• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What's a good knife

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I am looking for a good fixed blade knife to put with my survival/BOB. Pack anyone have any suggestions

Joe, I would look into procuring a few Moras. I prefer the Erikson Models. They have great steel, they are very affordable ($10-20), and they are expendable. As a companion to a few of those the EESE knives are great, as are the Ontario Ranger Series. My person favorite would be a 4"-5" (this size blade is far more usable without unnecessary weight) knife like the following:

Rodent 4 - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

Rodent Solution - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

SYKCO 411 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

SYKCO 511 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

Chip

P.S. If I haven't said it to you recently, Thank You for Your Service! I appreciate the freedoms you afford the rest of us Americans, and the Sacrifices you make for us!

P.P.S I appear to have confused you with the other Big Joe. None the less if you served I do thank you.

Last edited:
I
Joe, I would look into procuring a few Moras. I prefer the Erikson Models. They have great steel, they are very affordable ($10-20), and they are expendable. As a companion to a few of those the EESE knives are great, as are the Ontario Ranger Series. My person favorite would be a 4"-5" (this size blade is far more usable without unnecessary weight) knife like the following:

Rodent 4 - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

Rodent Solution - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

SYKCO 411 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

SYKCO 511 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

I know you have great tastes, Joe, and I don't think any of the above will let you down. They all have great steel, a great convex edge, and a great warranty.

Chip

P.S. If I haven't said it to you recently, Thank You for Your Service! I appreciate the freedoms you afford the rest of us Americans, and the Sacrifices you make for us!
I forgot about the swamprat knives.

In a BOB should go no expensive equipment IMHO. It sits around most of the time.
Mora knives are great for the price. Add a good pocket tool and a parang and you have all cutting works covered.

Here are some cheap but very useable examples Parang Bidor

BK2 & Moras are my choices that I've put through some decent bushcrafting. My BK2 has been used very rough at times and it's a tank.

The Ontario Rat series of knives are great for the price. I have a RAT 5 that has served me well though I haven't exactly beaten the shit out of it.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the Kabar knife made out of D2 steel. It is a bit big for some things, but it there are some tasks that a smaller knife just can't be made to do. (Obviously, the same logic applies to big knives)

Reactions: Machinist-Mills
I've got both Mora and Helle knives around and you can't beat them for the money! I've got a pile of blades but 99% of the time I walk out the door with a rifle or shotgun, one of the Helle's is on my belt. Laminated stainless that holds a razor sharp edge through 4 whitetails and well under a hundred bucks..what's not to like?

Reactions: cnwrobb
Benchmade Nimravus
140BT.jpg

Becker Companion you need to put one of these in your hand, then decide-

Last edited:
Go to Smokey Mountain Knife Works, and spend some time going through the selection, they have the biggest selection, and best prices around. One other thing, they actually have what you want IN STOCK, if they say they have it, they have it! They aren't one of the many, re-order houses that don't seem to actually have anything in stock, but will take your order any way! BTW if you are in one of the seven Free states, you can also now purchase Automatic knives! Good luck.

My choice is a DUNN knife. Holds a edge very well, and wont break your bank. Around $100.

During wilderness survival courses ive tried several knives and ESEE has become my favorite. They are a little pricey but well worth it in my opinion. A little over your budget but a Junglas with a piggyback ESEE 3 is my go to. I also agree with not putting a bunch of really expensive stuff in your BOB though if it rarely gets used. I keep a Kabar FIN in mine. It's like a sharpened D2 crowbar. The Mora is a good backup too for general bushcraft.

Cold steel tanto. Cheap. Tough. You really wouldn't want to use it all the time so it fits right at home as a jik.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bark River Bushcraft and Bushcraft II.

They have a "Scandivex" grind and are made of CPM 3V steel - not quite stainless but won't rust very easily at all.

Outstanding edge retention but one cannot sharpen it with Arkansas stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Natchez-Bowie-Knife/dp/B004MN5EXE - NACHEZ bowie - good for under 200,

or you can order a Hells Bells Bowie From master crafter Bill Bagwell - although that will cost you about 10x as much -

then there in the onterio knockoff of the hells bell for about 200

or a Bob Dozier - Keating designed Crosada but once again probably about 1.5k

if you want a knife that will do it all - i like a good ol fashioned bowie -

Fallkniven A1 or Esee 6. I attached a pic of my A1, stout enough to use with baton to split wood and dry shave sharp.

Attachments

• photo61485.jpg
    photo61485.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 122
Don't be lured by the high priced thing. I have three Mora Companions that cost $12 each and they have been golden for 15 years. In some ways better than more expensive blades I own. And because they are cheap they get a lot more use!