• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what would/do you shoot for National Match ?

bbaley

bbaley
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2013
Oak Grove, Oregon
Hi,
If you shoot (NRA) National Match high power rifle,
what do YOU shoot ?
M1A ?
M14?
something fancy ?
other ?

Just trying to get an idea of what is most common choice, if such a thing exists

As far as service rifles, the AR is the most popular by far. For match rifles again probably ARs with longer barrels, match sights and adjustable stocks.

I have shot M1A, M14, AR-10 match, AR-15 service and AR-15 match rifle. My personal best scores were fired at 200 and 300 yards with the AR -15 service rifle. My best 600 yard scores were fired with the M14 and M1A. I about to go back to across the course fire. I have selected the AR-15 service rifle to do this. I 'm 56 fat and blind. But the AR is the best at three of the four courses of fire for me. Good luck!

There are two categories, service rifle and match rifle. I'll skip match rifles, because there's literally too many variables to talk about.

Anyway, the service rifle is the most common platform I see in Texas, and the most common and easy to shoot (good scores with) is the AR-15. Everyone uses the same basic gun, because, well, you have to by the rules. 20" barrel, iron sights, 4.5lb trigger pull, etc. The most common and probably best setup you will see is: 20" dcm contour barrel (1:7-1:8), .036-.046 rear hooded aperture, .052-.072 front post, geissele national match service rifle trigger, free float A2 hand guard, and a 2" leather sling.

The 308 is a BEAST to shoot 88 rounds with, and while it may have some advantage at 600 yards, there are more disadvantages overall. Stick with the AR15...

Your best bet is to call up John Scandale at Keystone accuracy, Lee Wells at Accurate & Reliable, or Robert Whitley at AR-X (6mmar.com). They are all high master shooters, great gunsmiths, and will answer any questions you might have. They also build some sweet match rifles on the AR platform, so if you decide to go that route they can take of you as well.

Will try out as soon as I get my JAE-100 stock for my Super Match. Hopefully it will fit as the cut off time was about 1996 for having a ledge on the receiver ( and unable to fit the JAE-100) that the newer rifles do not have.
I may have to sell this rifle and get a newer Super Match but Springfield is no longer offering the Hartt barrel.

Will try out as soon as I get my JAE-100 stock for my Super Match. Hopefully it will fit as the cut off time was about 1996 for having a ledge on the receiver ( and unable to fit the JAE-100) that the newer rifles do not have.
I may have to sell this rifle and get a newer Super Match but Springfield is no longer offering the Hartt barrel.

Folks undoubtedly like the commercial equivalent of the M14 such as the one marketed by Springfield Armory which is known as the M1A National Match; but, they're not buying this rifle to actually use it in Service Rifle competition. This rifle has been eclipsed by match conditioned commercial equivalents of the M16A2, since this rifle is more economical, more accurate, has less recoil, and requires less maintenance.

OP,

I started out with the M14 but realized the AR was likely to help me see better results. I also enjoy using the little gun in NRA LR competitions.

Last edited:
AR. I shot Across Corse with a M1A for six years and picked up an AR and shot better instantly.

If your interested I have a new AR I am thinking of selling I built to get back into it but between broken back and shoulder surgeries it has just sat and not been shot.

Bushmaster DCM upper
Anderson Cero lower with Jewell trigger.

Need 900.00 shipped

AR-15. That's what most people seriously pursuing the leg points for Distinguished Rifleman shoot...

Main advantages are; cheap to acquire, low recoil, accurate, and cheap to load for.

If you are serious about service rifle , a decent flatop Ar and an appropriate 4x optic should be high on your list- be forwarned if you roll with the JAE stock you aren't a service rifle shooter anymore you are a match rifle guy competing with the various tubb and tube rifles,old school bolt guns, and ar based space guns with a harder to maintain, harder kicking rifle that will not be as accurate under most circumstances

Your best bet is to call up John Scandale at Keystone accuracy, Lee Wells at Accurate & Reliable, or Robert Whitley at AR-X (6mmar.com). They are all high master shooters, great gunsmiths, and will answer any questions you might have. They also build some sweet match rifles on the AR platform, so if you decide to go that route they can take of you as well.

+1
John (Keystone Accuracy) is local to me and has spun me up some very accurate barrels! John has blanks he prefers but will spin up anything you want with any blank you want. When dealing with White Oak, remember there is White Oak Armament and White Oak Precision.. Both are very accurate barrels but White Oak Armament uses Wilson blanks, White Oak Precision uses Kreiger blanks..Same company. All of my WOA Wilson barrels have shot lights out.

Ar15. Compass Lake, White Oak, Keystone are all good to go. I went distinguished with an iron gun but now there's new rules so going with the optic gun.

Attachments

• photo71335.jpg
    photo71335.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 29
I have shot Garand, and M1A. Right about the time I would have made the logical and correct switch to an AR, my health went sideways and my ability to perform positional shooting went hasta la bye-bye.

Give Fulton Armory a good look. I'm pretty sure they can fix you up.

Sights rules are changing; give serious thought to implementing those changes to your advantage.

Greg