• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where are all the employees ?

You dear \sniper are the originator of this post stating you can't find good help.
I will tell you now and again go to your local hiring hall union pay your bond and get yourself a good employee.

We tried that.

The people like you are why we quit.

1. Couldn't get them to work, ever.

2. They wanted to bitch about any tool that made their life easier and increased productivity. Started fights because we run m18 bandsaws and they thought it was somehow better to use a hacksaw. This goes for damn near every power tool. We stock our trucks with $6-8k worth of m18 tools. They thought anything beyond a drill was somehow evil.

3. They were only there to get put back on the bench and go back on unemployment.

Some unions are useful. We have to maintain a state license, state accredited training, CEU's, etc. We don't have to worry that they're incompetent if they have a state license either way.

In my area, the Fire Department only hires 2 times each year. I know you have all the certs you will need, you will still probably have to go through their academy. So maybe it's not anything more than timing. Good luck!

Thanks Bull! Much appreciated! That's actually the nickname I got from my instructors during my fire academy in TX during our entanglement mayday evaluation. 🙃 I broke through some plywood and PVC pipe entanglements in order to evac once I got very low on air. Apparently, breaking through equipment wasn't needed after calling in a mayday. "Oops" 🤷‍♂️ I'm praying to get hired onto a good FD.

Fire Department typically = government - either local, state, or Federal. You may not meet the real hiring criteria that has nothing to do with skills, qualifications, etc. Suggest you try heavy industry/large process plants like Pulp/Paper, Oil/Gas, Chemical - they often have an onsite Fire/EMS/Safety team that may be a good fit

You mean I have to proclaim to be a nonbinary, asexual, social justice warrior who votes liberal and identifies as a minority in my community due to all the oppression I've experienced in the United States since 1987?

Got it. Thanks. I'll be sure to change my resume to reflect as such ;)

Reactions: akmike47
Thanks Bull! Much appreciated! That's actually the nickname I got from my instructors during my fire academy in TX during our entanglement mayday evaluation. 🙃 I broke through some plywood and PVC pipe entanglements in order to evac once I got very low on air. Apparently, breaking through equipment wasn't needed after calling in a mayday. "Oops" 🤷‍♂️ I'm praying to get hired onto a good FD.
People liked to turn each others bottles off in training, alls good until the last breathe lol

I hear getting into a FD is hard but you just have to keep looking. I just did it Vol. style.

• Haha
Reactions: ColinW
People liked to turn each others bottles off in training, alls good until the last breathe lol

I hear getting into a FD is hard but you just have to keep looking. I just did it Vol. style.

Yeah, I've got 2 years of volunteer time when stationed in Kodiak, AK and the training record to show for it. Between 13 yrs. military experience, EMT-B, 2 years of vol. time and holding all the fire certs, I don't know WTF else they're looking for. But, if you're a medic, I hear it's practically a walk-in job on the spot unless you piss off the interview panel. My gut is telling me unless I become a nationally registered paramedic, I'm fighting an uphill battle the whole way on guys & gals who write 100's on the written.

Yeah, I've got 2 years of volunteer time when stationed in Kodiak, AK and the training record to show for it. Between 13 yrs. military experience, EMT-B, 2 years of vol. time and holding all the fire certs, I don't know WTF else they're looking for. But, if you're a medic, I hear it's practically a walk-in job on the spot unless you piss off the interview panel. My gut is telling me unless I become a nationally registered paramedic, I'm fighting an uphill battle the whole way on guys & gals who write 100's on the written.
When I was first doing it I hated medical calls, then I became an EMT. I’ve heard a lot of departments will try or make you get carted if you aren’t. Also heard of guys getting stuck on a box for two years before they got any time on an engine, but it’s all here say.

Word around here for a good while was if you’re white just move along, but who knows now. Personally I don’t care what color the person coming to save me is, just come quick lol.

Personally I don’t care what color the person coming to save me is, just come quick lol.

Il take the white makes that I know didn’t catch any breaks versus all the others that are pushed through and hired to make quotes

Make them short too, they try harder

Damn! A shareholder after 2 years? Where? Ours does so after 10 years and ahem being invited in, it seems. But even that isn’t enough. We have had several people walk after 10 years and fixing to become shareholders because of the stupid amount of hours they were having to put in. When complaining to upper management they were told to just find ways to be more efficient. Lmao. Put it this way, in 2019 we did roughly 940 projects. In 2020, we did almost 3700, with literally zero increase in additional employees! Let that sink in. So the workload literally increase 3x over with no more hired help. Talk about running your people ragged. Then they want to offer me a measly 3%? Only think that keeps me going is tht coupled with my bonus it will wind up being around 12%, but damn, you can’t keep doing that to your people.
Civil engineering firm specializing in water/wastewater/stormwater in Indiana and NW Ohio. HQ in Indy. Senior level engineers/project managers with 15-20 yrs experience can buy in after 2 years if both sides are happy. At same price everyone else, including the CEO, pays. Two young ladies who just got their PE’s were just brought in as owners this month. We’re going through a 10 yr transition we just started last year.

And. We’re. Hiring!!!

ble1EqK.png

Still beats option 2 for most of them, working in your little home town Walmart, living with mom till you get some skank knocked up then moving to subsidized housing, not that living in the military isn’t kinda subsidized housing in a way anyways 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
This is absolutely true public sector union employee i.e. teachers police firefighters have absolutely no place in the American experience.

Unions are kinda BS across the spectrum, I worked for one union, for about half a decade, when I left I sent a email asking for a refund, they didn’t even respond.

For the higher functioning types, you get further negotiating for yourself vs jumping on the “no idiot left behind train”.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Unions are kinda BS across the spectrum, I worked for one union, for about half a decade, when I left I sent a email asking for a refund, they didn’t even respond.

For the higher functioning types, you get further negotiating for yourself vs jumping on the “no idiot left behind train”.
You make some valid points... When I left the Operating Engineers (HDRW) during the Jimmy Carter recession years the rule was a member had to be active for 10 years in order to be "Vested" in the pension. At about my 9 year mark construction was in the tank... So I moved on and left a lot in their pension fund.

Been in manufacturing for 25 years - not as much grey in my beard than @308pirate , but enough to know a thing or two. Simply put, I cannot recall a single instance of OSHA over-reach. I can, however, recall a few cases in which I looked into some things and discovered regulations that were based upon outdated science or where over-simplification lead to rules that were probably more restrictive than necessary.

Local regulatory entities are a different matter entirely :mad: Bunch of fuckin' petty tyrants.

Eh, corporate employers fear litigation. Local employees love authority. Its a bad combo. They will because they can.

Ive been written up for climbing a ladder over three feet without "fall protection".... a ladder that i am certified to build, and did build.. to another platform(that we build and certify) that contained fall protection.

People are assholes and love to flex the cock of authority.
See.... covid.

Shred

I used to think that but the pension after ~20-25 years, medical, you can't get that anywhere else. The thing is when you are younger you don't see the "Long Game" quite as well. They all go out and invest in F250s and boats instead of 401ks and wind up working until they are 70 hoping for Social Security to save them.

In an effort to get employees to show up, the company I work for put a temporary incentive in place for the last 2 months with extra pay & double time on Sundays. Funny part is I'm the only one that works Sunday, I made an extra 4K just showing up for my regular Sunday shift!

I used to think that but the pension after ~20-25 years, medical, you can't get that anywhere else. The thing is when you are younger you don't see the "Long Game" quite as well. They all go out and invest in F250s and boats instead of 401ks and wind up working until they are 70 hoping for Social Security to save them.
I’m actually amazed by the people that are retiring with like $600k. That doesn’t seem like near enough to me.

Reactions: deersniper
600K is good if invested in something worthwhile with dividends.

I did so much dividend shopping in 2020, lol.

Reactions: Lightning8
Be careful with the 401k. Between the stock market and the Democrats trying to tap into it like they have social security there is a danger of getting seriously fucked over.

For one most pensions suck compared to investing yourself.

For two, my retirement plans are death, I love my job and don’t like “freetime”

Costco sells a fine single malt.

Lagavulin 16 Year Single Malt for the win>>>​

You suck!!! My Costco doesn't have The Lagavulin 16 (my ATF along with Ardbeg). They have their 20+ Speyside but though I have some, it's "super sherry". Isla >> Highland >= Orkney >> Campbeltown >= Speyside >>> Lowland.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
You suck!!! My Costco doesn't have The Lagavulin 16 (my ATF along with Ardbeg). They have their 20+ Speyside but though I have some, it's "super sherry". Isla >> Highland >= Orkney >> Campletown >= Speyside >>> Lowland.

Cheers!!
Shopping for booze for Vegas for the win!!
Never liked a sheery finished scotch.
And....why would I wanna eat beef when I can dine on Elk from the Eastern Slope?

Last edited:
Dividends
Stonks
Rental income
Furniture building income
Grip making income
Sawmill income
Day job income leading to a sweet retirement

There’s so much money in this world, all you have to do is reach out and get some.
Just my opinion and I don't know anything.
Passive income is the best income.
A smart guy over 30 years ago told me to invest in the Vanguard 500...without a doubt some of the best financial advice I've ever received.

the-speyside-whisky-shop-caol-ila-caol-ila-12-years-old-1573730223Speyside-Whisky-Shop-HIGH-RES-53.jpg

Haven’t been to a cosco in a while, but I like something a little more Smokey
Also good stuff. I haven't seen it here in LONG time. I was NOT impressed with the 18. Very harsh.

Update. Just found my bottle of 12. Half gone...wonder how that happened?

Reactions: TurboTrout
So, I had to provide an update on my Commie stepson that I discussed earlier in the thread. He had his heart set on a job he had applied for. It was his dream job right now, so he had high expectations and was reasonably well qualified for it. Well, he lost out to a diversity hire and is torn up. He kept saying he was more qualified. I told him that his “cause” did that to him and to enjoy the fruits of his liberalism. Hopefully a few more slaps in the face will turn him around.

So, I had to provide an update on my Commie stepson that I discussed earlier in the thread. He had his heart set on a job he had applied for. It was his dream job right now, so he had high expectations and was reasonably well qualified for it. Well, he lost out to a diversity hire and is torn up. He kept saying he was more qualified. I told him that his “cause” did that to him and to enjoy the fruits of his liberalism. Hopefully a few more slaps in the face will turn him around.
He can always work at the truck stop! I hear those truckers get good benefits!

Also good stuff. I haven't seen it here in LONG time. I was NOT impressed with the 18. Very harsh.

Update. Just found my bottle of 12. Half gone...wonder how that happened?

I agree

I almost spent some $$ getting a bottle that was a year older than me, kinda a I should type deal. Had some of the 18 and decided I’ll save the money and stick with the 12 lol

I agree

I almost spent some $$ getting a bottle that was a year older than me, kinda a I should type deal. Had some of the 18 and decided I’ll save the money and stick with the 12 lol
Glad to know I'm not the only one not super impressed with the 18yo (at least to justify the extra cost).

Still depressing how much 16yo Single Malt Old Bushmills Irish has gone up. Used to be 60 bucks...double+ that now.

Even my new alternate - Reposado Tequila has gone nuts. Used to buy Milagro Reposado for 35 bucks all day long until the last year or so, now about 55-60 even at total wine.

We can't find any new employees but that might have something to do with management too fucking stupid to advertise for the job we really need filled 🤦‍♂️

Last edited: