• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to buy the best match .308 168 BTHP or 175gr SMK

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Gents,

What is the consensus for the best manufacturer or releasing shop that is recognized as the top quality gear for these two loads. Specifically, I'm looking at 168 and 175 grain loads for the AR 10 type rifle. I'd like to shoot anywhere from 100 all the way out to a right around 1000 yards. I know a lot of places use not only new Winchester brass but also look through a brass – Luapula obviously being recognized as better of the two. My only experiences come from Black Hills and Southwest Ammunition. Personally in my opinion the little pillow brass that is loaded with 175S and K is pretty tough to be. The drawback is it's really expensive so I have to turn to the piston system off and record my brass like a little kid. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that are out there that produce super high-quality ammo in these two ranges that would be comparable to Black Hills and Southwest ammo but won't break break the bank in doing so? Thanks for the help guys y'all rock,

If I could afford it I'd order 2 cases of SWA Lapua 308s and call it a day.

happy blasting.

Federal gold medal match is the gold standard for a reason. Unless you reload (and if you do, why are you buying factory ammo?), there is no reason to pay for Lapua brass. Hornady match (not superformance) is also top tier for gas guns. Both of these are top tier, found locally, and relatively inexpensive.

For what you would pay for high end ammo, you might as well get into reloading and tune it to your gun. Better ammo for you then off the shelf and cheaper in the long run

HSM M118LR works like a charm for me.
Me too, along with Copper Creek, FGMM and Southwest offerings. All run neck and neck in my M40A1 with negligible differences. Maybe there's a difference in the Applied Ballistics or other ultra premium offerings, but I'm too cheap to step into that pricing category for .308.

I was wondering the same as hlee, why are you worried about the brass type if you're not reloading, and if you are, why buy "premium" factory in the first place?

I just ordered some Lake City M118LR from United Nations ammo. 600 bucks for 500rnds.

I just ordered some Lake City M118LR from United Nations ammo. 600 bucks for 500rnds.

Did the same a while back, then bought 500 more from SG Ammo. The UN ammo was bulk packed, the SG ammo was boxed. I've shot a fair amount of the bulk supply with very good results. It clocks about 60 fps faster than FGGM out of my GAP Crusader and groups tighter, but I do see a few flyers.