• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What wait is your trigger at?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I finally signed up for my first precision course and I might be doing a couple upgrades to make sure my rifles are ready for anything. First rifle is sporting a 40x trigger set at 1.5lbs and I am very pleased with it. Beautiful trigger for an out of the box trigger. Second is an x-mark pro and I need to switch it. Even tuned there's still a little creep and it's heavier then my 40x by a lot. I might grab a timney and curious what weights you boys like your triggers set at?

I had mine set for 9oz for a while and then realized you really can go too light. Mine are set at a pound now. My new customs I might have them set at 1.5#.

At 2 i can bench shoot or hunt with it and feel comfortable, love the lighter pulls but don't trust them out in the field.

My trigger doesn't wait for anything. It breaks at 18 oz though. Now on my 40x its 4oz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have a Jewell set at 1.75 lbs., and one set at 3.75 lbs. The ladder will be replaces soon with a Jewell and set the same. All my AR's are in the 4 lb range. J

My 6 Creed is at 11oz, my 308 is about 8oz, my other 6 Creed is about 6oz, my 700VS 223 is about 8-9oz.

2.5#ish, except for target rifles which are a lot lighter. For me the really light triggers don't work well under field conditions, especially when my fingers are cold.

I think everything I own is at least 3.5lbs. Any lighter than that, and I don't trust it when shooting with gloves or frozen/numb hands.

What wait is your trigger at?

Mine is at the three month mark, but they say it will probably ship after SHOT.

Set weight is not that important: it must be safe, and crisp. The rest is familiarity by dry firing. Light trigger weight can be more forgiving of bad habits and poor follow through, but can lead to NDs.

Last edited:
1.5# here. I like Timney's with the wider trigger "shoe". 1.5# feels more like 10 oz or so but is still more than safe if you just keep your finger off the trigger when not planning on shooting. Timney safety's actually work to, unlike flubbered up Remington's after a "Trigger Job".

Mine doesn't wait after i take up the weight..

My Mosin Nagant waits a few seconds.

Mine is at the three month mark, but they say it will probably ship after SHOT.

Set weight is not that important: it must be safe, and crisp. The rest is familiarity by dry firing. Light trigger weight can be more forgiving of bad habits and poor follow through, but can lead to NDs.

Growing up, There was a sign at the local landfill (favorite shooting range) that stated: "No Hazardous Materials, violators will be FIND". Twas a great joke about the intelligence of that town.

My Timney was about 10-days plus install; and is set about the 2.5# area.

-888-.

Last edited:
All my precision rifles are set to a crisp, clean 2.5-3lbs.

I've seen far too many NDs in tactical comps by people running target weight triggers under 2lbs.

I've seen far too many NDs in tactical comps by people running target weight triggers under 2lbs.

I have to agree with Graham. Even guys at the range that are not ready, trigger is to light and they accidentally set one off. I run 2.5lbs on my Timneys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both my long range coyote rifles are set at 8 oz. Most of my shots are over bait and from the prone position.

Paul

I usually wait about thirty seconds before dropping the hammer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I set my Timney to 2.5#'s and like the pull / crisp release. Will try it out in a week long class starting Monday.

For my purposes I dont need anything heavier. I have adjusted to the lighter triggers and seem to shoot more consistantly with them. Im not moving / running around, or handling the rifle, with a round in the chamber (or even the magazine). I will say that they're not for everyone, as different shooting diciplines require different setups.

Just for future reference to the OP
1. Click on "Edit Post"
2. Click on "Advanced"
3. Fix the spelling in your title
4. Click "Post Reply"

These guys can be brutal

Run mine at 2lbs. I feel like anything less is kind of sketchy especially shooting a L/A magnum in comps.

Surgeon Scalpel .300 win mag Jewel trigger set @ 2 lbs. M40A1 correct trigger set @ 2lbs also. I wouldn't go any lower on a working gun.

Just my opinion.....Tickle

My 700 benchrest setup has a 1.5 oz trigger. You look at it and it goes off. It's not at all ok for anything but bench duty and your hand doesn't touch the rifle unless your'e behind the scope and on target. Honestly, this is probably overkill unless you're talking free recoil. I have let round go sooner than I wanted to with this trigger. Not negligent discharges, but while on target - just timed poorly because it's so sensitive. I would not even think about cocking this rifle until it was on target. It has no safety, because it would be insane to use the rifle in a situation in which a safety would be necessary.

My Barnard F class rig is set at about 8 oz. It's fine. For F class. I have no fear of setting it off accidentally in that setting. It's perfect for a long range target rifle.

My high power service rifle is set at 4.5 pounds per the NRA rules. It's a bit heavy for accuracy.

My field rifles are set in the 2-2.5 pound range. It's light enough to not add too much strain to the pull, and heavy enough to be safe.

I find that above 3 pounds it takes more work to exercise good trigger control. It can be done, but it requires more mental effort. Below 10-12 ounces, and the trigger pull becomes more like a thought than a physical action, which is what I want in a target gun.