• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Throw the horse over the fence some hay... Throw me down the stairs my shoes.

These are classic central Wisconsin phrases! The same guys who use these phrases will say this when talking about two things sitting side by side....

"Bod (meaning both) of dem der, side by each."

Most of these folks, at least in central WI, were of Polish bloodlines. Lots of them around Stevens Point and Wisconsin Rapids. :)

Now I'm gonna turn the corner around and go home back.

These are classic central Wisconsin phrases! The same guys who use these phrases will say this when talking about two things sitting side by side....

"Bod (meaning both) of dem der, side by each."

Most of these folks, at least in central WI, were of Polish bloodlines. Lots of them around Stevens Point and Wisconsin Rapids. :)

Now I'm gonna turn the corner around and go home back.

Etymological variances on dialectal disturbances, parabular prevarications and vocabulary conundrums of the King's English are more often than not too far above the level of comprehension of the proletariat masses and lower ranking enlisted personnel.

Reactions: sandwarrior
This is no bullshit....

My girlfriend in High School was looking at the Moon one day on a drive... I saw her and said that we are in a period of the orbit where the Moon was closer to the Earth... isn't it beautiful?

She said, "That's not the moon, that's a planet".... I thought she was sarcastic because it was so close... I said, yeah looks like one that close huh?... She said, "That is a planet, not a moon"... Oh? Which Planet is it? ... She said Jupiter, since it was the biggest...

She wasn't kidding.... Bless her heart. But I wasn't with her for her mind..... (But I decided then and there, no breeding with this one)

This is no bullshit....

My girlfriend in High School was looking at the Moon one day on a drive... I saw her and said that we are in a period of the orbit where the Moon was closer to the Earth... isn't it beautiful?

She said, "That's not the moon, that's a planet".... I thought she was sarcastic because it was so close... I said, yeah looks like one that close huh?... She said, "That is a planet, not a moon"... Oh? Which Planet is it? ... She said Jupiter, since it was the biggest...

She wasn't kidding.... Bless her heart. But I wasn't with her for her mind..... (But I decided then and there, no breeding with this one)

I was in training at Castle AFB in the early 80s and watched a classmate convince a "Valley Girl" that he was a guided missile pilot.

It was everything the rest of us could do to keep a straight face.

Reactions: Va_Gentleman
I don’t know where I read it,but it could be argued that the earth & the moon are twin planets vis a vis the relative size comparison between the earth & the moon compared to the rest of the planets & their moons in the solar system.

"We don't allow .50 BMG, at our max range of 100 Yards, they are just getting up to speed at that point." Apparently, he hasn't heard of Newton.

If you mount your scope on a 45 deg angle you can get a tighter zero because then both your windage and elevation turrets have the same adjustments. Pro tip ?

Yea, but that only takes care of shooting in an easterly wind direction. Do I flip the rifle over for westerly winds? ?

• Haha
Reactions: RBERGER82
You'll save money shooting precision .22.
Well, if you don’t count the high end bolt action rifle and the high end scope needed to get parallax free to 10 yards or so and only count the cost of ammo, then maybe. Unless of course you buy verified lot ammunition from Lapua, lol.

You'll save money shooting precision .22.
I'm not quite understanding that without some context. I know a lot of very good shooters who practice with .22 precision rifles. It saves a bunch of money over even your very best handloads.

I'll agree though, given a number of other circumstances, that could amount to a very large "molehill of stupid".

I'm not quite understanding that without some context. I know a lot of very good shooters who practice with .22 precision rifles. It saves a bunch of money over even your very best handloads.

I'll agree though, given a number of other circumstances, that could amount to a very large "molehill of stupid".
he means buying a vudoo, chassis, 7-35 atacr etc

All of the above, in the grand scheme it all costs the same. I may go out and practice CF and shoot 50 rounds, with RF I'll shoot 200 rounds plus per day. Rifle cost is the same, Optics cost is the same, Match expenses are the same, etc. Any savings on ammo cost per round is quickly offset by lot testing and inconsistent manufacturing. I can work up a CF load in under 50 rounds and I'm done testing, you are never done testing with RF.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawofsavage
1. “Oh I was with 13th special forces group.”
2. Cabelas employee told me the federal SMK 300 win mag ammo I bought from midway was likely counterfeit.

All of the above, in the grand scheme it all costs the same. I may go out and practice CF and shoot 50 rounds, with RF I'll shoot 200 rounds plus per day. Rifle cost is the same, Optics cost is the same, Match expenses are the same, etc. Any savings on ammo cost per round is quickly offset by lot testing and inconsistent manufacturing. I can work up a CF load in under 50 rounds and I'm done testing, you are never done testing with RF.
As I noted before, .22LR comps can get really expensive. But, using .22LR for practice is a LOT less expensive than practicing with your regular comp rifle. I also don't use 200 rounds when practicing. I use the same number I would use in the comp I'm practicing for, or may add a few to work on areas I'm not doing well in. I don't sort lots when practicing. In .22LR comps (all of them) they do.

In that context, it's less expensive. The .22LR comp game (any of them) is much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
On RFC, there's this dumbass named thomasconner and he said you should sight your rimfire in for cold bore shots. Then another dumbass in the clique backed him up and said you could fix cold bore flyers with a tuner.

As I noted before, .22LR comps can get really expensive. But, using .22LR for practice is a LOT less expensive than practicing with your regular comp rifle. I also don't use 200 rounds when practicing. I use the same number I would use in the comp I'm practicing for, or may add a few to work on areas I'm not doing well in. I don't sort lots when practicing. In .22LR comps (all of them) they do.

In that context, it's less expensive. The .22LR comp game (any of them) is much more.
IMO practicing with a .22 is not 1:1 for CF. It costs less per shot, but you don't get as much out of it either. Recoil, trajectory, wind, etc. I've been playing with RF quite a bit lately and it has become clear to me that shooting RF and CF are 2 completely different animals and practicing for one with the other is not viable for me. I enjoy both, but one is not a substitute for the other.

Last edited:
Ex airforce buddy who watched missile silos stateside said they had a 338 Lapaua they used and could put every shot in a half dollar from 1000 yards every time.

Then another dumbass in the clique backed him up and said you could fix cold bore flyers with a tuner.

Hi,

And what if I could show you the den of an elderly gentleman that has about 20 or so Rimfire World Records from different Rimfire Bench Rest associations over the years that would absolutely advise of such??

It is kinda funny sometimes as to how the "Tactical" community acts as if they are the first and most knowledgeable in regards to precision rimfire setups.

Sincerely,
Theis

Lol. It’s easy to get stuck in our own little pigeon hole sometimes and forget that other disciplines have different needs and solutions. .22 Barrel Tuning works great for a fixed distance and not as well for varying distances. Many good articles out there that discuss this.

Reactions: brianf and THEIS
When I was first starting to shoot my instructor on an M16 told me the bullet path would go down out of the barrel, then back up around 50 yards, then back down by 200, then level off. I often wonder where he got that idea from.

When I was first starting to shoot my instructor on an M16 told me the bullet path would go down out of the barrel, then back up around 50 yards, then back down by 200, then level off. I often wonder where he got that idea from.
There are a lot of people that have trouble with physics and how a ballistic trajectory relates to a sighted/scoped rifle. With that lack of understanding it’s hard to come up with a decent explanation as to why the .223 ball ammo, when sighted in at 50/200 will impact low at 10 yards, on target at 50, high at 100, and then back on target at 200. Add in not ever shooting past 200, which makes that an unknown.

Reactions: OverWatching
Lol. It’s easy to get stuck in our own little pigeon hole sometimes and forget that other disciplines have different needs and solutions. .22 Barrel Tuning works great for a fixed distance and not as well for varying distances. Many good articles out there that discuss this.
I have read the tuner article at varmintal.com so I maybe have a grasp of the idea of tuning but I cannot figure how zeroing for cold bore shots is a benefit? I guess it is linked with tuners?
Not denying it, just questioning.

Hi,

And what if I could show you the den of an elderly gentleman that has about 20 or so Rimfire World Records from different Rimfire Bench Rest associations over the years that would absolutely advise of such??

It is kinda funny sometimes as to how the "Tactical" community acts as if they are the first and most knowledgeable in regards to precision rimfire setups.

Sincerely,
Theis
Are you saying it is possible to use a tuner and correct the POI for cold bore flyers?

Hi,

I am saying that properly used tuners assist in getting rid of the "cold bore flyer" mystique completely, not correct for them in a group.

Same rimfire principle as using varied action screw torque to reduce group size.

RF BR guys shoot various mfg and lots of ammo until they get one that cloverleaf groups. They then go into rifle tuning with numerous different methods to shrink the cloverleaf groups.

Pretty common to see a RF BR rifle with 20 inch barrel but only 17 inch or so rifling because they countersink crown 1/8th inch at time to reach barrel harmonics perfection (Well as close to perfection as possible)

B.O.S.S. system derived from RF tuner and countersunk crown practices.

Centerfire world really could learn a lot from rimfire world in regards to actual rifle tuning because RF guys have no way to tune their ammo to the rifle like CF does.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
You know what I’m enjoying?

The sweet and delicious irony that a thread dedicated to stupid and random shit people say, devolves? into an actual serious educational discussion about tuners as applied to known distance rimfire shooting.

Contrast that to the serious discussions about precision riflery that often devolve into stupid arguments and random shit people say.

So perfect! So sweet!

Theis,

I respect your logic but I can't agree with it. Someone would have to explain how, when a rifle is sighted in to hit "X", the first shot goes 2" high and right. No matter where you aim, the first cold bore shot will always shoot 2" high and right. I don't understand how that can be tuned out??? Think about that, take as much time as needed and someone get back with me as to how that is possible (with any method). Same thing with "sighting in for a cold bore flyer", LMAO how does one do that when the POI will ALWAYS be 2" high and right. It's like someone saying, "well I will just adjust my scope 2" high and right and next time I hit right there". LOL, what happens? The first shot goes 2" high and right AGAIN and he starts over. It's really comical to think about it. It would be a great flick for Mr. Bean or the late great Benny Hill. show.

Keep in mind, I'm just using 2" high and right as the example.

• Wow
Reactions: THEIS
Well, this just proves once again that you don’t know what you don’t know.

You do realize how the whole adjusting the scope thing works right?

I’m going to suggest that you sign up for Frank’s online tutorials and look up cold bore flyers and cold bore shots. For starters.

Then read and practice any articles and tutorials he has on using and adjusting your scope.

Get back to us in a couple weeks.

Uhm-Kay?

Hi,

Well I will depart this thread and let it get back to its' roots...which clearly it now has done via post #792.

Sincerely,
Theis

Edited to Add:
@Spblademaker Why do you bring up such sore subject??? You do know that jackass called the HOA on me for having too many lathes in garage. Talking about it violated the advanced technology clause of the HOA. Then acted like it wasn't him that did it at the next Christmas party.

Last edited:
This thread is much better as a DEMONSTRATION of stupid shit people say...

Just had a 2 day gun show this weekend. The usual dumb shit being said... but these here induce the most rage every time. We have suppressors for sale, and have a bunch of them on display at each show.

"Between me, you, and the fence post... I've played around with building my own suppressors you know... because I have a lathe and stuff."
"I can make my own suppressor with some PVC pipe and a couple washers!"

I think if I hear one more fucking idiot, telling me about the illegal shit he's tried or is trying to do, I'm going to break his fucking knees. I tell them, "This HTA Guardian 22 right here will cost you $400 after all paperwork, taxes, and fees. Is $400 worth risking 10 years in prison, and a hundred thousand dollar fine?" I'm usually met with a blank face. If any of you goddamn idiots that said this to me at the recent gun show are reading this... let me remind you:
That 'you can't single load a MN 91/30'. Means a lot of dead Russian soldiers waiting for their mags to be empty before reloading or a lot of partly filled stripper clips lying around. From a service rifle range officer interfering in my instructing.

How about a 308 168 will group better than a 175 at 100 yds but the 175 will tighten up at longer distance.

I see lots of talk but no explanation. No explanation of how the bullet is pulled back to POA when the FIRST cold bore shot is ALWAYS 2" high and right. Someone please explain to me how the bullet magically curves back down 2" and to the left.

Keep in mind, we are not talking about the first shot from a cleaned barrel but a "seasoned/fouled barrel that "should be ready to shoot POA. That's what the discussion was about on RFC.

The bore is cold... After the first shot the bore is no longer “cold”. Your zero at its environmental origin, as compared to point of impact at your “current environmentals”, with an ambient temp shift or chamber/brass/powder temp change of +/-20F is enough to measure. People far more experienced and intelligent have produced metrics to measure this as well. At 100y a 2” deviation would be pretty ridiculous in center fire, 3/4” or less seems to be the norm from my 25 years of shooting. That said I’ve only been shooting accurately enough that I would be able to track cold bore shift for about 5 of them. I hope that covers it. Watch Franks training videos. Just believe.

@ Mr. Zick,

That's not explaining anything about how to cure a cold bore flyer. Unless Frank explains how to sight in or use a tuner to make a cold bore flyer shoot at POA instead of flying 2" high and right then there is no point in watching his videos. Remember, this stupid remark I heard come from an idiot on RFC. So, we were talking about 22 long rifle and shooting at 50 yards, not centerfire and 100 yards.

Still waiting for that explanation.

You don’t cure, you account for. I don’t know my ass from my elbow with rimfire or tuners.