• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft what weapons did the SEALs us on the pirates?

Hardin284

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Georgia
50 cals? .308s? M4s?

I'm betting they had thermal imaging (FLIR)scopes on whatever they used

Re: what weapons did the Seals us on the pirates?

Probably Mk13's, but I could be wrong.

Chad

guns...definatly guns, and probably m-4, but at that range they coulda used a m-9 and been ok

According to CNN it was a 25yd shot from the aft deck as they towed the lifeboat "to calmer waters"

So... who the fuck cares what weapons they used? You planning on trying to recreate next time you take your bass boat out on the lake?

Dragunov, because it was a black op.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to CNN it was a 25yd shot from the aft deck as they towed the lifeboat "to calmer waters"

So... who the fuck cares what weapons they used? You planning on trying to recreate next time you take your bass boat out on the lake?

</div></div>

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind

Today's Washington Post:

The SEALS were using SR25's

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/13/AR2009041302583.html

ESSAY
A Sniper's Precision View to A Kill
An evolution in weapons technology and optical hardware has further extended the sniper's accuracy and range, well beyond a mile in some cases.
An evolution in weapons technology and optical hardware has further extended the sniper's accuracy and range, well beyond a mile in some cases. (Oleg Popov - Reuters)

» Links to this article
By Stephen Hunter
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, April 14, 2009; Page C01

The three quick shots off the fantail of the USS Bainbridge that terminated the piracy incident in the Indian Ocean early Sunday night made a number of points for various pointy-headed political pundits to chew on, cudlike, for a few weeks. But one they'll probably miss is the following: The three shots make clear to a wider public what has been clear to people who pay attention to such things -- we are in the golden age of the sniper.

He has become a kind of chivalric hero. He is the state, speaking in thunder, restoring order to the moral universe. Or he is civilization, informing the barbarians of the fecklessness of their plight. He is the line in the sand, the point of the spear, the man with the rifle, one of the few, the proud. He is also the intellectual of combat, in some ways, bringing a cool logic to what is normally hot, messy and exhausting.

We vest in him the right to kill in our name and it seems, at least to some extent, we no longer hold it against him that he does so from a long way out, usually in darkness and silence. Instead, we wish him godspeed. He's no longer Lee Harvey Oswald. He's Carlos Hatchcock, the legendary Marine Corps sniper, or Chuck Mawhinney, who holds the Marine Corps sniper kill record in Vietnam, or the two posthumous Battle of Mogadishu Medal of Honor recipients, the Delta snipers Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon. And now, he is the Navy SEALs who shot the Somali pirates and saved Capt. Richard Phillips.
ad_icon

Technology and necessity have combined to make the sniper the go-to guy in military operations, even given him a kind of glamour.

The business of felling a bad guy with one shot has never been more refined. Briefly -- this isn't Guns & Ammo, after all -- new optical hardware and ballistic innovations have made the sniper more effective than he's ever been. Since Vietnam, the military sniper weapon has been a bolt-action .30-caliber Remington rifle, effective to a thousand yards. In the past two decades, however, heavier-caliber weapons have been deployed to greatly further the shooter's range.

Now, using .50-caliber weapons, snipers regularly hit beyond a mile, and there's a whole new lineup of weapons between .30 and .50 calibers -- the .338 Lapua, the .416 Barrett, the .408 CheyTac -- that commandeer the range between 1,000 and 2,000 yards. On top of that, laser range-finding and chip-driven portable software enable the shooter to solve heretofore impenetrable ballistic equations, and index their sights precisely for that one-shot kill way, way out there.

Sunday's mission demanded the utmost in skill and concentration, this after an arduous trek inward (by parachute and small boat to the Bainbridge at near dark on Saturday). Details will emerge, but I'm guessing the three SEALs were each equipped with a rifle called the SR-25, said to be the choice of SEAL snipers. It's a semiautomatic, for fast follow-up shots, and looks like an M-16 on growth hormones.

It almost certainly wears a tube at the muzzle, what you would call a silencer, what the community calls a suppressor. The point, for this kind of shooting, is that it's unlikely the three shooters would try to fire simultaneously; they probably shot over a few seconds, and the unthwarted report of the first rifle might have caused Targets 2 and 3 to withdraw. As it transpired, no pirate likely figured out what happened to his colleagues in the seconds before it happened to him.

Perhaps the pirates didn't realize the SEALs would be equipped with the refined technology of night vision. They thought they were safe, crouching behind the cabin of their life boat, peering over it at the big dark bulk of the Bainbridge 50 feet or so ahead. Actually, they were quite obvious to the shooters eyeing them through a somewhat awkward device, like a telescopic lens, but bloated, more complex, more powerful, built around the ability to intensify the ambient light. To the snipers, the pirates were as green as the witch in "The Wizard of Oz," and their eyes glowed. Meanwhile, some kind of index point -- cross hairs, a chevron, a simple glowing dot -- marked the bullet's point of impact, having been adjusted to the proper range in advance.

One thing that suggests the Navy may have had this ending in mind all along was the command decision to tow the lifeboat to calmer waters. Even at a relatively short range, shooting for blood from one vessel to another in high, rough seas would be a challenge difficult to meet, much less three times, more or less simultaneously.

So what is going on in the sniper's mind as he waits -- I'm guessing he's prone, the most stable shooting position -- in the dark, on the overhang at the extreme rear of the ship? He's crucially aware of his breathing rhythm, because he wants to fire between breaths. He probably doesn't think much about trigger pull. He wouldn't be here if he didn't know how to pull a tri gger. He's not "pulling" it in the sense of exerting his muscle against it, so much as urging it to cooperate it, massaging it into doing his bidding. If he hurries, if his finger is misplaced on its curve or catches on the trigger guard beneath it, it can all go wrong.

It can go wrong, too, if he neglects the follow-through, because like all athletic endeavors, shooting or pitching or throwing or tossing a crumple of paper into a wastebasket, the issue is the wholeness of motion, even long after the missile is dispatched.

Oh, and he has to do all that on instant notice with someone's life on the line, and if he misses, the burden of shame will be crushing.

What does he feel? The joke, much told, is that when asked what he felt when he took a man's life, the sniper answered, "Recoil." I suspect that's nonsense. But I also suspect these men are pure alphas, with unnatural levels of aggression and strength, which is magnified by their willingness to drive such larger questions down deeper and hold them far away from the duty mind. What they feel, then, is simple: None of your damn business.

Hunter, a former chief film critic at The Washington Post, is the creator of a series of novels featuring the sniper Bob Lee Swagger. His next book, to be published in October, is "I, Sniper."

Rifles would have most likely been the Mk11 Mod 0 (which is a variant of the SR-25).

Rationale: Distance well within effective range, suppressed, easy to mount PVS-22 (UNS), 7.62 more energy than 5.56 round of Mk12, Semi-auto for ability to have quick follow up shot. Doubtful use of Mk13 (300WM) due to taking longer for follow up shot.

3 shooters, one for each bad guy, nearly simultaneous shots as soon as permission to engage given, minor time delay only due to motion of lifeboat in water and shooter being sure of shot.

25 yard dope same as 100 yard dope.

If less than 3 shooters, 1st target bad guy with gun pointed at Cpt. Phillips.

Just my informed Scientific Wild Assed Guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardin284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50 cals? .308s? M4s?

I'm betting they had thermal imaging (FLIR)scopes on whatever they used </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm dying to know too!

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inquiring minds want to know. I searched, but came up a goose egg.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably Mk13's, but I could be wrong.

Chad </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to the news; Stoners! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M14 with scopes most likely.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: general_purpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today's Washington Post:

The SEALS were using SR25's

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifles would have most likely been the Mk11 Mod 0 (which is a variant of the SR-25).

</div></div>

OH MY FUCKING GOOD!

You people are wose then fucking CNN "Terrorism Experts"

HO-LEE-SHEE-AT!

Tell me which one of you fuck tards is the following

1. NAVSOF
2. USASOC
3. SOCOM

Or for that fucking matter even hold a fucking Sniper MOS twith operational experiance (outside of what ever retard "Adventure" school you paid for)

Fuck!

ewoaf, ratbert, 500grains, 999yardsm, arcticlight and jasonstewart I do not include in this group.

The rest of you have REALLY shown your ass clown potential.

Fucking poser mother fuckers! I bet if they CONFIRMED that they used MK12 MOD1's you'd be rushing out to get one.

Stupid fuckheads.... You'll run over a kid to get SIMRAD caps so you can "pose" but you can't run a PFT

stupid thread.

I swore I would see more comments like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guns...definatly guns </div></div>

but oooooh hell the fuck no, you fucking posers are all of a sudden "Experts"

Ass Clowns

It's kinda funny but sad though... kinda like a retarded kid with a jigsaw puzzle, elmers glue, a hammer and an xacto. You know he's gonna hurt himself but you just can't help but watch 'cause he'll have that stupid self assured grin on his face the WHOLE time

And P fucking S, Stephen Hunter is a fag who sips spritzers with Maj John Plaster and the rest of the "Adventure School" cadre

I'm pretty sure with the choppy waters and the captain being so close it was a suppressed 10/22... probly a TacOps green hornet or something of the like. although i have my sources saying the first skinny to get plugged was by a red ryder

WOW! People want to know what type ofgun was used in a high profile case and we get some ass wipes coming on here rediculing them. Forgive the hell out of us for being curious, I didn't know we had to actual real life snipers to post on here. If we did there would probably only be 2 or 3 guys posting here.

In other words - GROW THE FUCK UP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! People want to know what type ofgun was used in a high profile case and we get some ass wipes coming on here rediculing them. Forgive the hell out of us for being curious, I didn't know we had to actual real life snipers to post on here. If we did there would probably only be 2 or 3 guys posting here.

In other words - GROW THE FUCK UP! </div></div>

You're right You poser little fuck. I am gonna ridicule them. Not for wondering but for speculating from the vista of knowledge and experiance. Like this fucktard:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifles would have most likely been the Mk11 Mod 0 (which is a variant of the SR-25).

Rationale: Distance well within effective range, suppressed, easy to mount PVS-22 (UNS), 7.62 more energy than 5.56 round of Mk12, Semi-auto for ability to have quick follow up shot. Doubtful use of Mk13 (300WM) due to taking longer for follow up shot.

3 shooters, one for each bad guy, nearly simultaneous shots as soon as permission to engage given, minor time delay only due to motion of lifeboat in water and shooter being sure of shot.

25 yard dope same as 100 yard dope.

If less than 3 shooters, 1st target bad guy with gun pointed at Cpt. Phillips.

Just my informed Scientific Wild Assed Guess. </div></div>

I'm not gonna even take time to pick his shit apart, cause to the actual trigger puller it will be aparent. And you know what... No you don't have to be a sniper to post on here.... thats why there are airsoft ads now. for fuck heads like you. BUt don't worry little Jimmy, for 10 bucks a month you can the online training here and earn your degree online and in the comfort of your own home.

And if you and your fellow fucktards don't like being ridiculed, stop throwing target indicators up and I won't do it. Know your lowly pathetic fucking roll and don't make statements as if they were fact outside of your scope of practice. And that scope does not include what you have done on Call to Duty, On Line Sniper Training or ANY FUCKING ADVENTURE SCHOOL YOU PAID FOR.

No go cry to momma 'cause "dat mean, mean, mean rogue7a ridculed you"

You're suckh a fag... look at the power you give me to get you ramped up and ruin your day. Fucking losers. I may curse a lot on this but I am laughing my ass of at you fag ass fucking low life posers

(If none of the above comments applied to others reading this then don't bitch, if they do.. own it and ask yourself.... "Do I REALLY have the knowledge to post this?" if your answer is "No" then don't and I won't slam you, and you won't run to your mommy and the mods crying"

I"m no poser because I never tried to claim I am a sniper or anything else.

If you are in the military you truelly are an embarassment to whatever unit you are in. I respect yout service but that doesn't mean that it gives you free range to be a jerk and an idiot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
400px-S-Rifle.jpg

-pd </div></div>

+1

I thought about that too...LOL

R7A,

Ironically member lrs50bmg has spent more time with Naval Special Warfare guys than most on this site lol, yet you had urge to throw turds huh???

To all you people complaining why people are curious let me put it this way.

If you go to the drag strip and you see a car run a 10.5 you naturally WANT to know WTF is under the hood of that car.

This is a shooting site and 3 incredible shots were made and people are merely curious what the equipment was.

Yet the rant above probably took 20 minutes to post - WTF - why does it bother you that people are curious to know what tools were used???

To me it's about the accuracy and ability - hell it coulda been a 22LR 10/22 - but if so I'd be in absolute AWE..

So why does it bother you so much that someone is curious?

Next time I see you asking what's under the hood should I start a rant up like youris or just say "Why the fuck do you want to know - it runs leave it at that!".

That's pretty childish....

I'll admit I'm curious because I know these guys are the best - they would not have been there had they NOT been the best so that's already established.

Now I'm curious what the BEST uses for accuracy purposes, nothing more. I don't need to know the blood and guts part, and I'm sure MOST of us are in awe.

Back when Evil Kneival was jumping motorcycles we, as kids of course, used to jump our bikes.

I think America needs hero's, and unfortunately due to the nature of hteir work most of it is hush hush but we'd LIKE to able to shoot as well as these guys.

I'm not gonna run out and buy an SR-25 but I'd sure love to see these guys on the range shooting their wares....

Relax a bit...

sheesh... :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleverName</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They actually used a Chuck Norris launcher. I have it on good word from a friend who's a WALRUS (like a SEAL but more elite!!!!1!eleven) </div></div>
F'n Walrus!
laugh.gif

ROGUE7A said:
"Do I REALLY have the knowledge to post this?"
ROGUE7A said:
Yes.

15 years spent assisting NSW Sniper School at Camp Atterbury, IN.

Why the F**K do you care, when you have NO idea what I do or don't know. Go ahead and pick it apart. How much time have you spent with NSW snipers and instructor cadre?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ROGUE7A said:
"Do I REALLY have the knowledge to post this?"
ROGUE7A said:
Yes.

15 years spent assisting NSW Sniper School at Camp Atterbury, IN.

Why the F**K do you care, when you have NO idea what I do or don't know. Go ahead and pick it apart. How much time have you spent with NSW snipers and instructor cadre?

</div></div>

Lrs im sure R7 didnt have an idea who you are but before you talk down to the man ill let you know hes spent about 15 years as an actual operational sniper and instructor at both infantry and special operations level in 2 seperate militaries. okie dokie?

*yawn*

Why did I ever buy that silly Honda CBR??? I'd hate for some AMA racer trying to think I'm "posing" him...

I am curious about it myself. Just from a knowledge gaining point of view. has nothing to do with any supposed expertise or knowledge I may or may not have. And I am fine with talking to other people who are willing to guess about it.

Anyone with actual knowledge of this event,ie.. weapons/range PM me today.

OW

I beleive their training was 99.9% more important than whatever weapon they used. I dont think it would have mattered if they used m4 with acogs or mk13s with NF's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheArcangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive their training was 99.9% more important than whatever weapon they used. I dont think it would have mattered if they used m4 with acogs or mk13s with NF's.</div></div>

EXACTLY---And I am sick of hearing people sideseat drive and say "I can make 30yd headshots"!!!

I will be starting a thread in next couple days that shows photos and videos of what things look like from vessel in the water in calm seas in Med thru roughest seas in North Sea. HINT HINT--neither are simple to shoot from.

so much for OPSEC.
mad.gif

When the <span style="font-weight: bold">Powers-That-Be</span> decide to announce <span style="font-style: italic">or leak</span> that info, then we (and every single BAD GUY in the world) will get to know what they want us to know.

Frankly, I would really rather not have the entire world knowing their operational materials, methods and techniques.

Not knowing the real info makes the SPECOPS operations more secure and more likely to succeed. Just in case some more Americans get grabbed. [imagine that!]

Frankly, I hope they use this system in the future.

missouri_large.jpg

16in.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheArcangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I beleive their training was 99.9% more important than whatever weapon they used. I dont think it would have mattered if they used m4 with acogs or mk13s with NF's.</div></div>

EXACTLY---And I am sick of hearing people sideseat drive and say "I can make 30yd headshots"!!!

I will be starting a thread in next couple days that shows photos and videos of what things look like from vessel in the water in calm seas in Med thru roughest seas in North Sea. HINT HINT--neither are simple to shoot from. </div></div>

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=...=catwasdead.wav

So... What SEAL unit were you in? and what kind of weapon did you use?

I bet you had a Desert Eagle!

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGUE7A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HO-LEE-SHEE-AT!

Tell me which one of you fuck tards is the following

1. NAVSOF
2. USASOC
3. SOCOM

Or for that fucking matter even hold a fucking Sniper MOS twith operational experiance (outside of what ever retard "Adventure" school you paid for)

Fuck!

ewoaf, ratbert, 500grains, 999yardsm, arcticlight and jasonstewart I do not include in this group.

The rest of you have REALLY shown your ass clown potential.

Fucking poser mother fuckers! I bet if they CONFIRMED that they used MK12 MOD1's you'd be rushing out to get one.

Stupid fuckheads.... You'll run over a kid to get SIMRAD caps so you can "pose" but you can't run a PFT

stupid thread.

I swore I would see more comments like

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guns...definatly guns </div></div>

but oooooh hell the fuck no, you fucking posers are all of a sudden "Experts"

Ass Clowns

It's kinda funny but sad though... kinda like a retarded kid with a jigsaw puzzle, elmers glue, a hammer and an xacto. You know he's gonna hurt himself but you just can't help but watch 'cause he'll have that stupid self assured grin on his face the WHOLE time
</div></div>

Archangel & R7,

I regret if my post came across as talking down to R7 or by inference any other service member current or retired. I usually try to ignore it, but I occasionally get defensive when someone starts shouting and inferring that I am an idiot.
blush.gif

Scott

I have no idea why I can always see some humor in things coming apart. Rogue man, you are only just beginning to see the slowness and ineptitude of HQ at work so if you start feeling tight go write some comments on the wall in the loft. LOL. Don't go spittin' at the fans. Google John Rocker. LMAO.

RA7
you need to go take a dump ! ! !
I can tell by your posts that you havent crapted
in at least two weeks because of your attitude,
also appears that you are having your period too
take a midol ! !
you havent been here long enough to flame anybody so
say something positive or STFU .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Archangel & R7,

I regret if my post came across as talking down to R7 or by inference any other service member current or retired. I usually try to ignore it, but I occasionally get defensive when someone starts shouting and inferring that I am an idiot.
blush.gif

Scott

</div></div>

Look Brother,
I'm kinda like a shotgun in this realm. I go off loud and I am not really concerned with "Collateral Damge" (which we'll call feeling. Maybe "Idiot" (Did I say that?) was a little harsh... just a bit. But you know when all these quaterbacks start talking about "tactics" and how it was done it gets really fucking annoying. I guess if I wanted to rest on my laurels and open some BS school where I could be surrounded by a bunch of pasty dorks who would grovel at my feet and take everything I said as gospel. But I choose not to be in such company and I need no hero worship.

Rogue7A,

Do you work for GySgt Storment? If so PM me.

OW

you're right Rogue, you don't deserve any worship. you have NO idea what we do nor what we been through. If you got your props, then take them, but for damn sure do not be-little your fellow american that you know absoulutely NOTHING about. this is twice in such as long that i see you as a Newbie, have nothing positive to post. Done....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGUE7A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...and I need no hero worship. </div></div>

No foolin; you sound like your own biggest fan.

Raaaarrrrr! Im a HOG! I Got a HOGSTOOTH, Raaaaaarrrrr, watch out PIGS!!! Raaaarrrrrrrr! Bang, bang, type, type, Raaaaaarrrrrr! Where's my hooded sweatshirt, RRRRAAAAAARRR!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hu-mil-i-ty</span>
-noun
The quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Synonyms</span>: Lowliness, meekness, submissiveness

<span style="font-weight: bold">Antonyms</span>: Pride

To all who have questions, I applaud you. Sniper's hide is the place to ask.

Semper Fidelis!

Having seen one of those style lifeboats up close I coulden't help but to try to figure out what the snipers were looking at , the media said that they saw a man pointing a gun at the captains back and thats what is said to have justified the shooting but the boat i saw would have made it nearly impossible for anbody not standing on the boat peering through the window to see what was going on inside of it.

I'm picturing 3 snipers prone on the deck and sombody behind them blinking a flashlight at the boat to get their attention to look through the windows then take their shot.

Who cares what they used apparently it was all that was needed.

What I would like to know is whay some folks feel the need to get all freeked out and start ranting and raving with crazy foul language , reminds me of a 13yr old kid (with turets syndrome) trying to talk like hes tough to impress some older kids.
I don't care who you are , what you do or have done theirs no reason for a man to act like that
UNLESS
InternetToughGuy.jpg