• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

Saw a guy at the LGS ask ask if they bore sight scopes, employee said yes, guy goes out to his vehicle and comes in with just a scope in a box, hands it to the worker, he asked where is your rifle and the guy said “ the rifle shoots great I just need the scope sighted in”. He left in a bit of a huff after all the laughter died down.

The same guys that apparently think you can just slap a scope on a rifle and be good-to-go... and do this:

Baffle-strikes-at-100-yard-range.jpg

Hearing far too often lately:

"Why can't they shoot them in the leg?"

Even a certain presidential candidate made the suggestion.

I’ve been told before that a .22 long rifle is one of the most dangerous calibers because it’s small enough that it bounces off bones and ribs and ends up “pin balling” around your rib cage puncturing your vitals from multiple directions. 😂😂
I heard a similar one to that! Someone told me it's the most dangerous because if you got shot in the head it would penetrate and not exit and just bounce around in your head. Acting like a blender for your brain.

I heard a similar one to that! Someone told me it's the most dangerous because if you got shot in the head it would penetrate and not exit and just bounce around in your head. Acting like a blender for your brain.
i was told that in police academy

There's actual truth to this. Enough energy to penetrate the skull but not enough to exit. It has to go somewhere.

The military has all kinds of bullshit myths. I was told several times during my career that .50 is so powerful if the bullet gets with in a few feet of you the shockwave will kill you. All kinds of dumb crap. Just because your .mil doesn't mean you know dick about guns, the same as LEOs.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I don’t know how far he missed by but there’s a video on the Internet and I saw the episode where Keith Warren was hunting a deer shot at it and missed but was close enough the shockwave sucked her eyeballs out and killed her right on the spot and there’s not a mark on her other than the trauma from the shockwave

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I don’t know how far he missed by but there’s a video on the Internet and I saw the episode where Keith Warren was hunting a deer shot at it and missed but was close enough the shockwave sucked her eyeballs out and killed her right on the spot and there’s not a mark on her other than the trauma from the shockwave
I've watched that video and a frame by frame breakdown of it, he does't miss like he said, he put it right through the eyes.

once people start quoting steve marin were in trouble

go to about 35 seconds in

i love this movie, if you havent watched it..hilarious
especially if your from the NYC area

I think if he did that with the 50 there would be no head on the deer
Eyes and brain are a very low density tissue, and I believe he showed a silvertip (AP) round beforehand, so no expansion of the round through very elastic tissue shouldn't result in much outward damage.

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude
My son and I at the .22 rimfire range. In addition to our .22LR rifle, we pulled out a 25.cal Air Rifle:

Range officer: "What caliber is that air rifle?"
Me: "It's a .25 cal pellet Air Rifle."
Range Officer: "This rimfire range is rated for .22 rimfires only. You are going to have to pack up and keep the Air Rifle unless it is .22 cal or smaller. "

I had no idea how to explain to my 9 year old son the RO's rationale above...

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and lash
Yes but how does that make it any more lethal than any other center fire cartridge around?

Traditional .22's and Long Range Match typically are lead based. That lead is soft and when it hits something, it tends to squash into a .22<Bullet<.44 sized wad of lead moving through the body.

You don't get the "Whump" of the energy transfer or Temporary Would channel from that Shock... but you do cut up a bunch of vital stuff.

Very quiet, and deadly but precise aiming is required. That is why so many shootings in the past of Limbs, hands and Feet are treatable from .22's... and why Head Shots, Heart, Lung's... are very difficult.

i.e..Mossad .... or @armorpl8chikn for that matter.

Traditional .22's and Long Range Match typically are lead based. That lead is soft and when it hits something, it tends to squash into a .22<Bullet<.44 sized wad of lead moving through the body.

You don't get the "Whump" of the energy transfer or Temporary Would channel from that Shock... but you do cut up a bunch of vital stuff.

Very quiet, and deadly but precise aiming is required. That is why so many shootings in the past of Limbs, hands and Feet are treatable from .22's... and why Head Shots, Heart, Lung's... are very difficult.

i.e..Mossad .... or @armorpl8chikn for that matter.
See my original post. I was told the .22 was more lethal for head shots because it bounced around in the skull. How is that any more lethal than being shot in the head by a .223 .243 .30-06 .338 Lapua 12 gauge slug etc?

Reactions: Va_Gentleman
See my original post. I was told the .22 was more lethal for head shots because it bounced around in the skull. How is that any more lethal than being shot in the head by a .223 .243 .30-06 .338 Lapua 12 gauge slug etc?

There is nothing like scientific research brought to us by the folks from Zombie Go Boom.

Oh.. my bad.. missed that... I don't buy into it being MORE lethal than those.....

I believe that it has been the largest accidentals/direct fire due to the shear volume of arms in .22.... but MORE lethal than a those.. nah, I am with you on that statement!

Not likely.

Skip to ~6:35

Tada!!!
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Yes but how does that make it any more lethal than any other center fire cartridge around?

Instead of passing through causing one wound channel, it "bounces" around, since it cannot exit the skull on the other side, causes much more wound trauma. Much like Steve Martin described. Just because he described it in a movie, doesn't mean it isn't true. Whether it's "more" lethal or not is difficult to prove without experimentation on actual skulls containing a viable brain.

Instead of passing through causing one wound channel, it "bounces" around, since it cannot exit the skull on the other side, causes much more wound trauma. Much like Steve Martin described. Just because he described it in a movie, doesn't mean it isn't true. Whether it's "more" lethal or not is difficult to prove without experimentation on actual skulls containing a viable brain.

The only upside to the .22 is it may not exit. So if thats of importance, it matters.

It’s been proven time and time again it doesn’t do much damage (comparatively speaking). In fact there are numerous instances where smaller rounds enter the skull and then start following the actual skull and not continuing directly through the brain.

“Bouncing” isn’t the best term. Even when it does deflect, the energy is low enough the .22 deflecting in the body does far less damage than a larger/faster round.

Overall, it’s generally just a myth that has some very loose facts involved with it.

Reactions: RTH1800 and lash
The only upside to the .22 is it may not exit. So if thats of importance, it matters.

It’s been proven time and time again it doesn’t do much damage (comparatively speaking). In fact there are numerous instances where smaller rounds enter the skull and then start following the actual skull and not continuing directly through the brain.

“Bouncing” isn’t the best term. Even when it does deflect, the energy is low enough the .22 deflecting in the body does far less damage than a larger/faster round.

Overall, it’s generally just a myth that has some very loose facts involved with it.

Can you provide me some links? Would really like to research.

A centerfire rifle shot to the brain is lethal, as in dead. A .22 will not even guarantee death unless placed where it actually enters the brain. Therefore, is is never “more lethal”. In fact can anything be more lethal? Dead is dead.

That said, many a deer has been taken illegally with a .22 LR and we always used to use a .22 to dispatch hogs for slaughter. However, you did have to place the shot in a spot where it actually entered the skull or you had one pissed off pig. The .30-30 was for those times when the shot wasn’t placed correctly by a newbie. No problem with shot placement there.

I don't know, I think a good 45 acp through the skull will do as much damage as the devastating 22LR. I think the exit wound will take care of most of the brain matter for which we are speaking about.

A centerfire rifle shot to the brain is lethal, as in dead. A .22 will not even guarantee death unless placed where it actually enters the brain. Therefore, is is never “more lethal”. In fact can anything be more lethal? Dead is dead.
Very true. When I was a kid in Agness, OR (about a small a town as you can find in rural OR) a local shot another local in the face with a .22 pistol and hit him in the mouth. All it did was break off his upper central incisor tooth and failed to penetrate any further. He ended up doing some time for that one, but he beat the attempted murder charge and I think he plead it down to assault with a deadly weapon. Point being that .22 will not guarantee death unless it enters the brain pan as evidence by my statistical analysis of a sample size of 1. This story would have had a much different outcome if a centerfire had been utilized. Hell, I wonder if it would have been different with a .25 auto?

that the blm is fighting for social justice in a peaceful way . they are only trying to help black people in this country while taking in hundres of millions of dollars and helping no one but them self . that the black mail and extortion is not illegal . and that supporting a terrorist organization like the blm and antifa is not illegal while it is really illegal .

• Love
When the “what’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard thread” becomes a serious discussion about the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard...
This isn't the first time. Did you not read the hullabaloo about fluted barrel strength and stiffness? It'll die down eventually.

Reactions: 308pirate
I don't know, I think a good 45 acp through the skull will do as much damage as the devastating 22LR. I think the exit wound will take care of most of the brain matter for which we are speaking about.

Thats what I said.

My son and I at the .22 rimfire range. In addition to our .22LR rifle, we pulled out a 25.cal Air Rifle:

Range officer: "What caliber is that air rifle?"
Me: "It's a .25 cal pellet Air Rifle."
Range Officer: "This rimfire range is rated for .22 rimfires only. You are going to have to pack up and keep the Air Rifle unless it is .22 cal or smaller. "

I had no idea how to explain to my 9 year old son the RO's rationale above...

Which 25 caliber air rifle? You sending heavy slugs or pellets? How fast? If it's one of the older 25 calibers it probably has less power than your typical 22 Rimfire. However nowadays, that modern 25 caliber PCP gun can have a more energy than the 22lr.

Maybe go talk to range owner / manager?

Which 25 caliber air rifle? You sending heavy slugs or pellets? How fast? If it's one of the older 25 calibers it probably has less power than your typical 22 Rimfire. However nowadays, that modern 25 caliber PCP gun can have a more energy than the 22lr.

Maybe go talk to range owner / manager?
It was the FX impact MK2 25 cal shooting 34gr pellets at 900fps for about 62fpe. .22lr generally have about twice the energy at 120fpe or more, so our .25 cal pellet rifle was definitely well below the power limits.

I eventually brought it up at a meeting and got the green light.

Nice gun... and definitely within reason on power. Glad you were able to get things straightened out. These days you just don't know the intelligence of people.