• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy a hard rifle case

just put it down in the case to check it out... want to look into how to lay it out. Want to leave room for a can and 2 mags... should have plenty of room... no way I’ll ever fit 2 rifles in one case though.
BB87415F-873D-4045-A0C6-32E9889855F0.jpeg

I’m looking for a pelican, Nanuk or similar style hard rifle case... I can’t for the life of me, find a store that stocks anything in the way of hard rifle cases, except for harbor freight and the Apache cases. I’ve seen them and I’m not too impressed with them even for the money. Am I missing something here? Most of my LGS only have the cheesy padded rifle bag, which is fine for a cheapy .22 or a beater rifle but I want something nice. I’d like to atleast check it out before I buy. I have a cabelas about an hour and 29 minutes from me but they only have cabela brand cases

P.S. I absolutely won’t do business with dicks sporting goods... they suck.
Have you checked the internet? I hear you can find things for sale on there.

Try Craigslist, offer up, and ebay for great deals on used things. I've scored Pelican cases on all 3.

I’m looking for a pelican, Nanuk or similar style hard rifle case... I can’t for the life of me, find a store that stocks anything in the way of hard rifle cases, except for harbor freight and the Apache cases. I’ve seen them and I’m not too impressed with them even for the money. Am I missing something here? Most of my LGS only have the cheesy padded rifle bag, which is fine for a cheapy .22 or a beater rifle but I want something nice. I’d like to atleast check it out before I buy. I have a cabelas about an hour and 29 minutes from me but they only have cabela brand cases

Pelicans/Hardige Storm cases are indestructible, but HEAVY....and then you probably are going to want to add a gun and accessories which makes them un-toteable. Use several 1750s and have three 1770s for custom Barrett M107A1 configurations. They are bulletproof especially for gorilla airline luggage destroyers. The 1770 is OEM for my Barrett MRAD MK22 Deployment Kit. With stock deployment kit gear and some extra added gear, the total weight is pushing 100lbs. At my age, starting to need all four corner all terrain tires, power steering, and a motor to motivate it. Considering backing off on the size and gear in a case and probably using multiple cases for a full turn out kit. Picked up several Harbor Freight Apache cases when on sale for $99 each. Really a great value for range and to farm travel if you aren't planning to 4wd on top of them. Bulletproof Pelicans would be best for air travel especially on really expensive foreign hunts. Gave HF cases to kids for presents to get them started. Performed well, without any breakage or problems. The HF uses pick-n-pluck foam which won't hold up as long as solid custom formed foam inserts.

Once a case gets so heavy I think it becomes non-functional as a transit/carry case. Friend mounted very long heavy duty drawer slides to truck bed for several Pelican cases to make truck bed slide out travel drawers. similar to the metal gun drawer systems. Cases actually designed to sit into the slide system so cases can be lifted out for transit away from truck.

Last edited:
I have a 1750 that I have had for so long, I paid $129 new for. It has been bounced around in the back of a pickup on numerous hunting trips out west. The outside has some dings and scratches but the latches, hinges, and seal are still working as they should. The only real negative is that the case itself weighs 25 lbs empty.

Another good case used by lots of 3 gun competitors to protect their tricked out ARs, Benellis, and pistols are Patriot Cases. They start out as SKB but add custom cut foam specifically for your firearms.

I got my Vault V700 from Amazon. Quick and fast shippingPXL_20201114_162147935.jpgPXL_20201114_162350681_2.jpg

The Harbor Freight cases are listed as having being in china and have one significant issue. The inside length was right at 50 inches. Would not work with my MPA as it is 50 inches. So, length matters in my case, maybe yours as well. Looking for a case, bring a tape measure

ExpertVoice if you’re a vet

Attachments

• 7E63801A-6961-43EF-A06E-ACC5A98102C4.jpeg
    7E63801A-6961-43EF-A06E-ACC5A98102C4.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 61

Grief! They aren't hard to find. I've got three and had no trouble finding them. One's a large, and the other two are the largest Pelicans. Finally realized I don't really need them going to ranges, just cheaper poly cases or gun socks, but that's another story. At least I know my favorite guns are well protected.

Midway, Midsouth, I can't begin to remember where I got them, and my secretary (me) does good to get them into a file, never to pull them out........

Qualifying note: I got my cases pre-Covid. Cases are about the one thing I haven't checked, but EVERYTHING is scarcer now with all the Covid/Biden/DefundPolice gun buyers out there! Guns, ammo, reloading equipment, optics, you name it, SCARCE !!!

Covid/Biden/DefundPolice is selling even more guns and ammo than OBAMA did. HARD TO BELIEVE, EH????

Hey, Someone tell Biden all these new gun owners are NOT buying their new guns just to give them back to Biden. XiBiden, XiJerk.

PS. For you older folks out there, like me, seventy or so........these cases are NOT lightweight. Combine their weight with the rifle inside and they can be a CHALLENGE. My 338 Lapua wears me out, and I have to call my son in law to carry my "cannon". So watch out for the blessings that become a curse, eh?

Check wing supply I know the handle pelican cases but I'm not sure if they have what your looking for but if they do it will be as reasonable as anywhere else

A few years back I bought a scope with side focus. Turrets were way wider than necessary. I bought a Plano, as it was deep enough for the scope. Shipping weight on the case was 20lbs. 6 heavy latches, wheels, pluck-n-pull foam and it's TSA approved.

Pelican Storm 3300, my REM 700 P .338 LM fits with Brake, I got additional foam to cut out ifor my Comp gun. Wheels, 6 latches, absolutely the best case I have ever seen. Con is it’s heavy.

Pelican and Nanuk make high quality hard cases, and if quality is what you want you will not find it at Harbor Freight! Cabela's Armor Xtreme hard case was rated as the BEST, by PertersonHunting.com. Better than Pelican and three others they reviewed, and it's also the least expensive - $179-$199.

This is a 53.1" inch rifle in the Explorer case (60" internal length.) The foam is almost too perforated. This would not fit in my Nanuk case without touching the sides (no padding for muzzle and buttstock.) It is an acceptable case but not Nanuk quality, so far my biggest annoyance is that the latches are on the lid. I feel confident it would be fine on air transport.
PRC in Explorer.jpg