• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Stock Are You Running on Your Hunting Rifle

HogsLife

War Machine Leather Works
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2018
    N. Idaho
    Wondering what you guys like to run on your hunting rifle. Im building a “light weight” North Idaho elk rifle and kicking around a few different option

The rifle will be :
    Remington 700 Sendero 7mm Mag
    26” Proof Sendero Light 1:8:5
    Ti Trigger Gaurd / Floorplate

Stocks im Considering. would really prefer CF (but not Gunwerx $$$$

Manners MCS-T
    Manners MCS-T3
    Manners MCS-EH1

McMillan Game Hunter
    McMillan Game Warden

Arizona Precision Altitude

I’m torn between the more traditional narrow forend and the wider forend so I have the ability to mount some type of Arca rail for my RRS

What you guys thinkin? Appreciate e input.

Blaser R8 Professional on mine, but the guns weigh 10 pounds with a 4-14x50 30mm scope on them, and don't work for a 700.

On my ARC Nucleus 700 I am using a Greybull Precision stock I bought off of ebay. I built a search that sends me an email anytime someone post one. I bought two that way.

Greybull made them in both 700 long and 700 short.

Reactions: HogsLife
    Iv got an eh1, adjustable game scout and a game warden.

I personally prefer the mcmillan however they need something on the comb.
    If your not willing to add anything to the comb the eh1 would probably be my choice. Also another plus is manners is a little more willing to add things like a tripod mount to a stock. They also offer a UL cheek piece and the mini chassis.

Both mcmillan and manners have been great to work with.

A picatinny rail on the e foreend works well when they are skinnier for a tripod mount. That is if you have the combo head on your rrs

Reactions: Boman and HogsLife
    In running a Mesa precision altitude stock on a custom 7 Saum and it’s awesome. Extremely comfortable and great cheek weld for a non adjustable. Got another that should be here next week (5 week wait) for a ultralight 6.5 shorty build I have in the works. The one I have weighed in at 24 oz before bedding. Also fairly sure they’re making adjustable models now that aren’t on their website. I have a 338 Norma mag that’s in a McMillan Remington hunter stock that I’m thinking of replacing but with a AG adjustable Visigoth as it’s closer to 40 oz.

McMillan Game Warden ADJ with the carbon fill, Mod 70 LA 28 NOS, Bartlein 3b. Pretty happy with this setup, lightest profile I could finish at 26” and thread 9/16 x 24 for a CB brake.

I was planning on the AG Composite Hunter but also considering the Grayboe Phoenix. Adjustable comb and LOP at the same weight as a non-adjustable game warden or ag hunter.

Have been shooting as is factory stocks since 1964. Deer & elk each year. They, the deer & elk never knew the difference.

Lol no I don’t imagine the would.I just picked up a 1950 Pre-64 M70 in a 270 I plan on using, so I can appreciate the old stuff. Jack Oconner more than proved theyll make it happen. Just not what I’m looking for in this build

I’d look into AG composites alpine hunter. Sub 30 oz, all carbon fiber, very clean Inletting, and theyre delivering in under two months, and the price is right where you’d expect.

im glad you u brought them up. Honestly I’ve never seen their stocks but I just checked them out and that Alpine Hunter us titties. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I like the Hs precision that came on my Sendero. I like the McMillan mc3 too

yeah that’s what I have on my Sendero at the moment. Not a bad stock, Just looking for something a bit Lighter.

I have an AG composite alpine hunter also. I like it a lot and will most likely get another one in the future

yeah that’s what I have on my Sendero at the moment. Not a bad stock, Just looking for something a bit Lighter.
    The McMillan Edge is a nice carbon fiber lightweight stock but it’s only about half a pound lighter than the hs precision. I don’t know if you’re gonna find a stock that'll make much difference. The barrel and scope is where the weight is. The old BDL or ADLs with iron sights were nice light hunting rifles. Unless I’m Varmint hunting most of my shots are well within a couple of hundred yards. They can be bought for not much more than a decent stock. An extra rifle is better than an extra stock. Just saying

Manners EH1A, EH4, CS
    Foundation Revelation, not CF and heavier. But it has a much nicer recoil impulse.

Last edited:
    Manners EH4

8E3C181E-5365-44A2-8905-E1E582C06819.jpeg

Wondering what you guys like to run on your hunting rifle. Im building a “light weight” North Idaho elk rifle and kicking around a few different option

The rifle will be :
    Remington 700 Sendero 7mm Mag
    26” Proof Sendero Light 1:8:5
    Ti Trigger Gaurd / Floorplate

Stocks im Considering. would really prefer CF (but not Gunwerx $$$$

Manners MCS-T
    Manners MCS-T3
    Manners MCS-EH1

McMillan Game Hunter
    McMillan Game Warden

Arizona Precision Altitude

I’m torn between the more traditional narrow forend and the wider forend so I have the ability to mount some type of Arca rail for my RRS

What you guys thinkin? Appreciate e input.
    Shoot. I have a couple if bone stock rifles weighing a tad over 7 lbs scoped. Perfect weight for me.

18” 308 in a Manners EH1 is my go to.
    18” 6.5CM in a McMillan A3 carbon is nice too. Both are around 31-32 ounces. The Game Warden is probably my second favorite behind the EH1. I like large objectives and when using 20 MOA bases the EH1 gets me high enough. The Alpine Hunter is probably my next one to try.

I have used and liked McMillan and AG composite carbon fiber stocks.

I have used and liked McMillan and AG composite carbon fiber stocks.

yeah man. After seeing that AG Alpine Hunter and the price, I think I’m gonna give it a go. Great looking stock, and pretty surprised at the price. Especially for CF.

16" 6CM in a eh4, cheek riser I made out of some .120" 5052 Aluminum with my english wheel and some rectangle stock I milled down to size. Light enough for the wife to carry and not bitch about it. Handy enough to put down yotes at nearly 600 yds. I was shooting a 8" plate at 960 with it last night. Probably my favorite rifle I currently own.
    20201129_103138.jpg
    20201220_105506.jpg

16" 6CM in a eh4, cheek riser I made out of some .120" 5052 Aluminum with my english wheel and some rectangle stock I milled down to size. Light enough for the wife to carry and not bitch about it. Handy enough to put down yotes at nearly 600 yds. I was shooting a 8" plate at 960 with it last night. Probably my favorite rifle I currently own. View attachment 7514082View attachment 7514081

nice bro! This is the 16.5” 6.5CM I built for my daughter. Great little rifle just a little light for elk. It’s on an Origin so just need to get her another barrel for it. Thinkin 7wsm or 300wsm. Just need to make sure it’s not gonna rattle her filings loose when she shoots it. Lol

829F2C61-7901-41BA-AD82-E9058591E810.jpeg

300 WBY
    Not the lightest stock at 38oz but I’m not lugging it 5 miles either. Kills elk.
    3/4 MOA with 80.4 gr RL22 and 180 Nosler AB or 75 gr RL23 and 225 ELD-M. Added the detachable mag.
    6EFB4629-7CBE-46D1-81D5-41CADCBD63AA.jpeg

nice bro! This is the 16.5” 6.5CM I built for my daughter. Great little rifle just a little light for elk. It’s on an Origin so just need to get her another barrel for it. Thinkin 7wsm or 300wsm. Just need to make sure it’s not gonna rattle her filings loose when she shoots it. Lol

View attachment 7514096

man I want one of those compact stocks!

Have been shooting as is factory stocks since 1964. Deer & elk each year. They, the deer & elk never knew the difference.

You’re not wrong. I could still be shooting deer with my .303 British SMLE and they wouldn’t know the difference, but there are better options.

I have Tikkas in both the McMillan Game Hunter and the ADJ Game Scout. They’re both very good. I need extra comb with the Game Hunter, but I need a lot of comb in general so that’s not surprising.

Last edited:
    I have an AG Alpine Hunter on my coyote rig, and love it so much I just bought another for a .308 build...they are just great stocks.

I got lucky and picked them both up from the Trading Post here on the 'hide.

View attachment 7514096

I will be taking a 6.5 SST to South Africa in about 6 months. I have shot everything from mature fallow and whitetails this year with a 6 creedmoor. I do not subscribe to the you need a "X" to shoot a certain animal. Training and proper shot placement.

Last edited:
    I will be taking a 6.5 SST to South Africa in about 6 months. I have shot everything from mature fallow and whitetails this year with a 6 creedmoor. I not subscribe to the you need a "X" to shoot a certain animal. Training and proper shot placement.

i 100% agree with proper shot placement and training, but you know as well as I do, more energy is better. Some animals are tougher than others. I mean I could shoot and elk right in the boiler maker with a 223 and it’d die..........eventually, but that don’t make it an ideal elk rifle. Personally, I try to keep the energy around 1500 ftlbs for elk. I let that dictate the range I’m willing to take one at. It beats then hell out of proper shot placement just to have the animal run off somewhere to die slow and risk not finding it at all because i didn’t bring enough gun.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jakeweb09
    I really like McMillan game scout. I also had a Manners eh-3 that I really wish I still had.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_173215949_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20201102_173215949_HDR.jpg
      653.3 KB · Views: 162
    • IMG_20180112_201336.jpg
      IMG_20180112_201336.jpg
      548.9 KB · Views: 148
    Using a Hogue Overmolded stock on my 35 Whelen. It is not fancy or pretty but it helps soak up some of the recoil which is good. I shoot this one pretty hard and it will set a fellow back a bit.

Attachments

• 266B45EC-5F02-4D94-9769-4310AAA5219B.jpeg
      266B45EC-5F02-4D94-9769-4310AAA5219B.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 111
    O
    Using a Hogue Overmolded stock on my 35 Whelen. It is not fancy or pretty but it helps soak up some of the recoil which is good. I shoot this one pretty hard and it will set a fellow back a bit.

yeah I bet it does. My dads runs that stock
    On his 243. Not a bad stock.

I have a Stiller Predator with a #3 contour Bartlein mounted in a McMillan Hunter with edge fill. Weighs 26 oz. Fits perfect, but I think that you are right. The 3b would be pushing the barrel channel on this stock. It could be done, but the edges around the fore end would be thin.

Manners EH-SL (27-29 oz)on lighter weight.
    Manners EH-2 (28-31 oz) on mid weight.
    Manners Ultra Classic (19 oz) for uber lightweight.
    also have a McMillan Classic Edge that’s only 24 ounces
    and a spare Proof lightweight that’s about 20 oz.

I have a 300 RUM in a Manners EH1 for wayyy out there and a 280 Ackley in an EH1 for most everything else. By and far my favorite stocks. I also have a Havak 6.5 that I took out of the Seekins Cf stock and parked in a Bravo chassis which does the job but is noticably heavier to truck around.

I think the best hunting rifle stock hasn't been made. A perfect stock to satisfy my taste would be a McMillan Hunter with a Remington Classic Forend.

XLR made a chassis for one of the gunwerks skunkwerks projects (lite sabr I believe) thats basically a magnesium XLR element with an integrated arca rail on the bottom. I think this would fly off the shelves if XLR would sell it outright

I think the best hunting rifle stock hasn't been made. A perfect stock to satisfy my taste would be a McMillan Hunter with a Remington Classic Forend.
    McMillan made it....its called the Game Stalker. I have one on order.....

McMillan made it....its called the Game Stalker. I have one on order.....

Not even close. The butt of the Game Stalker doesn't resemble a McMillan Hunter and the forend is a lot larger than a Remington Classic. The forend is about the size of an HTG, it may be an HTG forend.

Reactions: Travis224