• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Scope?

What Scope?

• Total voters

sprice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Utah
What scope is most durable, and best for me?

Rifle is a .308 20" barrel, used for long range targets, police style sniper tournaments, and mountain hunting up to about 300 yards.

I want something that is Durable (*reliability is most important to me), with FFP reticle, and preferably with illumination (it would be nice, but not if I have to sacrifice anything). I'm willing to spend about $1500. Scope should also be under 27 oz (the lighter the better).

Also, the swfa 5-20x looks good but is it to much magnification?

Last edited:
The weaver is a nice scope and has everything you could want, pius good glass. Only thing is the weight. It is one heavy sob, but hard to get the same features in a FFP under a couple grand.

I have the weaver and moved it to my chassis rig. If you could live with SFP the NF compact is a perfect fit for an LTR type of rifle.

I was actually looking at the nightforces first, but between the 2nd focal plane and 30 oz; I'm looking for something a little more practical.

Last edited:
Of those listed, I'd probably vote for the Bushnell, mainly for the g2dmr reticle (even at 24.4 oz). All those listed would be great scopes. I really like the IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP mil/mil at 18 oz though!

Leupold doesn't make those 2 scopes with FFP and illumination.

Just curious why you feel you need illumination?

I really like bushnell's products but have been really impressed with the quality of glass of kahles. Kahles for me.

have never had a problem with my Leupolds. mount, sight in, dont have to worry about chasing bullets the next season. lifetime warranty. made in the US

I'd have to go with the Vortex. I have nothing against Leupold, they are great scopes and I spent alot of time behind a 4.5-14 Mark 4. That being said, the Leupold 4.5-14 FFP is 1600 bucks and that's without illumination. The Vortex is 900 bucks with FFP and illumination. The glass in the Leupold is possibly slightly better IMO but it's definitely not 700 bucks better! As far as warranty goes, there's no way to beat Vortex's warranty!

Rifle is a .308 20" barrel, used for long range targets, police style sniper tournaments, and mountain hunting up to about 300 yards.

I want something that is Durable (*reliability is most important to me), with FFP reticle, and preferably with illumination. I'm willing to spend about $1500. Scope should also be under 27 oz (closer to 20 is ideal).

Of your list I voted for the Bushnell, based on weight, optical quality, apparent construction quality, and reticle.

If you want illumination your options are much more limited.

I currently own the Bushnell and Weaver from your list, and briefly had and returned the Viper PST 4-16x50 as well. The Viper PST I had was clearly below the Bushnell and Weaver in optical quality - more so vs. the Bushnell than the Weaver, but below both. Even when comparing the PST at 12x, well below its max, with the Bushnell at its 12x max the Bushnell was still well ahead. The PST also had an extremely picky eye position at higher magnification. The PST tries hard to offer every possible feature in one scope and I can only guess that glass had to be sacrificed to keep the price within its category.

Bushnell Elite 3-12x44mm - I consider this a great scope. Turret feel could be better, but I don't find anything else to complain about. This is my favorite sub-$1k scope I've tried so far.

Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm - this is pretty good. I'm not thrilled with the pop-up turrets, either for feel or reports of durability issues. Glass is very good but not as good as the Bushnell. IMHO a great value at the $700 or less typical selling price. It is big and heavy, like most 50mm objective scopes.

Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm. I owned one of these for a couple months. Glass quality was very good, and turret feel was decent. I sold it for about what I had paid (used) after deciding it just didn't offer much for the price, with the low-aspirations 3x zoom range, 40mm objective, MOA based adjustments (I prefer mil), and second focal plane. I also own a Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42mm that costs less than half as much, and would rate it at least as good as the Mark 4 in every daily use category, though obviously durability may not (or may!) be as good. I don't consider the SFP Mark 4 a serious contender at the $1099 retail price I've seen (I paid $730 used, and didn't think it a good value even at that price).

I have no experience with the Kahles or the 4.5-14x50mm Leupold.

You might want to add the SWFA SS 5-20x50mm to your list. It comes in both $1299 non-illuminated and $1499 illuminated versions. I'll know a lot more about it when the UPS guy brings mine later this afternoon.

I kinda like the kahles but are those turrets adjustable?

And that swfa does look like a good choice... might it be to much magnification for me though?

Last edited:
I have to say the Vortex is a fantastic scope for the money. Just yesterday I was shooting with my buddy. He is running the NF 5.5-22. We were both getting easy hits at 400 yards. The NF is an awesome scope no doubt, but my scope was $900 vs the NF at $1800-1900. I DIDN'T see $900 dollars difference in the two. I know several SWAT Snipers that are spending their own money on the Vortex's. For the money and the features such as illumination, zero stop, clarity, repeatability of clicks, the lifetime warranty, the Vortex is VERY HARD TO BEAT.