• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Walked into a Jax outdoor gear store (local chain in CO). They had 3 RPRs laying on the wall btw.

Me: Do you guys got any Magpul AICS 10 rounders?
Jax: Humongous eyeball raise of offense plus actual quote from 70 year old fudd--> "We don't sell military grade equipment here"
Me: lol

Jax @ Lafayette Co. Add them to the list of fuckoffs.

There was once a time that Jax was patriotic. That changed. I like how the store in Louisville is two separate stores. The "farm" supply store and the "outdoor" recreation store across the street. You can see they send the "conservative" employees to the "farm" supply store. Isn't that where the guns are too?

What was the maximum time until these had to be repacked? I really wish I had pulled at least one just as I just before I was going to do my PLF or the abbreviated feet ass head.....

i was in from 91-94....back then, i dont think there was a maximum time. Not a problem for the mains....but i was doing my part to help get the reserves repacked. And BOY OH BOY did we ever hear about that after each jump. I got everyone around me doing it, too. And you know how Joe is....if’n they tell him NOT to do something....

This is solid gold.

In a handloading thread on another board, some guy tunes in and spills his wisdom:

1548915989646.png

This is the picture he posts, as he explains how he measures the "throat" of his barrel so that he knows what COAL he can use.
You may notice that it is the muzzle of the barrell that he has jammed a bullet into and then measures from... Its pretty epic.
When he is confronted about it, he writes that everyone is free to use their own ways of measuring, still not grasping that whatever measurement he is getting, it tells him absolutely nothing about the throat measurement of his barrell.

Last edited:
I was told once (by a vet no less) that an M-16 on full auto fires so fast that the next loaded round goes off before the previous round exits the barrel.

I'll just leave that one right where it sits.

I've seen that happen, in semi autos. We call them squibs...

Last edited:
Had a guy tell me the other day he completely dropped a cow elk at 40 yards with a rock.
Same guy once shot a black bear in the eye at 800 yards with an old 06 with irons and called his shot.

Many years ago while helping a friend herd some dairy cows back into the pasture they had gotten out of, there was one particularly recalcitrant near full grown heifer that just wouldn't go. He got frustrated and threw a softball sized rock hitting it more or less right between the eyes. To our amazement the damn thing dropped dead right there. Talk about we were in trouble...

Many years ago while helping a friend herd some dairy cows back into the pasture they had gotten out of, there was one particularly recalcitrant near full grown heifer that just wouldn't go. He got frustrated and threw a softball sized rock hitting it more or less right between the eyes. To our amazement the damn thing dropped dead right there. Talk about we were in trouble...
Talk about an oh shit moment!

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyContractor
I had a shitwit tell me I could use the same powder and charge weight for my .357 in my 9mm. The same shitwit said I could use 6.5X.284 dies to reload 6.5CM. I don't ask questions in gun stores anymore!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
This is solid gold.

In a handloading thread on another board, some guy tunes in and spills his wisdom:

View attachment 7015091

This is the picture he posts, as he explains how he measures the "throat" of his barrel so that he knows what COAL he can use.
You may notice that it is the muzzle of the barrell that he has jammed a bullet into and then measures from... Its pretty epic.
When he is confronted about it, he writes that everyone is free to use their own ways of measuring, still not grasping that whatever measurement he is getting, it tells him absolutely nothing about the throat measurement of his barrell.

Somebody should have dropped this joke off in that thread...

A man walks into a bar with a monkey on a leash. The monkey was obviously not well trained and kept grabbing things and knocking them over. At one point, it picked up a cue ball and swallowed it. "Hey, did you see what your monkey just done? He swallowed that damn cue ball!", the bartender uttered in surprise. The monkey's owner promptly apologized and paid for the cue ball, promising that he would keep a tighter grip on it the next time..................A few days later, the man returns to the bar, with the same monkey on the leash. Just like the previous time, the monkey was grabbing and knocking things over as usual. Then it picked up a maraschino cherry from a tray, stuck it up it's ass, pulled it out again and swallowed it. "Sir, did you see what your monkey did just now? It shoved a cherry up it's ass and then swallowed it!", the bartender exclaimed. "Yeah", the man replied. "After he swallowed that cue ball, he measures everything first now".

Just remembered this one. At a range in Chantilly VA many years ago, pulling out a rifle out of a case and a RSO runs up to me and starts yelling at me, 'you can't shoot this gun here!" I ask why? He yells "no shooting centerfire rifles here!" I tell him it's a rimfire. His stilling yelling response is "I know a Mauser 98k when I see one". As I'm 6'9" and 275, I'm getting a little P/O'd, but decide to mess with him first, so I tell him in no uncertain terms to get the Manager, who, unknown to me was walking over to us at that moment. Mgr asks what the problem is, idiot RSO repeats his B/S and the Mgr asks to see the gun. It is a Norinco 98k copy in 22lr with an obviously Winchester 52 copied action. I show the jerk RSO the magazine and ask, what centerfire caliber will fit in here? Jerk mumbled as he walked away. Mgr apologized and said my shooting time would be refunded. I said fine, and how about teaching his RSO's some manners. He agreed, the show was over.

A couple of nights ago, watching a program on the Concorde airliner, the commentator states " the Concorde at Mach 2 and 60,000 feet flew higher and faster than all US spy planes ". The A-12, YF-12A, SR-71A and the XB-70 all flew above Mach 3 at higher altitudes, the B-58 matched the Concorde, and these all flew starting in the early '60's. Get it right you idiots! I remember my Dad telling me after he served almost half a Century in Commercial Aviation, " if you only build 20 aircraft and you loose one, you have a pretty bad service history! " And the one they lost was preventable, they knew for years they had problems with these Aircraft. It was like the Space Shuttle fleet, it was a when is something bad going to happen, not if. A tragic waste of life all the way around.

I was told by my ex brother in law one day while out training gun safety with my kids with 22s that I need to be running 22 LR.....
He continues on that LR stands for long range and much more accurate. Told me to quit being a cheap ass and buy 22 LONG RANGE and my kids would be hitting clay pigeons at 400 yds with no holdover. At that point I was done......(how my sister put up with his stupid ass that long I’ll never know).

Not something I heard, but something that was done. Some years ago at the ASC range (nice facility) on the west side of Houston I was working with a new rifle at the 300 yard range and as I was shooting this clown started walking down range to hang targets. I asked him what the fuck he thought he was doing and he said he knew I was a good shot and thus felt he would be in no danger.

Heard this one while talking to my local FFL. He was telling me some body called him and wanted a really nice 1911 and went on to tell him that a CZ 75 was the same as 1911. And he truly believed it.

Could be. But the way my buddy tells it he was dead set that a CZ 75 was a dressed up 1911. It was good for a laugh anyway when he was telling it. :) Even at that though the high powers are not made anymore.

Well it IS a continuation of the 1911 design. An "improved" 1911 so to speak. Though they are similar but NOT the same.

i find this stuff happens a lot with older guys who do not follow modern times. I was going to use a recommended gunsmith from a customer. here is how that went.

me-"i have a savage axis, i need a barrel in 6mm cm installed on the action. can you just supply the barrel for me and do it all?
him- what caliber is it now
me- 6.5 cm, factory rifle from buds, small shank
him- why are you changing the barrel on a brand new gun just for a .5 mm change
me- what does it matter i am paying you to do it
him- well, i dont want to do 6mm cm. i will do a 243. it is a much better round
me- i can understand it may be in some cases but i am not hunting and factory match ammo is much more available in 6mm cm.
him- match ammo is a rip off, i can shoot just as accurate with regular hunting loads

i hung up. taking my gun to another gunsmith tomorrow.

i have a few bullets on my desk at work ( i work retail). all rifle caliber, 224 valkyrie, 6mm cm, 6,5cm, maybe even a 7mm-08 there. guy comes in and ask if i shoot or do i just like bullets. I could tell he was kidding so we got to talking about shooting. he asked to see the bullets, then he told me all he has is a 30-30, but it is more acurate than all the rounds on my desk. he has shot a moose with it from about 600 yards back in the day when his brother took him hunting in wyoming. i kinda went along with it, and said, you sure you dont mean 30-06? what scope / rifle did you have. naw, it was a 30-30, marlin, no scope. i slowly went back to work.

on a side note, a bunch people were talking about a 50 bmg killing something without hitting it. There is a video on youtube of a guy missing a doe at about 100 yrds, and it killed it. it just whizzed by her head.

on a side note, a bunch people were talking about a 50 bmg killing something without hitting it. There is a video on youtube of a guy missing a doe at about 100 yrds, and it killed it. it just whizzed by her head.

Well, we are in the right thread I guess.

That video was proven to be a hit, not a miss. There is no "magic rape shockwave" that comes off of any projectile (short of a railgun) that will do this type of damage (or any damage for that matter). There is just nothing particularly special about a .5 inch projectile moving at ~2850 fps at the muzzle outside of the energy it delivers when it impacts.

Met a guy while groundhog hunting. Asked him what caliber he was using. 204 ruger.

He says see that bank over there..(it's around 700 yds away mind you) I killed one clear over there.

Awesome, how much did you dial or hold over? I didn't, just held right on him. This thing shoots flat, just sighted it in at 100yds.

Now I suppose he could've gotten extremely lucky and squeezed the round off high enough to hit him..like 11.5moa high. Lol

he has shot a moose with it from about 600 yards back in the day when his brother took him hunting in wyoming. i kinda went along with it, and said, you sure you dont mean 30-06? what scope / rifle did you have. naw, it was a 30-30, marlin, no scope.

If he was Ed McGivern or Jerry Miculek, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt...

Otherwise, I would have asked him if he wanted to do a range outing, at a nice proper long distance rifle range preferably. He bring his .30-30 Marlin, I grab my 1873's, and let's ring some steel.........and do some 600 yard work on a bison silhouette.

Reactions: 6/250/40
Had a guy tell me that he can shoot quarters at 400 yards with his .17 hmr all day long... he also head-shot a handful of coyotes running at 1000+ yards with his stock pencil barreled 25-06... I'm sure he said more stupid stuff, but i had already quit listening

Met a guy while groundhog hunting. Asked him what caliber he was using. 204 ruger.

He says see that bank over there..(it's around 700 yds away mind you) I killed one clear over there.

Awesome, how much did you dial or hold over? I didn't, just held right on him. This thing shoots flat, just sighted it in at 100yds.

Now I suppose he could've gotten extremely lucky and squeezed the round off high enough to hit him..like 11.5moa high. Lol

Na probably skipped it in

Reactions: wvlapua
This is solid gold.

View attachment 7015091

It would appear he is using the end of his barrel as a bullet comparator to get a base to ogive measurement. That would be my guess anyway.

The stupid comments you get from people about their AR pistols are golden.

"this piece of paper from the manufacturer will educate any cop that asks and ensures I won't get arrested"
"local cops can't arrest me for a federal crime"

@Aaros143 huh?

The following are things I've run across. One dumb, two dangerous and damn lucky, and one deadly.

At the Hurlburt Field rifle range a guy was bragging about how he had chambered his barrel himself. First shot the case wouldn't extract. After pounding the case out it had a banana shape. Turned out the guy had chambered it by chucking up a reamer in a hand held drill.

Maybe 50-55 years back, someone my old man knew stated there wasn't much difference between one powder and the next. As it turned out it wasn't such a good idea to stoke an -06 with shotgun powder. A 98 Mauser is stout but not that stout. Didn't even injure him, much.

Was a guy at a local indoor range shooting a .357 with handloads. He either double charged a case with Red Dot or maybe rapid fired the next full power round into a squib stuck in the barrel . Split the cylinder in two and peeled the top strap back . Wasn't a cheap pistol either, it was a nice Smith.

Guy I knew loaded for shotgun. Down in his basement for, whatever reason, he decided to drill a hole in a full 8 lb. can of powder. This back when cans were metal. He was badly burned and later died.

I've been accused of being a little paranoid when it comes to all things firearms related. Makes sense to me to be paranoid.

Reactions: DirtyContractor
Back in the 80s I heard my dad and his friend (I was 7) arguing who was a better shot. They were sitting there saying they could strike matches at 200 yards with their 30-06 and .22-250 ?

Heard this past weekend at Cabela's- character behind the counter 'Kimber's quality has gone down since Taurus bought them'. Twice as funny because 1) Taurus didn't buy them, and 2) Kimber's quality ALWAYS sucked....

This is the kind of stuff that makes me nervous when an obviously inexperienced shooter sits next to me at a rifle bench with a box of his first try at hand loaded ammo.

@ Blue Sky Country - The monkey joke got me in trouble. I can't tell jokes at the kids in-laws anymore.

Pretty much anything overheard at a public range. ...or anything a stranger leads with when they walk up to you (uninvited) at said public range. I'm there to shoot, not to talk to you about how you shoot golf balls at 1,000yds yet can't hold a zero at 100yds. That or if I'm on a plane, I don't need you telling me about how the military lets you "check out a .50 cal sniper rifle [SASR] so you can go hunting."

This past weekend at Academy Outdoors gun counter while looking at an ATN optic.

sales guy: “You have good taste! My buddy and me were tearing up the coyotes last week with the one I bought!”

Me: It’s illegal to hunt with those in this state....

Sales guy: Well your not a game warden are ya! (With a chuckle)

Me:..........(blank stare)........

Sales guy: (Mumble incoherently into radio and disappears)

Note: I’m not one, but he realized he done put his foot in his mouth lol

I once told a girlfriend in England that it sometimes gets to 110 degrees in Texas but it was ok we had air conditioning.

She called me a liar. Lol

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
The stupid comments you get from people about their AR pistols are golden.

"this piece of paper from the manufacturer will educate any cop that asks and ensures I won't get arrested"
"local cops can't arrest me for a federal crime"

LoL!!! Most cops don't know shit about NFA or AW regulations.

And

A lot of civilians don't either, and/or they take comfort in that aforementioned piece of paper.....

It drives me nuts when a fellow cop jams someone for come gun regulations and they call me after and brag about it. I'm like "dude that rifle was missing this/that/the other... why did your arrest them?"

Usually after a few second pause I get this:

"...chill out dude. I'm just arresting them, doesn't mean charges will be filed."

Drives me nuts.

Reactions: Longshot231
LoL!!! Most cops don't know shit about NFA or AW regulations.

And

A lot of civilians don't either, and/or they take comfort in that aforementioned piece of paper.....

It drives me nuts when a fellow cop jams someone for come gun regulations and they call me after and brag about it. I'm like "dude that rifle was missing this/that/the other... why did your arrest them?"

Usually after a few second pause I get this:

"...chill out dude. I'm just arresting them, doesn't mean charges will be filed."

Drives me nuts.
Cops like that deserve to lose their job.

Cabelas employee: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Just looking at your price for match 300 Win Mag."
Employee: "Where do you buy it?"
Me: "Usually just online. I did get 6 boxes of Federal 190 Match for about $22/box from midway."
Employee: "That's too cheap, probably counterfeit ammo."