• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what would you get for first high end scope...

I believe the SH is a snipershide edition that had certain specs that were requested. I have a new IOR 3-18x42 ffp with mp8 extreme reticle on my SR-25EC purchased from Liberty Optics. I love it so.far, I plan to really put it through its paces and see if it holds up with hard use. I was in the same position as the OP and decided to give the IOR a shot because it had all the features I wanted in my price point. Only time will tell if mine will be as durable and reliable as I want it too.

I believe the SH is a snipershide edition that had certain specs that were requested. I have a new IOR 3-18x42 ffp with mp8 extreme reticle on my SR-25EC purchased from Liberty Optics. I love it so.far, I plan to really put it through its paces and see if it holds up with hard use. I was in the same position as the OP and decided to give the IOR a shot because it had all the features I wanted in my price point. Only time will tell if mine will be as durable and reliable as I want it too..

Interesting, I wonder what the reticle looked like? I like the MP-8. Of the three I've ever used. I think the Leupold I had used a Duplex reticle, the Nikon had a Mil-dot, Now I have the MP-8. Is the Extreme reticle on all new IOR's or can you still get the old M-8?

I had one of the original SFP 3-18's back in 2005 and it was a good little scope, glass was excellent. I did not abuse it at all however, so I can't really comment on that. If you can get the discounted Leupold price I think it's a no brainer though. Another consideration, again if you have the cradentals, is the Bushnell DMR on Promotive right now along with the Steiner 4-16.

I think the OP has gotten quite a few responses to think about besides the fact that this seems to have turned into a bash IOR thread.
Personally, I think the offerings from Leupold are overpriced.
For less than MK6 money, you can get into a March 3-24.

There are several Bushnells in your price bracket that you should consider.

I like my IOR (3-18x42), I like the reticle for tactical and hunting work, not so much for bench rest tiny group shooting.
IOR improved their product, I have been running a gen 4 for a considerable amount of time (about 3 years) and it has never given me a problem.
That does not discount Frank's experience, he has seen many fail at the school and during comps. However, those were not gen 4 scopes. They were earlier models and they DID have a record of problems. That is NO LONGER the case. It is quite amusing, if one company puts out a product that requires fixes, which they address, it is because they are a stand up company. Yet if another company does the same thing, they are treated quite differently.

OP,
Also, consider the Steiner, the SWFA 5-25 and Nightforce.

They make scopes that are within your budget and they all would work quite well

for my first high end, higher mag scope I picked up a Leupold Mk6. I like how compact the scope is as I didnt want a hubble sized scope on my AR, plus it is pretty light weight. There is so many great options out there sometimes it is hard to choose.

Even though it is a little over your stated budget, I would consider the Nightforce F1. I have the IOR 3.5-15x50 as well as Nightforce. Both are great scopes but I prefer the turrets on the Nightforce. I would also give the Nightforce glass a slight edge in low light capabilities. The only thing I do not like about Nightforce is the illumination adjustment being under the battery cap. This isn't nearly as big a deal as thought as one setting seems to work fine in most lighting situations.

I've only owned two high-end scopes so far; a USO SN3 and the Steiner 4-16x50. They are both superb instruments and do exactly what I expect. The USO easily gets me to 600yds on the AR. And the Steiner is going to be tack sharp, out to the furthest distances that my 7mm Rem Mag can offer. Does either or do both scopes leave me wishing for something else? Not really. My priorities were glass on par with durability, followed by features, then size, then weight. In both cases, I'm very happy.

If I had $2k total to spend, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, as long as the warranty travels with the scope.

For purchasing history, I bought the USO off of the Sample List and have been very happy with those folks at SWFA. The Steiner, believe it or not, came from Amazon. And just a tip on Amazon, don't discount their purchasing and markdown power.

Go for a Vortex 5-20, EBR 2 or EBR 3 mil/mil or a Bushnell Elite 3-21. Both are the best value for your money IMO if you're not getting a S&B.

This is in the for sale section as we speak.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 with MLR reticle. MIL/MIL.

I've had her for several years now, but I just don't shoot as much as I'd like. We need to do some stuff to the house, so I'm hoping to find her a new home.

She's been a safe queen and only has a slight mark on her objective bell. This model doesn't have HS turrets or zero stop.

I'm asking $1350 for the optic or $1400 for the optic and TPS rings shipped.

Will consider trades along with at least $1000 cash (got to put something else on the rifle, she can't go naked). Just PM me with details and pics.

sorry I haven't responded to any of the post, I am currently in the academy so I am cut off from the world mon - fri. thank you all for the replies it is greatly appreciated. I am weighing out my options and am leaning towards the ior / vortex

sorry I haven't responded to any of the post, I am currently in the academy so I am cut off from the world mon - fri. thank you all for the replies it is greatly appreciated. I am weighing out my options and am leaning towards the ior / vortex

Great choice, glad you saw through all the BS.

I bought a new Razor from RangerWalker71 here on the hide for a great price. Came with rings and will fit your budget. I bought the 10 mil turrets for the speed (using it in competition for timed events) and like it a lot.

All the scopes you looking at are great options. The Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell, and Leupold would be at my top choice.

We stock them all so if we can be of help let me know.

Right now I'm looking a the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 for my .308 T3 Tactical 24" unless someone thinks that would be a bad combination lol? Noob here.