• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What semi auto 308

Firefox1234

Minuteman
Apr 15, 2017
Ok before anyone lays into this thread, it's been a long while to put anything on here member of ( old time hide ) I remember Montana marine, few more brothers. Really haven't been here in a long time. I lost my wife awhile ago so wasn't really interested. So my question is what semi auto 308 do you like, what would choose ( tactical purposes ) thanks gunny.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
Are you thinking something like a ~18" 308 with a bipod and shooting mostly between 100-500 yards? Any chance you're going to suppress it? Any weight restrictions or preferences? There's quite a bit you can do to really tailor a 308 to different applications or competitions if that's what you're thinking.

I think the larue uu is one of the best deals in 308. I have been debating getting a 18i 308 for a while...

LMT MWS (MLOK or SLK...not the quad rail) w/ SS barrel

I’ve run KAC and LaRue, yet would still go LMT. End of the day though, any of those three would do you fine with most shooters never being able to tell the difference.
The MWS upper and quick change barrel system really puts it over the others.

Last edited:
I have an LaRue tOBR and love it. it will shoot better than sub MOA at 100 yards with FGMM I always shoot with a suppressor and have had 0 problems with the gun. that is why I favor guns with adjustable gas blocks.

I have heard the LMT is over gassed with a suppressor on and the lack of adjustable gas block is why it has never appealed to me. But they make great stuff as well as the others on the list

Last edited:
I have heard the LMT is over gassed with a suppressor on and the lack of adjustable gas block is why it has never appealed to me. But they make great stuff as well as the others on the list

The older quad rail versions had over gassing issues with some supressors (mine hated my SDN6 and SAS Tomb) but the slickside/MLOK versions shouldn’t have the same issues, esp if you run something like a surefire SOCOM.

The OBR is a nice looking rifle.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I really like my LWRC AR10. I have the TALO CSASS model and have no complaints whatsoever. I will be adding a suppressor and NV this year. I use mine for hogs and general shooting out to 800 with a Vortex Gen II Razor 1-6. It's a great general purpose rifle.

Haha, I love the FAL.

I'm in the "build it" camp. I've always ended up with something nicer than what I could get off the shelf, usually for less money.

But if you want a production rifle, I like the OBR or the LWRC. Hell, even my Gen II SASS from DPMS is an easy sub MoA rifle.

I have a Rock River LAR-8, AR-10 variant, that has been dead on reliable and accurate for me. Capable of MOA if you do your part.

I have an LaRue tOBR and love it. will shoot 1 hole at 100 yards with FGMM I always shoot with a suppressor and have had 0 problems with the gun. that is why I favor guns with adjustable gas blocks.

1 hole? Interesting

• Haha
Reactions: Darqusoull13
Sorry for your loss, glad your getting something back in your life to increase your enjoyment.

Brains say get a KAC/LMT class of AR. Best adaptability, customizable, most durable.

But your heart, your soul, may want something lighter, something more elegant, a weapon from an earlier age......

I just left the range after delivering 20 rounds of semi auto .308......

033120.jpg

0331201.jpg

0331202.jpg

0331203.jpg

0331204.jpg

0331206.jpg

0331205.jpg

I have two lmt mws 308s, one is a Danish police overrun and a south American canteen green overrun. Both shoot sub moa, I run 168 fgmm and get. 68 constantly, I've been thinking of giving prime ammo a go to see if the groups could get tighter.
Both run without a hiccup and are pretty soft shooting. ?

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

• 20200226_140902.jpg
    20200226_140902.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 146
+1 on the LMT. My mws has been flawless.

The only thing I would say negative is their two stage trigger. It feels to me that the first stage is zero pounds and everything on the second stage. I bought the giessele ssa-e and it's phenomenally better, I've been contemplating getting a hi-speed national match for my Danish lmt. ?

Semper fi
Horner

I have the full four sided rail LMT.

It's a beast of a rifle.

Ran it for a while with an S&B 5-25 PMII. And a first gen Magpul PSR stock. I mounted a bat on top of a club.

Good bench rifle.

Gave it a diet though.

Went back to the SOPMOD and mounted a USO 1-8X.

The slick sliders were not an option when I bought my rifle.

My favorite feature is the only liability for my choice.

The plus - I love pulling the barrel and getting to perform a solid PM.

The down side - The extension adds to the weight and if I had it in mind to go with a Bartlein or Kreiger I'll have to salvedge my existing CL barrel to use the extension and get the custom barrel built.

Still though it's a "machine" reminds me of the '60E3 when I shoulder it off the bipod. Solid.

Two options for lighter weight if you don’t want a heavy AR10:

Or

I own a 2A in 6.5 Creedmoor and it’s been fantastic, but I built it on their receiver, I did not buy their complete rifle. I picked up a POF Revolution at the NRA show a couple years ago and it was impressive, but I’ve never shot one.

I've got an LWRC REPR MK I side charger with the 16.5" Spiral fluted barrel. It has the 4-position gas block and is dead reliable suppressed or not. It is just under an MOA gun without the can and about .6 MOA with my Ultra 9 with no POI shift with or without can. I shoot FGMM 168 in it pretty much exclusively. I have had a half dozen AR-10's and this has been my fave by far. ATACR 4-16x42 up top. Having said that, I've never had a KAC or LMT, so I suppose I'm missing out. Maybe.....

I'll throw a crazy one. Sig 716. Mine eats it all and spits it out reliably and accurately. But I have one of the originals with the quad rail handgaurd just before they came out with the G2 models. Turned it into a heavy ass DMR. Just don't bother trying to get another upper of your own as everything is their own proprietary sauce. Haven't played with a G2 variant.

I'll throw a crazy one. Sig 716. Mine eats it all and spits it out reliably and accurately. But I have one of the originals with the quad rail handgaurd just before they came out with the G2 models. Turned it into a heavy ass DMR. Just don't bother trying to get another upper of your own as everything is their own proprietary sauce. Haven't played with a G2 variant.

I had one of the 716 DMRs for a little bit. talked to the guy who bought it from me, and he is getting .3-.5 groups at 100 with FGMM. that's hard to beat in a gas gun

LMT for a heavier battle rifle built like a tank priced reasonably. Also, the barrel change is a nice feature. Not only for caliber changes, but also for changing out shot out barrels ;)
JP for accuracy, smoothness, and suppressor use. Not cheap, but i found a nice 6.5 with side charger on here for$2200 recently.
Scar 17 for lightweight, accurate battle rifle, and the "cool" factor. Something about shooting the scar, always makes me smile. The ergos leave something to be desired, but just blast to run and gun with.

KAC or LMT ran both and they are very accurate..........btw know one mentioned GAP-10

It really depends on the intended use. I have a few SA .308s. I would say it depends on your budget and use. The ones I still have in inventory

KAC ECC
Larue OBR and tOBR
HK 91 and SR9T

I have also owned and sold for various reasons

M1A Super Match
LWRC REPR
LMT
Les Baer

Never owned a GAP 10 but have shot my buds many times and it is fucking awesome

I have owned a bunch of semi auto .308’s. For anything but fixed position shooting or a range toy most are pigs.

A good AR will be among the most accurate. None of the AR’s had any field use for me. Heavy and cumbersome. Hard to shoot offhand etc.

Presently I own one .308 semi. It’s a NM M1A.
I do a little shooting to 800 yards with it and remove some problem animals every year. Mostly, it’s an insurance policy for me.

Reactions: FatBoy and Stevo86
agreed. obviously i am jaded, but i have not met anyone that didn't smile after shooting mine for the first time.
i pretty much agree with everything this guy says.

of course, there is always going to be AR loyalists that won't consider a piston driven platform even if cleaner and arguably more reliable.

Last edited: