• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What trigger should I get?

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
Looking for advice on a trigger for my dpms lr 260. I was looking at the timney and Geisel( not sure on spelling) then I read some on the CMC triggers and they are more in my price range. I was wandering if there is a huge difference between the brands some experienced help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Last edited:
I put a Giessele SSA-E in my Colt LE6920 M4. I use it for hunting deer and couldn't stand the stock trigger. Now I am able to put my shots exactly where I want them to go. It is an excellent trigger and I highly recommend it. You might not like the cost, but you won't regret getting one.

I went a Wilson Combar single stage for my recent AR build. I am really liking it so far. Very crisp, clean break.

The Geissele SD-E and SSA-E are two of my favorites. I do not have a DMR or High Speed yet but would like to try those as well.

I've got a 13 year old (but lightly used) Jewell and a new Geiselle. Both feel about the same, and are very good. Maybe a slight nod to the Geiselle if you're a trigger snob. But it's slight once you get them adjusted properly. The Geiselle is put together a little bit better in my opinion. The instructions are very good. They have a website and some very good videos on You Tube. They sent me a bunch of swag with my order. The attention to detail that Geiselle puts in his triggers is obvious and welcome.

Jewell on the other hand, has no website, lackluster instructions, and I'm told (I wouldn't know for sure since they don't make the info easily available and I don't care that much) that they use a weaker hammer spring that can cause problems with the hard primers that are often used in AR's (and contributes to a slower lock time). I've also read that this hammer spring causes problems on the .308 platform rifles, but that Jewell has fixed that. You'd have to dig up a phone number and call them to verify this.

The one advantage I can think of that the Jewell has over the Geiselle is that you can adjust the first stage weight without taking the trigger out and bending a spring. Maybe it's psychological, but I don't have the same feeling of trust looking at the Jewell. A little slop here and there, although I can't feel it in the trigger, makes me nervous about the durability. That said, for a match rifle, it's miles ahead of the stock triggers. For a field rifle, I'm not sure I'd use a Jewell if I had a choice.

All in all, my next trigger will be a Geiselle. It's a really impressive unit, and it's available in just about any configuration you can think up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is still true, but a few years ago Gieselle had won the lock-time battle pretty handily. IIRC, they were roughly half that of the nearest competitor. If that's still true, it in itself would be enough to sway me. I have a number of Gieselles, and I'm a big fan of the feel as well. I'm partial to the Super Dynamic Enhanced for its straight trigger shoe.

Giessele is the be all end all in AR triggers as far as im concerned. have several and love them.

You can't go wrong with Geissele. They are simply THE BEST in terms of two-stage triggers for the AR platform, especially for a precision AR if equipped with one of the non-adjustables like the SSA-E or SD-E or the adjustable HS Nat'l Match (DMR, etc.). Buy once...cry once!

The Timney that you are also considering...with all due respect to Timney...isn't even comparable. First and foremost...the Timney is a single-stage trigger. Nothing wrong with single-stage triggers in the AR, but comparing to a Geissele is like comparing a water buffalo to a grapefruit. Second, the quality of design and mfg of the Geissele triggers, combined with the features they afford you in whatever config you select, further combined with the outstanding service before and after the sale, put it in a class well outside the reach of the Timney AR products.

The CMC trigger is damn impressive. I want to spend a little more time behind one, but I think it may be replacing my SSA-E. It feels pretty close to a single stage bolt gun trigger, the 3.5lbs model feels smoother than my time set to 2lbs, and the apparent pull weight is lighter but more controlled.

Geiselle is the way to go. I have a Jewel and several of the Giessele. (Not sure how to spell). They have a non adjustable that runs around 160. The least expensive they have. I just put one in my bosses AR10. He loves it. I have been using their triggers for over 10 years and will never buy another brand of trigger.

If you want a good single stage, check out the ALG Combat trigger. It is named after Geiselle's wife Amy, I believe. I put one in my S&W AR and it works great. About $65 from Rainier Arms.

For precision shooting I would go for a Geissele HS Natl Match since the sear and 2nd stage are fully adjustable, which makes for an extremely crisp and light break. For a gun that is more of an all around general use weapon, I'd go for the ssa-e since it is non adjustable and probably a little more durable.

I've got HS NM triggers on my match rifles and a ssa-e on a basic colt 6920. It's difficult for me to go back to even a RRA NM trigger now as I'm completely spoiled ha!