• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

where to shoot in Norcal wth cheytac

Re: where to shoot in Norcal wth cheytac

Coalinga is a bit farther away than Panoche... maybe 30-45 minutes. I have not been to Coalinga, but not sure if they allow or have steel targets already set up. I know for sure they have trenches for people to put targets up and down.

I am pretty sure I understand which Panoche shooting area you are referring to, @sjb269, and I haven't gone past the gate which was closed due to fire season. The second area of Panoche I am talking about using is also closed until oct 15... you can shoot but you'd have to walk to set up and paint. However, there is third area in Panoche, even closer to the I5 that I have scouted for 1m+... I just have to get out there with a 4WD, which is needed for sure, to see if it's level as it looked like from Panoche Road. And it looks good from Google maps, but again, one has to actually go and see if there is LoS between shooting point and target area. I might try this next weekend... and see if it's doable.

And this third area is NOT closed due to any fire season issues... just need a 4WD to get there, mainly due to clearance, though there looked to be a bit of sand here and there to deal with.

if you're interested PM me your email address and I'll send you the GPS coords and a drawing of my proposed shooting area.

Sounding good guys, I am in. I will doctor up some rounds this week and we can go to Panoche if you want some time soon. I have a rig that can handle that terrain just fine. We can leave other cars back a ways. Spotting scope handled as well.

yeah I have a 1500 4x4 that can carry stuff. There is a great spot to park the cars off of Panoche Rd, and then we can 4x4 in from there. Now disclaimer is I or someone needs to actually make sure this spot is doable. It looks like it from Google maps and BLM maps. However, since I had my yuppie SUV with me last time, I wasn't able to go far enough offroad to walk the proposed range area and make sure the distance, level terrain, and backstop are all in place for good shooting.

So I want to take one more scouting trip, this time with my p/u truck and drive all the way out there, walk the range with my laser rangefinder and make sure it's all good to go. I might even go do that tomorrow AM actually...

I went to this area of Panoche today. It's quite close to an I5 exit. The bad news is the Google maps did not reveal a closed gate right where I wanted to propose starting the 1mi range... the sign said it was BLM land and you could walk, just not drive anything motorized.

The good news is I found a 1.11 mile end to end shooting distance much closer to the entrance to the area. It's safe. The only less than optimum situation is that intermediate distances may or may not be available. I can explain why when we are there. The area is much less than obvious how to get there. The road shown on Google maps (whch does a great job of showing almost everything out there) has been washed out. But I found a different path. A 4WD is required with factory clearance (I have a factory 1500 with stock tire heights I think). The starting and end points are all near fire roads, so getting out to set up, paint and check targets is easy... you have to drive a few curves, it's not as the bird flys.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested and maybe we can set up a trip. Clearly this would only be fun if you have the proper rifle and have had long distance shooting training, and use ballistics and measure/load your own loads. Otherwise your rounds will just get lost out there.

I may need a little guide work, but I roll my own and have ballistics on hand. Rig is more than capable.

Dang. A mile is just a tad to far for my .308 and I don't have dope for that anyway. If this is open to others I would like to tag along I have a 4x4 that seats 6. But will only seat 5. Sorry no cowboy in the center up front.

We can do find ways to setup intermediate targets and only move out to 1+ miles if anyone wants to do that, which I do. In fact I would want to start out at shorter distances of course. It may mean picking up and moving the firing line around and the targets, as it's not a perfectly flat piece of land, or hilltop to hill situation.

As far as decent spotting scope, I have not invested in decent, just cheap, and that's because I have a (home made) target cam system that should give us nice video of target holes. So that part should be no problem.

If you are up for it, we could plan a mid Sept weekend outing. I'd be shocked if we found anyone out at this place on any given weekend... it's remote and for shooting less than 500 yards, there are easier places up the road. Which we could also hit.

Let me know.

Mid Sep. Works for me. Dove first part of dove season will be over.

I'd propose weekend of Sept 17th... if that works. PM me your email addresses and we can organize.

There is a spot there, if you blink you'd miss the turn off. When you turn off, follow the road back about 50 yards and there is a little parking lot and one of those self pay stations. The sign does specifically state no target practice or any rim fire and I have seen the game warden out there. Ive always gone under the pretense that I was shoot at the squirl way over there kinda motto.
A bunch a guys blasting away would be a problem there.

Id be down for the Ponche thing in September, thats a hella of a drive from SJ. Is there anything closer maybe up north that anyone knows about?

B-

The spot on 152 that you will miss if you blink is called upper cotton wood. It's almost at the top of the pass.

thanks, sounds like 152 is too dicey. My odometer read about 110 miles to Panoche... about two hours drive, taking the 152. BTW, I called it Panoche, but it's closer to Tumey Hills BLM area.

If there us anything closer it'd have to be private ranch land ... like east of the 101 up in the hills... on the way to Mt Hamilton.

So from livermore it would be 2 hours to get there? I thought it was by Hollister/Gilroy.

It is closer to hollister but I thank on the hwy 5 side.

Just looked up camp Roberts and the ranges are closed to civies

Pretty sure Hollister is way closer than Panoche. Speaking of which have any of you guys shot there. I doubt they have anything over 200 yards but maybe?

the location of Tumey Hills is basically I5 and Panoche Rd ... you can google that. From Livermore, I suspect you'd take 580 to I5 south, straight shot. Not sure how long it would be.

You can get to Panoche and Tumey Hills from Hollister, but you have to drive thru Hollister and thru alot of slow windy roads... takes a long time. From the SB Bay area, you'd rather just go 152W, then I5 south.

I have some small 8" steel plates .5" thick. I can work up a mount for them this week. I don't care about holes I got a welder and for the most part free steel.

I guess I will bring my .308 as well.Cheytac will go right through no ringing at 1000 probably

Waiting on two full size targets to get cut from 7/8 plate now

bring that cheytac! Never seen one before...

0481, are you talking about AR500 steel? If not, then both 338LM and Cheytac will indeed drill right through. I am thinking of getting some AR500 steel made up... but I don't have a mount system made up for it just yet. The nice thing about AR500 is that you spray paint it white, then the hits are nicely visible even at 1000 yards thru even the rifle scope.

Also, I am going to bring some 4'x2' paper targets which can be observed by the target cam system I have.

No ar500 just plain ole steel. I don't mind if it gets hole in it. I have a welder.

I am getting an AR500 IPSC type silhouette, in time for mid Sept shoot.

0481, do you have a way of welding up a steel frame upon which we could hang these steel targets from? My IPSC will probably be around 60lbs or so...

I could probably weld up hangmans Arm type ( pole with arm) to hold a target. Use chain ( 2 pieces) and bring bolts for hanging if plates have holes on top. And then use t-stake for mounting arm rig to.Then when we leave just t-stake for next time out. Maybe? Yes cheytac is coming, not A Cheytac, but Lawton action in Mcrees stock. Will bring Mak tubegun as well. Weight on 7/8's plate will be fun to tote!

basically it's this target here, without the hostage face (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-130878535429541_2167_2578252), and chains from those two bolts (let's hope we don't shoot them out
wink.gif
. Dimensions are 18" wide, 28" tall. I am ordering it tomorrow, should be here by next week.

I think the hangmans arm would be pretty cool...yes, keep the t-stake there. I'd suggest leaving the whole thing there, maybe covered up, in case any of us wants to use it. I pretty much doubt anybody goes out to where I want to shoot... and if we camo it up, it'll stay undetected forever. Or we can drive there to pick it up... it's easy either way.

p.s. lets PM exchange emails...

This going to be a one day thing or some camping to.

You guys drawing straws or something for who carries that thing out to the 1000 yard line?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basically it's this target here, without the hostage face (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-130878535429541_2167_2578252), and chains from those two bolts (let's hope we don't shoot them out
wink.gif
. Dimensions are 18" wide, 28" tall. I am ordering it tomorrow, should be here by next week.

I think the hangmans arm would be pretty cool...yes, keep the t-stake there. I'd suggest leaving the whole thing there, maybe covered up, in case any of us wants to use it. I pretty much doubt anybody goes out to where I want to shoot... and if we camo it up, it'll stay undetected forever. Or we can drive there to pick it up... it's easy either way.

p.s. lets PM exchange emails... </div></div>

nope... the shooting area has the firing line and target area accessible by fire roads... super easy to drive out, set up, paint as necessary.

Im up in Sacramento and you guys are making me almost want to come just to see the Cheytac. That is one sweet rifle
laugh.gif

Aron-

For you all is the san Jose area look east. My hunting ground is burning up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DucRacer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a 1K range out by/in Davis.
J- </div></div>

Where is that? </div></div>

Sacvalley.org - it is actually closer to Ione/Sloughhouse/Rancho Murieta. You can see the cooling towers for Rancho Seco from the 1k line..;)

Did you guys ever make it out to shoot??

Yes we have been several times. It's a blast. No pun intended.

I have hunted the tumey and panoche hills since I could walk and my dad since the early 80s. I would be very interested in a shoot up there, and I am very familiar with tumey valley if we have a problem with the current proposed area. I have a nice spotting scope, terrapin lrf, 2 New rifles and a bunch of ammo ready to go when you are. Put me on the list

I hate to be a thread grave digger... But this is exactly what I'm looking for. Need to stretch the legs on my .338 Lapua Mag rifle. Does anyone care to share this location in Panoche (via PM is fine), or make another trip to this spot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to be "that guy"...but its illegal to shoot rocks on BLM land and gives shooters a bad name when they destroy crap</div></div>

Wow. Makes me really miss California. Glad I live here now where there's tons of public land and shooting rocks is the state pastime (when it's not gopher season
grin.gif
).

Shooting rocks illegal.. Whoda thunk it. And all this time I thought they were cheap targets from God.

John </div></div>

yeah i wish i could move out of CA myself.... but wether its legal or not id still recommend everyone walk there lazy asses out to set up a target lol.. it wont kill you i swear.. and then when your done... walk out and pick up your mess. ill have to take a picture of the spot i shoot at.. the amount of trash from shooters is insane. it looks like a landfill.

target shooters are there own worst enemy in CA.

You have obviously never been to Cow Mountain!!!
It would take you atleast 45 minutes to an hour to staple a target up at 1,000 yards and in most places 2 hours would be more like it each way.
Can anyone post the law showing it is illegal to shoot a rock?
I would hate to miss a deer squirrel or rabbit only to hit a rock and get a ticket,