• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Steel Targets are you using for 100 and 200 Yards?

iggyort

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
New Jersey
www.obrams.org
We at the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club are in the process of buying steel for the upcoming shooting season. We would like know what steel targets are you using for 100 and 200 yards?

I like the JC Steel 1/2 inch for 100. I'll always end up with someone trying to use SuperSpeed jackets loads and denting my 1/4 inch AR 500...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

We have 1/4" AR500 for .22LR.

We also have a lot of 3/8" and 1/2" premium AR500 targets that seem to last forever too!!

let us know if we can help in any way.

for a rimfire event only, i'd go with something that has a varmint profile, then the "standard" 12", 8", 6", 4" for ranging / execution type stuff, maybe a steel ipda target, have someone weld beads as scoring rings on them. a dueling tree would be nice, and a couple pepper poppers but don't know at 100 yards if SV ammo will move them though, even on the rimfire rated ones. some of the rimfire only spinners i've used have no issues at 150ish with SV, at least just moving back and forth.

being able to flip flop some of them for centerfires is a big help, ar500, with ar400 in 3/8 being as low as i'd go to be able to do the flip flop. if just rimfire only, there's a ton of stuff you can get or have made, just depends on what your COF and feel of what you want your match to be.

with SV i shoot 1/2" thick out to 425Y with the rimfire, REALLY hard to hear the ping if at all, Lord knows the steel doesn't swing, even on the 8", 6". @ 325Y there is slight movement on the 8" 6" and 3" and a recognizable "ping", but you really have to listen when others are firing on the line. at 220Y, there's some movement on a 12", more movement and a louder ping on 8" 6" and 4".

doing silhouette, we have a few swingers (animals) and the free standing rams fall well enough but they are much thinner and lighter steel than AR.

something like this, but only diamond counts as a hit (chest flapper) 25% IPSC Style Target or an eye Rimfire Skull Target

Jc steel has a whole bunch of sizes, shapes, and thicknesses.

for the DIYer:

i think Joe martin here on the hide came up with using washers and laminating them toghether with a carriage bolt, but i can't find the link.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-rimfire-section/19360-new-steel-target.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ction/152719-my-homemade-rimfire-targets.html

3/8" A36 steel. Targets L to R 12", 9", 6", 5" 4", & 3". I use the 12", 9", & 6" at 200yds; 6", 5", & 4" at 150yds; and 5", 4", & 3" at 100yds.

As a MD you can do a "know your limits" type stage or you can do a set point value for each target size with say 5 shots. We had a local centerfire match do the latter version of the stage at 600yds with IIRC a 12", 8", and 6" circle; point values of 10, 20, & 40. You saw a lot of different strategies employed, though only a few successfully. ;)

We at the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club are in the process of buying steel for the upcoming shooting season. We would like know what steel targets are you using for 100 and 200 yards?

1/4" is best for .22 in that it's more reactive and hits are easier to hear/spot at distance. Not suitable for other calibers though.

i think Joe martin here on the hide came up with using washers and laminating them together with a carriage bolt, but i can't find the link.

They really didn't hold up like I hoped they would. Also, once all the washers, bolt & nut, and other hardware to mount them, they weren't cost effective. A three inch target from quality Targets was actually cheaper.

I've been using A-36 Steel, but I agree that the AR500 is the way to go. I'm going to be sure to follow this thread for all the good metal target idea's!

I got these last week, made a couple of stands and put a coat of paint on them this weekend. This is the 100 yard target (3") and a 6" will be used for 200 yards. Also got a small IPSC profile (5" x 8 1/4") which still needs a stand. Got them from a local shop (Target Man) here in town. They're 3/8" AR500 & should last a while for 22 shooting.

dj8g.jpg

I got these last week, made a couple of stands and put a coat of paint on them this weekend. This is the 100 yard target (3") and a 6" will be used for 200 yards. Also got a small IPSC profile (5" x 8 1/4") which still needs a stand. Got them from a local shop (Target Man) here in town. They're 3/8" AR500 & should last a while for 22 shooting.

dj8g.jpg

That's a decent looking, strong stand, looks extremely stackable too! Good job.

I built auto resetting plate racks. I mounted the 3/8 plate high above the hinge so .22' even at 300 yards will knock down the 8" plates.

On the 10 plate rack there are 4 2", 4 4" and 2 6" with the reset done by the last 6" plate.

They fold and have wheels for transport and operate off of a single 12 v deer feeder battery.

platerack2.jpg

HPIM0395.jpg

jmorris you are one of, if not THE most inventive and talented fungun "STUFF" fabricators I have ever seen..... You continue to amaze me...

For those of you who have never seen any of his other creations... You would be amazed and wish you had some of his Many wonderful projects...

3/8" A36 steel. Targets L to R 12", 9", 6", 5" 4", & 3". I use the 12", 9", & 6" at 200yds; 6", 5", & 4" at 150yds; and 5", 4", & 3" at 100yds.

As a MD you can do a "know your limits" type stage or you can do a set point value for each target size with say 5 shots. We had a local centerfire match do the latter version of the stage at 600yds with IIRC a 12", 8", and 6" circle; point values of 10, 20, & 40. You saw a lot of different strategies employed, though only a few successfully. ;)

thanks bunsen didnt know a good way to say it
also OP check out conover22tsc on you tube
might be somthing different