• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What's Your View II

IMG_3351.JPG
Replacing another basement window today. Spring in Hooterville IA brings large flocks of black birds, starlings, and cow birds. So, while working on the deck this afternoon I parked the 10/22 close by. Good practice on improvised field positions. Most shots are 40-75 yards. I had quite a pile by the end of the day. My view today.

Love the laminated stock. My 10-22 wears one just like it, but with a standard Leupold 2x7 Rimfire scope, stock barrel, no bipod or stock pack.

I had that exact same scope on this rig for years. Still have it in the sitting in the box. Switched to this 3.5-10 VX-3 when it was orphaned years ago off a 223 gasser. I'm zeroed at 40 yards with Wolf Match Extra, so you can dial a bit easier with this optic or hold with the mildot ret. Good practice and good fun!

I had that exact same scope on this rig for years. Still have it in the sitting in the box. Switched to this 3.5-10 VX-3 when it was orphaned years ago off a 223 gasser. I'm zeroed at 40 yards with Wolf Match Extra, so you can dial a bit easier with this optic or hold with the mildot ret. Good practice and good fun!

Crappy indoor pic made in haste. Revolution Explorer stock, aforementioned Leupold 2x7, in a DNZ Game Reaper unimount. Strictly a critter-gitter, so no target barrel, etc.

Pic I took of the scope and mount a few years ago:

Very nice! That will work real fine for nearly all critter problems!

My rig is just a stock 10/22 Target with a Kidd 12/12 trigger. Around here, the 22's are used mostly for nightly vermin patrols...but I did notice a 22 challenge in the Bear Pit I may have to try ;).

Get that 120 up and going?

No. My appendix filed for divorce last Monday night. I was back at work Friday, so I'm doing OK, but in no rush to do more than I have to right now.

Thanks boys. I'm doing alright. I have tomorrow off and intend to shoot something, despite a big storm front coming through. Don't know if it will be the 10/22, or a 6.5, but I'll take both. Probably not up to the .338 just yet.

Thanks boys. I'm doing alright. I have tomorrow off and intend to shoot something, despite a big storm front coming through. Don't know if it will be the 10/22, or a 6.5, but I'll take both. Probably not up to the .338 just yet.

Good to hear you're doing well vh and that the surgery went off without a hitch. Probably a good idea to skip the .338 for a bit. ;) I'm damn near to the point I wanna try the .22 for the .22 challenge, damn near. :cool:

Good to hear you're doing well vh and that the surgery went off without a hitch. Probably a good idea to skip the .338 for a bit. ;) I'm damn near to the point I wanna try the .22 for the .22 challenge, damn near. :cool:

Same to you brother. Can you feel the plate with your fingers? I'm sure they'll let you make a late post to that thread.

Same to you brother. Can you feel the plate with your fingers? I'm sure they'll let you make a late post to that thread.

Still bandaged up. Starting to itch and can feel a bit of a tear from time to time but haven't actually even touched the incision spot yet. I'll take their word for it right now that the plate is there.;)

take it easy stud, dont push it one lousey bit...let it cook off all the way and then some...
shooting the 22 is the gateway drug, friends dont let friends...lol...

Out the kitchen window Friday. He and two hens were out there for several hours.
Season starts next Saturday!

BD8XdVF.jpg

I got video of him yesterday as well, but I have never videoed a hunt. I'll consider it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VXa0ey90BCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a nice view R! Looks like what us midwesterners call "out west". Where the sun is warm and the air is dry and cool.

My view today from the spotters seat calling wind for Miss Lori. She had been working in the yard, and figured she was dressed for the weather, so why not shoot. Here, engaging steel at 655 yards. Light rain, 45 degrees, and wind 9:30 at 11-12. The key to good shooting is the tacticool overalls and ponytail :)​​​​​​.

IMG_3384.JPG

I just closed the April Fools joke with this picture of the rightful owner picking up her pet.

DtAhpk0.jpg

In our neck of the woods, home for that rascal is a den on the southern face of a field terrace or under a Cedar tree. Giving him a bath...nah :eek:.

They are starting to make a comeback here. The coyotes drove them out of this part of the country 20 years ago. They still get a "pass" from me in the evening.

I had heard about this place about 15 years ago. About 18 months ago I packed up and set out to find it. To protect it, the exact location in not readily available. Basically do some research to get you in the area. You may need to zoom in to see the uniqueness. 2 sisters died a year apart. one from child birth, the other "accidentally" shot by her husband. Stones were installed in the early '60's that replaced original wooden crosses. so the stones themselves are in good shape for about 52 years old. picture with truck is to the west and others to the east. About 20 miles past middle of fucking no where.
20151127_114614.jpg

I had heard about this place about 15 years ago. About 18 months ago I packed up and set out to find it. To protect it, the exact location in not readily available. Basically do some research to get you in the area. You may need to zoom in to see the uniqueness. 2 sisters died a year apart. one from child birth, the other "accidentally" shot by her husband. Stones were installed in the early '60's that replaced original wooden crosses. so the stones themselves are in good shape for about 52 years old. picture with truck is to the west and others to the east. About 20 miles past middle of fucking no where.

I have a spot out in the woods like this that doesn't get visited often. Even many locals don't know it's there. The old apple trees in the area told me it was an old homestead out in the middle of nowhere. I'll try to get up there in the next few days.

I can't figure out what you're trying to hint. I zoomed in, but can't read any of it except the years.

The grave markers are in Russian (Cyrillic alphabet) from a failed Russian settlement. In the USA from around 1914-1917. I like to find old ghost towns. Those pictures were taking in 2015, think about how isolated the place was 100 years ago. It took me over 3 hrs to get there, 100 years ago it would have been a 2 day ride on horse back.

Last edited:
I THOUGHT they looked like Cyrillic letters, but they were too faint to be sure on my monitor. Thanks for the clarification. I almost thought there was some photoshopping done to protect identities (blurred image)

So...what's the story? The only Russian I ever understood was easy stuff like CCCP on a hockey sweater :)

Short story is a group of Russian Orthodox thought that society was becoming to big of an influence on the children so they packed up and moved to the middle of god damn nowhere that gets less than 3 inches of water annually. started with about 120 people after 3 years the last 17 packed up and left. They didn't all die there, just some had brains to leave early.
Lets just say when I go out in that area, which is a lot, I pack enough food and water for 5ish days. I have been in that area and not seen another person for 3 days. My favorite place on the planet personally.

Had to get out and about since it was such a nice day. Went for a little jaunt yesterday and today. Nothing extreme just yet, just getting out and enjoying the neighborhood.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/vDfe19e.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Z0amNMd.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jIYCk0T.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ljnqIfa.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/rtjq85y.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/rI77wDO.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/eZPpVL3.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Don't even think about it Tucker.......... :rolleyes:

Post the link you sent me as others may find it interesting as well. I too appreciate the hardships of the settlers. Back then it was get tough or die. We have it easy nowadays.

Good to see you're out and about you ornery buzzard :). Don't get that incision leakin'.

Good to see you're out and about you ornery buzzard :). Don't get that incision leakin'.

Thanks Terry. Believe me, I could feel it from time to time, but to be completely honest, it felt GOOD. ;) We'll see how I feel in the morning. This morning after yesterdays little jaunt had me thinking why'd I do that. All good. Couple more days till I get to tell the powers that be one more time that they're missing something though. Veer gave me some damn good advice to follow regarding this issue.

Nice (A)J104. how are you posting multiple pics in one post?

I know, right? It's a bitch. After you put one up you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of it, then pull it over all the way over to the right, click in the bottom right corner and hit return a couple times. That way you don't get that thingy muh jig pop up. Give it a go and be patient. You'll know when ya get it right. If that's not clear enough lemme know okay.

Just catching up here. That cemetery is cool.
When I was a kid my brothers and I were exploring a clearcut when we noticed a small patch way out in the middle that was left untouched by the loggers.
Upon closer inspection we discovered a small family burial plot which included a couple of Confederate iron crosses.
I was just thinking about that spot the other day, and now I live about 15 minutes from there. It might be a cool way to spend a Sunday afternoon seeing if I could find it again. I'm sure the plot has been logged 3-4 times since then, but hopefully the hallowed ground was left in peace.

Picture for reference.

78fed041f24f5ea7125af17a50579620.jpg