• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats new and exciting in the 308 AR handguard arena?

ok if you get a centurion CMR rail, I will tell you now, you wont be fitting a suppressor inside. its only got 1 3/16" I.D. its nice, but I don't really like it. I think ill sell it and get something else. you need a spanner that will accept a torque wrench. im also a little worried that the barrel nut will bottom out on the face of the upper before I get it torqued.

its light and thin though. it does not come with any accessory rails as I mentioned and at the price they charge it should.

Regarding balance on the PRI rail, I noticed a big difference with it and a m110 (1" for most of the barrel) profile 18" barrel over my previous 16" noveske barrel upper with a Rainier rail (about 18oz). Most of the PRI rail's weight is in the nut so it helps keep the balance back towards the magwell. It's a very nice and extremely solid rail. I can't get it to flex, even when putting a lot of my weight on it.

I've got the PRI Delta on my MATEN build. Its very easy to grip, doesn't get very hot, tough and the flat underside gives a stable platform for resting on a bag.

I would like to see a free float tube that can be extended. For example, the base would be a 8" and you could keep adding more tube via 2" increments. This would allow the rifle owner more flexibility and not have to settle for a pre-determined tube length. Thinking the tube extensions could be threaded with an allen bolt for rigidity.

Of course it would have to have the 12 o'clock Pic rail and the rest would be keymod via MKM.

This has been something I've been thinking about lately as well, figure I should treat myself to a nice rifle after I get home from this deployment. I think I have the build down, Mega MKM rifle length rail, Rainier 18" select barrel, AAC or Surefire Muzzle brake, Geissele DMR trigger, gunfighter grip, battle arms ambi safety, UBR stock, USO 1.8-10 T-PAL, and Atlas bipod. Figure I'll buy a reaction rod as well and do the whole build myself.

anyone know where you get accessories for the Centurion CMR? side panels or grips or rails or anything? nothing on the Centurion site at all.

Here is one of my recent builds using the SWS (Superior Weapons Systems) E1 15" handuard.

Attachments

• Red Creek_AR308_UB Skull Camo_8.jpg
    Red Creek_AR308_UB Skull Camo_8.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 23
well here it is

10470226473_2fca35d951_b.jpg

spikes dynacomp, BCM large latch, 16" dpms I snagged. 14" centurion CMR. ok get this, I got every part of this cheap. really, it was expensive, but I saved on every part. and it still cost freaking 1100-1200 I think. ill have to do the math. but dang. I think I was in 1300, maybe 1500 for the initial first whole rifle, lol. I hope I don't get a hard-on for the MKM

Last edited:
for the money, I really like the lancer. I was looking to spend 200ish on the 15" MI Gen II SS for 308 but they aren't out yet in high profile. I considered Sampson, but low profile only. troy has high profile in 13.8" at the 200-250ish I think. this was on the board, helped a member out. its light. lighter than the one you see in my sig photo. that's a badger rail. nice too.

the company has a few companies making a few things. they moved to a new place, and state I think. so they have panels and different options available. I heard you can use the magpul sections with a few mods. their facebook has all kinds of stuff that you can get yet. its frustrating, lol.

I currently have a JP which is fine for what I use it for, but I am waiting for someone to release a KeyMod rail system to fit the MA-10 receivers (not just the MKM uppers). I just sold all of my quad rails from my AR's and switched to Noveske NSR's. I love their light weight, slim design, and full length top rail. Great and lightweight design.

yeah I was really disappointed in mega. not my maten, just mega. they released the ambi after I bought mine, then the mkm requires a special upperand o cant use it on the upper I used in this build. great marketing on their part. gotta drop a chunk o change up each step up you want. great quality though, nothing against them there.

I recently built a Mega and went with the Wilson Combat TRIM rail. Its fit and finish was good, but the color of the black was very different than that of the Mega upper/ lower. I cerakoted it so that concern ultimately didn't matter. I also like the feel-in-hand of the rail.

The mounting system is good, but I had a problem early on getting the barrel nut both tight enough and lined up properly. I think I solved it, but I only just finished the build, so I haven't confirmed this. Red Loctite would solve the problem if it comes back, but I try to avoid using it, and I don't think WC calls for it...

The other issue is that the barrel nut takes a 1-3/8th wrench, and I have had a hard time finding a crowfoot wrench for my torque wrench that was that size and also thin enough (in width) to fit on/ around the barrel nut. WC calls for 30-50 lb ft, but in their install video, the tech just hand tightens, which is what I used.

Anyway, so that is my contribution...

Mega.jpg

I recently built a Mega and went with the Wilson Combat TRIM rail. Its fit and finish was good, but the color of the black was very different than that of the Mega upper/ lower. I cerakoted it so that concern ultimately didn't matter. I also like the feel-in-hand of the rail.

The mounting system is good, but I had a problem early on getting the barrel nut both tight enough and lined up properly. I think I solved it, but I only just finished the build, so I haven't confirmed this. Red Loctite would solve the problem if it comes back, but I try to avoid using it, and I don't think WC calls for it...

The other issue is that the barrel nut takes a 1-3/8th wrench, and I have had a hard time finding a crowfoot wrench for my torque wrench that was that size and also thin enough (in width) to fit on/ around the barrel nut. WC calls for 30-50 lb ft, but in their install video, the tech just hand tightens, which is what I used.

Anyway, so that is my contribution...

View attachment 19531

Wilson Combat uses a "matte" finish so Cerakote or Gunkote will stick to the rail.
I have found that sometimes the shim needs some material removed to get it to line up just right. Those crowfoot wrenches are harder to find than you would think. I brought my barrel nut to a tool supply and tried a few until I found the right one. I love the TRIM rail.

if you cant find the right size crowfoot, try a few shims. I used a few since the nut badger uses in the stabilizer is trapezoidal I believe if I recall my geometry. I placed a shim inbetween the nut & wrench to take up some slack

nice looking rail Deepwoods

Thanks for the input. If the barrel nut comes loose (again), I'll try an exta shim. (Plumbers tape is not good, right?)

Even though I didn't confirm it, I'm pretty sure I torqued the nut down to within spec. But since I can't say for certain, I'll keep an eye on it as a break the rifle in.

I had some 1"x1/8" steel strips that took up the extra space and kept the nut captured and got me to the torque I needed. my last one had holes around it and I had to finally buy an armorers wrench for the one use. plumbers tape sounds slippery, lol

Last edited:
well here it is
spikes dynacomp, BCM large latch, 16" dpms I snagged. 14" centurion CMR. ok get this, I got every part of this cheap. really, it was expensive, but I saved on every part. and it still cost freaking 1100-1200 I think. ill have to do the math. but dang. I think I was in 1300, maybe 1500 for the initial first whole rifle, lol. I hope I don't get a hard-on for the MKM

Things add-up quick!

FWIW, this is what I end-up with (work in progress)! The rails line-up perfectly, the barrel nut is not on.

Barrel: Fullton 16” Ultralight
BCG (not shown): Shadow Ops
Handguard: Samson via 556 Tactical
Lower-receiver: Iron Ridge
Upper-receiver: Sun Devil 308 slickside

Go here to get your crow's foot: McMaster-Carr

I got lucky and found a crowfoot at a clearinghouse place. 11.00 and 3.95 shipping. I used yahoo and it was just in the returned links. lucky me. I did spot singles on Ebay too

Axeman,

I'm not sure if you're still looking at different rail systems, but I have a Lancer CF on an AR15 that I like. I think the 308 versions do not have the rail strips at the 12:00--the one I have has a small piece out front for a sight (I like this even if I don't shoot irons that much).

Installation was pretty smooth, and fit and finish is quite good. I like how the octagonal shape feels in hand. I had never used red Loctite in my projects, and that has an air of permanency that felt odd (even if it isn't really permanent). While it was lighter than the rail it replaced (Troy TRX), I think the actual weights are hugely different. But the Lancer has barrel nut as well as an adaptor piece (that's the part that is loctited), so the weight of the rail system sits farther back.

And Redmanss, the crowfoot wrench from Mcmaster-carr is perfect. Thank you.

Engage Lower.jpg

Edit, missed the photo above showing final rifle--so you settled on a rail... Axeman, can you put your 308 on a scale, as is in photo? Mine is 9.4lbs, as shown with only non standard part being a slightly heavier buffer weight.

Last edited:
mine is 8.5 pounds as you see it. standard DPMS 308 buffer. cant recall the weight, but its not a heavy. the upper you see in my sig comes in at 10.25 pounds complete without the scope. almost 2 full pounds lighter with 2" less barrel and the Centurion

my barrel in the sig photo is 18" and the upper with the Centurion CMR is 16"

Last edited:
Axeman, thanks for the measurements. Clearly, my buffer and the UBR push the weight up. I have an LMT MWS that in the same configuration as my Mega (ie no fix'ins) is 10lbs, but because of the design of the barrel, the weight sits farther toward the muzzle.

It sounds like Troy is completely redesigning a new handguard and it should be ready for the shot show. Im thinking they are not too happy with the TRX-308 fitment. Supposedly its getting fazed out. So Troy and Geisselle will be coming out with a new one soon.

I think everybody just got too similar. look at the Troy, Sampson, Midwest Industries similarities. transfer that to the centurion. basically the same, different nut. had to buy that wrench with the pin on that hook looking part. with the exception of the carbon entries they are all kind of he same. the smooth ones are alike, the railed ones are alike. Im still wondering why I went centurion, but 8.5 pounds might be the reason. I hope they get accessories out soon.

Last edited:
JP is working on a version of their Rapid Config hand guard that will work on the LRP-07. if they are lighter than the regular JP hand guard, i will be looking to get one of those once they release them.

2735.jpg

Things add-up quick!

FWIW, this is what I end-up with (work in progress)! The rails line-up perfectly, the barrel nut is not on.

Barrel: Fullton 16” Ultralight
BCG (not shown): Shadow Ops
Handguard: Samson via 556 Tactical
Lower-receiver: Iron Ridge
Upper-receiver: Sun Devil 308 slickside

so is this a discontinued handguard? , I can only find the star10 on their website? what model is this? thanks in advance