you building?

I started out with a NF 5.5-22 50mm NXS, then I went up to the 8-32 56mm NXS. Now I run a 12-42 56mm BR. If I could,
I'd use the Hubble.

B

I'm building a .270 REM700 rechambered in .308, Kreiger 30" 5R in 1:10 twist with Palma contour, McMillan A4 stock 70% light tan-30% medium tan.

I have been very happy with my Sightron SIII 8-32. Tracks well and for the money the glass is nice. I use the fine cross hair reticle.

I currently use a 3.5-15x50 MLR Mil/Mil ZS on my F-Class rifle. If I build a dedicated F/TR rifle, I will use the 12-42x56 NXS. The 15x power scope seems to hold its own soo far though. Have got most of my scores around the 56 and up mark outa 60. Im still a newbie at this game but
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building a .270 REM700 rechambered in .308, Kreiger 30" 5R in 1:10 twist with Palma contour, McMillan A4 stock 70% light tan-30% medium tan. </div></div>

Good find on the scope. I recently did a ton of comparison and shopping and actually went with a seldom mentioned underdog...the Bushnell Elite Tactical 4.5x34 with 90moa adjustment. Best glass I've looked through under $2500...super happy.

Now about the 5R rifling...isn't it Kreiger's site that says 5R's just a spoof and show no evidence of being more accurate?

I like my sightron 10-50x60 sightron you can buy 2 for the price of the night force and they are crisp.

OK I'll add my $00.02 worth. I use a Leupold 8.5-25x50, 30mm tube w/ TMR reticule. I like the TMR because the space in center fits the 10-x ring @ 1,000 yds. This scope is on an older model Tubb T2K in 308. I wish I shot as well as it does !!! My excuse for the last 2 years is due to medical problems & before that ... well I had more bad faults to work on than good faults to deal with.
Down here in the South I have to wonder if higher than 25x is worth the trouble with all the mirage ? Seems like we always have high humidity and later in the HardRock season (anytime after FEB) high temps which create that wonderful mirage. I'd really like a S&B in same but cost & usage don't justify cost. I've looked through several shooters S&B's and the glass is PURE.Just don't need mildot. Hit me with a PM if you want to see mine, I'm local to you or for that matter ask Adam in the Shooting Club.
regards

I use a Nightforce 8-32 x 56mm NXS with the NP-2DD and .125 moa clicks. There are pros and cons between it and the 12-42. 32 is plenty of power and you get more adjustment with it. At 42 power there is a good bit of difference looking at the X ring at 1000 yards but even at 32 power its not an issue. If you consider you will end up dialing it back with mirage anyway you really only gain that magnification in the morning or under ideal conditions and you live with the trade-offs the whole time. The 8-32 has a more reasonable low end if you wanted to use it for something else later too.

For fclass the .125 clicks are nice. The NP-2DD reticle is perfect for fclass and works well for hunting too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to F T/R myself. I just locked down a 12-42X56 NF BR. I wanted an NXS but this one was offered to me for $975 w/ rings and rail. Cant wait to go and shoot but just found out yesterday that my rifle won't be completed and ready for me to pick up until the first week of January. It was supposed to be finished by the end of next week. Oh well, the guy builds great rifles so I can stand to wait another month. Don't have much time to shoot over the next month anyway so it's no big deal.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nevermind</div></div>

That's why they make variables.......so you can the the power down to whatever magnification is optimum for the current condition. There is no law that says you have to shoot it always at the highest power. However if you have a 5.5x22 there is no way you can turn it up to 32 or 42......+1 on the fellow who said he'd shoot a Hubble.

NF nxs 8x32 is all I need , almost got the 12x42 but the 8 x 32. Is PLENTY to get u 1k and more versatal for
My needs

Gl

i put a sightron S111 10-50 x60 ir moa-2 so far i have dialed it up on 50 twice but it is nice to be able to dial down if needed.the lighted dot is nice to put on the X .