• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the REAL story on SWFA?

I have had a few, and I honestly really like them for what they are. There may better optics out there at this point, but a 10X mil/mil that tracks for under 300 bucks. I really think its hard to beat that for a budget/starter rifle.

Their 5-20 would be pretty good around 700, but would be about the only option without zero stop. SWFA has sat out during the great scope technology race of the last decade, and it shows. I heard they are coming out with some updated designs. It will be interesting to see what they roll out.

Shot my AR with a 6xSS just yesterday. It just does what it’s supposed to. I did pop in a hose washer for a zero stop.
There are a few things on it I sorta wish were different, but it’s a $300 scope you can depend on to track and hold zero.

I have a 10x, the inch 2.5-10x32, and a 3-15x. I've owned the 5-20x previously, probably shouldn't have sold it but... They've been running these sales pretty continuously over the last year or so. It seems like they're trying to offload old stock and possibly bring out new models. But then I see where sometimes they'll say you can backorder at sales price.

I hope they do update reticles/models. As long as the reliability stays the same I'd probably buy another.

I have had a lot of SWFA scopes over the years. As I said in this same thread a few years ago, they tend to end-up on rifles I occasionally put together for family and friends because they do not usually come back to me with complaints that something does not work. I still have a couple here though. Off the top of my had, I have a couple of 2.5-10x32 Ultralights with different reticles, 10x42 Classic with side focus, one of the original 10x42HD scopes, two 3-9x42 scopes with different reticles, a discontinued SFP 3-15x42 and perhaps a prototype or two of something coming up.

If you read between the lines, you'll know what it means when a company is deeply discounting current inventory, knowing that they are absolutely not going out of business.

ILya

“If you read between the lines, you'll know what it means when a company is deeply discounting current inventory, knowing that they are absolutely not going out of business.”

You have my attention!

Reactions: Bender
“If you read between the lines, you'll know what it means when a company is deeply discounting current inventory, knowing that they are absolutely not going out of business.”

You have my attention!
A 10x42 w/ a well thought-out tree reticle would be exactly what I am looking for w/ for a couple applications, assuming the price is not being wildly increased.

Reactions: Bender
6X w/illuminated dot in the middle, keep the MQ reticle (at least for 6X), capped windage, and shorter elev. turret would be a sweet “killin’ scope”.
I do fear that anything they do at close to the $500 mark will lose out to the Athlon 2-12.
As the market is now, I’m planning the Athlon on my next hunting rig (if I ever build one). I hear they come with a free balloon!

If they just updated what they have with a capped windage, and lower profile elevation with zero stop it would be a huge improvement. Mil tree would be mo betta too.

The 3-15 FFP with the above upgrades would be hard to beat.

They are No longer producing the 1-6 HD, which makes me sad, because it’s a fantastic scope and the reticle is just pure genius. But I talked to them when I ordered my 10x HD and they said they are coming out with a replacement for the 1-6. I would assume it would be an upgrade, though I don’t know how you could make it much better.

At the sale price, the 10x HD is a seriously good scope.

John

I have had a lot of SWFA scopes over the years. As I said in this same thread a few years ago, they tend to end-up on rifles I occasionally put together for family and friends because they do not usually come back to me with complaints that something does not work. I still have a couple here though. Off the top of my had, I have a couple of 2.5-10x32 Ultralights with different reticles, 10x42 Classic with side focus, one of the original 10x42HD scopes, two 3-9x42 scopes with different reticles, a discontinued SFP 3-15x42 and perhaps a prototype or two of something coming up.

If you read between the lines, you'll know what it means when a company is deeply discounting current inventory, knowing that they are absolutely not going out of business.

ILya
What does the 2.5-10 compare to out in the market glass wise?

ILya
How long could such a company continue to function before they launched their next product? :)

A nice tree reticle (MOA of course😉) in a 2-10x32 or so and I’d buy at least 2 maybe 3 if I decide on another build or not.

They are No longer producing the 1-6 HD, which makes me sad, because it’s a fantastic scope and the reticle is just pure genius. But I talked to them when I ordered my 10x HD and they said they are coming out with a replacement for the 1-6. I would assume it would be an upgrade, though I don’t know how you could make it much better.

At the sale price, the 10x HD is a seriously good scope.

John
Anybody have more super secret grapevine knowledge on this?

I busted the illum knob off my 1-6.
They told me it was $1000 store credit.
Thinking I might just save that for whatever's coming down the pike as I have more 6x and 3-9s than I have rifles to mount them on.

Reactions: kennyg and Bender
SWFA 12X awesome scope, bright good field of view, only drawback on the reticle, only goes from .5 mil to 1 mil. All guess work in between

Attachments

• ss12x42mq-2 (1).png
    ss12x42mq-2 (1).png
    73.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230404_184459.jpg
    20230404_184459.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230321_033945.jpg
    20230321_033945.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 93
Anybody have more super secret grapevine knowledge on this?

I busted the illum knob off my 1-6.
They told me it was $1000 store credit.
Thinking I might just save that for whatever's coming down the pike as I have more 6x and 3-9s than I have rifles to mount them on.
I'd save the store credit.

ILya

If not possible to reveal specific details at this time, any chance to share what other mfg’s product/lines would compete with the new SWFA proposed offerings?

Have several current SWFA’s that have been in play for quite a long time, and looking forward to the reboot. As are many, not too patient with new product intro leadtimes.

ILya

You sure they ain't going out of business? Their website looks like they're clearing house. 50% off everything.......

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr and BCP
You sure they ain't going out of business? Their website looks like they're clearing house. 50% off everything.......
They said that they are switching gears and plan to focus on their own branded products rather than be a general purpose retailer. That's why they are clearing stuff out.

Beyond that, I have no insight into their business.

ILya

• Love
Reactions: rlsmith1
I've had 2 Ultralights -- a rimfire and a bdc -- on order since mid-Feb so I sure hope they're reloading the product line and not going out of biz.

Wonder how long before they can send those out, the rifles I had them planned for are itchin' pretty fierce at this point. Hope it's in time to play with them in the nice weather; I've got more family get-together weekends than usual planned this year and I feel like summer is going to be gone in a flash.

About time they improve their outdated scopes. They should have made improvements 5 years ago. Their glass isn't as good as some of the better quality Chinese made scopes now days specifically the Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2.

SWFA's glass seem to be well behind the times and appear to still have old school type Japanese glass. Their 20x SS is absolutely terrible. Their 16x is bad way below average and their 12x barely ok average at best and 10x decent and good not great though 6x still great. They must be using the same glass across the board in their cheap fixed magnification scopes. Their 20x is a huge disappointment. It's image quality is like looking through a really cheap sub $50 Chinese scope at 20x. I only have a sample of one in 20x but it's unacceptable for this one to even wear a made in Japan label IMHO. Speaking of cheap Chinese scopes, even the $79 Sniper HK 6.4-20x42 SAL from Amazon is clearer and brighter even cranked up at it's 20x maximum magnification compared to this SWFA SS 20x.

Last edited:
About time they improve their outdated scopes. They should have made improvements 5 years ago. Their glass isn't as good as some of the better quality Chinese made scopes now days specifically the Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2.

SWFA's glass seem to be well behind the times and appear to still have old school type Japanese glass. Their 20x SS is absolutely terrible. Their 16x is bad way below average and their 12x barely ok average at best and 10x decent and good not great though 6x still great. They must be using the same glass across the board in their cheap fixed magnification scopes. Their 20x is a huge disappointment. It's image quality is like looking through a really cheap sub $50 Chinese scope at 20x. I only have a sample of one in 20x but it's unacceptable for this one to even wear a made in Japan label IMHO. Speaking of cheap Chinese scopes, even the $79 Sniper HK 6.4-20x42 SAL from Amazon is clearer and brighter even cranked up at it's 20x maximum magnification compared to this SWFA SS 20x.
Buys a 20x and an Amazon special :rolleyes:

Good grief, clearly your rifle scopes are used chiefly for birdwatching . . .

The point of the super chickens isn't the "glass".

If you want nice "glass", buy some binoculars.

The point is that you can drag it behind a truck, spin the turrets min to max with an impact wrench, run over it with a snow machine, and it'l still track better than 3k dollar optics never having lost zero.

It's also the lightest scope that actually works. Nothing can touch the 6x and 3-9 for hard use killing rifles that get dialed at any price.

Last edited:
Buys a 20x and an Amazon special :rolleyes:

Good grief, clearly your rifle scopes are used chiefly for birdwatching . . .

The point of the super chickens isn't the "glass".

If you want nice "glass", buy some binoculars.

The point is that you can drag it behind a truck, spin the turrets min to max with an impact wrench, run over it with a snow machine, and it'l still l track better than 3k dollars optics never having lost zero.

It's also the lightest scope that actually works. Nothing can touch the 6x and 3-9 for hard use killing rifles that get dialed at any price.
I realize this but can't get over how vastly different their image quality actually is throughout their model lineups. I kept the SWFA SS 20x not even mounted onto a rifle since it gives me eye strain just like looking through an Arken SH4 just to show people that made in Japan doesn't necessarily mean they automatically have good glass.

I admit that I'm a glass snob.

Oh c’mon guys: the glass is insanely good for $2-300. I feel like you all are forgetting how amazingly cheap these are for good glass with bulletproof tracking at a reasonable weight — I’ve paid more for worse performance in all 3 areas and so has anyone who’s been buying scopes for awhile

Back before long range shooting was the cool thing to do, swfa scopes were a lifesaver to anybody wanting to get into the hobby. To get a reliable mil/mil scope regardless of glass (not to mention first focal plane) for under a grand was damn near impossible. The next step up was usually military grade and had a price tag to match. I hope swfa sticks around and updates the product line.

Damn, now I'm starting to remember/miss the old Hide full of spray painted remington .308s with tab slings, swfas, Leupolds and US Optics.🤘

A simple .308 700 with a 10x scope, more than what you need. I feel like equipment is stubbling new shooters into the sport. I was shooting the other day at the range and one dude took 60 minutes just to take a shot off at 100 because he was messing with his rig.

Anyway, hope a streamlined scopes are going to hit the shelves soon.

Well maybe I should air my concerns publicly more often: I just got a notice that I have a pair of Ultralights headed my way via UPS. Appears SWFA is still alive and kicking 👍

Reactions: rhsc
Well maybe I should air my concerns publicly more often: I just got a notice that I have a pair of Ultralights headed my way via UPS. Appears SWFA is still alive and kicking 👍

I am reasonably confident they are not going anywhere. Last time I did inventory, I had six SWFA scopes on hand: two 3-9x42, two 2.5-10x32 Ultralights, one 10x42 Classic with side focus, one 10x42HD with rear focus and one 3-15x42. I used to have a few more, but they ended up with different friends. They work and do so well and reliably. I think SWFA has been selling these for 30 years this year.

ILya

Reactions: Gohring65 and rhsc
There are still some absolute steals at SWFA on new rings and mounts @50% off.

I grabbed a couple sets of 1" ARC rings. There is a ton of Talley rings and mounts and other brands available that aren't BSA/Barska. It also looks like they stole a truckload full of DNZ mounts.

Just picked up a moa 6x for my tikka t1x. Does what I need it to do.

Well, one of the two UL scopes they sent me is the wrong one. Regular Plex version with 100yd parallax when I ordered the Rimfire one (confirmed on the invoice, the shipping notice, and the packing slip). Need it for a squirrel .22 so can’t just make it work.

Weirdly, the box says it’s a Rimfire model but it’s got the wrong scope in it. Way too blurry at 40-50yds, then checked the SKU printed on the scope and sure enough:
1686420422138.jpeg

This is the 2nd time this has happened in 5 orders with SWFA, we’ll see how they handle it (they did NOT do right by the last one and made me pay return shipping). Will be my last order from them if they don’t cover it. BDC scope is all good and will be going on an ultralight Howa Mini hunting rifle.

I have heard all sorts of stories about the origin of SWFA (old military contract that was bought up by someone, bla bla bla). Anyone know where they are made and/or have other details on the history of the company?
SWFA scopes are made by Kenko Tokina the same company that owns and produces Sightron optics.

EJ

Reactions: BCP and msgriff
Is it my imagination or did they not advertise on the back cover of SOF magazine back in the day?

Regardless, they seem to be going through late growing pains. Still ordered my 6x from them. We will see when it will show up.

I am reasonably confident they are not going anywhere. Last time I did inventory, I had six SWFA scopes on hand: two 3-9x42, two 2.5-10x32 Ultralights, one 10x42 Classic with side focus, one 10x42HD with rear focus and one 3-15x42. I used to have a few more, but they ended up with different friends. They work and do so well and reliably. I think SWFA has been selling these for 30 years this year.

ILya
They have some 2.5-10 ultralights on their web sight not marked down also. They aren't clearing out everything.

I had one of the ultralights on backorder but canceled my order after bunch of people told me they were no bueno.

How would you compare the ultralight to the Razor LH 2-10?

They’re not on par with the Razor 2-10x, but they’re a third the price and weigh 6oz less. Depends what you’re looking for. For a lightweight hunting rifle with more cash to spend, go Razor. For an ultralight hunting rifle (like my 5.5lbs scoped Howa Mini) that you’re already over budget on, it’s hard to beat the SWFA Ultralights.

You are worried so much about glass (glass perfectly adequate on the 4 swfas I have btw) but when those chinese scopes don't track and rtz what's the point? I guess you can then brag about the warranty then? scopes aren't for looking at stuff they are for aiming. Good luck finding anything comparable at the same price point.

You are worried so much about glass (glass perfectly adequate on the 4 swfas I have btw) but when those chinese scopes don't track and rtz what's the point? I guess you can then brag about the warranty then? scopes aren't for looking at stuff they are for aiming. Good luck finding anything comparable at the same price point.
The Athlon Midas Tac and Ares BTR track more reliably than the Vortex and Bushnell's and other Chinese made scopes I've used regardless of brand and price. They recently revamped and improved their turrets FYI. They're the only Chinese made scopes I've personally had 100% reliability with so far.