• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What to do with an old Rem 700 PSS

mtechgunman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Colorado
I've got an old Rem 700 PSS that has north of 3K rounds down the tube that I need to figure out what to do with. It still shoots ok, but with my 5R in 308 and 338 LM it never sees daylight (doesn't even have a scope mounted on it).

One obvious option would be to convert it to 260.

What do you think about this:

AAC 260 bbl
MCM A5
Badger DBM

Thinking of possibly trying out one of the SS 5-20's

What says the hide?

Re: What to do with an old Rem 700 PSS

I just dropped my old 700p to the smith and having the barrel cut down to 19" threaded/capped and a badger bolt knob installed. Going to bed it and give it a camo makeover. Now I'm thinking mabe a badger dbm. My thought is I have a custom 308 comin and a 338lm action ordered why not make a shorty out of it. Spent $275 on the machining. 19" + a can I LIKE IT!

Not sure about 6BR but I like the 260 option because I can use the same bolt.

LOL 3000 rounds is only about half the barrel life you should be able to get out of a factory barreled 308, I would keep shooting it until 5k then go from there. On the change consider something like the 260AI or just go with 308 again.

The 260 is a good idea. The rest of the parts you have listed will make a nice rifle.

Aron-

A Bartlein .260,
Manners SL,
and a Seekins DBM makes a nice rifle.

Spend some of that green like their is going to be no tomorrow and you will never have it again. Send it off to 1 of the great gun builders here and let them work their magic. Do it - Do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL 3000 rounds is only about half the barrel life you should be able to get out of a factory barreled 308, I would keep shooting it until 5k then go from there. On the change consider something like the 260AI or just go with 308 again. </div></div>

Point is that it will never get to 5K. I haven't fired it in over a year and a half and have no reason to. Not with my 5R.

A good loaner rifle for friends that come from out of town to hunt is not a bad idea. Where are you and when does Mule season start?
cool.gif

Really, would not get rid of it. Never hurts to have one around just in case you decide on another build project. Or Xmas for kid or grand kid. Gotta get them into hunting. Wish I had one aside for my son that is 13 months old right now. How much will a good rifle cost when he turns 14 or 15?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could sell the PSS stock to me... </div></div>

The stock it sits in now is a take off from a 5R, and if you want it, PM me.

I ordered an AAC barrel over the weekend, but after discovering some bartlein 6.5mm barrels in stock over at CS tactical I decided to order one of those.

I talked to big horn arms, they directed me to a guy by the name of Dave Sullivan of West Wind Rifles. Heck of a guy to talk to. I'm going to supply the parts and he is going to do the build. Not sure when it is going to be done but this will be the final product:

Trued action
MCM A5 GAP camo
Surgeon bottom metal (Makes sense because I have AICS mags)
Bartlein 6.5mm #14 barrel, threaded for a can, not sure of bbl length yet. Thinking 24" input on this would be appreciated

Not sure of scope anymore. It's going to be a while before this is done. Tempted to take advantage of the 500 bucks off of the SS 5-20's but also would like to see user input from them. Deal on those ends the 17th though, so it's one or the other.