• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Where, oh where has all the powder gone?

medic727

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Queensbury, NY
I started thinking about where all the powder has gone. Or, as I now think, WHERE is the powder? Yes there's hoarding. I've since found out that a large percentage of the powder we use is imported. And, the USA is probably the largest consumer. A good guess is that it is in a container on a dock somewhere, on a container ship or stuck in customs inbound and/or outbound. BTW customs for overseas shipments is nothing like getting by customs at an airport. It can take 3-4 weeks easily. US customs is HUGELY concerned about cutting off supplies for terrorists and/or WMD's. Smokeless powder must get a huge stink eye becauase of its' chemical signature. Customs also has to worry about the chemical signature hiding or masking possible contraband. It wouldn't surprise if each container was gone through item by item. I'm not thinking case by case, but bulk containers that are then re-packaged into 1# to 8# containers.So, now the offshore manufacturers not only have to refill the pipeline, but they also have to have backstock to replenish what will be sold.

Compared to primers there seems to be a lot of powder. I have not been able to find Federal 215 or 215m's for over a year.

I spent an hour on the phone a month ago and located 1500 215m's and 500 210m's between 2 stores in my state. Had to drive a couple hours to get them though. Reasonably priced at $4 /100 for the 215m's and 3.50 for the 210m's. Also found some VV570 as an added bonus. It was a very productive road trip.

Medic, you are correct. Most powders are now manufactured outside the United States. Retailers are receiving a fraction of the quantities of powder, primers, and projectiles they are ordering from their suppliers. When the most popular powders/primers hit the shelves it is snapped up, sometimes within hours. I doubt that container ships get to load much "gunpowder" per trip. Even though it is classified as a "flammable solid" gunpowder sounds "scary", and a lot of handwringing goes on.

I purchased some VihtaVouri pistol powder that arrived at one of my retailers this week. The bottle indicated the powder was manufactured in August, 2013.

The owner of a large LGS went out west a few weeks ago to a dealer show and he was told by two powder suppliers the powder companies have made a decision to sell the bulk of their powder to ammo companies because it is easier for them to ship and sell huge bulk orders versus selling to the consumers. My LGS asked who buys more of the powder and he was told the consumer buys more powder and the profits are larger too but it is easier for them to sale large shipments. This guy orders alot of reloading supplies and ammo, he has a $2 mil order on reloading supplies alone and he doesn't sell on the net. The last time he ordered half that and he said when he received it it was gone in about a month. I was astonished because of such a small community this LGS is in...

The ammo companies are consuming alot of powder trying to get caught up and stores stocked.With them buying the quanity that they do who do you think the powder companies are going to sale to first.Not us.IMR is made here in the states and Hodgden own's them.

The hoarding is like a run on banks.
Anyone who has ever starved will hoard food.
The Obama era shortages have turned millions of gun industry consumers from "just in time and pay as you go" into "I need a lifetime supply."

I am buying up test brass from St Marks where the powder is manufactured, and they are working hard down there.

We found some varget along with some other rifle powders, but after getting gouged 29$ have to savor every shot picked up some cfe223 but haven't tried it yet.

I agree, powder is pretty scarce but large rifle primers seem to be non-existent. I've only been able to find CCI, which is ok I guess but I'd really like some 210Ms...