• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your military-related story?

SeanRT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2008
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So there I was, laying into an E-3 for leaving his weapon at the range (FOR THE SECOND TIME!), when some other NCO told me and my budy (another E-5) that we were being too mean to the kid. As much as I wanted to tell that NCO (an E-6 or E-7) to piss off and stay in his lane, I kept my composure and took the high road...and kept yelling at private-no-brains.

What's your "kinder/gentler" military-related story?

Re: What's your military-related story?

I was running the Machine Gun matches for the MAC Region VI Championships. (MAC = Marksmanship Advisory Commettee, dividing the states into regions. Region VI consisted of Alaska, Wash, Ore, Wyo, ND SD & Idaho. We conducted our Region Matches at Ft Lewis).

One of the teams was having problems with his gun, kept jamming. I told him to step away from the line and I would fix the gun and allow him a re-fire.

Nope he kept trying, kept screwing up, and was getting really pissed. I thought his actions were a bit un-safe and again told him to back off.

He again tried to get the gun to fire, and when it jamed again he threw the gun over the berm, with a belt still attached.

Don't know if you've ever delt with a run-a-way gun, but it can get hairy.

Anyway I lost it, I grabed the guy (a young E-5) and threw him to the rear of the firing line and started pounding the crap out of him. I had to be pulled off.

I guess captains arn't suppose to beat the crap out of E-5s in the modern army.

The match director Stu Clingman (MC for Wyoming, a legion in National Guard Marksmanship, a story in itself). He witnessed the whole incident and reported I had no choice as safety of the other shooters was involved.

I disqualified the team (which happen to be from my State), and Bared that individual from any future Ak NG marksmanship events.

He filed a complaint with my boss who threw him out of the office threatening to kick is ass again just for shits and grins.

---------------------------------------------------------

Another incident, envolving AK NG MG teams. The Wilson matches were divided into two weeks, the first week was Composit, or NM M14s and NM Pistol, the Second Week was the combat matches, based on BN teams using arms room pistols rifles and machine guns.

I was shooting composit rifle so before I left I made arrangements for the MG team to draw the '60 and ammo, and found them a place to practice.

I was in the third or fourth day of the Rifle match when I got called off the line reference a phone call. Normally they take messages but it was from my States AG. They don't take phone messages from generals, they get you off the line.

It seems my MG team got bored firing at paper targets and desided to fire the MG at rail road cars going down the track.

I was 5000 miles away, guess who got in the blame.

----------------------------------------------------

Our combat teams often consisted of Eskimo Units from the Villages. Again I was shooting compostit but stayed to assist the combat teams. I went to the Little Rock Airport to pick up our Combat Rifle Team from the Nome area. I gathered the shooters and went to the baggage claim to retrieve the rifles and other gear. Here they come, down the convarier belt, 12 M16a1s all strapped together with strapping tape, no gun case, no boxes, just loose M16s all taped together. I bout lots it again on this one. The team did fairly well, despite themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------

I could go on forever with stories of my idiot shooters.

And people wonder why I don't have much of an ass today.

How did beating on the soldier make people more safe with the gun already over the berm?

Beating on people at any rank is not kosher with the modern Army. As an officer it demonstrates a lack of professionalism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)
ART. 133. CONDUCT UNBECOMING AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN

Any commissioned officer, cadet, or midshipman who is convicted of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.</div></div>

Patton got in serious trouble for slapping a soldier in World War II for instance.

The question is what if roles were reversed and the E5 beat on you? He'd be SOL, with an Article 15, possible under trial by courtmartial... that says one thing to me- that for him to be laughed out of an office is a EO complaint being disregarded, IE you are getting preferential consideration for your rank.

Had the gun actually run away, I would say you could be excused a breach of professional conduct amid a possible near death experience. That according to your story did not happen.

I was present on a range when an E4 threw a 249 end over end downrange like a golf club (pissed like this guy in your story) He was Article 15'd and reduced in rank to PFC.

That was probably the professional way to handle the situation.

I have dealt with a runaway gun (M60) breaking the belt was instinctive and worked as trained. I understand how a runaway gun could have made the situation very dangerous. That makes the concept of throwing the weapon more obviously a safety violation, however beating on him doesn't sound like it served to lower anyone's risk assessment.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Perhaps under the circumstances it worked out for the best. Maybe the soldier would prefer a beating to a reduction in rank. I don't know. </span>

Certainly it's not probably possible to further punish the soldier at this point without jeopardizing your own career.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did beating on the soldier make people more safe with the gun already over the berm?

Beating on people at any rank is not kosher with the modern Army. As an officer it demonstrates a lack of professionalism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)
ART. 133. CONDUCT UNBECOMING AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN

Any commissioned officer, cadet, or midshipman who is convicted of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.</div></div>

Patton got in serious trouble for slapping a soldier in World War II for instance.

The question is what if roles were reversed and the E5 beat on you? He'd be SOL, with an Article 15, possible under trial by courtmartial... that says one thing to me- that for him to be laughed out of an office is a EO complaint being disregarded, IE you are getting preferential consideration for your rank.

Had the gun actually run away, I would say you could be excused a breach of professional conduct amid a possible near death experience. That according to your story did not happen.

I was present on a range when an E4 threw a 249 end over end downrange like a golf club (pissed like this guy in your story) He was Article 15'd and reduced in rank to PFC.

That was probably the professional way to handle the situation.

I have dealt with a runaway gun (M60) breaking the belt was instinctive and worked as trained. I understand how a runaway gun could have made the situation very dangerous. That makes the concept of throwing the weapon more obviously a safety violation, however beating on him doesn't sound like it served to lower anyone's risk assessment.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Perhaps under the circumstances it worked out for the best. Maybe the soldier would prefer a beating to a reduction in rank. I don't know. </span>

Certainly it's not probably possible to further punish the soldier at this point without jeopardizing your own career. </div></div>

Officer's job is to supervise it’s our job the NCO to train soldiers, Army is getting away from that. The NCO core needs to step up and set wrongs right. glad no one was hurt. I hate to hear stories of our NCO's doing things like that. No one is more professional than I.

I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of soldiers. As a Noncommissioned Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as “The Backbone of the Army”. I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself

It used to mean somthing more so then now. Things like this is why we find officers more and more scanning our lane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beating on people at any rank is not kosher with the modern Army. As an officer it demonstrates a lack of professionalism.</div></div>

So...........I never claimed to be a "professional" officer, I was a soldier. I was not a very good officer, I was an E-7 when I went to OCS.

However I was known for taking care of the jr. enlisted. They loved me. I was a company commander in two different companies. I never gave out an Art. 15, I would come up with other means.

Thumping some idiot who put the rest of the firing line in danger may not be proper in todays modern army, but it worked. I had a reputation for not taking crap in weapons training and marksmanship competition. In my 35+ years in firearms training and range work I never had anyone hurt. I'll do what it takes to keep up that record.

As far as the individual, he and others think he got off better then say an Art 15 which would have cost him strips and money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patton got in serious trouble for slapping a soldier in World War II for instance</div></div>

Yeap and he also got another star and the 3rd Army, then relieved my beloved 101st Abn Div at Bastogne. Bad example.

Pusification of the Army is whats wrong with todays army.

When I went to basic (1966) I stepped off the bus and less then 20 seconds later I was smacked up side the head by my drill sgt.

I went to get a drink from a water fountain, which when I hit the button the water overshot the fountain into the floor. I got smacked up side the head, and he stated "you been in my baracks for less then a minute and already are screwing it up".

I knew then that soldiering isnt a game. Being harsh saves lives in combat and on the firing line.

It goes the other way too. The last company I commanded had 2 promotions the 3 years before I took over. I had 16 the first month.

And by the way, I have always been more interested in getting the job done then my career. Maybe thats why I retired as a Captain after 24 years but I never got anyone hurt on my range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talking out your ass</div></div>

While it should have been an NCO that delivered a good beating to that idiot, it's because of people like you that officers like Kraig have to do the work of an NCO because the NCO corps is being cut at the knees by this coddling bull shit and is slowly dying off.

I totally agree about NCOs not being allowed to do their job. Politically correct on the battlefield will get you killed! War is not a nice place and new soldiers should have "drilled" this into them.I don't know the job occupation of the soldier that left his rifle but if someone left their gun at the range TWICE they should not be allowed in a combat mos!!!

When I was in Basic in 1961, I was on the range with an M1, and shooting in the sitting position, the way I shot on the college rifle team, and the range instructor came over. "May I touch you?" he asked. "What's that about???" I said. "Some guy who had a relative in Congress complained that an NCO twisted his arm on the rifle range,showing him the correct position, and now we have to ask." After explaining that I was more comfortable in my version of the position, been shooting that way for years, and cranking out some 10s(actually, 5s back then)he just said keep it up, and left me alone. We also never went through the obstacle course, "because the logs were slippery in the rain". What crap!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talking out your ass</div></div>

While it should have been an NCO that delivered a good beating to that idiot, it's because of people like you that officers like Kraig have to do the work of an NCO because the NCO corps is being cut at the knees by this coddling bull shit and is slowly dying off. </div></div>

Does the soldier deserve an ass beating? Maybe. But that's not how the Army does disciplinary action.

I agree it is behavior I would more readily expect out of an NCO. NCO's aren't always college educated, and are sometimes rough around the edges, not always mild mannered or entirely disciplined. The Captain should have a college education, a broader training foundation and is supposed to have and exercise military bearing.

FM 6-22 [Army Leadership] Chapter 5-3
5-3. Presence is not just a matter of the leader showing up; it involves the image that the leader projects. Presence is conveyed through actions, words, and the manner in which leaders carry themselves. A reputation is conveyed by the respect that others show, how they refer to the leader, and respond to the leader's guidance. Presence is a critical attribute that leaders need to understand. A leader's effectiveness is dramatically enhanced by understanding and developing the following areas:

l Military bearing: projecting a commanding presence, a professional image of authority.

l Physical fitness: having sound health, strength, and endurance, which sustain emotional health and conceptual abilities under prolonged stress.

l Confidence: projecting self-confidence and certainty in the unit's ability to succeed in whatever it does; <span style="font-weight: bold">able to demonstrate composure and outward calm through steady control over emotion.

l Resilience: showing a tendency to recover quickly from setbacks, shock, injuries, adversity, and stress while maintaining a mission and organizational focus.</span></div></div>

Really the point to be made is why post the incident? People are human- while I've never in nine years in the Army personally witnessed an O3 beat on a soldier, I'm sure it can and has happened. But afterward, the officer should know that what happened was a mistake and should not have happened. That would seem to imply not re-posting the incident as if for a pat on the back.

i once had a PFC yell at me cause I crawled in his sleeping bag with him, hey I was F'ing cold! I had left my sleeping bag at home to allow more room for pogee snacks

And this one time, at boot camp, I was a Drill and the females were being all loud and giggly in the showers. Well being all in that ass already being red phase and all I commenced to having them do leg spreaders right there in the showers for 45 minutes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But that's not how the Army does disciplinary action. </div></div>

And one of the reasons we Don't/Can't win shit. PC has no place in the Military,... nor do ROE.
In my time if you were a fat boy, acted like a Retard, Fagot, or any other type of POS, you either stepped up, got a DD, General, or worst. We had no use for slackers, pussy's, or any other type that may have got us hurt or killed.

The Military is no place for those just looking for a pay check, an damn sure not for everyone. Recruiting based on numbers is stupid. As is promoting based on PC horse shit. Allowing those who do, to pick their turtle is the best system I ever knew. Insures that elements values, carry on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beating on people at any rank is not kosher with the modern Army. As an officer it demonstrates a lack of professionalism.</div></div>

So...........I never claimed to be a "professional" officer, I was a soldier. I was not a very good officer, I was an E-7 when I went to OCS.

However I was known for taking care of the jr. enlisted. They loved me. I was a company commander in two different companies. I never gave out an Art. 15, I would come up with other means.

Thumping some idiot who put the rest of the firing line in danger may not be proper in todays modern army, but it worked. I had a reputation for not taking crap in weapons training and marksmanship competition. In my 35+ years in firearms training and range work I never had anyone hurt. I'll do what it takes to keep up that record.

As far as the individual, he and others think he got off better then say an Art 15 which would have cost him strips and money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patton got in serious trouble for slapping a soldier in World War II for instance</div></div>

Yeap and he also got another star and the 3rd Army, then relieved my beloved 101st Abn Div at Bastogne. Bad example.

Pusification of the Army is whats wrong with todays army.

When I went to basic (1966) I stepped off the bus and less then 20 seconds later I was smacked up side the head by my drill sgt.

I went to get a drink from a water fountain, which when I hit the button the water overshot the fountain into the floor. I got smacked up side the head, and he stated "you been in my baracks for less then a minute and already are screwing it up".

I knew then that soldiering isnt a game. Being harsh saves lives in combat and on the firing line.

It goes the other way too. The last company I commanded had 2 promotions the 3 years before I took over. I had 16 the first month.

And by the way, I have always been more interested in getting the job done then my career. Maybe thats why I retired as a Captain after 24 years but I never got anyone hurt on my range.

</div></div>
Kraig I and many others, I'm sure, are thanking you for your diligence. Enough of this namby-pamby bullshit way of "let-talk-about-our-feeling" and "how does that make you feel" CRAP.

Right of wrong? Who the hell ever decided that "right" was this way and "wrong" was that way, without taking the whole concept into consideration. Too many laws/rules/regulation/procedures nowadays are written, because of the inane basis of "it was <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">right</span></span> in this instance, ergo it must be <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">right</span></span> in all. Make it so..."

the word "right" being symbiotic with "correct", of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really the point to be made is why post the incident?</div></div>

Ummm, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree but wasn't that what was asked by the OP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your "kinder/gentler" military-related story?</div></div>

Here's your "Time out Card".....................Did they really have those???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here's your "Time out Card".....................Did they really have those???
</div></div>

Yes, but with the last story I heard about them...The Drills made them turn the cards back in.
grin.gif

My favorite was the 5'3" 280 lb. pregnant wildebeast in full camo and with a sidearm working security at the main gate of the AFB here on "elevated alert status".

You could tell by her boot laces she couldn't bend over to tie them. Our "first line of defense" would have had her water break if she stepped off the curb too abruptly.

That "FAT Boy" program is a pet peeve of mine. Its not about if you can do your job, its whether you meet some artifical chart.

Case in point: I was the XO at Gambell (St Lawrence Island, SW of Nome. Now Alaska Natives are a different lot, they go by the elders in the village rather than rank. A boat captain or the leader of a Whale boat was king, whether he was an E-4 or E-7. I had a rather stocky E-6 that was the senior boat captain of the village. I also had a useless, wimpy E-7. I used my E-6 as the Field First, telling the acting first sgt to stay in the armory.

We had our annual training during the winter, it was Jan and I gave the company off to watch the super bowl. The E-6 requested to go Walrus hunting instead of watching the game and I had no problem with that.

Anyway, while he was out, the ice came in, and to get back to Gambell before the Monday morning formation he dragged his boat a half mile over ice. These boats arn't little. The guy was tuff, Barrel shapped but he was rock solid, and strong, but best of all he knew how to soldier. He knew his job, did it, and kept the other guardsman in line.

Now comes the fat boy letter, he was too ahort for his hight. He was kicked out of the guard leaving me with this useless E-7 who could bearly suppervise the morning coffee making.

I'm glad I got out in 1990....had my doubts but the horror stories of the new kindler, gentler military scares me.

My last day of active service,
My aunt come to Cherry Point to git me.
She says while driving,looking in rear view mirror,Whats that thing?Its flying strait up,and off in a ditch we went.
It was a Harrier,dont know if it was a then new model or not ,but it was a trip getting out of there with my aunt....

How about new Soldiers reporting to units unable to pass the APFT or weapons qual.... WTF?

I dont have much love for the Army anymore when it comes down to the peeps. Good intentions but somehow shitheads still run through and give everyone a bad name...

When I was in they were cleaning house on overweight and PT issues. Now you just dont get promoted. Sure it works out and I was in with a cat that kicked off due to PT issues. The problem was they gave him the boot and he was a helluva soldier by far one of the best soldiers in the company. Just had PT issues. Always a sit up short or few seconds long on a run...

Now as far as Stories, there was this one time when 3/4 of the peeps in my platoon ended up in the clink at the same time for having a bit to much fun. But the best story involves turning in our Abrams A1's to get the A2 SEP's and while doing so someone thought it would be faster to bust the track on both sides of the unit at the same time at the back of the motor pool. I have a picture of the aftermath hanging in my garage to remind me of the fun times....

All I can remember is hitting the beach all around the world, making love, not war.

E-4 filed an IG complaint because I told him he had to take leave if he wanted to pursue training for a part-time job.

Griff,

You're posting CURRENT Army doctrine. Your exercise in regulation jurisprudence doth fail much, in the context of the story's age.

Ask Kraig politely what year that took place and then look up the regs from that year for any validity to your argument in the context of the story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">talking out your ass</div></div>

While it should have been an NCO that delivered a good beating to that idiot, it's because of people like you that officers like Kraig have to do the work of an NCO because the NCO corps is being cut at the knees by this coddling bull shit and is slowly dying off. </div></div>

Does the soldier deserve an ass beating? Maybe. But that's not how the Army does disciplinary action.

I agree it is behavior I would more readily expect out of an NCO. NCO's aren't always college educated, and are sometimes rough around the edges, not always mild mannered or entirely disciplined. The Captain should have a college education, a broader training foundation and is supposed to have and exercise military bearing.

FM 6-22 [Army Leadership] Chapter 5-3
5-3. Presence is not just a matter of the leader showing up; it involves the image that the leader projects. Presence is conveyed through actions, words, and the manner in which leaders carry themselves. A reputation is conveyed by the respect that others show, how they refer to the leader, and respond to the leader's guidance. Presence is a critical attribute that leaders need to understand. A leader's effectiveness is dramatically enhanced by understanding and developing the following areas:

l Military bearing: projecting a commanding presence, a professional image of authority.

l Physical fitness: having sound health, strength, and endurance, which sustain emotional health and conceptual abilities under prolonged stress.

l Confidence: projecting self-confidence and certainty in the unit's ability to succeed in whatever it does; <span style="font-weight: bold">able to demonstrate composure and outward calm through steady control over emotion.

l Resilience: showing a tendency to recover quickly from setbacks, shock, injuries, adversity, and stress while maintaining a mission and organizational focus.</span></div></div>

Really the point to be made is why post the incident? People are human- while I've never in nine years in the Army personally witnessed an O3 beat on a soldier, I'm sure it can and has happened. But afterward, the officer should know that what happened was a mistake and should not have happened. That would seem to imply not re-posting the incident as if for a pat on the back.
</div></div>

I was in what was the best squad Leader's School in the Corps, the "Small unit Leadership Course (SULC School) in K Bay. It was really demanding and we lost like 35% of selected volunteers before the end.
Well, during a long couple weeks in the field doing Practical Ap at Kahuku we were moving across a open area and took fire from a machine gun up on a plateau above. The lead squad took cover and returned fire. I was the sq ldr on the left, and took my guys around in a envelopment. We moverd into a ditch flanking the gun and I deployed them. I had a smoke grenade and a practice frag. So I pulled the pin and threw the frag, which landed about 3 feet behind the gun Perfect! I tossed the smoke, and we assaulted with all appropriate violence. I moved up to the gun crew laying and playing dead behind the half moon of sandbags, and shoot each one a couple times to make sure they were dead, then turned reoganize the squad.
A instuctor yelled "Your dead!" to me. I strongly disagreed! I turned back and saw my frag roll out from the armpit of one of the "dead" aggressors and go off!
Turns out in my excitement of the attack and running uphill in defilade to a perfect position, I forgot to unclip the safety clip from the fuze! So after the smoke blew over the guy picked up mu perfectly thrown frag and made himself a booby trap that dislodged it when he got "shot".
They made the rest of the squad carry me about 300 yards uphill on a poncho to a "constructive medevac". They were pissed. I was declared the only casualty.
I never forgot that reminder about "Thumb Clip/Pull Pin" again, and reinforced it with my troops ever after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My favorite was the 5'3" 280 lb. pregnant wildebeast in full camo and with a sidearm working security at the main gate of the AFB here on "elevated alert status".

You could tell by her boot laces she couldn't bend over to tie them. Our "first line of defense" would have had her water break if she stepped off the curb too abruptly.

</div></div>

That was your baby, wasn't it?

1911fan

In 1988 or so the C Company Mortar platoon Sgt (SFC if memory serves) came home to find the MP's at his house, all his basement windows shattered.

On base housing.

His son had pulled the ignitor string on an artillery simulator that he had in his basement..

SFC Mew I think his name was, or Meow...

They promoted him to E-8 and sent to Battalion hq.

Got to Hotel 2/3 in late 1968. Got issued four mags for my M16, medium jungle utility pants(my waist size was probably about 29) that had the fly ripped out, no jungle boots. Seabees were building something nearby, so I went down there to steal mags. Got to shooting the shit with a petty officer and ended up telling him I came to steal mags from his detail. He pulled all of them in and each gave me a mag or two. When I got to my squad I had enough to give some of the guys a mag.
Squad leader finally told me "if you ask for jungle b. again, I'm going to beat the shit out of you. Couple of nights later a guy in my squad was saying his wife was out in the jungle and we,the squad, ended up sitting on him and he was still moving out with us on his back. Tied him up for a medevac the next day. The next morning I asked the squad leader to try to get jb's to be brought out on the medevac. He asked the "nut", what sized boots do you wear? I traded my stateside boots for his jb's. Thank god his were a little bit big for me and not to small. Wish I could find him to thank him and appoligize for switching boots while he was tied up.
Later my company commander announced that there were not enough helo's to resupply us with a full complement of meals, so we were only going to get two C rats per day. We were dug in inside the DMZ and the company cp had a pallet of Lurp rats (dehydrated long range patrol rations, like the current backpacking meals)sitting next to it. Ended up stealing a case of Lurps, and the last week we were up there in the monsoon we got one meal a day for four days and then nothing for three days before we got picked up. Hadn't had a firefight yet and the Marine Corps is well on the way to killing me, or starving me to death.
You want to hear the story about the dry season with no water?
Dear god I love the Marine Corps.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

I could tell ya but even you wouldn't believe it.

I had Army basic in 68, most of us draftees, some skinny guys, some fat.
The Drill Sgts. were tough as hell on the fat ones.
More PT and reduced rations trying to knock some lard off their asses.
We had one guy that looked fat but could always keep up with everyone else but this one Sgt. Wilson was on his ass hard in the mess hall and making sure he got short"Fat Ass" rations.
In about the 2nd. week the guy was bitching about starving to death and told Sgt. Wilson he needed more chow.
Wilson told him he was too fat and would drop on a long run.
The guy told Wilson he could run his ass into the ground and bet him that if he couldn't he wouldn't bitch anymore.
The run was on that afternoon after training with Wilson sure he was going to make this guy look bad and giving him all kinds of hell, The guy told Wilson to just keep up with him since he was so sure of himself.
They took off running and the big guy kept slowly increasing the pace, around and around the parade field they went with the whole company looking on.
After about 10 laps around the field going faster and faster, Wilson was lagging back and the big guy would circle back around him and sprint by and holler"You had enough?"
Wilson finally just ran out of gas and stopped on the side of the field away from us.
The big guy came back around and picked Wilson up in a fireman's carry and came running toward us full tilt and set Wilson down. He was breathing hard but could have gone a lot further I am sure.
He got full rations from then on and no more shit from Wilson.
Although he looked fat, it was all solid muscle.
His family were lumberjacks in the NW and all he knew all his life was hard work. I think he was the strongest person I ever met in my life. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Regards, FM

Well, considering shit always rolls downhill, whatever the E5s mess up, eventually come down on us. I hate it....

anyways. last drill I loaned my helmet out to a soldier from another company. Can't remember his effin name... me being nice me. I told him 'Y*** from D CO ok? don't forget my fucking helmet! i'll be looking for you!'

well couldn't find the kid.... so now I gotta buy a damn ach helmet off ebay because I never got mine back.

I saw a E-5 do something smart. he took their DL as collateral. I'm gonna tell them to give me their DL while they use my shit from now on...

there goes me 200-300 bucks for being nice.

ummm... stories from basic

we had a kid that wanted to get out so bad he claimed himself gay. the DS didn't buy it... well eventually he started groping us in the showers and got beat up pretty bad. he was gone after that. they put him up in reception (is that what it was called?) for a while I heard.

Also this happened before my class started...

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/05/army_barracks.stabbing_052308w/

Foul Mike - we had a guy like that in BT.

Cept this guy was 300lbs of muscle, DI White was 155 wet.

DI Bet him $20 he could take him - and he did, that was one Bad-ass DI!

Taseal - When I was down at Ft Greely doing work with 12th grp - Mine fell off my pistol belt (Unsnapped), went RIGHT the F under the Duece and a half tires, CRACK, CRUNCH...

I had to buy one too - sucked man..I think it was $180 at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we had a kid that wanted to get out so bad he claimed himself gay. the DS didn't buy it... well eventually he started groping us in the showers and got beat up pretty bad. he was gone after that. they put him up in reception (is that what it was called?) for a while I heard.

</div></div>
WE had a guy join our Plt as a boot. He was there a couple months, young and goofy like most of us were when FNG Pvts. We had our circles or friends and guys you went on Liberty with. he had to find his own for after work.
So after a couple months he goes UA The rest of us were denied Liberty for a couple weekends "until he came back". We had no idea where he was. Finally they told us if we brought him back we would get a 96. That evening we went on the Liberty bus to Waikiki and a block from the park we walked by him squatting down next to a bench with two old men on it. We turned around walked over and said "Synder, you're a deserter." One of the fat old white eguys saus "He's not a deserter until 30 days". We said go fuck yourself, grabbed Snyder under the arms, lifted him up, and walked him back to the MP's in the park at Ft DeRussey. We told them his status, they locked him up, and we walked off and partied.
A few days later he's back in the squadbay. He promised not to go UA again. He told commmand he was homosexual, and they didn't believe him. He called the fat old chickenhawk on the bench, who came in to the interview with NIS. The guy walked in they embraced and kissed, with tongue, and sat down holding hands. They answered all questions, and they were believed.
The Captain looked ill when he came back from that. The First Sgt looked oddly excited, in my opinion.
The three of us never did get our 96s. I suspect they would have preferred he stayed lost until after we deployed.

OEF VII, Night time patrol for Bagram and the local apartments outside of the gate. 0130 hours local time, July 27th( two days before my birthday...thats how I remember that date):
"I need six guns!"
SPC Aqua Johnson: " I got teh SAW Sergeant, and I got your back!"
PFC - SPC Big Loud oh man we are teh baddest ass muhfuckahs to evah walk a zone: "uh Sawg, we goin OUTSIDE!?!?! It's NIGHT TIME! We ain't goin out the wire AT NIGHT!"

"You goddamn coward motherfuckin maggot sons of bitches get your godddam gear on and get ready to roll the fuck out!"

"hell no sarge, we ain't goin!"

"Johnson, hold my rifle!"
"Sure Sergeant, what are you going to do?"
"I am gettin gready to kick some serious ass on teh five toughest men in the army who yesterday were so tough that they were the baddest thing in theater. You pussies ready for your ass whoopin?"

"Sarge, you can't do that..."

"It's your asses or I will fucking court martial each and every one of your pussy asses for cowardice. It's a goddam ville for Christ sakes, haj is fuckin A asleep! Now you got a choice. I whoop your sorry asses or you all take a goddamn court martial, but mark my words, you WILL walk this patrol with me or be bloodied and still walk, you get me!?!?!"

Aqua J: "You motherfuckers are teh sorriest pieces of shit I ever seen! Talkin all that smack and nothin more than a bunch pussies. Fuuuuuuuuuuck me runnin!"

"Comen J, let's roll,leave these coawards where they stand...fuckin ass pussy motherfuckers, goddam bitches!"

We walked maybe ten feet, then I hear teh scufflin adn up they come.
"Uh Sergeant, you won't kick our asses or court martial us for being cowardfs will you?"
"Depends, ladies, on how you all redeem yourselves on this little walk in the park. It's simple really. Everyone is asleep. You see someone up looking at us, you stop that fuck and get his card or lock him down. You ARE bad asses, right?

"uh yeah sarge, uh, we're sorry, we aren't pussies, just we never thought we would have to do night patrols an stuff..."

Those younf Soldiers, and that Speedy Four AJ were the tightest patrol unit I had...probably ever. Once I showed them how to act, what to do, it was easy. They would fight the entire crew to go on those patrols, and Aqua Johnson, well, that was the best ever SAW Gunner I ever knew, adn she was tougher than most men I have eveer known, had more heart, and a wicked tatted body to boot. Not only was she a damn good Soldier, she was probably(maybe it was just the time) one of the hottest black women I have ever known. All I know is her and that gun were fuckin A sexy!

I am in the Air Force.. you don't want to hear my kind and gentle stories. NCO's are cut off at the knees and I deal with a bunch of cry baby bitches every day... teamwork? WTF is that anymore...

My 80+ year old grandfather still works harder than most of the idiots I work with back on the farm but the complaints never stop from people around here when they have to do anything.

I feel like I am just becoming the "old angry guy" around here but I dont know WTF the new kids are thinking. Do they all want a free damn paycheck?

Ugh.

So there I was...

I was on an AOB in eastern Afghanistan(which will remain un-designated) about to take a shower. My ritual is, I walk to the shower in my towel with my shower bag, disrobe while the shower warms up and drop some dumpage. I use the last stall in the row of shitters. To paint the picture for you, there is a narrow passage that is lined with showers on the right, and shitters on the left. There are curtains the cover the shitters for doors and the walls are hard, like public shitters at a rest stop or restaurant. The distance from the showers to the shitters accross the the passage/walk way is less then 3 feet. I look down to check if anyone is in my shitter and I see no feet. Without further ado, I turn my shower on, take my towel off, so I'm wearing nothing but a smile and a beard, then walk to the last shitter and whip the curtain open. BAM! Not 3 inches from my wiener is a Major from the follow on group visiting for their pre-deployment sight survey, leaning forward while he is already performing the task that I plan on doing in that same very seat! "WOAAAHHHHH" he yells and I jump, "AHHH!" "Watch that thing, your gonna poke an eye out!" I was just as scared/shocked/surprised as he was.

A few months later when we were back at where our TF was based out of to fly home, I saw him back in country. I go to my buddy, "Hey man, see that Major? Yeah, he's seen one up close."

Subic Bay, PI. Need I say more?

Ts.jpg

Yes Rob. Oktoberfest!
grin.gif

Munchen_Oktoberfest.jpg

3965446479_24a898820e.jpg

oktoberfest-munich-2010-1.jpg

Oktoberfest_46.jpg

munich-oktoberfest-2010-girls-kissing.jpg

Oktoberfest_Wiesn_Dirndl_Sexy_089.jpg

Oktoberfest-girls-2009-1.jpg

l7mog5w8k200vl1y6sce.jpg

Nice but did they have monkey meat stands?
wink.gif

TerrysBBQ.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice but did they have monkey meat stands?
wink.gif

</div></div>

Monkey meat? You worry me Rob, but go and do your own thing.
wink.gif

BTW I'm a currywurst type of guy. Add french fries and enjoy.

Just this past weekend, drill weekend, I had this cadet come up to me and tell me I was to harsh on the lower enlisted because I was yelling at one of my fuzzy patches. Keep in mind said fuzzy had just almost backed the hummvee into the fuel point even though I was ground guiding him forward, had been not following directions enroute to said fuel point and then later left his rifle leaning up against his tent with a rag stuffed up inside the magwell. I just uh huh cadet, I'll take that into consideration.

I didn't smoke fuzzy, his team leader may have, but I did tell him to consider what would have happened if his unsecured weapon had been used to kill other soldiers and how if that had happened I would personally take him to the families of those killed to look them in the eye and tell them why their loved ones were dead.

Next time though, he makes any of those mistakes again in the future, oh boy, I got the perfect smoking all planned, I've had it planned for months, just waiting for the perfect situation to implement it.

Coast Guard Boot Camp...1999. Our Company inherited a guy from the Company in front of us. He couldn't swim. Yes. Joined the Coast Guard not knowing how to swim. And instead of processing him out they just kept him at boot camp 'till he learned. We got him swimming and he graduated with us.

Coast Guard Boot camp is Cape May, NJ. I enjoyed my stay from Jan - Feb. And apparently if it gets to cold you don't have to do Company runs...

I don't have any pussified stories after boot camp. Had a few Chief's who loved to tell you all about how pussified we were though. Old salties! They were awesome to work for.

Dave

Years ago, we were shooting rifle at the Wilson Matches (NG Championships). We had heavy rain though out most of the week. Being wimpy Alaskans we stayed in AC motels instead of baracks.

After supper we were driving back to match head quarters to check the Crying Sheets. Driving by the golf course in pouring rain, we see some poor sumck walking toward match headquarters.

The driver, one of my Air Guard shooters stops to offer the guy a ride. As we start up again, the driver asked the soggy walker how he did at 600 yards (in the heavy rains). He replies "600, I dont' shoot 600, I'm a pistol shooter".

The driver locks up the brakes and screams "out" and sets the pistol shooter out in the rain and continues on to match head quarters.

The rain reminds me,we were out in the field for a long time,shitty weather,lotsa rain.One morning this guy refuses to come out of his 2 man tent,refuses everybody,squad leader,platoon sargent,company gunny,well thats as far as it got,the gunny had some of us jerk him outta the tent and hog tie him with comm wire,on his belly,neck feet and hands tight until a jeep took him back to base,BCD see ya.That was probably 1974-75 training at Camp Pendleton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice but did they have monkey meat stands?
wink.gif

</div></div>

wink.gif

BTW I'm a currywurst type of guy. Add french fries and enjoy. </div></div>

*Redman brought me back a monkey skull for my daughter! Does that count? LOL
Actually had to have permission to bring it in country, from the tribal leader.

Daughter loves that and her alligator skull - not sure why...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good idea rero; have a thrashing session planned beforehand. </div></div>

People are so concerned these days with dehydration, so I figured I'd work it into the smoke session:

I'd set two 2 liter bottles full of water up about 25 meters apart with a canteen cup next to each. Then I'd have the individual go from one to the other, filling the cup up with water and drinking it each time. But going from one point to the other would be a series of low crawls, high crawls, sprints, iron mikes, bear walks, crab walks, alligator walks.

If the individual spills any water or pukes, the bottles get refilled and we start all over again until all 4 liters are consumed successfully.

Its a variation of what they did to us in basic where we had to down a canteen, run up to the parade field (C 2-58, Benning), back down, refill the canteen and repeat it all over again. That was done until everyone in the company had puked at least once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, considering shit always rolls downhill, whatever the E5s mess up, eventually come down on us. I hate it....</div></div>

What are you going to say when (if) you sew on sergeant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice but did they have monkey meat stands?
wink.gif

</div></div>

wink.gif

BTW I'm a currywurst type of guy. Add french fries and enjoy. </div></div>
They had those stalls/stands on the street in Olongapo just like hot dog carts here. The meat was on skewers in trays. They'd splash on some teriyake sauce and cook it up on hibachis. Very tasty, and the heat killed any parasitic worms. The rumor was it was monkey meat, but that was never confirmed. The Negritos up at the JEST school taught us to shoot them out of the trees with slingshots using .45 slugs form the pistol range berm. They are hard to get for anybody, and supplying enough for all the stands is IMO unlikely. But the rumor persists to this day, i'm sure.
I was in Olongapo/Subic City 6 times. Fun place. I only caught the Clap there twice, and never fell in Shit River, which was quite a accomplishment until they put up the fence on the bridge. The Navy gave me a ribbon for my responsible social hygiene, but I only wore it at Formal occasions, Like Birthday Balls or formal Mess Dinners, where it would be recognized and properly appreciated by fellow Magsaysay crawlers

Yeah "Monkey Meat" was one of those generic terms. Probably wasn't. I was stationed there for 18 months at A Co Marine Barracks from 12/86 to 6/88. Then got to go back on West Pac in the spring of 89'. Was a great place to be stationed at.