• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's your favorite food and how's it prepared?

Mark williams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2013
Alabama
I saw some post on wanting a thread on this so here it is. Post your favorite meals, how their prepared and what's best beverage to go along.

I'm going to post two of my favorite. Grilled halibut with stuffed jumbo shrimp covered with Cajun cheesedip. Ingredients- jumbo shrimp filled with Cajun crab dip and wrapped in bacon, cook on the grill. Grill halibut with touch of lemon and Cajun blackened seasoning. Once done melt cheese with butter and Cajun
Spices. Pull toothpick out of shrimp , put on fish and smother with cheese and butter dip. Goes well with beer or a white Zinfandel for the ladies . Grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes with butter sauce on top . Yumm!

White tail back strap on the grill with a cheap beer poured over it.
Really? How often during in the grilling process are you pouring beer on the meat, and roughly what temp are you cooking at?

I nice top sirloin steak over a hot red oak wood bbq pit, cooked to a medium rare to medium. Well that's cooking, crack open a Coors light. BBQ some appetizers (spicy sausage, Artichoke, jalapeno poppers, or deer venison) and munch on those while cooking the steaks. Serve steaks with beans, salad and sourdough bread (cook bread with butter over the pit to perfection). Also have a nice salsa on the table. Damn I'm hungry now!

SM BBQ.jpg

Last edited:
turn left side of grill on hi turn right side to low, put meat on right side. Presoak in cheap beer, something about the cheaper beer gives it more taste. As its cooking base the backstraps till done. Just had it for dinner, im so full now.

Reactions: blister
Fried chicken, made by me. Best ever. Add mashed potatoes and sweet peas ladled into the spuds. Simple. Godamndest part of this, I used to have fried chicken parties. Those ding dongs would drive from miles away to attend. Who woulda a figured, an old gun builder causing a stir over damned old fried chicken, LOL

Wild Boar marinated two days in red wine and then braised with marinade and juniper berries. The sauce finished with some cream and butter.
Served with sweet and sour red cabbage - potato croquettes and Ligonberries (similar to cranberries).
I also love chukar partridge with a sauce I created called Peaches & Cream.

Buttermilk biscuits, fried eggs, white gravy, chocolate gravy, sausage and bacon. Served with an ice cold glass of milk.

Reactions: fox223
maybe not my "favorite", but it worked tonight. digorno cooked for a bout 24 minutes at 400deg. and a 12 pack of PBR.

Rib Eye - grilled super hot, couple three minutes on each side, then moved off the heat to finish. Corn in the cob on the same grill, shuck after it's done. Baked Tater. Cheap vodka mixed with anything.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed this fine meal...

Mussels, straight onto the bbq grill. Once they're cooked, pour a bit of hot-sauce directly onto the meat, and enjoy. Here's where I start, with the hot-sauce:
First batch, I just used simple peppers, like these:
Peppers 002.jpg

But then I learned about smoking the peppers, so my second batch started out looking more like these:
Picture 024.jpg

Once they're smoked enough, you then start to cook them down:
Picture 027.jpg(that is of course, after 'wazzing' them down in a blender, so that it is somewhat a "liquid")
After the addition of salt, vinegar, and even some lemon and lime juice, you then continue reducing until desired 'consistency' has been reached. Then, you bottle/can as you prefer!

Reactions: kabarNC
Sure. Here's a good link to get the artichokes prepared.
How to Cook and Eat an Artichoke | Simply Recipes

Boil in water for 30-40 min. Remove from water and let them drain. Place in plastic zip lock bag and place in refrigerator. If you plan on eating them that day, they must be cooled for at least 6 hrs. I always cook them the day before, this is best. Remove from zip lock and cut them in half length wise.With a knife or spoon, scrape out and discard the inedible fuzzy part (called the "choke") covering the artichoke heart.

Prepare a pan with butter, garlic salt, pepper, and other seasonings you like. Melt butter to a liquid and keep it on low. Place the artichokes on the grill to cook. We cook here on the coast with red oak wood, gives it that smoke flavor. Gas grills work just fine too. Cooking on the grill should only take 10 min. or so. Baste the artichoke with the butter mix on both sides. Be prepared as the butter will cause lots of flames. Cook for a minute or 2 and should be ready to eat. Great appetizers, they are served with a dip, either melted butter or mayonnaise. My favorite dip is mayo with a little bit of balsamic vinegar mixed in.

Try it out!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Start out with a loaf of home made sourdough bread, slice in small pieces and lightly toast in the oven, dip bread in melted brie cheese infused with mashed up garlic and small pieces of Alaskan king crab meat. The cheese stuff is also killer good on apple slices. Nibble on this whilst preparing the main course which is beef tenderloin covered with Papa Jakes spice rub, fire grill as hot as it will go, sear meat 4 min each side. While I'm doing this the wife is steaming 2 lbs of pre-split Alaskan king crab legs.
Melt up some garlic butter to dip the crab in and proceed to fill yer guts with the best damn food on planet earth!!

Oh yeah, the wife drinks a decent wine along with dinner. White or red, whatever she feels like that evening.

Start out with a loaf of home made sourdough bread, slice in small pieces and lightly toast in the oven, dip bread in melted brie cheese infused with mashed up garlic and small pieces of Alaskan king crab meat. The cheese stuff is also killer good on apple slices. Nibble on this whilst preparing the main course which is beef tenderloin covered with Papa Jakes spice rub, fire grill as hot as it will go, sear meat 4 min each side. While I'm doing this the wife is steaming 2 lbs of pre-split Alaskan king crab legs.
Melt up some garlic butter to dip the crab in and proceed to fill yer guts with the best damn food on planet earth!!

Oh yeah, the wife drinks a decent wine along with dinner. White or red, whatever she feels like that evening.

Fried chicken, made by me. Best ever. Add mashed potatoes and sweet peas ladled into the spuds. Simple. Godamndest part of this, I used to have fried chicken parties. Those ding dongs would drive from miles away to attend. Who woulda a figured, an old gun builder causing a stir over damned old fried chicken, LOL

What do you batter it with? Like to know if its not classifiedlol.

GRILLED QUAIL Clean quail and separate the legs. Cut meat off breast and place in bowl with orange juice, Worcestershire,and Italian dressing . Sprinkle mckormacks chicken seasoning and mix in. Let marinate for 2 hours. Take out both flaps of meat off of breast, put dab of cream cheese with halopena and wrap with bacon, add toothpick to hold together. Cook on medium heat on grill until bacon is done , cheese will be coming out the ends and their done. I batter and fry the legs for appetizer . Usually sip on jack and coke while preparing.

Steak. Filet mignon. Served rare. Seared at high heat over applewood, wrapped in bacon and lightly seasoned. Served with a baked sweet potato- butter and brown sugar.

Wheat beer.

Blackened Wahoo (dolphin will do). Dip in clarified butter, then give it the shake down with seasoning (Store bought or DIY - salt, black and red pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder). Drop fish onto hot griddle (over fire, grill, or cooker). One min. per side. Serve with steamed veg and a squeeze of lime.

I also love eggs over very easy with buttered Rye toast. Pop the yoke and enjoy.

M Williams, You're grilled quail breast is my preferred method for grilling dove. I'll have to try it for quail now.

For those that like a change to the typical pork chop, get a rib-in pork roast, dry rub and either smoke or grill (no direct flame) at ~275 dep. Depending on size and heat, it'll take ~4 hrs to cook. When internal temp gets to ~85 deg, start basting w/ thin BBQ sauce (preferably vinegar/pepper based). Remove when temp is within 10 deg of target. Wrap in foil and let rest for ~15 min. Slice thick (one slice/rib) and drizzle w/ drippings from foil and/or sauce. Also great topped w/ sautéed peppers and onion.
I also cook my duck this way. May even be better than the quail.

As far as wild game goes I like gamey mule deer over elk, steak seasoning of your choice just make sure that it has celery seed in it. Celery seed is a must for good meat on the grill.

My all time favorite though is dungeness crab with just a bit of garlic butter.

As far as wild game goes I like gamey mule deer over elk, steak seasoning of your choice just make sure that it has celery seed in it. Celery seed is a must for good meat on the grill.

My all time favorite though is dungeness crab with just a bit of garlic butter.

Do you add any Sage to the Mule deer meat while seasoning it? :)

I have too many favorites.
I think I could literally eat sushi every day and never get tired of it.
I love prime rib, medium rare
Eggplant parmasean
Homemade Banana Pudding
And guacamole.....it goes with everything in my book

Two favorites, any tenderloin or backstrap with garlic oil rubbed in heavy black pepper and cooked to a medium rare. Number two and the one I just ate is oatmeal pancakes, one cup Red's steel cut oats one cup water and cook as usual. Then add one cup water and one cup of Krustez pancake mix, stir it up into a mush and cook like regular pancakes. Way more fiber and very filling. I wont be reaching for food until well after lunch.

Ribeyes rubbed with with garlic salt, onion powder and fresh ground black pepper. Cooked just as hot as the grill will get. I'm not watching the meat when I grill so much as the fat. When the fat has really started melting, it's done. Add some red potatoes roasted with olive oil in the oven and some steamed sugar snap peas and I'm GTG.

Not much of a drinker anymore, so iced tea or a Coke works for me.

I have already posted my "favorite" but I sure do love to eat so it is hard to narrow down to just one meal. I also like black eyed peas with a ham bone cooked in em all day and boiled cabbage with some cornbread and oven baked fat back.

Fried crappie , filet crappie boneless , corn meal up and deep fry. Goes well with crispy southern fries, hush puppies with finely cut onions and habanero peppers. Bake beans with green peppers, onion and smothered with bacon. I usually boil about two pounds of shrimp with this meal. Fine eatin!

Ribs or briskett from my smoker with my homemade rub and bbq sauce. Served with homemade bbq beans, steamed artichokes or other fresh veggie, and homemade sourdough rolls.