• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Where do I start?

WVshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
NC
So I'm wanting to get started on lining up a suppressor purchase and not sure where to start. I've been scanning this forum but I don't know where to start. Lots of references to form 1 and form 4, whatever those are.

If you guys could make some suggestions about what I should research first and what kind of order I should follow to pursue this it would be great. I noticed there's no Sticky on this topic so maybe if you all don't mind making some suggestions this could end up as one for this particular topic.

Thanks.

Start at your local dealer,

he will take care of the paperwork (if he is good), most dealers will fill out the paperwork, you just sign it and include your check.

You're only worried about the Form 4, that is what is submitted to the ATF for approval for your stamp. (the stamp is affixed to this form)

A company like SilencerCo has resources on their website

Silencer Ownership - Education ? SilencerCo. Firearm Suppressors

I'm doing same.

I'm starting where I usually do with writing down as many different ways I will use the suppressor in question as I can think of. Examples: What weapons systems will you use the suppressor on? How far will you be shooting, etc.

Then scanning the net and forums to come up with candidates that meet my use cases and rating them based on key factors, like cost, weight, length, POI and db.

At the same time, no matter how you proceed, you need a local dealer, either to order the suppressor through, or at least to do the final transfer, so you should find a local dealer, in parallel.

Then, decide whether you want to purchase thru a trust, corporation or individual. I'm going the trust route, so when I die, the other trust members can have the device without a hassle.

In addition to the suppressor, you need to make sure a mount system for that suppressor will work on your platforms. I'm having most of my issues in this space.

==

I'm sure the smart people can tell you more, but those are a few things to think about!

Ok thanks for the pointers. I went and talked to a local dealer a little bit ago and the guy there said they will do the trust for me there for free if I purchase a can from them. Does that sound like a good route to take or is it better to actually pay an attorney who deals with these things to form a trust? I've seen it debated before and it seems to get heated at times but is there any merit to the argument for using an attorney vs the quick route of whatever trust paperwork the dealer has set up?

I'm going to purchase a suppressor for my AR first since I've found a good deal on the legacy style surefire suppressor and I already have the old style brake on my LWRC.

I'm probably going to go the "attorney" way, but primarily because I think the attorney can help with other tasks as well, like our trust for our ranch, etc. (a different trust). I asked that attorney, "why use an attorney and not the $129 fee for silencershop?". He said, the on line templates and silencer shop probably cover the ATF issues, but might not cover the trust laws in the individual states. Maybe it is just a "feel good" fee, but given the potential issues associated with the downside of getting it "almost right", I think I'll do the attorney thing. If your freebee is in your state, the risk of missing the state trust laws is probably reduced. It is basically a matter of Risk management! I expect to get another silencer one day for my .308, 7.62 and .338LM, probably a Thunderbeast and I'll already have the trust setup for that round. So I'm thinking it is a "one time" cost.

Attorney's will probably always tell you to use an attorney, others might mostly say no need, might not be too many neutral parties, if your asking dealers that do it, or attorneys :).

==
One tip I got from another "Hider" is to make absolutely sure your paperwork is filed with the Feds when the dealer says it is, if you will let them file the paperwork with the ATF. Have them send it "registered" or "certified" even if you have to pay extra, so you can get a copy of the card, that way they will be sure not to procrastinate on sending in the form and blaming the ATF for the delay. I'm guessing the guy who gave me the tip was speaking from experience :).

I went through my dealer also. Was very simple. They did up the trust, took my cash, called me when stamps came in. All I had to do was take it to get it notarized. Very good choice on the Surefire by the way. ...you will be pleased.

The "attorney versus gun shop" debate is alive and well. For the record, I am an attorney and draft several hundred gun trusts per year. I am a big fan of knowledgeable attorneys drafting trusts, but that route may not be necessary for everyone. If all you want is a cheap and easy way to avoid submitting CLEO approval and fingerprints to the ATF (and nothing more), then a gun shop trust may be good enough for you. I say MAY because if seen gun shop trusts are legally defective - they literally did not exist because they were defective from the get-go. I would venture that most decent gun shops have a legally sufficient (meaning bare minimum) gun trust though. On that note, in my experience, probably 75% of attorneys drafting gun trusts suck - they may know trust law but they don't know the gun law side. You need both. On the other hand, gun shops don't know trust law, and many of them don't really know gun law either. It's sad really. Gun shop trusts, by nature, are one size fits all. Does one type of gun fit everyone? Does one type of vehicle fit everyone's needs? Of course not. Likewise, a one-size-fits-all gun trust doesn't really fit everyone's needs and wishes. Most people will never know their trust isn't a good fit for their needs and wants - primarily because the gun dealer didn't know enough to educate them on their options. A good gun trust should be able to last for multiple generations (can vary by state), allow shared usage of the NFA firearm (if the trust doesn't specifically allow this, it isn't legal), protect your entire gun collection (not just NFA firearms) from potential future government bans, avoid probate, appoint your beneficiaries and when they inherit (or even better make them trustees when they are adults so that the firearms continue in trust), and provide instructions on how to comply with the law after you die. Usually, gun shop trust trusts do none of that. If you want options like those in your trust, you need to see an attorney. If you don't care about that stuff, then a gun store trust, or online one from a place like 199trust is fine for you. One-size-fits-all may fit you. Or you could take a step up and get one from National NFA Gun Trusts if you aren't going to get one from an attorney. Much like firearms, you usually get what you pay for - and I know guntrust.guru has good trusts for an online source. I've read nearly all of the online trusts and think most of them totally suck. They may be legally sufficient (bare minimum), but they offer no bells and whistles. They are the Jimenez Arms .380 of the trust world. After you set up the trust, pick whatever suppressor(s) you want and then send a copy of the trust along with $200 per item and the ATF form 4 your dealer will help you complete to the ATF. Then you sit back and wait 6-9 months. That's it. Easy. Well...it's all easy except deciding what suppressor(s) to get - think about what you will use it for, on what guns, etc... Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I decided to go with David Goldman for my trust. It cost a couple hundred dollars but from what I can tell it includes all the important provisions mentioned as well as coming with a detailed set of instructions for making the NFA purchases.
I also decided to follow his recommendation of starting a bank account for the trust.

There seem to be so many differing opinions on which route to take I just decided to go the attorney route and hope that it gives me the most legally sound document. The guys at the gun store couldn't really answer many questions beyond how to fill out the paperwork and make the purchase so hopefully this is a better route.

Now to buy the can and wait.

Is there a particular way to name the trust?

I've read a lot online about just using your last name "Last Name" Trust. That's how mine was done but a guy I work with said he sent his in like that and it got kicked back and he had to put his full name on it. He sent in his paperwork for his first can maybe two years ago now and his last one 9 months ago. Anybody else heard of them kicking it back for that?

I've read a lot online about just using your last name "Last Name" Trust. That's how mine was done but a guy I work with said he sent his in like that and it got kicked back and he had to put his full name on it. He sent in his paperwork for his first can maybe two years ago now and his last one 9 months ago. Anybody else heard of them kicking it back for that?

I've never had a problem with just a 'Last Name Trust'. Several of my customers' trusts are titled as such.

You can name your trust anything you want, just remember the shorter the better if you do any form 1s down the road and you need to have something engraved.

WV, sent you a PM, but just in case I think you should contact Scott at Tarheel State Firearms (if you are still in NC). He can take care of everything and will take the time to answer all your questions. Awesome guy to deal with, especially for your first silencer purchase.