• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the most stupid thing you've been told?

I was at the range one day working on cold bore shots. I'd shoot one shot and then shoot my .17 hmr for about 15 minutes, then shoot the 6.5 again. RO came over as saw me shooting the rimfire and told me it wasn't allowed. He said something similar. I laughed, told him lets walk down and look at the target, the group is just over an inch. He decided I could keep shooting it. :)

I swear to God Almighty that the principal qualification to be a fudd RO is to have an IQ below 70.

I wasn't speaking about a bullet. Please try again.
People have literally broken the sound barrier with their OWN BODIES, and suffered no ill affects.
Please.
Just.
STOP!

I’ve heard you have to zero a 50bmg on 4” steel because if you use paper it will just keep blowing it apart from the shock wave. Even a miss just blows the paper up so it’s impossible to see where you hit.
Have to zero on a house of cards instead. They’re impervious to pressure waves.

So, what do you think comprises this wave?

I think you're the one that should try again.
It's caused when the bow wave can no longer propagate upstream ahead of the body. There is a velocity transition across the shock wave that results in both higher static pressure and temperature behind the shock wave than in front, but with a commensurate decrease in dynamic pressure.

This is also called a pressure discontinuity.

This effect is widely used in aircraft engines that need top operate in the supersonic zone, and is most famously demonstrated by the still completely awesome J-58 engine with it's movable spike.

It's still not a pressure wave though. Bow wave and pressure wave refer to to 2 separate phenomena in fluid dynamics. In common use a bow wave is often referred to as a pressure wave, but this is a strict misuse of the term.

If you want an example of a pressure wave in this context, it would be the roar of the jet engine heard after the sonic boom has passed overhead.

Edited to fix a couple of typos. I hate typing on an iPad.

Last edited:
RR Olympus and and his friend, variable intake ramp, would like a word with you.
The Valkyrie got there first. The xb-70 was retired the year concorde first flew.

You also can’t really compare 60000 ft and Mach 2.04 with 85000ft+ and Mach 3+ of the A-12 Oxcart

The XB-70 and Concorde were in many ways ahead of their time, but the A-12 and SR-71 were truly something else.

It's caused when the bow wave can no longer propagate upstream ahead of the body. There is a velocity transition across the shock wave that results in both higher static pressure and temperature behind the shock wave than in front, but with a commensurate decrease in dynamic pressure.

This is also called a pressure discontinuity.

This effect is widely used in aircraft engines that need top operate in the supersonic zone, and is most famously demonstrated by the still completely awesome J-58 engine with it's movable spike.

It's still not a pressure wave though. Bow wave and pressure wave refer to to 2 separate phenomena in fluid dynamics. In common use a bow wave is often referred to as a pressure wave, but this is a strict misuse of the term.

If you want an example of a pressure wave in this context, it would be the roar of the jet engine heard after the sonic boom has passed overhead.

Edited to fix a couple of typos. I hate typing on an iPad.
Thank you for your informed response. Since we are talking about supersonic flight from a sharp-nosed object, I didn't think a bow wave would apply here. My observation was that I wouldn't want to be standing within inches of this (pic below) when it passed by. To me, the question would be whether or not a .50 BMG shock wave could carry enough energy to be deadly. I don't think it could. As I said, I think he shot the deer through the eyes.
plane-1.jpg

That we shouldn't teach kids to properly use firearms!!!

Get on board with this

Thank you for your informed response. Since we are talking about supersonic flight from a sharp-nosed object, I didn't think a bow wave would apply here. My observation was that I wouldn't want to be standing within inches of this (pic below) when it passed by. To me, the question would be whether or not a .50 BMG shock wave could carry enough energy to be deadly. I don't think it could. As I said, I think he shot the deer through the eyes.
View attachment 7564335
You don't like standing next to clouds?

Also, even mythbusters have done both the .50 cal and supersonic jet shockwaves things already.

Reactions: Tokay444
You don't like standing next to clouds?

Also, even mythbusters have done both the .50 cal and supersonic jet shockwaves things already.
If you will notice, there is a lot more happening around this aircraft than just "clouds." Look at what is happening in the water behind and 30 feet below it. If nothing else, though momentary, I don't know what that much instantaneous pressure differential would do to you if you were within inches of it. It would be interesting to see what Mythbusters said about it. I'll make the time.
US_Navy_051009-N-7559C-001_The_Navy's_Flight_Demonstration_team,_the_Blue_Angels_lead_solo,_pe...jpg

If you will notice, there is a lot more happening around this aircraft than just "clouds." Look at what is happening in the water behind and 30 feet below it. If nothing else, though momentary, I don't know what that much instantaneous pressure differential would do to you if you were within inches of it. It would be interesting to see what Mythbusters said about it. I'll make the time.
View attachment 7564546

It's an Angel flying just above the water. It is also photo shopped. I was standing 300 feet behind a Mirage the other day and could feel the heat with it just sitting there idling.

Watching the water after the plane passes there is no real effect on it at all. No waves or anything of the sort.
Here's something interesting regarding a supersonic cannon-fired shock wave. From the article:

"Maintaining a safe firing distance is important, though, since if a person is standing within 10 meters of the cannon, the shock wave could inflict permanent damage or even kill them."

Of course, this thing generates a wavefront much bigger than a .50 BMG. But, maybe along the lines of a supersonic aircraft?

Thunder Generator

Here's something interesting regarding a supersonic cannon-fired shock wave. From the article:

"Maintaining a safe firing distance is important, though, since if a person is standing within 10 meters of the cannon, the shock wave could inflict permanent damage or even kill them."

Of course, this thing generates a wavefront much bigger than a .50 BMG. But, maybe along the lines of a supersonic aircraft?

Thunder Generator
Sheesh! You still don’t get it do you? As the saying goes, you don’t know what you don’t know and you’ll never know what you are actually talking about. The ‘shock wave’ they are talking about in that article is actually the muzzle blast and NOT a shock wave caused by the cannon ball. I’ve seen a lot of pig-headed morons that refuse to give up, but never any as slow witted at yourself. Take that as a compliment.

Now, as I am convinced that you are really just trolling or truly not capable of looking this up yourself, here’s the results of both the .50 test and the supersonic plane test from MythBusters’ website:

5176E7D9-47CB-42F2-95BB-076D6D9C1574.png

Sheesh! You still don’t get it do you? As the saying goes, you don’t know what you don’t know and you’ll never know what you are actually talking about. The ‘shock wave’ they are talking about in that article is actually the muzzle blast and NOT a shock wave caused by the cannon ball. I’ve seen a lot of pig-headed morons that refuse to give up, but never any as slow witted at yourself. Take that as a compliment.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? There is no cannon ball. I am talking about a wavefront sufficient in size. The .50 BMG likely does not posses this. The supersonic jet does. That's obvious by looking at the photos. The question becomes if you are close enough to the supersonic object to feel the maximum energy of the wavefront, will it harm you.

Last edited:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? There is no cannon ball.
"Anyone within 30 to 50 meters from the cannon will feel like he's standing in front of a firing squad," said Igor Fridman, president of PDT Agro, who developed the system. "He'll feel and hear the blast, but he won't be hurled to the ground. He'll be able to run away unharmed … and that's the point of this application."

I.E to scare them with loud noise.

"To generate the shock waves, the cannon uses a mixture of liquefied petroleum, cooking gas, and air."

This is what causes the muzzle blast Lash was speaking of.

In summary...

- Sharp air pressure gradients can kill you
- Bullets of any size flying supersonic don't create powerful enough pressure gradients to kill you
- Jet engine exhaust and cannon muzzle blast can hurt/kill you
- Supersonic semi trucks flying nearby might hurt you-- jury is still out.

In summary...

- Sharp air pressure gradients can kill you
- Bullets of any size flying supersonic don't create powerful enough pressure gradients to kill you
- Jet engine exhaust and cannon muzzle blast can hurt/kill you
- Supersonic semi trucks flying nearby might hurt you-- jury is still out.
I totally agree. Thank you.

Thunder Generator
You are not getting hurt from a shock wave made by the cannon projectile. You are getting hurt by the concussive blast released by an explosion. You stand 100 yards in front of it the cannon projectile passing you by inches is not going to hurt you besides the giant shit in your pants

Reactions: lash and Tokay444
View attachment 7564546

That?
Why ifn youz under thet thar thang?
It'd suck yer teef right owt threw yer asshole, tern a man rongsideoutters!

View attachment 7564546
There’s less of a disturbance in the water than my kid’s 10hp tin boat kicks up. Are you STILL on about this?

View attachment 7564546
That condensation is caused by nothing more than a localised low pressure region in a particularly humid atmosphere.
Condensation is not unique to supersonic objects either, it will occur any time the relative humidity reaches 100%, whether that is caused by a drop in pressure, drop in temperature or increase in water vapour content.

Additionally, as the water vapour content increases, the pressure or temperature drop required for condensation to occur, decreases. Depending on the RH in your above scenario the pressure differential required to cause condensation COULD be as low as a fraction of a PSI, the human body can withstand many tens of shockwave PSI before death/damage, one paper on this is linked in the source below.

C'mon man!

One last try.

I have a bullwhip. Got it because I wasn't allowed to touch a gun for 2 years and wanted a hand held sonic boom generator. Rules of what I was doing at the time. Nothing dirty.

From my own practice with a whip and aiming correctly I could snap tiny twigs holding leaves or cut leaves. From historical examples a whip will cut skin. Some pros can cut aluminum cans open but the aftermath looks more like a rip and only through one side.

Edit: upon further reflection it's most likely not the wave doing the cutting but the popper itself moving at supersonic speeds.

To visualize better look at this.

After this can we get back to the stupid crap?

Last edited:
I have a bullwhip.

I could snap tiny twigs holding leaves or cut leaves. From historical examples a whip will cut skin. Some pros can cut aluminium cans open.

After this can we get back to the stupid crap?

I'm not sure who this was aimed at, but one last try:

Yes, objects travelling at supersonic velocities create shockwaves (there are several different types of wave and not all are referred to as "shock" waves).

No, the shockwave from your bullwhip was not what snapped twigs, cut leaves, skin or aluminium cans.

Finally, Is this not stupid crap?

Edit: Cool video though!

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? There is no cannon ball. I am talking about a wavefront sufficient in size. The .50 BMG likely does not posses this. The supersonic jet does. That's obvious by looking at the photos. The question becomes if you are close enough to the supersonic object to feel the maximum energy of the wavefront, will it harm you.

I have kin in East Texas because of WW II. I know you are a fucking dumbass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

We have reached the most stupid shit ever posted on the www......
So everyone should resume normal SH forum subsections because....

View attachment 7562002
Nothing more stupid will ever be posted; so might as well find another thread, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis
You dont have that option.
Thats for Frank and Mods only. 😉

Though I bet if you change your tune and act like a douche, you can whine and get a thread locked.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b and abn31c
I'm not sure who this was aimed at, but one last try:

Yes, objects travelling at supersonic velocities create shockwaves (there are several different types of wave and not all are referred to as "shock" waves).

No, the shockwave from your bullwhip was not what snapped twigs, cut leaves, skin or aluminium cans.

Finally, Is this not stupid crap?

Edit: Cool video though!
Thinking about it now it was probably the popper moving supersonic that was doing the cutting. Will edit.