• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Whats the fastest way to reload a bolt action?

bark-eater

Private
Minuteman
Any one here mess around with scout rifles? I'm in the process of figuring out how to run a Savage scout. I admit that its a bit of a concept toy out side of being a good deer rifle. I can get five (4+1) shots off pretty quick, the butt cuff will handle the first reload, and then what? Im going to get some more 4 round magazines, but would like to figure a way to reload quickly through the top. Im trying to figure out a "gobag" of some sort that will carry ammo in some accessible manner. Ive thought up a bunch of schemes: loose rounds in dump pouch, bag lined with belt slides, or 20 round fal/hk mags set up to strip rounds off by hand. Lazy day coffee and armchair thoughts is what Ive got. Any practical experience floating around out there? thanks, woody

Re: Whats the fastest way to reload a bolt action?

What about cutting up the Federal bullet holders(10 rounds) or the older Hornady (20 rounds) and then figure out what pouch will hold them best ? I've cut off the belt loops of the federals to allow them to pack easier in cans and if I have enough I use the white (clear0 for one load and the red plastic for another load.
If you cut the plastic in half then they will fit in the old compass / bandage pouch.
Just a few ideas

I use HK alloy mags to carry my bulk ammo in for matches. They keep your ammo protected and one can strip rounds to be put in the primary magazine pretty quickly.
I carry three in a cheap CTD molle dump pouch with my extra AICS mags (2), and there's room to dump empty brass in as well. Looks bulky, but stays out of the way for the most part.

Dec1607j-1.jpg

I have several ways to carry ammo. Redman ammo cards are sweet and hold the rounds very securely from around the neck or D-ring. I also have a 50 round MTM box that you see a lot of folks have around here. The 50 rounder goes in the front pouch of my back pack; those rounds come out quick for prone follow-ups. More direct to your question, a stock pack is pretty quick and fairly secure. A neoprene arm band on your off hand works pretty good too. Did I leave anything out? Hope this helps.

Reactions: bucklowery
I have a couple rounds side saddle style on the side of my trusty rusty, on long walks and stalks I like to keep an additional round or two stored directly up my wollered out rucksack AKA me bunghole

Stripper clips.

Modern companies have forgotten this though.

Came in to post this. A trained soldier in a 20th century army can charge a bolt rifle via a stripper clip far faster than even the most advanced LULA mag loader. (Never used 'em before. Just saw advertising videos of them. Interesting and agree it can help certain shooters suffering from conditions like arthritis load mags more efficiently, but not part of my kit.)

omg guys this thread is 10 years old.

Shit, I had just finished building a Tennessee pattern half-stock rifle for a PA big game hunter just a month before OP's post. .454 caliber. 1:28" broached rifling. 6 lands/grooves. No. 10 percussion ignition with maple stock. I think I just took on a new job around the OP's time. An old Colt's 1851 revolver, Italian built in the 1970's that needed a major overhaul on it's internal action. Nobody is making exact-dimension parts for that particular company anymore so some parts had to be made from scratch... Put that old warhorse back in action I did. The owner had used it as a deer gun since his deceased father had gave it to him a long time ago and it meant a lot to him. Some forum posters' remarks "just buy a new one", did not sit well with him and I understood. My own father was in the hospital with a lung empyema at the time that required extensive operations and in home nursing care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olen_4504