• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Where the predator guys at

BigUn

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Chelsea OK
If this isn’t the proper place to put this someone help me out please.

When I first got my electronic caller I straight slayed the crap out of em, usually more come in than I could possibly shoot. Slowly my success has died down to where it’s about a 5-10% chance of seeing anything on a set. I wonder if I just killed all the dumb ones and made a super coyote?
I know certain times of the year are hard but the only thing I can think of is Ive either educated them or Ive killed enough of them so the rabbit population has exploded (it has gotten ridiculous.) and they’re just not in the mood since food is so available. Any advice would be welcomed.

100% night hunting w/ thermal
I’ve tried about everything, but I’ve had the most success with cottontail or baby cottontail (their main food source around here.)
I’ll play with some pup distress this time of year but I’ve never been successful with it.
I always set up on open fields surrounded by woods.
Tried a lot of challenge and mating calls back during breeding season and only got one big male.

I guess my main questions are what kind of success rates are y’all seeing? Maybe I was just in utopia for a few years?
There is no outside hunting pressure I’m on a several several k acre farm and it’s just me hunting

Ps- the only time I get busted is when a large group comes in I kill one or two, the rest get a free education but there is no way they’re spotting or smelling me from several hundred yds at night and I’m not seeing them.

Ps- the only time I get busted is when a large group comes in I kill one or two, the rest get a free education but there is no way they’re spotting or smelling me from several hundred yds at night and I’m not seeing them.

Darkness does not stop smell.

I understand, I’m just saying if they do smell me, they definitely aren’t close enough to see me or figure out what’s going on, several hundred yds away is the closest cover for them to hide at night. Just saying I couldn’t have educated an entire population i this manner imho

my success really drops off after Dec 31; figured it is partly due to the young-of-the-year pups getting shot or educated. I have had fair success using the pup distress just before dark. doesn't mean I always get a shot though. In part I think its because the wind dies down and the sound really carries and the oncoming darkness gives them a little more sense of security.

The first year or so of coyote hunting a virgin area is always awesome.
For me, hunting public land, with lots of pressure I expect about a 15% success rate.
Hunting private land with no hunting pressure, 50% or better is possible.

The first year or so of coyote hunting a virgin area is always awesome.
For me, hunting public land, with lots of pressure I expect about a 15% success rate.
Hunting private land with no hunting pressure, 50% or better is possible.

When I first started out I was batting 1000 for a long time before it started dropping off. (Hey this coyote killing is way easier than they make it out to be on tv!) I thought it would level off at an enjoyable level, but it just keeps going downhill. I need to find a hunting buddy with some new tricks...

Honestly it sounds like you may need to look for some new areas to hunt. Particularly with calling you can only hit the same area so many times before the survivor's get wise.
In spots that are hunted out I often do spot and stalk and ambush hunting in areas with lots of sign.

Great idea, I think I might try this. I need to get an electric golf cart and I think I could creep into the area and ambush em a lot easier.

Where I'm at, we have access to hunt on large sections of private ranches. We will call starting in late Dec, but by about late Jan the dogs are pretty wise. They are more synced with their senses and if they even see a vehicle they book it. The other thing is that dogs have a decent size territory and when you shoot one or two out of an area, other dogs will fill that void. Those come in and, depending on their circumstances, may or may not be more tuned up and harder to hunt. We'll chill on the calling in Jan, and do a more spot and stalk for a month or so, and then once the winter gets to dragging on later in Feb or March, do a bit more calling. Once the snow comes off of the valley here, it's hard to see them so unless they are standing out in a field and being dumb, we are pretty much done hunting them until fall.

Once they get educated try shorter calling sequence with more silence in between calls. Also try during the day before sunset. The place I hunt the owners relatives all bought fox pros and only call at night. You can’t get anything but owls and hawks to come in to the call at night anymore.

Canines are extremely communicative. I have been through several cycles where we exterminate coyotes and they get so smart you hear them barking and yapping at night but nothing works. Then new ones move in and have pups and they are so easy its ridiculous.