• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Where to reload? Space and Environment Issues

kenmack

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
I'm about to start reloading but I don't really have a place to set up. I can put my presses most easily in the garage but I am concerned about the temperature and humidity variations and how these might affect my tolerances and equipment care. I also am considering a small, portable setup that I can put away when not in use. My concern with this is the inconveinience of setup/teardown and not being able to always stop work and resume later without having to move, put away or secure my process. My choice is hot and humid garage or in-the-way inconvenience. Any thoughts or maybe other solutions? I did a search already so spare me the haughty replies to do so.

Re: Where to reload? Space and Environment Issues

Setup the press in the garage. Keep everything else in a large plastic tote indoors. When you want to load, grab the tote and head for the garage.

Go with the small portable set up, you can carry it into the house, be in the AC ( mainly for less humidity) , do your thing and put away. Also you can take the portable set to the range, for load development. I have a set up on a small table made from 2 x 4's with 2 x 12's for the top (22"W - 26"L - 24"H). Big enough to mount a trimmer and press on. With enough room to use digital scale, loading trays,etc...

I think the in-the-way would be better, I had a set up in my garage and the press and two or three sets of dies got rusty, they still work but keeping them inside would have been better, if you have to set up in your garage make sure you keep your equipment clean and oiled and it should be ok, I think.

Kitchen table. ... I don't have a wife to tell me otherwise haha. I have my press on a portable work bench I picked up at Menards, it's a knock off of the work mate work bench. I took the clamping top off and put a piece of 3/4" plywood on it. I need to build a bench in the one room so I can leave the scale set up, it sucks moving things around all the time. I would avoid the garage unless you live in AZ, humidity will make things rust real quick.

I'm also new to reloading but I think I've put together a pretty compact and portable setup. I didn't see the need for a separate portable folding table. I bought a RCBS Rockchucker supreme. I countersunk a couple of 3/8" bolts up through the bottom of a 2" by 6" piece of oak (it's actually two pieces of 1x6 screwed together). Grabbed two 6" C-clamps, and a Crescent wrench out of the garage, and managed to stuff it all into a 19" Craftsman toolbox perfectly. Even has room for two sets of dies and some other small stuff (not pictured). It sets up in under a minute, a minute well spent when my garage is 110 degrees.

This is what I see when I first open the toolbox.
IMG_0480.jpg

This picture is mostly to show the bottom of the oak piece and the countersunk bolt heads.
IMG_0477.jpg

Clamp the oak to the counter.
IMG_0476.jpg

All ready to go.
IMG_0475.jpg

Most of my other reloading equipment fits into a slightly larger toolbox.

IMG_0481.jpg

The whole setup is pretty compact and portable, it lives in my closet, and can travel to the range easily. As of right now it's a pretty basic kit. One of these days, as I add more tools, or work in more volume, I may have to purchase a third toolbox, but for now this is working fine for me.

IMG_0482.jpg

When I reload, things like brass shavings from trimming/deburring, carbon from primer pockets, spent primers, small amounts of powder etc. fall on the ground and I'm able to sweep them easily in the garage. If you're reloading in your house, make sure that you are not doing it over carpet.

I have a single stage press setup in a 6' bookshelf, I load for several chamberings, but keep target calibers in the summer and hunting in the winter. The rest is stored in rubbermaid containers. If an open bookshelf is too unsightly, maybe an Armoire tucked in a corner. Also to add to fenwick, he is right that primers and sometimes powder can get on the carpet, nothing a little 5" space rug cant fix.

my brother does 100% of his reloading using a Dillon 550B and a Black and Decker Work mate that tears down and stores in the closet. He reloads his .284 Winchester, .308, and his 45 ACP on teh 550B. His ammo is excellent, as are his F-Class scores with the .284 Winchester.

I think total space taken up when the bench is in operation is roughly 3 feet by 4 feet, if you include the floor space taken up by the chair. I have a picture of his set up somewhere... I'll post it up if I can find it.

Jeffvn

Another vote for keeping everything in the house under better climate control and then just use the garage for the work. I have all my equipment in the basement in locked cabinets (kids) and I just walk it out to the garage and set it up on my workbench. Takes just a few minutes. And since I usually do my reloading in two steps -- case prep and then charge/seating -- I can just place the trays with fully primed cases in my locked cabinet and take them out and back to the garage when I am ready to charge and seat, which is usually a different day of the week.

OK, good replies. I forgot I had a workmate. It looks like I will be indoors, on a workmate, over a mat and with a system for easy and efficient setup and take down. Now, to devise a system...