• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What should I torque my McMillan stock to?

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
Took my A5 off to do a few things to the rifle. Two action screws. What should I torque them to? I have the aluminum pillars installed from the factory.
Thanks in advance.

65 in/lbs is the maximum. Set your torque where your rifle shoots best. My rifles shoot best between 40-50 in/lbs.

Thanks guys. Yeah I've got a driver in inch/lbs., si I'm good to go there. I appreciate it.

How to determine the right torque?

Try different torque (ex: 40, 50, 60, 65 in/lbs), shoot your rifle on paper target (or whatever) with your best loads; if holes far apart, bad torque, if holes very close together or better, good torque ;)
Some rifles even like different torque between front and back, depends on the rifle. In addition, stocks will take different pressure; for this specific case (OP), most people go for the 65 in/lbs but it may vary some. For other stocks, it will be very different; ex: my Anschutz is at 25 in/lbs, my 700 PSS is at 65.

Last edited:
Try different torque (ex: 40, 50, 60, 65 in/lbs), shoot your rifle on paper target (or whatever) with your best loads; if holes far apart, bad torque, if holes very close together or better, good torque ;)Some rifles even like different torque between front and back, depends on the rifle.
Interestting.. so when doing load developing how can you tell its not the load giving you bad groups but the torque.. and what torque you use while doing load developing?

Interestting.. so when doing load developing how can you tell its not the load giving you bad groups but the torque.. and what torque you use while doing load developing?

I always went with the builder/manufacturer specs and never had an issue but I would say that if someone is having a hard time in their load development (groups unusually large), they may want to check the stock's torque, as well as scope base and rings.
I have a few older rifles (M-N) and when/if the stock getting loose, groups open drastically.

I always went with the builder/manufacturer specs and never had an issue but I would say that if someone is having a hard time in their load development (groups unusually large), they may want to check the stock's torque, as well as scope base and rings. I have a few older rifles (M-N) and when/if the stock getting loose, groups open drastically.
I always go what with 65inch on all my bedded stock and require torque from parts manufacturer..i think theres to many variables while doing load test and playing with torque on action its an add on.. but it does make sense... i wonder how much of a diff on POI between 40-65 inch?

45-50 inch/pound works for almost every type of actions, pillar bedded are less susceptible of various torque weight, make sure it is tight and work your load from there, it will make your life easier and shooting more enjoyable.
cheers.

Just keep the torque the same during load development. Only change one thing at a time to see how that affects your results. MFG spec is probably your best choice until you get every thing else dialed in.

The major manufacturers (Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc.) will all tell you that their recommended torque settings is in the 30 in lb to 35 in lb range. In the McMillan shop we usually set them at about 35 in. lbs. Never had a barreled action fall out of a stock at this torque setting.

The experience I get to tap into on this site is awesome! Cuts out a whole lots of WAGs.

you don't do both at the same time. try a round like fgmm or whatever match round you want, or just a hand load that's known or just load the minimum. shoot, torque more, shoot, torque more, repeat til the best accuracy with that load is reached. then develop your loads

I have all my stocks torqued to 65 inch pounds and they shoot good. I have two 308's one with a bell and Carlson a-5 and one with a McMillan a-5 both shoot great.