• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What're you lifting right now?

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Alrighty.

Mate of mine did this on a FB group we had for our mates who hit the gym together, thought i might bring it over here since im getting back on the forum and shooting, and on top of my fitness.
It's like a motivation/brag thread. Post your current PB's, and when you want to best them by- and by how much.

If you post a new best, how much did you beat it by. Can be anything- time spent on the treadmill.

My currents as of August 14, 2014.

Remoah, 14-AUG-14
23YO, Male, Caucasian, Been super lazy and overweight most of my life.
Current weight, 113kg(250lb)- was 124kg (272lb) in May
Current Height, 182cm (6ft)
Would like to get down to 105kg(230lb) by the end of september at the latest

Dumbbell Press: 30kg(66lb) per-arm, 6 Reps.
Would like to be able to push the 32.5kg(71lb) ones by september.

Leg Press: 253kg(557lb), 8 Reps.
Pretty happy, would like to maybe hit 275kg(605lb) by mid september.

Bar Curls: 30kg(66lb) bar, 6 Reps.
Bicep strength is my worst, maybe try and be up to 32-5(71lb)kg by early september?

Cario- Terrible.
Can keep a constant run speed of about 8kph(5mph) for maybe 15 minutes at a 2% incline, before i have to walk for 5 and then do another 10 mins or so.
Would really like to be able to get to doing the full 30 minutes at 8kph or so by end of september.
HR sits at about 150-160 throughout. my Max is 195.

If you're trying to lose weight then it's all about calories in/calories out. If you're pushing 250 pounds and you're not used to running, I'd ride a bike like crazy or swim until the weight came down to prevent injury.
Forget bicep curls by the way. Squats and Deadlifts and military press (standing). You want major muscle groups activating. Curls for the girls can wait until more weight comes off.

Weight of the weights isn't really as significant as is the length of time of your reps and contraction, proper form, diet, and keeping your schedule as part of your lifestyle.

Try counting to 5 on the way down of each rep, hold for 3 and push hard back to the start position on each rep while trying for 12-15 reps x 3-5 sets per exercise. If your weights are too heavy to complete then back them off. Do core workout in between each set to keep heart rate elevated throughout the entire routine. You'll see results if you're eating properly which means lean protein & vegetables.

Hope this helps.

My usual set of say, dumbell press goes as follows:

Max of 12 reps, if i can make it to 12 i go up a weight bracket, aiming to max out at around 8-10 reps and 3 sets at the highest weight (28kg right now, 30's i can usually only get 6 good reps out of).

I do need to do more core so i might start chucking that in. Thanks man.

When I was 20, I thought I was a certified billy-badass because I went from never benching before in my life (besides some chest machine a few random times) to hitting 315lbs within four months of training hard. I am 5'10" and weighed 171lbs at the time. I made the Powerhouse Club at Courthouse Bay in Camp Lejeune, and still have the t-shirt folded up in my dresser.

When I hit 305lbs for the first time, my slightly older friend congratulated me before reminding me that a dozen kids in every high school could still lift more than that.

I have stayed dedicated to working out for about 10 out of the last 15 years off and on. I can still go heavy if need be...which is never.

I have herniated two discs in my back...twice. One surgery later and I need to get the same area worked on again (never will, that surgery was a nightmare). I also have arthritis, degenerative disc disease (very common among athletes), and my last MRI showed spina bifida occulta in my lower back. I attribute the first three to excess lifting using poor form and trying to lift too much when I was younger. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in both knees, likely from overuse from running and excessive lifting again with poor form. I can't avoid running because of my job, so I have about three more years of abuse still to come on the knees. I haven't had my shoulders checked yet, but they are feeling pretty shot as well.

I wish I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, and train myself from when I was 19-24. I absolutely feel like improper lifting, focusing on how much I could lift has had a detrimental effect on my body.

I have seen more personal results lately from lifting lighter weights, concentrating on form, and burning the muscle to failure on each set. It sucks, it hurts (burns), but it also helps to burn fat. Looking skinny in some areas actually helps to make you look bigger in others. I look far "bigger" at 182lbs (now) with a 30" waist than I did at 194lbs (my biggest) with a 33" waist.

I guess I am trying to advocate to you to worry more about form and function rather than weight. I've also never seen a fight won because somebody is an absolute animal on dumbell presses. Hope that some of this might help, and please be safe for your own sake.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Diet is absolutely huge. Stay away from the carbs. Once they digest they'll turn into sugars and then boom, you got fat. The best way to get weight down is cardio. As stated above don't go directly into a 5 mile run, you'll hurt yourself and prevent further training. Instead use a bike, elliptical or swim. If you do cardio for an hour a day and just pound it out you'll drop weight like nothing. Just eat good. After you start seeing those pounds drop you'll notice yourself kind of plateauing if you will and it'll be harder to lose weight. That's when you have to start cutting down on fats and carbs even more and keep uping the intensity and length of your cardio. Keep your heart rate low of you want to burn fat. That's anywhere between a sustained 120 to 140 bpms. That way the energy comes from tapping into those fat reserves. After you get down to your weight start throwing in weight lifting. Look at muscle and fitness magazines. They have awesome workouts for each month!

Weight of the weights isn't really as significant as is the length of time of your reps and contraction, proper form, diet, and keeping your schedule as part of your lifestyle.

Amen! I got serious 2 years ago and educated myself on nutrition, proper form, exercise splits, rest, etc. Since then I dropped from 256 to 204 and will probably end up around 195. Most days I can't remember how much was on the bar cuz some days it's heavy and others it's about reps. I just work the muscles fully and focus on the contraction. As stated above though, you have to get the diet under control first. Much more important than PRs.

Always keep in mind that you don't have to lift/push super heavy weight to get big. If you want to be a powerlifter, then yes, but not to just be big & muscular. It's taken me a long time to learn this and I've put my body thru alot of abuse. I'm currently the biggest guy in my gym (muscle wise) at 228lbs and 5'10". Right now im right around 10-11 percent bodyfat. I see guys much smaller than me lifting the same weight as me and sometimes even more weight than me......but they don't look anything like I do, and they won't. Diet is so much more important than people think.

When I was 20, I thought I was a certified billy-badass because I went from never benching before in my life (besides some chest machine a few random times) to hitting 315lbs within four months of training hard. I am 5'10" and weighed 171lbs at the time. I made the Powerhouse Club at Courthouse Bay in Camp Lejeune, and still have the t-shirt folded up in my dresser.

When I hit 305lbs for the first time, my slightly older friend congratulated me before reminding me that a dozen kids in every high school could still lift more than that.

try to find a gym with a revers hyper machine . will probably help your back

I have stayed dedicated to working out for about 10 out of the last 15 years off and on. I can still go heavy if need be...which is never.

I have herniated two discs in my back...twice. One surgery later and I need to get the same area worked on again (never will, that surgery was a nightmare). I also have arthritis, degenerative disc disease (very common among athletes), and my last MRI showed spina bifida occulta in my lower back. I attribute the first three to excess lifting using poor form and trying to lift too much when I was younger. I also have patellofemoral syndrome in both knees, likely from overuse from running and excessive lifting again with poor form. I can't avoid running because of my job, so I have about three more years of abuse still to come on the knees. I haven't had my shoulders checked yet, but they are feeling pretty shot as well.

I wish I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, and train myself from when I was 19-24. I absolutely feel like improper lifting, focusing on how much I could lift has had a detrimental effect on my body.

I have seen more personal results lately from lifting lighter weights, concentrating on form, and burning the muscle to failure on each set. It sucks, it hurts (burns), but it also helps to burn fat. Looking skinny in some areas actually helps to make you look bigger in others. I look far "bigger" at 182lbs (now) with a 30" waist than I did at 194lbs (my biggest) with a 33" waist.

I guess I am trying to advocate to you to worry more about form and function rather than weight. I've also never seen a fight won because somebody is an absolute animal on dumbell presses. Hope that some of this might help, and please be safe for your own sake.

Good luck to you.
try to find a gym with a reverse hyper machine, it could help your back tremendusly

Always keep in mind that you don't have to lift/push super heavy weight to get big. If you want to be a powerlifter, then yes, but not to just be big & muscular. It's taken me a long time to learn this and I've put my body thru alot of abuse. I'm currently the biggest guy in my gym (muscle wise) at 228lbs and 5'10". Right now im right around 10-11 percent bodyfat. I see guys much smaller than me lifting the same weight as me and sometimes even more weight than me......but they don't look anything like I do, and they won't. Diet is so much more important than people think.

Just playing devils advocate. But some people aren't trying to get big. Some people compete in sports with weight classes. Some prefer to be functionally strong instead of being jacked and weak. As one of the smaller guys (height and weight wise 5'4" 145lbs) in my gym im also one of the strongest. I don't envy the guys who are bigger than me. If i lift the same weight or more than them. Secretly im laughing at you for being all show and no go.

Not an attack towards you. Just realize other people may have other goals in mind besides being beach ready. But yea diet is key and is the foundation whether you trying to lose weight, bulk up, or maintain weight while gettin stronger.

Last edited:
Just playing devils advocate. But some people aren't trying to get big. Some people compete in sports with weight classes. Some prefer to be functionally strong instead of being jacked and weak. As one of the smaller guys (height and weight wise 5'4" 145lbs) in my gym im also one of the strongest. I don't envy the guys who are bigger than me. If i lift the same weight or more than them. Secretly im laughing at you for being all show and no go.

Not an attack towards you. Just realize other people may have other goals in mind besides being beach ready. But yea diet is key and is the foundation whether you trying to lose weight, bulk up, or maintain weight while gettin stronger.

Agreed. I believe in being functionally fit. I have a couple friends that are jacked as fuck, but damn it would be funny watching them try to get over an 8 foot wall. Or
just out of a car for that matter. I think they eat small Iraqi's just for protein.

I agree that being functionally fit is very important.

That being said, one can be incredibly fit functionally speaking from traditional weight lifting if proper routine and form are used. I proved this argument against three Platoon Commanders back in 2009 who were Crossfit maniacs on the Combat Fitness Test by beating all three of their times. You get out of exercise what you put into it.

I wish I could participate in more of the functionally fit exercises though. I see their validity. However, my body cannot take the punishment in the knees/back from bouncing around with barbells and kettlebells.

Back on topic: OP, regardless of what you do, best of luck to you and determination is key to improvements in whatever you decide to do.

In case you strained your back lifting up some weight you should follow a few remedies like sitting and sleeping in the right posture,balancing your weight on one of the leg.Also massage your back so that the muscles are relaxed and you are relieved of the pain.Also stand for some time on toes.You should put your back and neck in a straight position as if it is tied with a rope.Sop lifting weights unless you are completely cured.