• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where is anyone finding Powder & Primers?

Nemain

No PX
Minuteman
May 9, 2014
Colorado
After a long hiatus I have gotten back into reloading & purchased some really nice reloading equipment for my 338 Lapua. I would like to try some Hodgdon Retumbo powder and some VV N570 for powders and Federal GMM #215M primers....Where in the hell can I find this stuff or what is the most reliable place to place some on backorder? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Keep checking powder valley's website. You can get plenty of primers right now, just not the 215M right now. You can find plenty of other good options though, just look often.

The best thing you can do is find a site put in a backorder and then wait. I just got mine today that I ordered on 10/23/13. I know its a long time but was worth the wait. And I did get the 215m primer's.

I've been on several backorder list and couldn't get any H4350 but kept watching Powder Valley daily and snagged an 8lb last week. Sold out in less than an hour. I've seen CCI BR2 from time to time and looks like it's time to try and snag a sleeve of them as soon as I can find them in stock.

I check cabelas and scheels every now and then. Primers? Yes. Powder? 10% of the time it is the good stuff, and if it is, it is only in 1 pound jugs.

Thank you, its too bad things are the way they are now. Either a bunch of people are reloading now or they are hoarding or both. It seems like the mfgs could step it up a bit to get caught up but maybe there is more too it than I see. Thanks for your help.

Gunbot and look in the reloading section. I am fortunate enough that my LGS has anything and everything that I need except Sierra bullets.. Not too many "precision" shooters in my neck of the woods so 210M & 215M primers are always available...

Nemain, most manufacturers are already working at max capacity, and have been for some time now. Takes a good bit of time to get new people trained up for most of the manufacturing tasks in this industry, and that becomes a problem. Typically, peaks like we're seeing now only last for so long, and then are followed by a major crash. People take stock of just how many primers they're sitting on, how much powder, how many cases of rimfire ammo, etc., and they quit buying. That means that all those new folks who have been hired, and (expensively) trained over the previous months or years, now have to be let go due to lack of orders. Most who have been in this industry for any length of time have seen this time and again, and most of the CEOs who run these operations are not only aware of it, they're leery of repeating the process. Trust me, been there, done that, seen it many times.

I try all of the above and gun shows. Fortunately my best source is my local gun club which usually have a good selection and priced better than Powder Valley, Weidners, etc. Was there Saturday and picked up 1# AR Comp ~$27 and 8# 4064 ~$170. Plus Tax @ 6 3/4%? (outside city limits). At the gun show that same day 1# powders were ~$38-40 and 8# were ~ $200-210.

Thank you, its too bad things are the way they are now. Either a bunch of people are reloading now or they are hoarding or both. It seems like the mfgs could step it up a bit to get caught up but maybe there is more too it than I see. Thanks for your help.

They are making it as fast as they can.

Also, many popular powders are made overseas (Australia is a big place for powders), and then they have to deal with shipping, which is special for the hazmat.

It is getting better, slowly.

After a long hiatus I have gotten back into reloading & purchased some really nice reloading equipment for my 338 Lapua. I would like to try some Hodgdon Retumbo powder and some VV N570 for powders and Federal GMM #215M primers....Where in the hell can I find this stuff or what is the most reliable place to place some on backorder? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Retumbo can be had at Recobs. Right now, there is 1($24.09) and 8 lbs bottles($172.19).
Browsing HODGDON

Not sure as to the availibility in your area, but here in NH our lgs's have an excellent supply of everything. Still high prices but at least the shelves are full.

Not finding any powder that I need. Primers aren't much of a problem locally but doesn't do me much good because I'm stacked deep in those. Like another poster said gunbot works well.

I find almost regularly powder and primers I use at my local gun stores. The only powder that is still scarce locally is RL15. I have found it though.

I don't have the money to buy in bulk and pay hazmat. So I buy a little at a time and stock up slowly.