• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

What did they determine caused all the problems?
In the end , they swapped out the pcm and recoded it. Took all of about an hour or so to do said repair. Not sure why they didn’t catch that sooner, but the truck got a whole slew of new parts prior to the pcm swap. Guessing when someone up there steps in, people start paying a little close attention to what’s going on? Just left the dealership with a few vehicle quotes to mull over.

In the end , they swapped out the pcm and recoded it. Took all of about an hour or so to do said repair. Not sure why they didn’t catch that sooner, but the truck got a whole slew of new parts prior to the pcm swap. Guessing when someone up there steps in, people start paying a little close attention to what’s going on? Just left the dealership with a few vehicle quotes to mull over.
I was stuck in Miami one year when my freightliner broke down for a week. They tried everything, including a new ecm. My shop told me to pull apart one particular plug on the firewall and clean out all the holes with a toothpick and put it back together. 7 day, $12k in parts, and a toothpick fixed the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ Nice thing was the computer came wide ope , all the power, all the speed that the Detroit was capable of. 90+ across gator alley and made the best fuel mileage that truck had ever made.

I was stuck in Miami one year when my freightliner broke down for a week. They tried everything, including a new ecm. My shop told me to pull apart one particular plug on the firewall and clean out all the holes with a toothpick and put it back together. 7 day, $12k in parts, and a toothpick fixed the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ Nice thing was the computer came wide ope , all the power, all the speed that the Detroit was capable of. 90+ across gator alley and made the best fuel mileage that truck had ever made.
Funny, but not funny being stuck for sure.

Maybe just dealership bullshit, but the service manager told me that chrysler had to approve and release a pcm for the ecodiesels. Didn’t make sense to me but I my waders were full already so couldn’t take anymore shit that day, just walked away.

Got to walk up on this dude last Friday. Made it home yesterday, just in time to spend all morning running a chainsaw cleaning up after Zeta.

Not nearly as much fun.

1604016302206.png

Having access to no e fuel is nice. Even if it is lower octane. The only access my dad has to it is the $20/gal stuff that you can get at stores. He's in North houston and it's not available at a pump. His 4 carb motorcycle doesn't do well on ethanol and he doesn't get out with it enough cause of back, neck, and cluster headache medical crap.

We have one place here across the ridge from me that has 90 no E. A little over $3.50/gal

I have searched the OPE forum reference for higher octane and location. No luck in South Appalachia that I can see. Many on the list no longer carry.

If you know, let me know.

E

• Wow
Reactions: nikonNUT
It ain’t cheap, but I buy and mix avgas from the local airport for my stihl engines. 99.6 minimum octane number (MON). Woodchuck and firewood hoarders thread talked about it last winter.
Check and see if the local airport has an airframe shop. Sometimes when they work on skins they drain the tanks, and might sell you some at a lower price since they can’t reuse it in the aircraft. That was the case when I worked at an airport, but that was over 20 years ago

We have one place here across the ridge from me that has 90 no E. A little over $3.50/gal

I have searched the OPE forum reference for higher octane and location. No luck in South Appalachia that I can see. Many on the list no longer carry.

E
Here is a web site I have used for a few years when out pounding miles on the bike.

Reactions: powdahound76
We received a scant inch of snow last night, no wind, it came straight down. Normally I'd have my firepit tarped over by now, but I couldn't find the tarp and refused to buy a new one. So yesterday I was rummaging through some sheets of plywood in the shop and there it was, hiding in a corner. Middle of next week is supposed to be in the mid 60's with sun and light wind, get it tarped and staked then, after one last fire.
20201030_102811.jpg

This is called "Snow on the Mountain" (I think?). This summer it was suggested to me that it be pruned to the ground, not only for the health of the bush but also to avoid all the snow it catches and holds close to the house. This task will get crossed off the list same day the pit gets put to bed. Bunnies will have to find some other place to hide.
20201030_102844.jpg

Another quiet autumn day in Upper Dakota.

Last edited:
I was just gonna suggest that pure-gas website.
My regular shop that had it closed, so I found a new one local to me with it for all my small engines using that website.

I think its @tnichols who was using av gas, as he thinks he can fly or something. 😉

Sucker seems to run a saw a bit too, based on his wood piles.

Fwiw I buy race gas at a local drag strip. My high compression dirt bike requires it, and I've found it can sit all summer in the snow blower and all winter in the lawn equipment with no special care whatsoever and all is well when I go to start up next season.

Reactions: tnichols
My new maxim hatebrake just showed up. Going to put it on my 7.5 inch Robinson xcr pistol this afternoon.
20201031_133831.jpg
20201031_133812.jpg

I was just gonna suggest that pure-gas website.
My regular shop that had it closed, so I found a new one local to me with it for all my small engines using that website.

I think its @tnichols who was using av gas, as he thinks he can fly or something. 😉

Sucker seems to run a saw a bit too, based on his wood piles.
I think @tnichols uses avgas as cologne.

At a supperclub... (It's a Midwest thing) the band is oblivious to the fact that people go to the bar in part in joking appreciation. Hell of a rug on the singer...Loving it! I actually think they might be in on the joke the longer I am here. They played Bruno Mars for God's sake.
20201031_214806.jpg

Last edited:
Fwiw I buy race gas at a local drag strip. My high compression dirt bike requires it, and I've found it can sit all summer in the snow blower and all winter in the lawn equipment with no special care whatsoever and all is well when I go to start up next season.

Gas station right on Alameda Pkwy in front of Green Mtn sports and Vitamin Cottage has ethanol free race gas too.
Thats what I get.
Plus its right near the range where I shoot pistols.

I found that and then never have to worry about my schedule lining up with the race track. 😁

Reactions: BikePilot
Gas station right on Alameda Pkwy in front of Green Mtn sports and Vitamin Cottage has ethanol free race gas too.
Thats what I get.
Plus its right near the range where I shoot pistols.

I found that and then never have to worry about my schedule lining up with the race track. 😁
Oh awesome thanks, didn’t know that! I’ll be burning up some more 110 octane tomorrow so that’s quite timely intel!

Reactions: powdahound76

E

Holy crap dude. I'm nowhere near but my local bait shop/gas station has 93 octane No E for $2.24/gal (For the fancy outboards). It's all I run in my Yaris (500 mile a week commute). I gain about 5 MPG over the crap the other gas stations sell in the little clown car!

Better make sure your jetting/ECU mapping is correct for 110.
Thanks I have. I've been building and racing two strokes for 30 years :) I'm currently jetted for straight non-oxygenated 110. I can pick up a little power by running the highly oxygenated stuff and fatter jetting, but the shelf life is really short on that and I'd have to run a big tank more often, so the extra range and the 110 work well.

Fwiw compared to pump gas standard 110 (VP c12 or Sunoco purple) likes slightly leaner jetting, but it's really forgiving.

Reactions: Sieg
Here is what "my view" looks like every Saturday and Sunday morning from about 0500 to 0800. Trying to get at least 25 miles before my daughters wake up. This was taken this morning with an average ambient temperature for the ride at 28f and steady rain / sleet mix for about 90% of it...
IMG_20201101_063100306.jpg

IMG_20201101_075016085.jpg

Yesterday’s view. State Cross Country Meet in Fort Dodge. Bad news was his team finished second. They had won the previous 2 years. They are young having graduated 3 seniors from the year prior. All 3 of those running at D1 or D2 schools now. Good news was he made the podium which took the sting out of defending the title a bit. It was cool with a 25mph wind. He’s second guessing his summer training leading into this season which consisted of baseball, working for a tree service, and fishing 😂. Still small at 5’6” and 113 lbs as a sophomore.
D9404289-16C2-40CF-9448-B588F8C90816.jpeg

@gunjunkie45 - that's pretty cute! Looks like Gus won't catch Hank until about 2 at this rate..... 😁

@tnichols - thats awesome!! Ty (and his old man) should be super proud! Podium as a Sophomore at state is nothing to scoff at.
And yeah, training for that level just varies throughout the rest of the year, but never is really in "off" mode.
Running a 17.25 in heavy wind is freaking amazing. I think I can get about a 45 min 3.1 miles if its really calm and Im having a good day.... ;)

I graduated high school at 5'7" and 129. Now I am no taller, but a bit rounder..... Waist went from 29" to 31" in 22 yrs :cautious:

Yesterday’s view. State Cross Country Meet in Fort Dodge. Bad news was his team finished second. They had won the previous 2 years. They are young having graduated 3 seniors from the year prior. All 3 of those running at D1 or D2 schools now. Good news was he made the podium which took the sting out of defending the title a bit. It was cool with a 25mph wind. He’s second guessing his summer training leading into this season which consisted of baseball, working for a tree service, and fishing 😂. Still small at 5’6” and 113 lbs as a sophomore.
View attachment 7460570
I remember those days well, watching both a son and daughter run in 4 state championships each. What's really fun is when they get to do it in the snow like you have in Minnesota the first weekend in November...:oops:.

Here is what "my view" looks like every Saturday and Sunday morning from about 0500 to 0800. Trying to get at least 25 miles before my daughters wake up. This was taken this morning with an average ambient temperature for the ride at 28f and steady rain / sleet mix for about 90% of it...
View attachment 7459891
View attachment 7459892
That Santa Cruz is a sweet bike. I started out with a Specialized Stumpjumper in 1981 and ended up with a Turner as my last bike. Thousands of quiet miles in the mountains was my therapy. Go as long as you can.

Reactions: jbell
Internet pic, but went looking at this today. Jeep Gladiator Overland with an ecodiesel power plant
22D842AE-B05A-47C9-9499-438D0A8EAF42.jpeg

Reactions: oneshot86