• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Where Are We At With LPVO's

I’ve been playing with my first LVPO lately. A FFP Strike Eagle 1-8, nothing fancy. Mounted it on a 16” AR and have been dry firing, but no range time yet.

I’m adding ( in two days) a MRDS onto a ring top rail mount for use passively with night vision. If that works for me like it has for others, then I can’t think of a more capable optic setup on a general purpose fighting rifle. All the benefits of the high riser mounted red dots for passive NV aiming, but none of the poor cheek weld problems when not under NODs. 1x lpvo for close and fast shooting, plus the benefits of 8x mag to push 5.56 to its range limits. I’m excited to put this setup through some serious testing.

Reactions: JS8588
Killed this with an LVPO but I think I’m gonna swap for a 2-10 . One shot62 gr 223
9F78B473-09B8-4998-9D98-6660F4EF3EF6.jpeg

I've been away from LPVO market for a few years just running a red dot. Has the market given us a scope that is a true 1X with some type of reticle that is clearly visible on a bright, sunny day and useful to range targets, and under 20 oz in weight?
Its SFP, but the Primary Arms SLx 1-10x28 with the 34mm tube and ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is really nice. Comes in at 10.5” compact length & only 19.1 oz.

This is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but my buddy at the range had a Credo 1-10 and the glass in it was nowhere near worth the price. I would say the glass in my SLx 1-10x28 is on par, maybe even a little brighter, than the Credo. Everyone’s eyes are different, but 3 different people have looked through both of them, and concluded the same…Including the dude who owned the Credo.

Optics tech is coming along VERY rapidly over the last 10 years. You can get some damn decent scopes for under $1,000 these days. And having features that would have cost you $2,500+ were it built just 10, 15, or 20 years ago.

Its SFP, but the Primary Arms SLx 1-10x28 with the 34mm tube and ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is really nice. Comes in at 10.5” compact length & only 19.1 oz.

This is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but my buddy at the range had a Credo 1-10 and the glass in it was nowhere near worth the price. I would say the glass in my SLx 1-10x28 is on par, maybe even a little brighter, than the Credo. Everyone’s eyes are different, but 3 different people have looked through both of them, and concluded the same…Including the dude who owned the Credo.

Optics tech is coming along VERY rapidly over the last 10 years. You can get some damn decent scopes for under $1,000 these days. And having features that would have cost you $2,500+ were it built just 10, 15, or 20 years ago.
I had one of the Credo scopes. I will agree on the glass...it sucked.

It was then I decided I was done with the LPVO's and went with a Primary Arms Cyclops. Love the weight but miss the ability to stretch out as my eyes are not what they used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
I think weight is the only downfall to most of the nice lpvos, I enjoy running the several that I have. My favorite 1x is still the razor 1-6. It’s just so easy to get behind and on target fast. I have an atacr 1-8 and also a 1-10 razor. I like those better for mid ranges. While the 1x is still good on them I prefer the 1-6 razor.

And on to the mpvo, I don’t ever see myself using a 2-10 when I can jump into a 3-18 or 4-16 with a top mounted Red dot for similar size and weight

Last edited:
I don't get the MPVO+RD thing.
I've got rifles with dots, dots and magnifiers, LPVO's, MPVO's and HPVO's. Each one has the right optic for what I want to do with the rifle. The LPVO guns take me from 1-500 yards very well, the MPVO guns take me from 100 to 800. That's enough overlap that I rarely need an MPVO for what I'm doing, and when I do need an MPVO or HPVO, I have no plans to blast at contact distance.
I even threw a dot on an MPVO gun for giggles. Kept right on not using it at red dot distances ever and took it off.

I don't get the MPVO+RD thing.
I've got rifles with dots, dots and magnifiers, LPVO's, MPVO's and HPVO's. Each one has the right optic for what I want to do with the rifle. The LPVO guns take me from 1-500 yards very well, the MPVO guns take me from 100 to 800. That's enough overlap that I rarely need an MPVO for what I'm doing, and when I do need an MPVO or HPVO, I have no plans to blast at contact distance.
I even threw a dot on an MPVO gun for giggles. Kept right on not using it at red dot distances ever and took it off.
I get it, use the right tool for the job. But you're describing picking from an array of rifles for a specific predetermined purpose. If you have a carbine for multiple uses, or you're going into a blind match, the MPVO + dot covers 0-800 yards.

Reactions: Gasgun and jumrobe
I get it, use the right tool for the job. But you're describing picking from an array of rifles for a specific predetermined purpose. If you have a carbine for multiple uses, or you're going into a blind match, the MPVO + dot covers 0-800 yards.
Yeah, I guess. Personally, I don't see myself going to any blind matches anytime soon, and being familiar with all the ranges in my area, I'm not worried about any surprises with longer distances or unusally small targets. On top of all that, I often bring 2-3 rifles to any match just in case one looks stronger than another for the challenges presented.

Last edited:

So can a 1-8 LPVO and keep the weight down while doing it. I had no problem hitting a B-21E silhouette target at 600 yards with an 11.5" AR off a pack with a NF NXS 1-8. I'm not understanding the need to increase magnification and weight and risk a dot going down leaving you with a mid-range scope on a carbine that spends most of it's time at 100 yards or less. Matches aren't necessarily representative of the real world. I want the best tool where that weapon will be used 90% of the time and less is more on a carbine.

Not trying to change anyone's way of thinking because everyone's needs are different. Weight and simplicity are more important to me.