• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What semi auto 308

agreed. obviously i am jaded, but i have not met anyone that didn't smile after shooting mine for the first time.
i pretty much agree with everything this guy says.

of course, there is always going to be AR loyalists that won't consider a piston driven platform.
Agreed, out of the box hard pressed to find a more capable gasser

I really like this forum. But sometimes it really makes me want things. I'm lacking a .308. Been checking out all the rifles listed in this thread. Lots of really nice rifles. Huh....

My LMT MWS suwas a pig so I sold it.

My REPR too was heavy,

My DD5V1 is close to .5 moa, light weight, but the stupid ass charging handle has me selling for something else. Maybe a V3?

SR25 is spendy

My budget gun would be an Aero M5

How would a well built and spec’d Aero M5 compare to a KAC or LMT?

Thinking 16” barreled high round count rifle.

I'm piecing one together now. Just waiting on Brownells to send me a few parts. I'm using a 16" Critrtion barrel chrome lined barrel, Aero Precision receiver set with Atlas R-one 12" handguard, Burris XTR II 1-8x optic. So far so good.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Nice, sounds similar to what I envision for mine. Though it’ll be a year or two before I can get to it. Looking at about 4.5k including 2k for an optic set up, and all accessories.

Just wondering if I should bite it and get an LMT/KAC. KACs are like 3.5-4k base though.

Go big or go home.
replica in .308 win
1585837473382.png

I got a 20 inch 6.5 waiting for me. Of course it was supposed to arrive in October but now it’s august. Expect 1.5 year wait from JDI.
But can’t wait to get my hands on it. Swiss guns are quality
You totally gotta do a post here when ya get it! I’d give anything for a SG 551 or 751

Oh man o_O is that your’s? I’ve always wondered, how did the FG compare to the G43 accuracy-wise? Because as I understand it, the Germans wanted to use the G43 as a DMR/sniper, but had trouble retaining zero.. was the FG42 any better in this regard?
Not mine, I definitely do not have the expendable income for something like that. I first saw it on an episode of In Range TV

LMT vote over here. Built like absolute tanks.

I have two 16" cL rifles and they're both sub moa with match ammo. Absolute unquestionable reliability.

Reactions: Jsp556 and LMT/556

Nobody stopping you from building your own home built ar10 if your looking to save money but itll never be an LMT or KAC. And dont let some broke dick who built his own claiming its just as good fool you. If your asking then yes LMT is a bargain for what you get and even used ones go for a premium because they earned the reputation. If you were to sell your home built you probably wouldnt get half what you put into it.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Jsp556 and LMT/556
for non precision work : M1A and SCAR17.. SCAR is light weight

For precision: Build your own. Its so simple now and you can put it together for less with the best of each component.

Seekins parts kit, Craddock bartlein or criterion barrel, JP internals, trigger and furniture of choice... done and feel-goodism that you did it yourself and saved money.

Hit the lotto: KAC

Nobody stopping you from building your own home built ar10 if your looking to save money but itll never be an LMT or KAC. And dont let some broke dick who built his own claiming its just as good fool you. If your asking then yes LMT is a bargain for what you get and even used ones go for a premium because they earned the reputation. If you were to sell your home built you probably wouldnt get half what you put into it.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree that an LMT will probably be better than most home assembled rifles and will hold its value better. However, 99.99% of the people on this forum will never be in a sustained firefight where their life is depending on the functioning of their rifle no matter what they think. You don't need a LMT or KAC rifle to put holes in paper or to ping steel. I like assembling my own but I'm not "broke dick". I could afford probably any of the rifles that have been mentioned in this thread. They won't ping steel any better than what I already have though.

I agree that an LMT will probably be better than most home assembled rifles and will hold its value better. However, 99.99% of the people on this forum will never be in a sustained firefight where their life is depending on the functioning of their rifle no matter what they think. You don't need a LMT or KAC rifle to put holes in paper or to ping steel. I like assembling my own but I'm not "broke dick". I could afford probably any of the rifles that have been mentioned in this thread. They won't ping steel any better than what I already have though.

I really, really, really hope your right that my rifles only ever ping steel and hole paper........

Reactions: drum13 and theLBC
I really, really, really hope your right that my rifles only ever ping steel and hole paper........
me too.
i bought my rifle to protect my family, my freedoms and my country if necessary.
i just shoot paper and steel for practice and fun because i have the rifle and need to be proficient with it.

Last edited:

a big part of why i dont build rifles anymore is resale value. You spend a ton of money on parts, and if you ever want to get rid of it, you take a bath. You'll be lucky to get back 70% of what you put in, typically getting 50% or less.

I like my firearms to be liquid and retain value, and if that is in any way important to you, building your own does not fit that category.

Last edited:
Reactions: FriedAss
I just got my Barrett REC10 in. I have not shot it yet, but this thing has me impressed for the $2,300 I paid for it. Excellent handguard, lightweight barrel with threads and a nut that clamps the gas block. Bolt looks quality, and the cam pin is a bearing type. Ambidextrous controls that feel very good.

Balance point when empty is somewhere inside the magazine well. Gun is just over 8 pounds dry.

It's a mil spec, chrome lined steel barrel, and has a basic mil spec trigger. I've heard guys get .75 MOA with match loads from these. I didn't buy it to make beautiful groups.

What surprises me the most is that it feels like an AR-15. I really expected this thing to feel like a longer, girthier, heavier gun, and it doesn't. It feels like a nice AR-15.

I like my firearms to be liquid and retain value, and if that in any way important to you, building your own does not fit that category.

I share the same mindset sir. Luckily I sold my custom bolt rifles before every other dude with a lathe in America was screwing barrels into receivers.

I snagged one of my MWS's that had (supposedly) 1,700 rounds on it for $1800 with 20 pmags about 1.5yrs ago. I feel bad for the guys out there who are shopping for firearms now.

me too.
i bought my rifle to protect my family, my freedoms and my country if necessary.
i just shoot paper and steel for practice and fun because i have the rifle and need to be proficient with it.
Every one of my home assembled rifles are capable of the same and have never failed to go bang when I've pulled the trigger.

Reactions: theLBC
FAL in inch or metric pattern. They don't call it a battle rifle because it is not worthy . My bolt guns provide precision. SA provides firepower.

If you want a battle rifle aka tactical rifle I think you almost have to go with a Scar 17 or Rec 10 for the price. I could be wrong but I think the Rec 10 is only DI whereas the Scar is piston. I would go with the Scar 17.

If you want a precision gun then the previous mentions with an 18" or 20" SS match barrel would be your best bet. That can get very expensive though. I haven't shot an SP-10 but it might be the best bang for your buck in this realm.

Every one of my home assembled rifles are capable of the same and have never failed to go bang when I've pulled the trigger.
awesome! thousands of rounds without having to clean it?
we are at opposite ends of the spectrum, and i envy you for being able to have lots of choices.
other than my dad's '62 Winchester Model 88 (.308) and trusty 10/22, i only have one rifle.
i can't throw it down and pick up another one.
if wasn't so close to being one of the poors, i'd be more like you with lots. ?

I had a pair of early Sig 716's, both were MOA and ran fine.

Black Rain Ordnance....although mine has JP everything else (replaced a few things at the time) only BRO is the upper and lower. I wouldn’t mind getting a Larue though!

I've been happy with my dd5v1. Shoots 3/4 moa with fgmm 168. Been seriously considering getting one in 6.5 creedmoor.

Look through the semi auto forum and compare the “Help! My gun doesn’t run” threads. How many are home builds? How many are budget factory guns? How many are LMT, Scar, KAC, HK, Colt/Diemaco?

Don’t be scared of a used semi from a top tier manufacturer. Most people don’t shoot them enough to put any significant wear on them. Avoid bubba’s home build.

Look through the semi auto forum and compare the “Help! My gun doesn’t run” threads. How many are home builds? How many are budget factory guns? How many are LMT, Scar, KAC, HK, Colt/Diemaco?

Don’t be scared of a used semi from a top tier manufacturer. Most people don’t shoot them enough to put any significant wear on them. Avoid bubba’s home build.

Maybe some one could clip pieces from all the home built issues. I'm sure that would be in the 100's instead of 4. My LMT MWS and MRP have never had a FTF or FTE even during load development. Extremely accurate and rock solid, if you're wanting a battle proven weapon get an LMT or KAC. For a range toy, just build what you want.

Reactions: Jsp556

You are exactly the the kind of person im talking about!

Reactions: Merle
So you found 4..

The semi forum would shut down without the home build threads. Guess they are the best for generating web traffic and punching the bandwidth.?
Oh there are more. Those were all on the first 20 pages. Just goes to show you that nothing is perfect. I do agree there are plenty of posts about home builds with issues but its usually guys using the bottom of the barrel parts having problems. I have a few questions Id appreciate honest answers if you all would oblige me; If I assembled my own rifle with all the premium parts, like a Krieger barrel, LMT BCG, Geissele trigger, etc. would that still make me a "Bubba"? How about if I assembled my own bolt gun with an ARC action, Bartlein pre-fit barrel, KRG chassis, etc. would I still be a "Bubba"?

LaRue tOBR gets my vote. Been my go to since I got it, one of the first few out the door. I’ve put thousands of pounds of meat in the freezer with it.

Few said OBR already. I have one and love it, and it shoots amazing. I would not recommend it as a fighting rifle, it’s heavy.

Reactions: bfk4lyfe
I don't have a ton of rounds through it yet, but I've been very happy with my Seekins SP10M. Mile High is (was?) clearing them out & I picked up one with a TBAC brake for $100 less than a regular SP10. I'm running it with a NF NXS 3-15 for now.

Consistently shoots at or under MOA with our Hornady 168 ELDM duty ammo. I swapped the single stage trigger for a two stage LaRue I had on hand & definitely prefer that.

I'm pretty new to the whole precision thing, just got assigned to our sniper team at work and I have all of one week long course & a few training days under my belt. I've also never shot any of the other recommended guns. I'm more consistent with my issued AI/K318i combo, but that could very well be all on me.

All that to say, take my experience with a grain of salt, but when Cabela's puts the regular one on sale again, I'm probably going to jump on one as a spare.

Reactions: Mike4837
Interesting to see Larue products get some love on this forum. How things change.
My vote is Larue as well. I'll be purchasing another 308 gasser in the next year or so and it will either be a t'OBR or a GAP-10.

picked up a PTR-32 7.62X39 3 years ago and its the most accurate in this caliber i have ever shot and with just a prism 4 power scope.
roller locked arms don't care what load you use they shoot anything in 7.62X51 and in this case any 7.62X39 ammo.
bR1B4OO.jpg
CK977zt.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 36
From vicarious experience, to qualify, 308 gas guns are not as forgiving as their 5.56 counterparts.

I have a Noveske N6 with swichblock that runs fine. Can shoot 3/4” groups with the Magtech Sniper ammo when the nut behind the stock does his part.

bought a LEO used DD5V1 for one of my groomsmen at my wedding. Rifle could shoot 3/4” groups too.

Had a PredatOBR with 16” barrel that I traded for a GAP bolt gun. Best. Trade. Ever!