• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Where would you go? What would you hunt?

King

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
Warsaw, VA
Gents,

It'll be a while, but in the next two years I will get to go on a hunting trip anywhere for anything of my choosing. Now, I'm a big bird hunter and I sincerely enjoy wing shooting, but I was thinking of expanding my horizons.

If you could go anywhere to hunt anything, where would you go and what would you go after? (I'm not excluding bird hunting - I want to hear everything)

I'm not a huge fan of the whole shooting released birds or animals that come to a feeder every morning at 7:14am if you get my drift. I want to go after something and if I come home empty handed that's alright. I love sleeping outside too but definitely enjoy the luxuries of a lodge -- all is fair.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Martin

Re: Where would you go? What would you hunt?

anywhere for anything

New Zealand

Gold Metal Red Stag

Plains Game safari w/ a Sable thrown in for good measure

I am partial to Texas golden triangle for a 170" whitetail

If you want a great Axis buck and Aoudad combo give me a shout I'll set you up w/ a great hunt at the Spanish Gourd Ranch

Guess I don't think as exotic.

Montana for elk, mule deer, white tail, antelope....and whatever else I could come up with.

White Mountain Apache Indian reservation for bull elk or Alaska for brown bear. Both would be archery hunts of course.

Alaska hands down if its a choice and money and time is no object. A cool hunt for a week is up in Canada for caribou ( you can shoot 2 in Quebec), you can also fish virgin waters and hunt ptarmigan.

I went a few years back and had a blast. I was all the way up near the artic circle, absolutely beautiful. I took a fishing pole, tackle, shot gun for birds and my 300wm and a bow for the bou.

I'd love to go to Alaska and hunt a nice bull moose. I'd also love to take a trophy bull elk on free range public land. Actually getting to harvest one of these animals would be great, but the hunt and experiance itself would be just as enjoyable.

I love the challenge of hunting in west Texas.

Nothing like stalking a big ol muley buck, or glassing for big aoudad on the cliffs then enjoying an afternoon quail hunt all at one time.

I'd suggest attending a hunting show like the annual SCI Meeting. attended by hundreds of Guides and other vendors. You could get an idea on prices, availability of hunts...all in one location.

MY vote would be Zimbabwe for a buffalo.

Like several others here, I would be dropped off in Alaska.

Last edited:

Another buffalo hunt in Tanzania Masailand.

Africa for Cape Buffalo, Crocodile, Hippo and Sable.

I went to South Africa in 2008 and hunted plains game. I took a 55" kudu, a zebra, a gemsbok, and steenbok, and a blesbok all for $6000. It was 7 days hunting with all meals and lodging included. I wish I would have taken a shotgun too because there was a ton of Franklins and Guinea fowl around.

Bb

scan0009.jpg

One more of these.....before I get too old to climb the mountain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One more of these.....before I get too old to climb the mountain. </div></div>

Old is only in the mind. A buddy of mine was up in AK to climb Denali and he ran into a guy named Fred Beckey. He is 89 and was up in AK to climb mountains he has been climbing all his life.

you could come on down to Mississippi for a mid summer, 90+ degree, all night long, coon hunt in some of our marvelous swamps and sloughs. plenty of mosquitoes and cotton head copper moccasins for everyone. and who knows, if your lucky, may even tree a coon.

just a thought

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0009.jpg

^^^^ with him
grin.gif

I make a great Sherpa...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0009.jpg

^^^^ with him
grin.gif

I make a great Sherpa... </div></div>

Thats my dream hunt right there. No mountains in Florida...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Loopdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pirates in the Gulf of Oman. </div></div>

+1000

Alaska, hand calling for brown bear or griz, moose, wolf, and lynx.
Do they have mt lions as a fair target? If so, add them.

45/70 loaded with garrets 540 hammerhead for a stopper, my 260 build for the rest.

Hell, add sea ducks and duskies to that for some damn fine waterfowling, get yourself a harli too.

Alaska for a BIG moose. Can hunt anything else I want to here...

Have hunted all over the planet but hands down, I'd go back to Alaska without a second thought. A boat based Brown Bear hunt out of Port Alexander or Afognak Island is an epic adventure that is totally different from staying in a lodge or a tent. You could also float one of many rivers for Moose. The Dall Sheep hunts put you in gods country and have a rugged charm to them (if you are not already, get in shape!). You could also hunt several of these same species and some really good Mountain Caribou right over the border in either the Yukon or NWT. In my opinion, the closer you are to the sea or the Arctic Circle, the more memorable the hunt. Even a Sitka Blacktail Deer hunt on one of the islands in SE Alaska would be a most excellent adventure. Sometimes I like to go by myself, at other times going with a family member or good friend is incredible. Good luck and have fun!

Since you like to bird hunt Argentina or a dove hunt.

Alaska moose is pretty fun, but chasing screaming elk in September is tough to leave behind to go do it. Hunting dall sheep is something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime, even if its just to tag along. I got one when I was 13 and bug dad every year to start figuring out where our next sheep hunt will be. it's only bee 20 years but I'm persistent
smile.gif

I'd have to Say. Stone Sheep Hunting in the NW territories or a Dall Sheep Hunt in AK.

You can find the Elk and the Deer in the lower 48.. the Dall and the Stone not so much.

O/C your looking at 10-20K for either.

Dall sheep in AK is awesome, I'd like to do it again someday. Mtn Goat is ahead of it on the list though since I haven't gone after one of them yet. AK is unlike anywhere else in NA, and mixed bag hunts are an option as well.

If money wasn't an issue Marco Polo sheep in central asia. Sheep hunting is adictive.

I've heard the dove hunting in South America is unreal and if you go to take something light on recoil.

Mountain goat, I don't know why but I have always wanted to hunt one and have a mount done.

Africa - anywhere.

Elephant and Lion - while we still can.

With those you care about with you - because you do.

I'll be there in September, see above.

Loopdog...Just classic.
Red Stag in New Zealand. Gonna have to save my $$ though, not cheap.
Bring two of my buddies from here and a few local Kiwis to guide and host. I wouldn't even mind if I didn't pull a trigger, it looks like a beautiful country.
Hike and hunt by day, share stories, lies and drinks by night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjb269</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loopdog...Just classic.
Red Stag in New Zealand. Gonna have to save my $$ though, not cheap.
Bring two of my buddies from here and a few local Kiwis to guide and host. I wouldn't even mind if I didn't pull a trigger, it looks like a beautiful country.
Hike and hunt by day, share stories, lies and drinks by night. </div></div>

I hunted there a few years back and shot a nice stag. Really special place. I'll be going back again someday...

Thanks for all the ideas!
I never would have thought of some of this stuff. I really like the idea of Alaska for mixed game... or pirates...

Big horn sheep, Canada maybe. But if you like birds, I have heard South America is good.

Red Stag in NZ would be on my short list too.

Top of my list for if I ever have too much money and could afford some of these hunts:

Dall sheep
Lion
Elephant
Giraffe
Red stag

Let's see for this guy it would be:

Ontario black bear hunt.
Saskatchewan whitetail hunt.
Hog hunt down south.
Antelope/Mule deer hunt out west.
Ontario moose hunt.

I'm pretty simple to please.