• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Oh God, Clark Brothers, don't get me started! Stopped going there many years ago because of the stupid shit I saw there, plus you had to buy their ammo. Did have a lot of fun back in the day and the Mom and Pop diners were worth the drive, plus the real Gun Show they used to have just around the corner at the Roller Rink, I think? Now, I go there to just look around after I've stopped in at the Cabelas' in Gainsville and to eat at that great Dairy Stand just down the road a few miles.

Haha gotcha. I’ve never been. But my boss was there the other weekend and he’s a rookie shooter and took his new-to-him AR and said he had a very similar situation where he forgot how to hold the bolt back and someone had to do it for him

I would say the common parlance of falling is losing altitude. So if you throw a ball straight up, it is in a "free fall"; defined as only being acted upon by gravity. But, it is also gaining altitude which the common parlance would be rising, at least until it reaches its max ordnance. So I would give someone who says that "bullets rise after leaving the muzzle" the benefit of the doubt that they mean that the bullet gains altitude (aside from shooting downhill) because the muzzle is pointed up. I think there are very few people who think some magical force pushes the bullet up as it leaves the barrel.

Tell that to the hicks around here. They SWEAR the bullet rises. All brought about by a misleading drawing published decades ago. They will look at you like you owe them money if you try to argue. I learned long ago it was useless to do so so I let them wallow in their own ignorance.

Yeah, tons of people absolutely believe that the bullet has lift like an airplanes wing. Arguing it is painful.

Every cool guy at the range knows that a right hand twist barrel's bullet rises north of the equator .

And if you go south you must change barrels. Duh.

Yeah, tons of people absolutely believe that the bullet has lift like an airplanes wing. Arguing it is painful.

Yeah, like everyone knows there's no gravity, the earth sucks, ya know. Effect weakens as the bullet goes up hills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I was told that North Carolina had more nuke silos than the rest of the country combined, guy was way out there he claimed he built them

Old shooting buddy of mine told me the way to shoot the tightest groups was to take a shot at the bullseye and then from then on aim at the bullet hole. I absolutely not get him to understand how dumb that was.

Old shooting buddy of mine told me the way to shoot the tightest groups was to take a shot at the bullseye and then from then on aim at the bullet hole. I absolutely not get him to understand how dumb that was.
I have used bullet holes as better aiming points compared to a big old black circle like at Talladega CMP where you can't put up your own paper targets (At 600 I will use the edge of the target frame but at 100 I can see the bullet holes in the white). But I am guessing this is not what your buddy meant.

I was told that North Carolina had more nuke silos than the rest of the country combined, guy was way out there he claimed he built them
Yeah, right! My former neighbor was the 1st or 2nd ICBM Missile Wing Commander in SAC at the first ICBM Base at F.E. Warren AFB in Wyoming in '59 or '60. Later, as the B/G in charge, flew many Looking Glass missions out of Offutt AFB in Nebraska. Also commanded the 303rd Bomb Group, Hell's Angels during WW2. The stories he told me, wow!

Reactions: Bender and Healy

Aim small, hit small? ?

So backstory, there is an absolutely garbage range in my city and the RSO's tell people bad advice regularly. Today i had someone come into the gun store that i work at looking for "steel cased 22LR" because the RSO said "it would feed better"

I was at the local indoor gun range one time and these three Millennials come in that were clearly Call of Duty experts. Two guys claim to be the experts with one new guy. They had an assortment of rifles including an AR that repeatedly jammed. I just stood back and watched for a while. The new guy was shooting when the AR jammed and the experts stepped up and started yelling to him that in order to clear the jam he had to take the rifle outside rhrough the retail portion of the range.

That time, about 5 hours ago, when my wife told me; "I'll be right back, I have to run a few errands and then get a pedicure". Hmmm... too damn late now for me to get going to the range.

An acquaintance of mine told me recently he was loaned a 308 bolt action by a guy who knows a lot about guns. After zeroing it(unknown distance..im assuming 40 yards) he shot at farther distances and realized it shot high and right. So he decided he was using special bullets that lifted when coming out the barrel and went right because of the rifling. So he asked the guy who he loaned it from whats going on and the guy confirmed the theory. That yes..308 bullets are known to lift and go right.

The latest rage nowadays is the 308's people are building. They're chopping off the barrel to 10.1 inches..using special twist barrels and shooting the heaviest for caliber bullets. Easily a 2000 yard gun. Oh and don't bother shooting groups under 500 yards. The bullet wanders around but at 500 yards it settles down and by the time its at 1000 they're shooting 5 inch groups.

This was told to me a couple days ago by a buddy. I swear I didn't change anything. And I also don't know who "they" are.

A gun shop owner tried to convince me that a stock ruger precision (even worse, it was when they first came out) could shoot 1" groups at 1600 yds.......
Well, goll-ly! Mine does that all day every day without me even trying’. Why, I was just tellin’ the missus about shootin’ the wings off a butterfly out the back porch!

• Haha
Reactions: RackSqueezeBang
Well, goll-ly! Mine does that all day every day without me even trying’. Why, I was just tellin’ the missus about shootin’ the wings off a butterfly out the back porch!

I tried to tell him that it will shoot 1” groups at 2,000 yards but he called me a liar ?

Was at the local Hunter Safety Range run by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission with a max range of 200 yards. Two of the local police SWAT Team members show up dressed like they were going to war, helmets included. I had been shooting my custom 308 target rifle at 200 yards and with that days wind, two minutes of wind correction was needed. I mentioned this to the helmeted heroes and was told that a 308 is not affected by wind under 500 yards. They proceeded to lay down and shoot at 75 yards on head targets.

So backstory, there is an absolutely garbage range in my city and the RSO's tell people bad advice regularly. Today i had someone come into the gun store that i work at looking for "steel cased 22LR" because the RSO said "it would feed better"
I still have a couple of bricks of russian steel cased .22 that my bothers and i bought for almost nothing when we were kids shooting in 4-h. We bought several cases and my rifle was the only one that would shoot them reliably so i got them all. I think we paid $3-4 a brick when we bought them by the case. Can't remember the brand but it was green with a squirrel on the box. I doubt it feeds better than anything else and it damn sure wasn't more accurate. But it was cheap and we was po kids that liked to shoot.

All day long, when I do my part....LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Was told a fella's Marine buddy would use the gravitational pull of the moon in his ballistic calculations. Never heard of Tidal Trajectory drift, but maybe I've been living under a rock.

Reactions: jmb1911
Was told a fella's Marine buddy would use the gravitational pull of the moon in his ballistic calculations. Never heard of Tidal Trajectory drift, but maybe I've been living under a rock.

What, you never heard of the space shuttle door gunner? Tidal trajectory drift is a real thing man.

80352_space_shuttle_door__gunner_patch_acu_grande.jpeg

Rifle Hunting in Colorado some years ago.Buddy and I where fairly deep into “woods”.See two other hunters walking briskly.We made a Intercept line.Guys where out of breathe and on edge.

Get close to them and give a greeting.Both guys pointed behind and said a Sasquatch is following them.Continued on there way.My buddy and I chuckled and continued the way they pointed.

Went to the range to shoot today and no one was there...YAY

About 10 minutes after I got there, a guy shows up. I am shooting in Lane 12 out of 13. Lanes 10-13 are designated for 200 yards.

He brings a Ruger box in and starts setting up on lane 10. He pulls out a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex Crossfire scope mounted on it. He tells me he is here to see how it shoots as he picked it up yesterday. I told him that since he hasn't fired it before, he should consider his choice of zero. "Maybe you should zero it at 100 yards versus 200 yards." His response was...

"It already is zeroed. It comes that way from the factory. The gun shop told me it is setup perfectly. I just am here to shoot it."

Needless to say, it turned into a shit show for him.

After 20 shots at 200 then 100 and then 50, I zeroed it for him in 5 shots. He shot 15 more and I got 40 pieces of brass so it wasn't totally bad.

Was at a local gun shop looking for Retumbo or H1000...

guy behind the counter: "Whatcha looking for?"

Obviously I'm not going to tell him exactly what I'm looking for. That kills the fun of the whole social experiment of my gun shop experiences.

Me: "A slower burning magnum rifle powder for my 7mm RemMag pushing heavier 175's"

This is a test to see if he even knows what questions to ask related to internal ballistics (barrel length, etc)

Guy: "...(gears turning)...Oh, we definitely have that"

Turns around, grabs H110, and proudly says: "See, this is powder for magnums."

Me: "Huh, that's interesting, I don't see any rifle load data on that bottle for 7mm Remington magnum. I only see revolver cartridge data."

Guy: "It's for magnums though."

Me:

giphy (5).gif

I take it you didn't explain that is magnum pistol cartridges? Like .44 Mag, 50AE, etc...
Would have said that then walked away.

I take it you didn't explain that is magnum pistol cartridges? Like .44 Mag, 50AE, etc...

There was definitely more to the exchange focused on the differences of burn rates and the danger of loading 60+ grains of that particular powder into a rifle cartridge.

There was definitely more to the exchange focused on the differences of burn rates and the danger of loading 60+ grains of that particular powder into a rifle cartridge.

7mm Mag pistol would be pretty sweet though, gotta admit.

I'll watch you shoot it first though, just so I can learn how to hold it ;)

Nothing quite as satisfying as leaving a turd in the idiots wheaties to exemplify what an idiot he is. Nothing wrong with asking questions if you don't know. A lot wrong with someone sending that kind of info out there. Big box stores always seem to put real gun guys in womens clothing and idiots behind the gun counter. Neither one knows what they are doing there, but one is really dangerous.

OK, though I seldom shoot on public ranges and when I do they are mostly quite.
Last night was different. I had two rimfire shooters there. They were shooting at 100 yards with fairly common rifles and set ups. Thier form was not indicative of much knowledge or preparation. One of them was a talker. All good.

The talker showed me his 100 yard 5 shot groups. They were not bad. 3-4". Wind was quartering in from behind. Gusting 5-12 MPH.
Tough RF conditions in my opinion. I said, not bad considering the wind.

The talker then informed me that a .22 RF is not affected by wind. The groups were bad due to ammunition variables and wind did not make any differece at all. OK, good...

OK, though I seldom shoot on public ranges and when I do they are mostly quite.
Last night was different. I had two rimfire shooters there. They were shooting at 100 yards with fairly common rifles and set ups. Thier form was not indicative of much knowledge or preparation. One of them was a talker. All good.

The talker showed me his 100 yard 5 shot groups. They were not bad. 3-4". Wind was quartering in from behind. Gusting 5-12 MPH.
Tough RF conditions in my opinion. I said, not bad considering the wind.

The talker then informed me that a .22 RF is not affected by wind. The groups were bad due to ammunition variables and wind did not make any differece at all. OK, good...

My friends and I shoot .22LR at 100 yards a lot. Our targets are paint balls glued to index cards or pie plates. We also shoot golf balls suspended from mason line. The wind really does mess with us.

Rimfire shooters are always looking for the 1/4 inch group at 50 yards. That's possible on a zero-wind day.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that a 10 mph crosswind at 50 yards will cause a standard velocity bullet to drift 1.4 inches. So a 5 mph wind will make it drift .7 inches.

Now lets imagine a 2 mph wind which you can barely feel. That will make the bullet drift a little more than 1/4 of an inch. It goes without saying that a head wind or tail wind will mess with the impacts; vertically speaking.

With that said, I see a rimfire shooter attempting to zero a really nice & accurate rifle but tell me either the ammunition or rifle sucks.

Reactions: RTH1800
Agree. I don't do a lot of testing in winds like that as I can tell nothing. If I were shooting in those conditions with my accurate rifles and ammunition, I would think the groups not too bad.

Had an “expert” on another forum try to say that my target could not be a three round 308 grouping, that it was either 223 or 270. Never could explain how he could tell the difference between 308 and 270 but not 223 and 270. Also, I personally could never figure out what he thought I had to gain by lying about the caliber.

Attachments

• 103B1752-E547-4844-BE6C-8F1063C7FB85.jpeg
    103B1752-E547-4844-BE6C-8F1063C7FB85.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 135