• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which 308 load to start with?

scott123456789

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Weatherford, TX
Reading through the 308 load thread there are 1000 of successful loads listed including for some formy rifle. As far as a starting point what thing do you consider?

It's for a .308 ltr factory rifle. It has shot decent groups with federal gold medal but I would like a load I can hunt with and still punch paper/ steel to 800 or so.

Lots of varget loads, 4895 and r-15 and it seemed like a 210 federal primer was slightly preferred.

Bought an RCBS starter kit but haven't bought components yet. Would love to get halls insight.

Re: Which 308 load to start with?

Varget 44.5 gr, 168gr SMK, OAL 2.80-2.82. Pretty standard load that shoots well in almost everyone's rifle.

178 or 168 gr AMAX over Varget with a proper load work up would be my choice for a do all round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneteam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget 44.5 gr, 168gr SMK, OAL 2.80-2.82. Pretty standard load that shoots well in almost everyone's rifle. </div></div>

I know some have great success but I thought amax was slightly preferred on deer and hogs.

Did consider running the hpbt game king but they are only available in 165 and I do hear many running it?

I ran some 165 Game Kings over 46.0 gr of Varget, oal at 2.80, they shot well out to 400 yards and would be great for hogs and deer.

Different people like different powders. I run Varget in my .308 though.

The 168 and 178 AMAX are good bullets to try.

Get Sierra's manual. Start with their accuracy load. You cannot go wrong following the book. They have 5 or 6 experts sitting and waiting for you to call with a question. Free. Do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1236</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Sierra's manual. Start with their accuracy load. You cannot go wrong following the book. They have 5 or 6 experts sitting and waiting for you to call with a question. Free. Do it.</div></div>

Actually you can as the Sierra manual is very conservative. They list 42grns as the max Varget load with 175s and it's actually the starting load listed by Hoodgdon. Hodgdon's website lists powder charges for Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders in their Reloading Data Center http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Does Varget have a preferred primer? I have a buddy with some 168 amax's he'll let me try so I will run some of them and perhaps buy a box of the gamekings as well.

note...the following response is from a relative noob (been reloading for just under 2 yrs now, with barely 500 personally loaded rounds sent down range).

I just started over with my load development. I'm committed to varget powder now after having tried RL15 and an IMR powder. It was most consistent from day to day with relative changes in temp going from 20 deg F up to 90 deg F. I shoot 150gr hornady SP's by default - my rifle just would not get the accuracy out of the 165 SGK's i wanted, and MY rifle is a HUNTING rifle which occasionaly gets used to poke a milk jug at the 500 yard mark. Albeit not so successfully...but it's fun to try, and makes the nut behind the butt a little tighter if you know what I mean

I've been thru the mill reading about different methods of acquiring the "best" load and one thing becomes very quickly apparent. what works for one guy may not work for another with the same rifle. I've also had guys sell a known working rifle to another loader, they work up the exact same load, or shoot loads from the original shooter with different results. the shooter has as much or more to do with it than the load itself IMO.

Now back on task. I recently was introduced to a method of load development from a Hide member called the OCW or Optimal Charge Weight and it makes sense, reduces time spent at the range DEVELOPING and allows for more time shooting.

The premise behind OCW is that you find a charge weight that produces a similar POI vs. POA across a range of charges. When doing the OCW test, you will note a set of impacts (shot round robin style) that all mirror each other. PAY NO ATTENTION TO ACTUAL GROUP SIZE, but pay close attention to the center impact of the groups. for instance, the following loads were using winchester brass, CCI200's, varget and Hornady 3031 proj's:

44.5gr
4453704631_ae760189ae.jpg

45.0gr
4454483318_fe98ee8322.jpg

45.5 gr
4454483438_80152fa4be.jpg

46 gr
4454483640_e835760381.jpg

4454483802_2eb99d6a2e.jpg

whats missing here and i don't have the photo is the 47 grain target but notice on the last 2 targets the POI seems to center 2.5" high, 1/2" left? The 47 grain target did the exact same thing and looked JUST like the 46 grain target. for all three different charge weights? BINGO. this shows relative consistency across 1 full grain difference in charge weight with similar groupings as well. we now have a forgiving load and the overall group size can be tweaked with seating depth. this alone is a very discouraging topic with a bunch of VERY opinionated folks talking all kinds of voodoo to find the optimal depth for a particular bullet and frankly, my calculator does not have enough ink on the buttons for me to remember what button does what after inputing all that data. Then there's another chap who says "if your groups are big triangles, seat deeper in 1/4 turn increments (or about .010"), and if you have 2 rounds touching with one out there, seat further out" or something similar to this. I tried it...it works to a degree and did not account for all the time spent doing all this actually screwing down that pesky nut behind the ...yeah, you get the idea.

My point is, its downright dangerous to jump on a forum, ask everyone what their favorite load is for a JimmyJamFlimFlam Lead Slinger Deluxe Tacticool Bang Stick.

Every rifle is different. and each will react to different loads in a different way. This is WHY we reload. we like to tinker and none of us can leave well enough alone.

Part of me wishes i had quit fawkin around when I discovered my rifle absofawkinlutely LOVES federal blue box 150 gr SP's and winchester white box 150 gr SP's. both shoot better than an inch and cost 13.97 at walmart. All day long. I can't reload for this price, much less cover equipment costs. Fortunately for me, alot of my equipment was donations, hand-me-downs, and charity auctions...for these I am eternally grateful for the relaxing past time that reloading can be, and is for me.

Take your time, start low, work up, and make a load for YOUR rifle. there's no shortcutting this procedure. Rifles are like kids. Some need a good whack on the butt sometimes, and some just need a little more grace and love than others.

Give the OCW or a ladder test and let us know what YOUR rifle likes. then...for God's sake, don't change anything on it. I put a new stock on mine, and it's back to square one...

What was once this:
6146555615_7e941e91af_z.jpg

and this:
3796798472_dfc51578b8.jpg

and this:
4418967650_cc06ae3a93.jpg

is now this after putting my rifle into a new stock:
IMAG0300.jpg

talk about disappointing
smile.gif
Let the fun begin again...just bought more powder and bullets. For the record, the left target is my sons, from same rifle. mine's the one on the right and equally as unimpressive. I will note that the first shot of the day was the center punch on the left target, and was to be considered the only CBS of the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott123456789</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Varget have a preferred primer? </div></div>

I have used Fed 210M and standard 210s and they work fine. Also CCIs.

Basic .308 loads, 150SMK and 46gr of Varget. 168SMK and 45.5gr of Varget. 175SMK and 45gr of Varget.

Unless you're shooting beyond 300ys, don't bother with anything but the 150SMK load to start. The 175SMK load is for beyond 800yd.

The .308 is a great beginner cartridge unless you know you'll probably be going a long time before you shoot beyond 300yd. For up to 300yd, the .223 is probably much better.

Until you're an accomplished shootista, something like a Fed 210, Win WLR, or a CCI 200 is enough primer (for large rifle primers).

Match primers are for folks who consistently shoot 1MOA or better without them at 100yd. Until then, the additional cost is usually not warranted, and when it is warranted, don't be expecting a night and day difference

Match loading is important for the days when you're willing to go the extra mile in order to pick up another point or two. Basic handloading, done with due diligence, doesn't leave a ton of room for improvement. It is is all too easy to pass from the realm of the sublime to the ridiculous with match handloading.

The centerfire cartridge is basic training, for both shooting and handloading.

But the brunt of your training and practice is likely best done with a simple, basic and reliable 22 bolt gun.

Greg

Have only run 168 smk through the rifle but the first and only attempt at a group at 100 was 3/4" decent but am still expecting more once the load is dialed in. Buddies house down the road has a 500 soon to be 700-800 range built. Was struggling to hit the 5" square plate but had no problem with the 8" plate. Was only shooting a 9x scope but that changed this week as well.

Furthest a hunting shot can be is about 250 but still planning to dial in one load that will work for everything and go from there.

Also I am in North texas so the tolerance of Varget sounded like a good idea as some days I shoot its 110 degrees and then hunting can be 20 degrees.

I just got my .300 win mag. Going to start with varget and 168 amax. My ar greatly prefers rl-15 over varget. It all depends on your barrel. Gamekings would be a good place to start and they would get you to 800 on paper. I don't know if i try to hunt past 400 or so for the sake of the animal and finding it so i can put it in my belly!

i got a few reloading books, started with the lowest and worked my way up till i found something that worked for me.