• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where are my 3 gunners at?

Yup.

Hey look, a 3 gun thread made 3 pages on the Hide! Time for you guys to post more blaster pics!

This was my first match ever skill and gear have changed for the better over the years.

2nd annual Duskin and Stephens Memorial Match Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Yes fellas that is Ernest Langdon with the shot timer. That day I was placed in an All Star squad, and learned invaluable lessons, TTPs, tips and tricks. Guys were super humble and all about fun. Great way to get introduced to the sport.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
No ND's from people smoking their domes?
No, they shot one gun inside the track, left cleared that weapon, exited the vehicle and continued with another weapon. I don't remember if it was pistol, then shotgun, or shotgun, then pistol. What really struck me as funny was the sound when someone really tagged the overhead of the door frame for the track. BUUNNGGGGG.... It was a three day match, so between stages we would go back there to see if we could see people getting tagged. It was easy to do as everyone was pumped up to get a fast time, so they weren't careful enough unless they just witnessed someone hitting it.

Haha yeah that’s a little bit of heat!
Just dawned on me that anyone can claim to have a deep talent pool at locals, but I have photobombs to prove it!
Screenshot_2019-03-25-18-09-34.png

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Found a steel plate in the scrap bin and decided I needed something similar to a popper with a clay tosser. A few minutes of cutting and screwing later and this came out of the oven:
20190325_175523.jpg

It doesn't toss them very high but I'll play with fulcrum positioning later to see what I can get out of it. For now with the low toss it works great for practicing my Matchsaver port loads.

Found a steel plate in the scrap bin and decided I needed something similar to a popper with a clay tosser. A few minutes of cutting and screwing later and this came out of the oven:View attachment 7049412
It doesn't toss them very high but I'll play with fulcrum positioning later to see what I can get out of it. For now with the low toss it works great for practicing my Matchsaver port loads.

Hell yeah dude!!!

Dale

Just read about the geissele you recommended.
I was looking at the 3gun and this one appears it might fit my needs a bit better.

Will try the Elfman too as I can get a deal......
Have you ever shot an Elfman?

Cheers!

Dale

I was looking at the 3gun and this one appears it might fit my needs a bit better.

Will try the Elfman too as I can get a deal......
Have you ever shot an Elfman?

Cheers!
I’ve not used an Elfman, but have always wanted to try one out. I tend to prefer a curved trigger face I tried out the Geissele Flat 3 Gun and preferred the curved bow over it, but I felt the SSP to be superior in all aspects.

A person really has to try the Geissele 3 gun before buying. I won't say it's bad but it's not for everyone.
It really feels identical to a very light and short DA revolver trigger. You just keep pulling till it pews. No stages or wall that you hit, and it doesn't stack, it's just like stretching a worn out rubberband till it snaps without warning. It can be very fast but I have to imagine it would be disconcerting for precision shots.

A person really has to try the Geissele 3 gun before buying. I won't say it's bad but it's not for everyone.
It really feels identical to a very light and short DA revolver trigger. You just keep pulling till it pews. No stages or wall that you hit, and it doesn't stack, it's just like stretching a worn out rubberband till it snaps without warning. It can be very fast but I have to imagine it would be disconcerting for precision shots.
The 3 gun and SSP are night and day different I prefer a single stage a lot of people don’t. It works well for me, and I appreciate the zero take up, and I instinctively know when the hammer is going to drop and the rest is phenomenal with and no overtravel is present on the front of backend of the firing sequence.

The 3 gun and SSP are night and day different I prefer a single stage a lot of people don’t. It works well for me, and I appreciate the zero take up, and I instinctively know when the hammer is going to drop and the rest is phenomenal with and no overtravel is present on the front of backend of the firing sequence.
I really need to try one of these SSP's.

I also prefer a single stage. In fact I don't think any of my 3 gun buddies uses a 2 stage.

A fun stage at a local match was a 8' long 1" X 2" placed upright with red lines spray painted on it about every 8" or so. Shooter started 10-15 yards from the stick with rifle at port arms. On the start signal, the objective was to cut off the next section of the 1" x 2" by using rifle rounds.

Most folks shot straight at the 2" face, I went to the edge of the start/foul line and shot diagonally through the wood, thinking that each bullet would thereby carve away more wood and get a faster time....it worked. It was a fun stage, it is truly surprising how quickly it can be done.

A little bit of shotty practice today, some unloaded starts and some hot starts. My loading skills really took a dive over the winter. I need to get back on track before matches start in a few weeks. Digging my new clay flipper though.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I’ve yet to grasp the quad load and my JM Pro seriously needs to be opened up more as well as the forend needs to be shaved down and contoured.

but apparently it's a bit more of a perishable skill than I thought..
Man that aint no joke. I tried weakhand quads and worked on it for weeks. Then shot a major match and did only strong hand loads as there were only a few stages that required reloads on the benelli m2. I didnt stick with it and tried to pick it back up at a local all shotgun match.

First array into the new loading method...ABORT ABORT ABORT. lol

Man that aint no joke. I tried weakhand quads and worked on it for weeks. Then shot a major match and did only strong hand loads as there were only a few stages that required reloads on the benelli m2. I didnt stick with it and tried to pick it back up at a local all shotgun match.

First array into the new loading method...ABORT ABORT ABORT. lol
Stings to suck at something you thought you were good at don't it?

I’ve gotta figure out the quad load, I’ve got some small hands but I know there are plenty of women with small hands that throw them fuckers in there quick as shit quad loading.

Its all about the grab. Grab 4 shells and try loading them, then practice with a bit more speed. Keep adding speed until you fuck up. Then learn why, is the thumb covering the primer, or the edge.

Once you can get a consistent speed then move to grabbing off the belt.

For me on the first two shells i had to have my thumb in between the 2 sets of 2 shells or when i rolled my hand over the loading port my thumb would go in as well. I wanted my thumb to ride along the sides of the loading port.

Then once the first 2 were in id move my thumb to the top edge of the shell as i was bring my hand back to the starting point of getting the next set of shells to go in.

After this video i changed the angle of my caddies and it helped immensely.

What i wanted to try to do with this video was make the 2 *shnk shnk* sounds be closer together

This video i felt i did that even though you cant see it you can hear it.

Bit more shotgun practice today, set up a little stage, 3 targets, left and right targets can only be seen from either side or from further uprange. Center target has two little no-shoot plates in front of it and can only be shot from close up and exactly centered to avoid the no-shoots. The cylinder choke also means I have to actually aim at the top edge, again to avoid the no-shoots. I practice quad loading while traveling left to right, right to left (very important to practice for a right hander) front to back and back to front. Starting one in the chamber and one in the tube, so the load is necessary.
You can see me clip a no shoot in the first run:

Bit more shotgun practice today, set up a little stage, 3 targets, left and right targets can only be seen from either side or from further uprange. Center target has two little no-shoot plates in front of it and can only be shot from close up and exactly centered to avoid the no-shoots. The cylinder choke also means I have to actually aim at the top edge, again to avoid the no-shoots. I practice quad loading while traveling left to right, right to left (very important to practice for a right hander) front to back and back to front. Starting one in the chamber and one in the tube, so the load is necessary.
You can see me clip a no shoot in the first run:

Bro I feel like I just watched ballet on Broadway it’s just beautiful ❤️❤️❤️

Bro I feel like I just watched ballet on Broadway it’s just beautiful ❤❤❤
Thanks! Wait, thats a good thing right?

Still not happy with my quad loads. I just went back to the drawing board to evaluate what I forgot. Turns out I'm not putting enough downward pressure into the loading port, as soon as I get the first shell started in I start pulling my hand away. I need to be petting the gun if that makes sense, right now I'm slapping it.
Now to reprogram...

Thanks! Wait, thats a good thing right?

Still not happy with my quad loads. I just went back to the drawing board to evaluate what I forgot. Turns out I'm not putting enough downward pressure into the loading port, as soon as I get the first shell started in I start pulling my hand away. I need to be petting the gun if that makes sense, right now I'm slapping it.
Now to reprogram...
Petting the gun makes perfect sense!

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Anyone else get some practice in today?

I worked on 65yd plate rack offhand with rifle, because I suck at it. I gave up on trying to hold on the 6" plates last year and exclusively use the approach method. I come up from below/right of the target and pull the trigger as soon as the reticle hits the 4:30 edge of the target.

Then I actually got a refined zero with the PCC at 40yds, been blasting with only a rough zero so far. Got excited and threw a bunch of lead at the 400yd plate and figured out the hold needed to hit the berm, no impacts though. Reigned her in and went for a full size IPSC at 180yds, much better hit ratio.

Practicing quads in the man cave now, it's all coming back to me...

Anyone else get some practice in today?

I worked on 65yd plate rack offhand with rifle, because I suck at it. I gave up on trying to hold on the 6" plates last year and exclusively use the approach method. I come up from below/right of the target and pull the trigger as soon as the reticle hits the 4:30 edge of the target.

Then I actually got a refined zero with the PCC at 40yds, been blasting with only a rough zero so far. Got excited and threw a bunch of lead at the 400yd plate and figured out the hold needed to hit the berm, no impacts though. Reigned her in and went for a full size IPSC at 180yds, much better hit ratio.

Practicing quads in the man cave now, it's all coming back to me...
I wish lol don’t have a farm with a range on it anymore ??????

We were supposed to have an all shotgun match this weekend but due to low participation and no help to set it up/break it done it has been cancelled...most likely for the remainder of the year. That sums up 3 gun around here. USPSA is king.

We were supposed to have an all shotgun match this weekend but due to low participation and no help to set it up/break it done it has been cancelled...most likely for the remainder of the year. That sums up 3 gun around here. USPSA is king.
Dude people who don’t wanna help setup and takedown piss me the fuck off bro fuck that shit, I’ll fight somebody over it. If they don’t have a legit reason I’ll call them the fuck out every time!

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
Dude people who don’t wanna help setup and takedown piss me the fuck off bro fuck that shit, I’ll fight somebody over it. If they don’t have a legit reason I’ll call them the fuck out every time!
I agree. It kills the matches and in a few years its showing around here.

In 5 years of shooting I left 4 times.
2 of them were due to school
1 was family emergency
1 was needing to get my niece home after she shot a match. All the other times she was in there helping too.

Bummer. Don't the USPSA guy's also do all their own setup/teardown?

Our local shotgun match was scheduled for Easter Sunday. Thanks guys. Don't forget to schedule matches on Mothers Day again this year...

Bummer. Don't the USPSA guy's also do all their own setup/teardown?

Our local shotgun match was scheduled for Easter Sunday. Thanks guys. Don't forget to schedule matches on Mothers Day again this year...
Yea, typically setup is friday afternoon. But not all uspsa shooters also shoot 3 gun. With 3 gun out for an entire year and then every other month ladt year it lost a huuuuuuge following here. Uspsa still rules with a match ever sat and sun somewhere in the state.

Im heading over to long range shooting to give that a try.

Matches around here are always full day saturday setup, match on sunday. My family schedule does allow me to run out back almost every weekday to bust some caps but no full saturdays to devote to setup. To diffuse my guilt I make sure to show up early sunday and offer assistance in final setup before I start stage planning, then tear down before I start brass scavenging. I'm buddies with all the MD's and they wouldn't hesitate to call me out if I was slacking off. I do appreciate the guys that can make it on saturdays but its just not in the cards for me.

Anyone get some weekend practice in?

Not me. But my eldest son had a birthday and his wish was to shoot some old iron, so we got some of the real rifles out to 400.
20190330_155938.jpg

Didn't think to get a pic of the K31 or all the Mausers.

No outdoors practice the last two days, can't keep the targets up with 30+ mph wind gusts. Good news is with the time indoors I magically remembered how to quadload back to the old standard of sight picture-load 8 rounds-sight picture in the tic over 3 second range.

@DaleGribble82 threads flatlining again!
You shooting lately?

Blowing like a sumbitch here again today, finally gave in and decided to practice my wind calls at 500yds. Turns out I still suck, always start out holding too much wind.

@DaleGribble82 threads flatlining again!
You shooting lately?

Blowing like a sumbitch here again today, finally gave in and decided to practice my wind calls at 500yds. Turns out I still suck, always start out holding too much wind.
It don’t take too much hold at 500, I’m guessing you were shooting .223/5.56 though which can be a little tricky. Been tied down these past two weeks with two CJ classes, and last weekend I was in a CCW course classroom portion, I’d already done the shooting portion with my Baer. It shot great.

Yeah 223. Winds were going from 20 up to 30ish mph, but the hard part was it was switching from zero to half value. I could be hitting holding center one shot then need almost two mils ten seconds later. But crappy shooting still beats no shooting.

Yeah 223. Winds were going from 20 up to 30ish mph, but the hard part was it was switching from zero to half value. I could be hitting holding center one shot then need almost two mils ten seconds later. But crappy shooting still beats no shooting.
I’ll tell you one thing man, fuck a zero value wind. You can’t compute for it, you can’t eyeball it, you can’t do anything except hope your spotter if you have one sees exactly which way your round whipped in flight. Zero value winds are tricky as all get out.