• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's the Value of an Maurice Ottmar Custom Rifle

jeffcycle

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Hi everyone, my name is Jeff and I am very new to this forum. I have a very, very nice Model 70 winchester chambered in 220 Swift that has the inscription "M. Ottmar - Gunmaker" written on the barrel. I am trying to research the gun and the maker. I live in Southeastern Washington State and it seems that Maurice Ottmar lived somewhere in Washington also. Any help that anyone could give me on my new rifle and the Value would be greatly appreciated. This is not your average run of the mill custom. This rifle is Very Nice. I am looking to sell it. If I knew how to post some pictures here I would. thanks, Jeff

Re: What's the Value of an Maurice Ottmar Custom Rifle

Just because I am curious, this is what I do, take a pic send to your email then go to a free pic site such as Photobucket and post the pic there then it will allow you once your on the Hide to go to enter a enter an image icon at he top left there it will ask you to enter an image pick one probably non-floating image.Then you can post the http: image as according to the free account that you choose aka photo bucket, I am sure there are 100 people here to explain it better but follow slowly and this will get you there. We hope to see what you have soon!

Hmm, that is a bit confusing and I am not that great with the computer. I sure could email pictures. Can a picture just be posted here? Jeff

all you have to do is goto a photo hosting site. i use flicker, others use photobucket or tiny pic, there are many. look in the sales section and there is a link that explains the process. you dont need to do anything buttake te picture and hook the card or camera up to the computer. then upload. there will be a line of code that you need to post. it looks like this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1284/4667729835_dbf72527f6_b.jpg

and you have to put this in front of it

and you get this

4667729835_dbf72527f6_b.jpg

try http://www.flickr.com/

its free. and yahoo gave me this on maurice ottmar.

maurice ottmar

OK, Got the pictures loaded on flickr fine but do not see an address associated with any of the pictures that I can post. Where do I find it? Thanks, Jeff

Wow, Thanks whoever helped me out there. Well this is the Custom Model 70 (Circa 1957) Custom winchester built by Maurice Ottmar. Inscribed on the barrel is: "M. Ottmar - Gunmaker" It is chambered in 220 Swift and I am trying to determine a value on it for the purpose of selling the rifle. Thanks for the help, Jeff

look at a few of the links in the yahoo search i posted above. his stuff looks to be top shelf and high dollar from the few things i read.

in flickr, goto your photostream. click on your picture. a page will come up and above the pic, it will say all sizes somewhere. click that one. after the page opens scroll down. you will see a link. it will look like the one you posted kinda, but it has to have the .jpg extension you will find after clicking all sizes. its not that hard. also you forgot the

so,

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/lazy21_photo/4722655431_b7330be160_m.jpg

should be

and its now

4722655431_b7330be160_m.jpg

also after you click all sizes, you can choose larger images than the ones you posted. look at the top of the picture for sizes

nice looking rifle. check gun broker and gunsamerica for a good source of price comparisons

love the wood on that thing. look here for more info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffcycle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, Thanks whoever helped me out there. Well this is the Custom Model 70 (Circa 1957) Custom winchester built by Maurice Ottmar. Inscribed on the barrel is: "M. Ottmar - Gunmaker" It is chambered in 220 Swift and I am trying to determine a value on it for the purpose of selling the rifle. Thanks for the help, Jeff </div></div>
ill give you 50 bucks for it.

grin.gif
just kidding, thats a beautiful piece

Thanks again for all the photo posting info. I will play with it some more after work.

I want to add a photo of the inscription on the barrel which indicates Ottmar as the Gunmaker. This is unique I think in that it appears he was the builder and stocker whereas he only built the stock for most of the rifles that he was involved in creating. Does this sound accurate?

The barrel also appears to be sleeved or a special sort of crown applied.

Jeff