• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your take on Vihtavuori powders?

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
I've been hearing nothing but good about their powders for years, so I finally bought 8lbs. of N140 for my 308 in bolt and M1A. I notice it doesn't produce top end velocities, so it must be clean and accurate? What is the big appeal? I found it was more expensive, but it was available!

I've used the 500 series for about 4 years, I love it. Some temp sensitivity, not bad, great lot to lot consistency. VV 20N29, extremely temp sensitive, up to 3 moa at 1600 yards, 40 degree swing, dropping another 30 degrees, the shift would be off the charts.

The drawback to these powders is price, we have no idea how Lapua will handle it, but the 500 series powders seem destined for a 40.00 price tag. That's about a 100% premium, no powder is that magical!

I really like the VV powders with the exception of price.

The pistol powders, medium burn rate rifle powders, and 500-series double-based powders have done me very well.

40 brass looks almost unfired using N320, whenever I can find some I'm going to buy 2 cases 4lb jugs

I don't shoot high volume, but when I shoot its almost always Viht powder. I find it to be clean burning and almost always able to get what I want out of a given cartridge. I have used N110, N120, N130, N133, N135, N140, N150, N160, N165, N540, and N560. Luv this stuff.

Good stuff. But I stopped using it as it's not good enough to be worth the premium over other good stuff on the market. I had good results with their double base in .223 - helps wring out a little more velocity for high power service rifle.

Viht powders are very good and pretty much what I use exclusively - from 17 rem up to 50 bmg. N140 is superb in .223 69gr bullets, and the light to medium in 308. When I get to 175 gr I switch to N150 which gives better velocities. N160 is an excellent substitute for H4350 and works well in .260 (as well as .243). N165 for .300 WM and N170 for .338 (and 50 cal tracer). Buy more, maybe the price will come down! (I still bet it's cheaper to buy in the US than it is here in the UK....)

Fed up of not being able to find Varget so picked up a tub of N550. It will be interesting to see how it does in my .308

N110 has done very well in my 300 whisper, but that is the only one I have ever used. i got a good price on it… Luckily. I have seen it go for 60 dollars per pound in LGs around here lmao. A bit too rich for my blood.

I use nothing but Vihta.

I can highly recommend N540 for .308 and 30.06. And N560 for .300WM.

Powder Valley has 100 series and some 300 series right now. That's my take!

It's great powder but its so expensive and hard to get around here

Extremely high quality powder with amazingly low lot to lot variation, seems to burn cleaner than other powders and is less finicky about primers. Downside is that it is high priced and hard to get. I used vvn135 in a 308 with great succes